summertime

whole school training

As some of you may know I'm leaving my current school at the end of term and before I go the SENCo has asked me to do some whole school training with any member of staff who feel they need it, Ive invited staff from the pre school along too. some of the staff have had ASD training before but its been a couple of years.

Ive only got an hour and want to do lots of theory so afterwards hopefully they can work out things like why M doesnt work well while sat next to the extractor fan in the corner, or why B doesnt understand why he shouldnt refer to a certain dinner lady as 'the fat one'

Is there anything you really wish your child's teacher understood, or anything that seems to crop up time and time again, maybe I can incorporate it in the hour

summer x

How about some basic information about sensory integration.We have had numeous difficulties because school staff did not understand the impact of crowds,sudden noises etc.Last weeek I discovered the staff had never had any training regarding sensory issues.Hence they had not thought about very simple quick strategies to solve the problems Ben experienced.

I felt frustrated for the staff....ages spent resolving outbursts that could easily have been prevented if they had understood the problem.Karen.

I'd like our school to be able to recognise J's differences and stop expecting normality from him. He's not normal, he has a variety of needs and although he appears to be the same as everyone else on his calm days they must accept that he's not. He only behaves calmly sometimes because environmental factors are right on that day and that enables him to cope. It's not that he's 'trying harder' as some seem to think. Explain that you can't make a child normal by treating him normal - he actually is different and has to be treated accordingly.

I'd like them to accept that some days are better than others, that external factors will play a part and that because he could manage something one day doesn't necessarily mean he'll cope the next. You need to be on your toes with AS kids, they can change in seconds if things go wrong for them.

You could help them to understand the importance of peer-involvement. If other children are aware of SNs they might be encouraged to be supportive rather than abusive. Otherwise it's easy for our kids to become the class floor-show, wind him up and watch him go.

Most of our children have sensory issues in some form so I agree that would be a good place to start. I would also suggest having plenty of handouts so that you can touch on various subjects but give out back-up reading material so they can find out more. A list of recommended reading (eg Martian In The Playground), for those who really want to understand, maybe some of the Kathy Hoopman novels to share with the children they teach, web links etc.

Above all, make it clear that ASDs are extremely wide and varied and one stereotype will not fit all children with a diagnosis (let alone those without). Encourage open-mindedness, recognition that what worked for Billy in Y2 won't necessarily work for Eric in Y3 because their unique presentations of autism will probably be very different.

That's my ten-pennorth.

Karen

x

On extreme makeover last week(yes i am a sad person). The team were doing a room for a child who was blind and had asd.

To help him understand they blind folded him(school staff) and a few people around himdi a differnt action ie talking, playing music, banging a drum humming blowing or touching. At the same time he was supposed to follw the instructions he was being given. Maybe a similar idea could be used to show how stimulus can affect the kids?

From a young AS boy which might be helpful,

1. How did you interact with others when you were young and how do you interact now?

Not very well. I found it very hard and everything ended up with fighting. I didn?t know how to approach them or how to ask to join in so I ended up messing about and then pushed it too far. So eventually I stopped interacting because it always ended up in a fight and I got into trouble. Now I get on a lot better with people. I had to learn social skills and how to interact. Some people find this easy but I had to learn the rules of getting on with people. Now in school, I am sometimes on my own at break and at lunch. My form teacher has a games club that I go to I can play chess with others here. I also have made a friendship with another boy with Asperger Syndrome. He likes the same things as me. I feel comfortable with him because we understand each other. I think it is a good idea for teachers to have a games club especially for people with Asperger Syndrome who may find it difficult to interact during break and lunch. It is easier to interact with others when we have a purpose, such as playing a game of chess.

2. Did you have any difficulties with communicating with others?

Yes I did understand but found understanding metaphors difficult. Now I have learnt what these mean and I understand a lot better. I have an Asperger Dictionary and it tells you all the real meanings of funny sayings. I use this for homework and when I hear something that I am not sure about.

Sometimes I feel it difficult to tell someone how I feel or to ask for help. It is a good idea to meet with a teacher each week, if possible, and to tell the teacher about your problems and tell them if you need help.

3. Did you, or do you have, any obsessions or special interests?

My first interest began when I was two and I loved electricity. I used lego to build mini power plants. One day I asked mum for some string and I joined the lego bricks up with the string to make electricity pylons. I loved electricity pylons, the wires and their shapes! Then at three years old I loved dinosaurs and then digimon. Computer games, drawing, astronomy are my obsessions! When I was 4 years old my obsession with Digimon characters began! I learn the descriptions of all the Digimon!! And my family and school had to listen to me reciting these daily!! If I didn?t find someone to listen to me I became angry.

Each week I was rewarded with a digimon action figure, I dressed up as a digimon and I had a digimon birthday party. This lasted 5 years. Now I like astronomy and drawing. I am also really interested in planets, comets etc.

4. Do you have a limited diet?

Yes. My mum had to pack the same lunch for me everyday for seven years in a row! Every day I ate tuna sandwich, tuc biscuits, milk and one twirl bar. When mum put something new in my box my day was ruined because she had made a mistake with my lunch. I didn?t eat on school trips because I did not know when to eat and nobody said ?******* it?s time to eat your lunch?

5. What did people do to help you?

? Anger management

? How to make friends and to handle difficult situations

? Handwriting

? Colour coding books and a colour coded timetable

? Pocket timetables

? Information on what Asperger Syndrome and how to help

? Information on my new school

6. What advice would you give the teachers and assistants who are working with a pupil with AS?

Firstly, the teachers should understand what Asperger Syndrome is. They should all be trained. How can you help someone if you don?t understand the person? Use short simple instructions. Only tell me what to do at that time. I find it difficult to hear and to follow a long list of instructions. I find it difficult to concentrate when the teacher gives long instructions. Keep it calm. I get distracted easily and I can?t remember what to say if someone interrupts me. If someone speaks in an aggressive, loud tone, then I will respond in the exact same way. I don?t like it when a teacher gives the whole class a punishment whenever I did not do something wrong. You need to ask me what I feel comfortable with, how you are talking and working with me. Everyone is different and needs different strategies? so ask!!

7. Do you have any sensory and motor difficulties?

I wear these blue glasses because the light sometimes hurts my eyes. These glasses also help my co- ordination. I now find it easier to copy off the board. Before I had the glasses, the light bounced off the whiteboard and I found it difficult to copy down things.

I used to find it difficult to wear certain clothes. I hated wool and hated wearing my old school jumper. I couldn?t touch the wool?I hated the feel on my skin? it was just so itchy! I could only wear fleecy material and cotton. My favorite day is still when I can wear my cotton pajamas all day! I couldn?t tuck my shirt into my trousers until this year. I found it really difficult to change for PE. I still can?t do my tie and I can?t do my shoe laces. I wear slip on shoes and Velcro shoes for PE. I wasn?t able to ride a bike until P6. I went every week to Cycling Proficiency but I never passed it because I still wobbled on the bike.

When I was young loud noises upset me. Mum says that she couldn?t bring me anywhere with crowds because I got so upset and screamed loudly!

8. Can you tell us any good books or websites that are helpful for someone with AS?

I am reading Haze. It is a good book and it?s about a teenager called Sib. He has Asperger syndrome and is finding it difficult to cope with school and finding it difficult to make friends. There is a good website called do2learn.com which has two games on facial expressions. Someone also gave me two good books on understanding Asperger Syndrome and there is a free magazine called Asperger United which is free to everyone with Asperger Syndrome. It has a pen pal club for teenagers.

9. How do you cope with change?

Not very well! I get worried and upset if I have not been pre- warned about a change. I can?t control the worry. When I was younger we were renovating the house and we moved the back door from the side of the house to the back of the house. I was so upset and I wouldn?t go through the door because it was different! It took me three days to go to school!

Hope you can draw something useful from his insight.

From a young AS boy which might be helpful,

1. How did you interact with others when you were young and how do you interact now?

Not very well. I found it very hard and everything ended up with fighting. I didn?t know how to approach them or how to ask to join in so I ended up messing about and then pushed it too far. So eventually I stopped interacting because it always ended up in a fight and I got into trouble. Now I get on a lot better with people. I had to learn social skills and how to interact. Some people find this easy but I had to learn the rules of getting on with people. Now in school, I am sometimes on my own at break and at lunch. My form teacher has a games club that I go to I can play chess with others here. I also have made a friendship with another boy with Asperger Syndrome. He likes the same things as me. I feel comfortable with him because we understand each other. I think it is a good idea for teachers to have a games club especially for people with Asperger Syndrome who may find it difficult to interact during break and lunch. It is easier to interact with others when we have a purpose, such as playing a game of chess.

2. Did you have any difficulties with communicating with others?

Yes I did understand but found understanding metaphors difficult. Now I have learnt what these mean and I understand a lot better. I have an Asperger Dictionary and it tells you all the real meanings of funny sayings. I use this for homework and when I hear something that I am not sure about.

Sometimes I feel it difficult to tell someone how I feel or to ask for help. It is a good idea to meet with a teacher each week, if possible, and to tell the teacher about your problems and tell them if you need help.

