Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

A little update on the new school

Hello, all you lovely peeps.

I haven?t been around much lately for one reason or another so apologies for not being up to date on what?s going on with everyone.

Just wanted to let you know some good news about J, who started his new school last week.

As some of you know, J had an awful time in his previous school because staff didn?t understand AS nor did they particularly want to, there was some bullying going on which wasn?t being addressed, very poor communication from teachers so I didn?t know what was happening during J?s school day ? there was a generally negative attitude and we felt we had no alternative but to take him to a different school.

I know it?s only two weeks in but the change in him has been remarkable. This is a much smaller school (110 pupils as opposed to 400 in the old one), set on the outskirts of Gateshead in the countryside and surrounded by fields. There?s even a little conservation area at the end of the school field where the children are encouraged to build dens. J?s in seventh heaven. He?s playing well, making friends, doing well in lessons, actually chatting about his day on the way home from school which is totally unheard of. He even sat down on Friday and did his homework without me standing over him and giving constant prompts.

The best of this is that none of it is forced. J is naturally relaxed there and we?ve had no outbursts after school ? minor niggles over toys and games not working properly but nothing that says ?stress?. He?s a very happy boy and I know I?ve made the right decision in moving him. It?s a long haul to physically get him there (20 minute drive) but blimey it?s worth it!

Staff are lovely and keeping me well informed too. Whereas in the old school they didn?t bother to let me know when J had been involved in major incidents, like when he?d lashed out at other children and really hurt them, yesterday J?s new teacher told me he?d ?had to have a word? because J was fiddling with his glasses and causing a bit of a distraction. They just seem to understand that I need to know these seemingly trivial things, just to watch out for any reactions later. It?s like a different world.

Just wanted to share that. I got a lot of support here when J was going through the horrible times last term, thought I should let you know it?s all turned out for the best.

Karen

x