643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hi mirgaika, welcome to the forum :)

Nice to meet you. Fire and rescue? I worked in the Fire Brigade Control room for 10 years, many years ago. I loved it.

I'm married, my husband was recently diagnosed with AS, my son is 26 tomorrow and diagnosed with ASD, I have another son aged 23.

I hope you you manage to post again, it's great to hear the views of people on the autistic spectrum, who better to teach us? I learn a lot from my husband but everyone is different so it's great to hear different viewpoints.

Hope to 'chat' again.

Nellie.

Hi Spike,

You can learn so much from the others on this forum. Not only do people provide you with some brilliant information but they provide you with support and help you through the hard times.

I'm sure both you and Melissa will get a lot from it.

Take care

Vicki

Hej mirgaika!

Hoppas att det g?r bra f�r dig!

I'm a British ASD parent living in Sweden so I am sympathetic that everything takes so much time - we started the "formal" diagnosis process fo our child in 2002 - yet we still don't have a final diagnosis yet! They seem to want to everything very slow and sure; so far we have had about 20 hospital appointments - most of these have lasted about 2 hours for different tests and interviews; some for our child and some just for us. I don't know what the process is for adult AS diagnosis but we have met with; Consultant paediatrician, psychologist, special needs pedagog, physiotherapist, occupational therapist and social worker.

I know the waiting is hard. As you are a student it might be worth approaching your college or University to see if they offer you any support and help while you are waiting for diagnosis to see if you qualify for LSS status (registered disabled status in Sweden). If you landsting (health authority) has a long waiting list you could find out what rights you have to be assessed in a neighbouring area - or indeed if there is a REALLY long waiting list you may have the right to see a health authority approved private psychiatrist/psychologist and just pay the normal patient fee that you would at the health authority clinic.

You may also be able to get some help or advice from the Swedish Autistic society

http://www.autism.se/

Good luck and keep in touch

Welcome to the forum,.....to everyone who has recently joined! :)

This forum is for anyone touched in any way by Aspergers and ASD. The large majority of the members happen to be parents to children with an ASD and so this largely drives the topics. There are many members here who are also ASD themselves though and you may find the links in the resources section (to some sites specifically for people who have an ASD) helpful, too.

Looking forward to 'chatting' with you here and your insight would be invaluable.

Kind regards,

Elefan

Hi everyone,

thanks for the warm welcome!

Puffin, that is so cool to find someone else "from" sweden. What part of sweden are you in? I too only "live" here. My dad's american, why I'm here and not there is a looooonngggg story.

I have a great supporter in my school, I currently go to adult education as I totally flunked in high school. They just couldnt figure the crazy-acting-out-smart-yet-stupid girl out.

Last semester I did much better, I got all MVG (american A) and VG (american B ).

I think you(AS parents) guy's kids are lucky, there's a diagnosis out there, and they got you fighting for them. From someone who didnt have that, I believe it makes more difference then you can even imagine.

Mir

Edited by mirgaika

Hi there my name is 'C', based in Scotland. My user name is MMate because I am here not as a parent of an AS but as someone who is desperate to help 'M' a friend of mine's son...so I'm 'M's Mate.

I also have a nephew who is AS and through contact with these amazing kids I've been touched .....not only by the children themselves but by their parents and the desperate situation they often find themselves in.

'M's Mum has 4 children, 'M' #2 child, aged 9 and the only boy. I'm here in lieu of his Mum because she doesn't have a computer and although she can use the one's in the library she isn't net savvy making it pretty hard work for her...and because she barely has the time to turn round never mind scour the internet for help. :wacko:

You will read my plea for help for her and her son in the education section and hope that you can help us through what seems to be a desperate situation.

Looking forward to meeting and speaking with lots of you soon.

'C'

P.S. I am the lucky owner of one gorgeous kid 'J' who so far appears to be sailing through life without any of these problems...it was 'J' who introduced 'M' to our family.

Edited by Elefan

MMate

Welcome to the forum. :)

What a lovely posting! It warmed the cockles of my heart and restored my faith in human nature, thanks. :clap:

I am originally from Scotland, born in Paisley, my husband is diagnosed with AS and my eldest son, 26, with ASD.

There is a lot of information in resources, any questions, just ask. You can also learn a lot by reading through the postings.

Your friend is very lucky to have your support. I often wonder how parents with ASD children cope without internet access.

Nellie.

Cheers Nellie,

I have written a novel (well 2 actually, you'll have to read the post).

I am really looking forward to being part of the board and hoping too that 'M's Mum will eventually be able to come here too.

C

hi everybody,

just a quick e mail to introduce myself i'm mum to 3 boys ranging from 15 to 9 our eldest has dyslexia +dyspraxia our 13 year old was dx with AS last year along with dyspraxia and our youngest has just got a dx of dyslexia .Although life can be tough for me and my husband and the battles long especially with education but i won't stand on my soap box just yet! life can have its rewards too especially with the progress my boys have made themselves they are the stars 200% effort -tying laces ,reading ,riding a bike the list is endless .

at the mo i'm into my 3rd year of a uni degree after working in special education for years ,career change hopefully -social science +law) home educating one of my boys who couldn't cope with mainstream ed .

family life is often hetic especialy with our 2 dogs and cat who can't decided if they like each other yet!

a friend recommended this site recently i wish i'd had known of it before its a mine of info +in the uk too!

cheers for now taz64

Hi Taz, Spike, MMate, Mirgaika and all other newbies.

Sure you'll find miles of useful stuff on this site, and a fair amount of stuff that's absolutely useless too. I'll apologise personally for the latter, 'cos it's odds on...

Love 'n' peace

Baddad

PS: TAZ - riding a bike, reading a book and tying laces? Show Off! Serously, a great trick if you can do it... I'm c**p at multi-tasking! :D

Edited by baddad

:devil:Let me introduce myself i am the mother of three boys and i am new to this site it was sugguested by a work mate that i looked it up. My middle boy is 9yrs and has as and adhd and when he is around at times the house can turn into a battle feild . He annoys his younger brother (2) who likes to play on his own, and runs numerous times around the table making silly noises which he says is a dinosaur. When i tell him to stop he doesn't listen instead he goes to his older brother and annoys him. My son just seems to drive me crazy at times there is so many things that he does that causes riots. He don't tidy his room the only thing he tidys his his collection of starwars gadgets . He has no respect of other peoples property and has no sence of the value of things . Oh i could go on and on ...... i feel a little better just getting off my chest but no doubt i will have to brace myself this evening for another arguement or screaming match! wish me luck![/sIZE] Edited by Jenniferanded

Welcome to the forum, Jennifer!

I can sympathise with you...my son has AS and ADHD too.

There is loads of good advice and information here, and we have even been known to have a laugh, too!

Bid :wacko:

HI i am new to this board also i am trying to see if my son had aspergers. I have always thought he has add but i can see aspergers symtoms in him aswell. It has been a battle 8 years of his life people just dont understand unless you go through it yourself with your own kids. I have a daughter who is 4 and she doesnt have any problems which is good but she has a hard time being around my son and i hope i can get him diagnosed and get him and us some help.

I know how you feel about all the upset in the household as my son makes so much noise and wants life to revolve around him. He cant settle to play on his own, he wants his sister to play with him then upsets her. We have lots of running about and noises of shooting all the time. He never seems to be able to stop when i tell him he always goes on and on.

Hope things start to get better for you soon. Pm me if you want a chat sometime.

Hi Jennifer, welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad your rant made you feel better - it's a great place to have a good moan...and a laugh sometimes !! :P

There are lots of parents on here who will understand just how you feel.

Nellie.

Hello

I have just found this site for the first time, we have just found out that our son Mathew may have aspergers. we have been educating him at home for the last eighteen months, he was being bullied at school so badly we had to take him out. The school were of no help at all. For years Debbie my wife has thought Mathew may have aspergers but got no help from the education system. Its only since he has got a place at the local college have we had any help. He is enjoying being at college and hopefully he can get the support he needs to cope and develop into a young man. We are trying to find resouces that can help us to help him. Its a learning process for us all as a family.

I can't offer much advice, as my household is much the same (three boys, two with AS) but..

T used to be vey untidy, but he is now quite tidy. Doesn't always put things in logical places, but his room is fairly tidy now (however he is now 14!).

R is only 11, and hasn't got a clue how to tidy up - he needs to be told - pick up the books.....right, now pick up the games..... right, now put the rubbish in the bin, etc.

Karen

Hi Keyworker, my name is Penny and I too have a son with Aspergers, he goes to a special school and is doing great (unlike when he was in mainstream) hope to catch up with you soon, Penny

hi everyone

my name is sharon and i live in milngavie near glasgow with my 2 sons peter 16 and andrew 8. Andrew has recently been diagnosed with aspergers after a 4 year uphill struggle. Things are a bit better now i know what i am dealing with and have just been on the National Autistic Societys H.E.L.P. programme for parents and carers a brilliant programme which gives loads of information on asd. still :wallbash: over andrews education !!!!!nightmare!!!!!! hopefully this will get sorted eventually maybe looks like a great site glad i found it bye shaz

Welcome shaz35!!

You might want to see Tess's thread on locals to her! She is in Lenzie!! :)

Hope you find the forum helpful and a source of support, knowledge and fun!!

Kindest regards,

Elefan

xx

Hi Shaz35,

Welcome to the forum :) I'm from Paisley but have lived in the South of England for 19 years.

I agree, the Help! programme is great.

Looking forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie.