3. Did you, or do you have, any obsessions or special interests?

My first interest began when I was two and I loved electricity. I used lego to build mini power plants. One day I asked mum for some string and I joined the lego bricks up with the string to make electricity pylons. I loved electricity pylons, the wires and their shapes! Then at three years old I loved dinosaurs and then digimon. Computer games, drawing, astronomy are my obsessions! When I was 4 years old my obsession with Digimon characters began! I learn the descriptions of all the Digimon!! And my family and school had to listen to me reciting these daily!! If I didn?t find someone to listen to me I became angry.

Each week I was rewarded with a digimon action figure, I dressed up as a digimon and I had a digimon birthday party. This lasted 5 years. Now I like astronomy and drawing. I am also really interested in planets, comets etc.

4. Do you have a limited diet?

Yes. My mum had to pack the same lunch for me everyday for seven years in a row! Every day I ate tuna sandwich, tuc biscuits, milk and one twirl bar. When mum put something new in my box my day was ruined because she had made a mistake with my lunch. I didn?t eat on school trips because I did not know when to eat and nobody said ?******* it?s time to eat your lunch?

5. What did people do to help you?

? Anger management

? How to make friends and to handle difficult situations

? Handwriting

? Colour coding books and a colour coded timetable

? Pocket timetables

? Information on what Asperger Syndrome and how to help

? Information on my new school

6. What advice would you give the teachers and assistants who are working with a pupil with AS?

Firstly, the teachers should understand what Asperger Syndrome is. They should all be trained. How can you help someone if you don?t understand the person? Use short simple instructions. Only tell me what to do at that time. I find it difficult to hear and to follow a long list of instructions. I find it difficult to concentrate when the teacher gives long instructions. Keep it calm. I get distracted easily and I can?t remember what to say if someone interrupts me. If someone speaks in an aggressive, loud tone, then I will respond in the exact same way. I don?t like it when a teacher gives the whole class a punishment whenever I did not do something wrong. You need to ask me what I feel comfortable with, how you are talking and working with me. Everyone is different and needs different strategies? so ask!!

7. Do you have any sensory and motor difficulties?

I wear these blue glasses because the light sometimes hurts my eyes. These glasses also help my co- ordination. I now find it easier to copy off the board. Before I had the glasses, the light bounced off the whiteboard and I found it difficult to copy down things.

I used to find it difficult to wear certain clothes. I hated wool and hated wearing my old school jumper. I couldn?t touch the wool?I hated the feel on my skin? it was just so itchy! I could only wear fleecy material and cotton. My favorite day is still when I can wear my cotton pajamas all day! I couldn?t tuck my shirt into my trousers until this year. I found it really difficult to change for PE. I still can?t do my tie and I can?t do my shoe laces. I wear slip on shoes and Velcro shoes for PE. I wasn?t able to ride a bike until P6. I went every week to Cycling Proficiency but I never passed it because I still wobbled on the bike.

When I was young loud noises upset me. Mum says that she couldn?t bring me anywhere with crowds because I got so upset and screamed loudly!

8. Can you tell us any good books or websites that are helpful for someone with AS?

I am reading Haze. It is a good book and it?s about a teenager called Sib. He has Asperger syndrome and is finding it difficult to cope with school and finding it difficult to make friends. There is a good website called do2learn.com which has two games on facial expressions. Someone also gave me two good books on understanding Asperger Syndrome and there is a free magazine called Asperger United which is free to everyone with Asperger Syndrome. It has a pen pal club for teenagers.

9. How do you cope with change?

Not very well! I get worried and upset if I have not been pre- warned about a change. I can?t control the worry. When I was younger we were renovating the house and we moved the back door from the side of the house to the back of the house. I was so upset and I wouldn?t go through the door because it was different! It took me three days to go to school!

Hope you can draw something useful from his insight.

This is wonderful, and so much of what he says matches B. Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Bard

He says, 'thanks, you're very welcome'. :)

It's lovely that he has found his own voice and knows how to use it in such a positive way.

He give this talk at a teachers training course.

wishingwell

as well as all the things the others have said I would like to add PREPARATION

The main thing that I would love for my sons school to do is to think about how things affect him differently before they plan any lessons or do anyhting out of the ordinary. Think about school trips and bring the parents on board in helping to prepare for events that re out of the norm.

As Karen T said "stop making them try to be normal" and appreciate, maybe even celebrate their differences in a positive way instead of insisting they fit in.

Hi,

I would like to just add how important it is to give an ASD child plenty of input about excursions from start to finish, my son reacted in all sorts of ways to change, so social stories visuals a lot of preparation, this was something the teachers mentioned to me that truly affected my son 'change of routine'.

