pearl

JP's last day at college.....

... was today. :crying:

He's got 3 passes, 12 merits & 3 distinctions in his Btec, and to think when he first started they were querying if he was on the right course :rolleyes:

So he's just going in for the odd half day now for extra curricular stuff. Then time off till he starts his apprenticeship mid August.

Its been the best 2 years of his life.

Ooh this is scary.

Bet you are so proud of him pearl,how is your son about leaving college?does he get nervous about the future?

I smiled when I read just the heading, must be a nice feeling as well to have got throw the educational years, I sure am finding it stressful but from the actual post it looks like your proud as punch but at the same time feeling a sence of loss because he is now all grown up and has achieved the unbelievable, but I am sure that he has got where he is with some of that support from his mum too.

Both go and have a good old celebration dinner at the weekend and bring in the next chapter of his life, Adulthood, wow, I cant imagine even J going to college, so I hope he gets somewhere close to your son.

Congratulations, and the Distingtions sound amazing, I know how hard college is as I atteneded as a mature adult and those assignments are a real head do especially for B-Tecs.

He got further than me as I quit due to mother-hood, housed-hood and me-hood!

I wish him the best of luck and well done to the pair of you. >:D<<'>

JsMum

Bet you are so proud of him pearl,how is your son about leaving college?does he get nervous about the future?

He cant quite believe it Hev, yes he does get nervous about the future but more about the rest of his life than the next couple of years! :lol: He's making plans based on getting a permanent job after the apprenticeship, lovely to have that hope but if anything goes wrong his world will collapse, you know how fixated they get on something they believe is GOING to happen?

I just wish the outside world was as supportive as college has been, its made us realise how things should be, still we are VERY glad to have had this, not complaining honest!

from the actual post it looks like your proud as punch but at the same time feeling a sence of loss because he is now all grown up and has achieved the unbelievable

Thats EXACTLY it, JsMum - its bitter sweet. Happy, sad all at same time. And feeling like our safety net has disappeared.

Thanks for your lovely post. I'm sure there's something good in store for J. >:D<<'>

Pearl! >:D<<'>

It's such a big moment for you all....I wish JP every success and hope he gets a permanent job out of this, if he's anything like you, he will have determination and drive and I am sure will be very successful. His achievements are fantastic to date and I have great faith that he will move forward and keep making you very proud!

Love Lisa xxx

Aah, thanks Lis >:D<<'>

Today, the first day of the rest of his life, he:

1. booked his driving test

2. overdosed on computer games!

Wow, it must feel like a monumental day, the end of his student career and the beginning of life out there in the big wide world, I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit wobbly, I can't imagine it at all. With all the problems and stresses and strains that schools and colleges bring, they are a safety net in a way, aren't they. You know there are teachers and other people involved and working for you on your side, but when they leave it's like you're on your own, I bet!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Yep, thats it, Mel. You know what it reminds me of?

When you have your first baby - all the help in hospital - then home - family round helping - then, other half goes back to work, and you are on your own for the first time & have to cope, aaaagh!

Its weird how unconfident I feel after all these years.

got all this to come, but I think I can imagine how :tearful::tearful: it must feel >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Well done him, well done all those who've been there for him, and very very best for that apprenticeship :) Not going anywhere near Alan sugar, I hope! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

got all this to come, but I think I can imagine how :tearful::tearful: it must feel >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Well done him, well done all those who've been there for him, and very very best for that apprenticeship :) Not going anywhere near Alan sugar, I hope! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Thanks BD. I think he wants to BE Alan Sugar! :lol:

Proberly a job, I dont think I would be able to cope with uni as college is hard and trying enough! :rolleyes:

Yes JP feels the same. He had a HE place lined up as insurance but is much happier to be earning & learning. And we are hoping an apprenticeship will be more transitional than going straight from college to a regular job. :pray:

What are apprenticeships actually like? They didn't exist when I was 18. Do they usually lead to a permanent job?

I'm wondering if they are better for people with AS than degree courses. Although the technical side of an apprenticeship could be beneath some people, in theory they will learn more business experience and soft skills which employers are increasingly wanting nowadays.

That's an impressive collection of results, well done to him! :thumbs: I hope he enjoys his time off before the next phase of his life starts in August.

Let us know how the apprenticeship goes.

K x

Wow thats fantastic news and brill results :D

whats his apprenticeship in?

Business admin, summertime. He'll do 4 6 month placements in city council offices & do NVQ level 3 in business admin, learning office skills.

What are apprenticeships actually like? They didn't exist when I was 18. Do they usually lead to a permanent job?

I'm wondering if they are better for people with AS than degree courses. Although the technical side of an apprenticeship could be beneath some people, in theory they will learn more business experience and soft skills which employers are increasingly wanting nowadays.

JPs is an advanced apprenticeship Canopus so his NVQ will be A level standard. Theres also regular apprenticeships where the NVQ is GCSE standard. We thought it would suit JP as he'd already held down a christmas job, & apprentices are closely supervised which he would need. He actually had a place on a foundation degree course but preferred the apprenticeship.

In large companies (JP's is city council) they generally do lead to a permanent job. They are encouraged to apply for permanent posts throughout the apprenticeship. At the very worst he'll have had 2 years experience which will stand him in good stead if he ends up applying outside city council.

Apprenticeships in smaller places can be less fruitful. JP was offered 2 in tiny firms at just �89 per week, the minimum they can pay, whereas at city council he starts on �10k. And of course in a smaller place, less chance of a permanent job.

Thanks Baggy. Yup, deffo a mixed bag! I can laugh & cry in the same sentence at the mo. It was like this when he left primary school. Not high school, sigh of relief there. Its when he's been safe & happy somewhere.

I can understand that, I feel the same with our girls. Both are happy and settled in their school placements, but youngest dd cannot stay beyond year 2 in hers, and she goes into Year 2 in Sept. Eldest dd goes into year 5 in Sept......and then it's only one more year till secondary :tearful: Now that does scare me :( It makes such a huge difference when you feel they are being well cared for and I wish it could always stay this way :rolleyes: