Fletts

Thought I was alone

I am a mother of an 18 year old boy who has AS. I joined this site to see what other people's experiences were. I have been feeling very misarable lately due to my sons behaviour and am feeling very trapped knowing there is no way out, ever! Usually it is the children who when they go up want to leave home, but if I could, I would walk out and never go back. I think I am very depressed. Usually I bounce back after a week or so after one of his "epsiodes" , but its not happening this time.

What this site has done for me is to realise I'm not being pathetic as I see so many other people feeling the way I do. It has also made me realise that me and my family are not the only ones being let down by social services. We have had to get a solicitor to help us fight our case with our local authority. It's been years of struggling, struggling for help and struggling with living with my son. But it really has helped me start to put some perspective back in my mind on our situation seeing what other people are also going through. I had no idea so very many other people were being treated so badly.

Good luck to you all.

Sorry you're having such a bad time of it . As you've seen, you're not alone. Don't feel guilty about feeling the way you do, we all feel like that sometimes, our kids can push us to the very limits. Take care >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Fletts,

Welcome to the forum.

You're certainly not alone feeling like you do >:D<<'> . My son is 17 (AS) and it feels like all I've ever done for years is fight for support for him :fight: .

Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling? If you haven't, please do. I was at the stage a couple of years ago where everything got on top of me. I never thought I would end up not being able to bounce back, but I did. I forced myself to go to the doctors in the end, I was always too proud to admit that I couldn't cope before and just muddled through.

We're all here for you too >:D<<'>

Annie

xx

Hi Fletts,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Alone you are not........This is a very good place, if only to read and not comment. I think seeing you are not alone really helps you get back on track and face things differently.

Take care

Hi Fletts,

I just wanted to add my welcome to you >:D<<'> and to agree with the other's who have posted above.

there is a difference though, between things getting on top of us and really not being able to bounce back.

I was forced to admit this a couple of years ago and went to the doctors. I am a fighter and a survivor, but sometimes you just need a little extra help. He suggested anti depressants and couselling and I was really concerned that since nothing about my life would basically change, that I would become psychologically dependent on taking a-d's.

I took them for just over a year and stopped in July. I wish I had sought help sooner, even though it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. If you really think you are depressed, please ask for help, it need only be a short term "helping hand". If I find myself feeling like that again, I would not hesitate to ask again. In the meantime, I have also found this forum, which to me is like a support group but better. You can visit as often as you like. You will always find people who know what you are going through. Sometimes you will want to post, other times you just read - I am so glad I found it!!

WELCOME - look forward to reading your posts.

Phoebe

Big welcome to the forum Fletts >:D<<'> >:D<<'> The best thing i ever did was go to GP when it all got too much.......it has helped enormously and I wish I had gone alot sooner, instead of struggling on, hoping things would improve :D Take care >:D<<'>

Hi I wanted to add to what others have said.Many people ask for help with depression at some point.It is not a sign of weakness.Carers are known to be more vulnerable than the general population.Many of us here have had counselling or medication at some point-so you have plenty of company. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Regards Karen.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Welcome Flett, I am fairly new to the forum too as you say its good to find out your are not alone. This forum has helped me enormously at a time when I was very low, I am waiting for counselling and have been to see my GP, which at the moment is my best advice. I totally agree with all the comments above and assure you that you'll find much support and understanding here, the people are lovely.

Clare x >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of support here :D

I also feel at times very low and I think that I can't cope anymore but then I bounce back. :bounce:

Keep posting here, you'll always find people who understand you.

Curra

Welcome to the forum Fletts. :) I hope being here helps you as much as it's helped me. My daughter turns 18 this month.

K x

And welcome from me too. I am newish (long time member but as a lurker!) and have found this site very supportive and informative. I recently went to my GP as my usual get up and get on with it had got up and gone. Every day seemed so dismal and I just couldn't shake it off. 7 weeks of antidepressants later and an appointment to see a counsellor in a fortnight is making a difference. I felt like such a failure, admitting defeat and saying I couldn't cope. But now I don't see it like that. I am a single mum coping alone with what most couples would find hard. I am entitled to have feelings even if they are depressive ones. It doesn't mean I am a failure, it means I am HUMAN!!

Hang in there. Tomorrow's another day.

Hugs

Sam >:D<<'> >:D<<'> x x x

hang on in there chic! >:D<<'> dont see it as failing if you make that treck to the docs....

i often wonder what will happen when el is late teens, will she leave home? she says sometimes that she never will and some days i dont mind and others i feel like ripping my hair out at the thought of it....

nope, you are defo NOT alone!