Routine Routine Routine was part of our survival skills, so if there was to be any change, social stories etc.

F xx :D

I'd perhaps explain why teaching skills can be neccesary with a student on the spectrum. Often they're not so good at copying others hence need to be taught skills. That would probably also benefit all the other students in the school. That said Secondary Schools seem to hate the idea of teaching skills. Would love to know how they think students will learn them otherwise. Certain skills like how to revise, how to research, etc... really should be taught.

The bit that also stayed with me from my TEACCH training is that often when an ASD student is upset they find it harder to process things. Hence it is often better instead of trying to comfort them like we do each other (by talking loads) to use as few words as possible. In fact they even suggested at times you are better grabbing a bit of paper and drawing them a simple diagram. Often they can take in a visual prompt whilst not been able to process a verbal one. I expect in a mainstream you are still fine using oral communication but remembering to talk slowly and use as few words as possible would probably be benefitial.

The other thing that I think is important (and again probably not just for children on the spectrum) is to try and use their interests whilst teaching. If you are talking about something they are interested in (even as way of an example) they are more likely to remain focused on the lesson. A nice variety of tasks also can help though some sort of structure then perhaps is needed. Again what was suggested on the TEACCH course was writing out what is going to happen during the lesson on a post-it note and giving it to the student. That way they don't really stand out but still have the schedule that adds structure to the lesson. Not seen this done in a mainstream but I could see it helping. Particularly with some students. They also mentioned the idea of reminder cards for how to behave. I.E. don't shout out in lessons, if you have a question put your hand up, etc...

How are you planning on doing this presentation. If it is a powerpoint display it would be quite interesting to see it. Also remember that a presentation to adults like with children is more effective if it takes in as many sensory inputs as possible. So often I've switched off in school training sessions because they are boring and far too much talking. If you can think of a way to get the rest of the staff to participate it will make it far more memorable and more likely to make a lasting impact in how they work. Was just a bit worried when you mentioned talking about theory. Certainly what has stuck with me from my TEACCH course is the hands on activities. Even if you got the staff to role play it would probably be more effective. (Sorry not meaning to lecture but do think that a lot of this training could be done in a more interesting way at my school.)

I think, for me the most important thing that I would like dealt with would be choice. After C's diagnosis the staff at his school started giving him more choice, such as whether to sing in the choir, whether to participate in PE, whether to join in with circle time, etc. This has been great - HOWEVER -he is not equipped to make these choices, like many AS kids choice confuses him, then pressure is put on to hurry up and make his decision, and he gets stressed and upset. Choices are great, but he needs to be prepared before he can make a decision, or perhaps actually see what it is he is deciding about, for example - letting him see what the PE lesson entails, let him watch the start of it before he decides if he thinks he is able to participate.

I think what I'm trying to say is choice is good, but many ASD children will require support of some kind in order to make a decision. It's just a little thing, but a very important one to C.

The bit that also stayed with me from my TEACCH training is that often when an ASD student is upset they find it harder to process things. Hence it is often better instead of trying to comfort them like we do each other (by talking loads) to use as few words as possible. In fact they even suggested at times you are better grabbing a bit of paper and drawing them a simple diagram. Often they can take in a visual prompt whilst not been able to process a verbal one.

David do you have any literature/research regarding this? It would be so useful to me to help me in helping my supervisor to understand and interact appropriately with me. What you have described exactly matches me in many stressful situations. I can be having a wonderfully productive meeting with my supervisor and then something can begin to upset me. When this happens, trying to talk to me is the worst thing to do - it just serves to make me more upset which in turn perpetuates the difficulty in talking to me. If it is important that I know something at that time then a visual clue would be best. Aside from this the best thing to do it actually to let me retreat (and time-saving for both parties because you are not going to get anything out of me when I am like that) so somewhere where I can be alone and quiet and process what has been said in my own time. But on top of that, what I also need is a way of re-establishing the contact once I have been able to process what had been said, and this seems to be a missing link I have at the moment.

What I'd really like to be able to say to my supervisor is that if I'm getting stressed (and I have very visible stress reactions) don't try and continue the conversation or even switch to another conversation (because I will be processing the one that upset me, getting more upset about it and not listening to what you are saying now). Let me have some time alone, however long I need to calm down and process things. But then also make sure that a way is available for me to re-connect with what was being said without being made to feel that I have done anything wrong for needing this time-out. If I don't re-connect then follow-up with me because often I may want to reconnect but not know how to.

