Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

L is 18 today!

Where did the years go?? I now have an adult daughter - how did that happen? I feel barely grown up enough myself to have children, let alone a grown up one. :o:unsure::lol::crying:

Wish I could just sit back and enjoy it, but we've had a turbulent few years and I'm not sure what the future holds for L: I know you guys understand the worry and uncertainty. Although she 's chronologically an adult, she's got a long way to go before she's independent - if ever.

There are encouraging things happening at the moment though: she has got herself involved in disability advocacy at college; something she is passionately interested in and quite vocal about. She is going to be one of a group going round to workplaces talking about the needs of disabled people in the workplace. It may lead on to some kind of career - who knows? :pray: And we live in hope that she will pick up some GCSE's along the way.

She had a great birthday celebration over the weekend with two old schoolfriends round for a sleepover. They are lovely girls who have always accepted her as she is. When she spent a year without any contact with the outside world I never thought she would be doing things like this again. Her confidence is growing - slowly, but it's growing. :)

K x

Many happy returns, L :thumbs::thumbs: and big >:D<<'> >:D<<'> for mum too!

Whoda thought it... 18 years ago today you looked down at that wrinkled little bundle, then pushed him out of the way and said 'that's enough - now give her back to me!" :lol::lol:;)

T'was, as they say, the begining of a great adventure... I'm sure there are lots more to come!

L&P

BD :D

Kathryn.......18 :o:o blimey!!

Sounds like L reaching eighteen has stirred a mixture of emotions for you >:D<<'>

HAPPY EIGHTEENTH L :bday:

Brook :)

:bday: Happy 18th Birthday L

Kathryn, a special day for you too - congratulations.

Thank you for sharing its inspirational and give us hope.

Clare x >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear L, Happy Birthday to you!

(Just be glad. This way you can't find out just how bad I am at singing. ;))

Hope you have a great day. Also congrats mum at making it this far. Here is to many good years to come. :cheers::wine:

:partytime::bday::band::groupwave::party:

>:D<<'> hiya Kathryn, it sounds like things are going better for L ..........a sleep over, and the possibility of going and talking to staff in thw work place...........well done to L.

...............................HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY

Happy Birthday L :bday:

Katherine...it just flies by doesn't it? It's a new chapter..... >:D<<'>

Happy day to you all.

flora :D

Thanks everyone - and on L's behalf too. >:D<<'>

We went out for a meal tonight and L ordered her own food - after telling me off for trying to do it. :lol:

It was a lovely day - and helps to cancel out the awful memories of the last significant milestone- her 16th - when she wasn't speaking at all and spent the day in complete meltdown.

I felt thrilled but panicky when she was born - didn't know what to do with this helpless little thing. I'm still looking for the instruction manual... :huh:

K x :rolleyes:

Edited by Kathryn

Happy Birthday to L!!!

You didn't mention it when I bumped into you but let me talk about all my problems!! You should have said.

I'm happy to hear you had such a good day after everything you have gone through.

pim

Happy Birthday to L!!!

You didn't mention it when I bumped into you but let me talk about all my problems!! You should have said.

It wasn't deliberate - honest! As L was at college that day in many ways it felt like a typical Monday. Perhaps we should have gone for a coffee again, then it would have come up in coversation. :lol:

Thanks again everyone for the good wishes, and as always for the support you give me >:D<<'>

K x