support groups  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you access support?

• Only online
    • I go to a support group
    • I help to run a support group
    • I started my own group
    • There are no support groups in my area

Just out interest I wondered how many of us on here access support from groups and how many had to start their own. I'd be interested to know how many of those groups are parent led too

Mand

I accessed support from a carers group but there are two groups i know of in Glasgow but times are not suitable for our family. i also use an individual support for parents when attending school meetings that has been very helpful.

Nicola

There is a support group in Edinburgh, however I can't go as hubby works in the evenings. I also can't go to school things as I am currently working full time. However, this will change once hubby is a qualified driving instructor :notworthy::notworthy:

I go v infrequently to my local support group. I've known the peeps there for years, but tbh its not really meeting my needs these days - its more geared up to children rather than young adults, & classical autism rather than Aspergers.

There used to be a superb Asperger support group a few years back, but it folded due to lack of peeps to run it (and yes I did volunteer to help)

This place has been an absolute lifeline.

For me, this forum has been a godsend. Like Pearl, trying to find support for older children/adults is very hard to come by, but here the support covers all ages. There's also always 24/7 access which for obvious reasons isn't available from other places.

I had one support group I could attend when we lived up north that was run monthly, however here there are quite a few. There's one run in the local ASD school monthly, the children with disabilities team run one monthly, the local NAS has a coffee morning twice a week, and Logans school has a coffee afternoon once a fortnight. Fairly lucky that there's so much available.

Lynne x

I set up a whole new support group (I was originally with the new local NAS Branch, but there's a mad woman in charge of it!) so I am now officially running a voluntary group that is proving to be very popular! I am amazed at the amount of people I have met in quite a small area. We might only be small at the moment, but we're growing and I am getting much better at asking for things for free! :clap:

I love coming here too, but rarely ever get the chance to post :rolleyes:

Nikki.

I am getting much better at asking for things for free! :clap:

Nikki.

She's like a woman possessed when there's a freebie around... :shame::devil: Of course, i'm angelic, calm and collected and always wait patiently........never, ever bat my eyelids or throw a strop............ :ph34r::whistle:

Just recently we've had two groups appear locally - which is excellent for peeps who don't want to, or can't travel. :thumbs:

This place has been 'home' for a good few years now too :D .

My local support group is quite good for older teenagers and adults. However, it has been running for nearly 10 years so many of the kids that started at the outset are now past 16.

If anybody knows of any groups not on the list then PM me the details.

am going to a NAS day centre [anglo house],providing can get the funding in the council funding meeting next week.

was told it costs over hundred pound per day per person-social worker said that is a lot of money,and the people who do the funding might not want to give it as am in twenty four hour care,but another lady who lives in the home goes to a non autie day centre,and she gets funding off the ss for that,so it should go okay.

she applied for am for two days a week,and she says am have a strong case for being allowed due to circumstances at the home,and being turned away from college.

am know of another support place in manchester-aspirations in stretford,which is also the base for greater manchesters' autism association,but it's only for high functioning kanners types and aspergans,and also up to the age of twenty five,don't think need funding for a place there though,unless it's changed as people have to be very high functioning and have no support needs.

am also know of another club in sale west,in sale wests' youth club,found out about it through a friend/support lady who took am to and from college,as she works there also but it's only for children.

they won't do an adult club as there isn't enough funding,they already run the phab group there [which has adults with mostly learning disabilities in,auties and aspergans with sensory problems wouldn't be able to cope with it].

With older kids, teenagers and adults, I am totally out of my depth! My boys are littlies still and living with a 38yr old with Asperger's doesn't make me knowledgable (....just completely bonkers usually!)

I know the other local group were looking into groups for adults, but found that they didn't want to meet or go out anywhere with more Aspies! Not the easiest of things to organise, yet people want something.

Nikki.

There are support groups local to me but they only run in the day time and during term time only. I am a teacher so I cant get to any of them. There doesn't seem to be anything for us working mums and we could do with support too! Although I dont post very often, coming on here and reading other people's posts makes me feel more normal - almost!

I set up a whole new support group (I was originally with the new local NAS Branch, but there's a mad woman in charge of it!) so I am now officially running a voluntary group that is proving to be very popular! I am amazed at the amount of people I have met in quite a small area. We might only be small at the moment, but we're growing and I am getting much better at asking for things for free! :clap:

I love coming here too, but rarely ever get the chance to post :rolleyes:

Nikki.

I am thinking of setting up a Aspergers support group for parents. Can you give me any tips on how do this. Do I need to register with anyone ?

Hi rmt,

I am no expert on it all, just a parent who was fed up with the lack of support around here!

I'll go and PM you.

Nikki.

I love my support group. It's run by Barnardo's, once a month on a Wednesday morning, we meet up and talk about what's happening with our kids and share information about 'the system' locally. I've been going for two years and haven't missed a meeting yet. Some of my closest support has come from that group, and two of the parents have children at the school J's just moved to so I got lots of practical, real-life information about that before making the decision.

Real life support is important because (personally) I need to be able to speak to someone who knows how things work in my area and will therefore understand, but I think I get more general, practical information and advice from this site than the group, tbh.

Karen.

Just out interest I wondered how many of us on here access support from groups and how many had to start their own. I'd be interested to know how many of those groups are parent led too

Mand

Hi our support group has been the Friends of Earlybird,its a group of parents that have attended the course and would like to stay in contact, the group meets every couple of months for things like talking about how to access things like benefits and meetings with educational people on how best to get the right support for the children in school etc.

I am thinking of setting up a Aspergers support group for parents. Can you give me any tips on how do this. Do I need to register with anyone ?

It takes quite a lot of time and effort organising an effective support group and a suitable venue for meetings must be found. There is no central register of AS support groups and I'm not aware you need to register anything with anyone apart from things like bank accounts or websites.

Our support group is for the whole family. We meet up every Saturday 5-8pm and there is plenty for children to do. Though children do need to be supervised at all times, most of them sit down with their nintendos or psps. There is also football etc. outside for the older ones, teenagers and adults. The parents manage to get together for a chat - most of us have eyes in the back of our heads!!

But for real advise, this online forum is the best as you can find information and advice almost instantly!

Hi I know I must be in the minority here but my area must be pretty good for groups as i attend 4 different ones. One is on fortnightly for the whole family with lots to do, differents/ computers etc which is really good. we have been going to that one for almost 1 1/2 yrs now. then there is one for parents/cares which is on during school time every week, they also run stuff during the holidays for the kids, then the other 2 are just once a month one during the day and the other one on an evening.

I'm with Liz on this one, being from the same area. The support groups around us are fab. Same for this forum.... I know I can always come here for some sound advice :)