I find that when j is upset, he shuts down and can not talk and i have found that drawing helps him to communicate. I just give him a piece of paper, a pencil and ask him to draw/write me an "email". He will then draw some symbols or pictures and if I don't get it straight away, I just point to the picture and he will give me a one-word description. This calms him down usually and he can then go through the pictures with me in a bit more detail so I can understand the cause of his distress.

Mumble we were told more as an aside and don't have any research data given to us on this issue. What I will do is PM you the email address (or one I have just found) for the person who lead our course. He was very much one for helping anyone with autism in any situation if he could. Hence I expect if you email him he will happily either direct you to the relevent research or possible provide you with some sort of official documentation to explain this issue.

How are you planning on doing this presentation. If it is a powerpoint display it would be quite interesting to see it. Also remember that a presentation to adults like with children is more effective if it takes in as many sensory inputs as possible. So often I've switched off in school training sessions because they are boring and far too much talking. If you can think of a way to get the rest of the staff to participate it will make it far more memorable and more likely to make a lasting impact in how they work. Was just a bit worried when you mentioned talking about theory. Certainly what has stuck with me from my TEACCH course is the hands on activities. Even if you got the staff to role play it would probably be more effective. (Sorry not meaning to lecture but do think that a lot of this training could be done in a more interesting way at my school.)

it will be powerpoint, I have loads of ideas for getting the staff interacting more but with only an hour and so much to cover I really dont think I'll have time

when I say theory I mean mainly going through the triad to try to explain why children have difficulty in certain areas and the best way to get around the problem, that way the staff can start to find their own solutions rather than just call on me to solve it because in 2 weeks time I wont be there to do that

Hi summertime/all -

Blimey - this thread must win the 'most long posts in a thread' competition hands down (well, excluding the batcave xmas specials!) aint we a clever lot!

Nothing to add except very best with it, and I loved the bit in the opening post about 'The Fat Dinner Lady' :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :)

Thanks B.M.W.

Going to borrow this for my son's TA for September.

The bit that also stayed with me from my TEACCH training is that often when an ASD student is upset they find it harder to process things. Hence it is often better instead of trying to comfort them like we do each other (by talking loads) to use as few words as possible. In fact they even suggested at times you are better grabbing a bit of paper and drawing them a simple diagram. Often they can take in a visual prompt whilst not been able to process a verbal one. I expect in a mainstream you are still fine using oral communication but remembering to talk slowly and use as few words as possible would probably be benefitial.

Great ideas!

Possible problems with facial recognition - this has all sorts of implications teachers need to be aware of : not being able to identify someone who's bullied you, for example and failing to recognise members of your own class. L's teachers sensing that she was socially isolated, used to make her hand out exercise books so she could learn names, and she would get into a stew because she couldn't match names to faces. This made her a target for further ridicule.

Good luck with the presentation!

K x

1.To understand what a meltdown is,how it is brought on and how to take steps to avoid one.

2.That behaviour may be a sign of communication and that you have to know the child very well and hear why they do things from their point of view and their carers to be able to understand the behaviour and how to approach it.

In my son's case what was understood by the teaching staff as a reason for the behaviour was far away from the real reasons behind the behaviour.

The behaviour got him excluded on many occassions.

Mand

Have you done the training yet? How did it go?

Karen

x

did the training on wednesday and thursday, it went really well thanks to all your suggestions, all the staff said it was really useful :D

I am late to the thread - but enjoyed reading it all the same - and found it very useful. What I would add in the sensory overload area is sense of smell....my son (ASD 14) was taking German at school and eventually had to drop it because the smell of the room drove him insane. He has an exceptionally acute sense of smell, so much so that we can no longer eat fish in the house, or anything that is particularly smelly!

I had tried to explain his problems with the smell of the room to the school, but they weren't having it! I begged to let him continue taking the class, that I could link up with the teacher myself and work something out - still no go. (I hold a degree in German and have worked as an interpreter.) Talk about the school being completely inflexible..... :wallbash:

I do not think teachers understand how terribly overwhelming smells can be for my son - he can honestly smell things we cannot. If a teacher is wearing perfume or aftershave, my son will be in agony during the entire class.... Is there anyone else on the forum who suffers from this? If so, summertime, it might be worth mentioning in your next presentation. Hope the last one went well for you!

ddh

I always wear vanilla perfume from Body Shop, as it's the only one B can currently stand. He used to be OK with jasmine, but then not. He likes flower scents, but not chemical flowery ones. Air Fresheners trigger coughing and choking, plug-in ones ditto + meltdown.

On Saturday, Mumble told me that the roses, whose colour I wasn't impressed by, had a lovely scent. I stuck my nose in one, and she was right. She was about 3 metres away.