Hi, I'm Yorkie and have 2 kids, 5 year old with Aspergers. 3 year old typical monster! I am battling with EVERYBODY at moment to try and get my son the help he needs at school. Have decided to apply for a statement in the hope that this may help. Am also looking into attending BIBIC (british Institute for Brain Injured Children) and wondered if anyone has attended? Sounds fab in the info they sent, but has anyone any personal experience of this? Live in Leeds and have noticed that it seems to depend on what area of the country you live in as to how much you have to battle for the help! Got meeting with Headteacher and SENCO tommorow to dicuss my lad, as they dont think 'he's that bad' Load of S**t. :angry: He eats anything thats on the floor, keeps going to bite other kids and has very little concentration. Thats only the short version. I'm wondering exactly what he goes to school for? If hes not disruptive 6 hours a day, hes not a problem apparently..... Enough moaning, see how I get on tomorrow. Glad to have found this site!!!! :D

Edited by Yorkie

Hi

Just posted earlier in the Education section, but thought I should introduce myself.

I've been checking out your board for the past 3 months since my 8 year old son was diagnosed with mild AS. I've found it immensely informative with lots of info not contained in any of the many books I've read.

A bit of background:

We live in Ireland. I have 2 children - a 2 year old DD and an 8 year old DS who just diagnosed with AS in June. We've been quite lucky with the speed of our dx as D was only referred to School Psych in November/ December 2003. He was referred to the Ed Psychologist last year when his teacher noticed his high score in the standardised English tests our primary school kids complete each year. He scored in the 98th Percentile. My son is in 3rd class, hates school and generally doesn't 'put himself out' doing his work, so was judged to be middle of the class. Both ourselves and the teacher were surprised with the AS diagnosis - she had just hoped to get him resource hours to provide him with more challenging work!

The more I've read the more I'm sure he has AS (up to now I just thought he was a little odd!). I've always known that he's intelligent but had a hard time getting his teachers (except one) to accept this, given his level of output in the classroom.

We've been lucky enough to have been given 5 hours of resources each week and tomorrow I have a meeting with his Class Teacher and the Resource Teacher to discuss what should be done. While we do want to have some social skills and anger management training for him, we're hoping to place more emphasis on stretching him academically in order to place him in a good frame of mind while at school, rather than sitting bored all the time.

D also has a diagnosis of Dyspraxia.

I look forward to 'meeting you all'.

A

hi there my name is debbie im from walsall in the westmidlands i have two children with autism a boy aged 13 with semantic pragmatic disorder and autism and a girl aged 11 with autism and learning difficulties just thought id pop bye and say hello :)

Hi Debbie :)

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it supportive and informative.

They are a good bunch on here, hope to 'speak' to you soon.

Nellie. x

Hi everyone. Im new to this site and think its just brilliant :thumbs::thumbs:

Im Lucy and I have a gorgeous 4 year old son called Isaac who was diagnosed with ASD just over 2 years ago.

Isaac just started (mainstream) school in September and is doing really well. He has a fulltime SSA who is fantastic with him and has been with him all through nursery. (we are really lucky). I am a teacher and work with special needs kids in mainstream and often feel kind of out on a limb because I can see things from the parents perspective so much more than some of the other teachers (not trying to brag or anything ,you just see things so differently when you have your own personal experience of what its like to have a child with special needs) I am constantly battling to get kids extra help but not getting very far. I ts incredibly frustrating. (Im waffling on now arent I ;) theres a bit of aspie in me)

Anyway to get back to the introduction I am married to Mike (another teacher Im afraid) and have 2 other kids, Jacob (10 on Sunday) and Eleanor (6 going on 46).

They are Isaacs biggest advocates and best playmates. Isaac has been on a gf/cf diet for nearly 2 years now and it seems to help him . Anyway I just thought Id say hello.

love and hugs, lucy xx

hi isaacs mum nice to meet you, i am lynn and my son is 18 diagnosed with asd onlt this year. I agree with you about the site its one of the best sites that i have joined a very friendly and informative bunch they have been a godsend to me just recently always someone to help out in a crisis :clap::clap::clap:

Hi Lucy, good to have another teacher on board :notworthy: , but don't look too closely at the spelling, it's kind of accepted that a lot of us can't :rolleyes:

Hope we can all help each other out in some way, its always a good place to be for comfort, support or just to have fun.

Wez :wine:

Hi Lynn and Wez

Talkabout speedy response! Its great to know there are people out there "listening" to my mad rants. :dance:

Lynn you say your son was only recently diagnosed. I hope you dont think im being nosey but im interested in how he ( and you) managed all that time without a dx. How did he cope in school? Did anyone ever suspect there might be a problem and did you have to fight to get a diagnosis? Has it helped having a dx? Sorry for all these questions its just that in my job im constantly coming up against professionals (so called) who seem unwilling to give diagnoses when children are only "mildly affected" and id be really interested to hear your story..

Wez, I dont think my spelling is too bad but Im hopeless at maths. My 4 year old can outdo me any day ( numbers are isaacs favourite topic ) (he loves it even more when you combine letters and no.s eg. Mum whats 13, 15,14,11, 5,25? Ill give you a clue, it eats bananas) Normal everyday kind of conversation in our house :blink:

lucy xx

Welcome to the forum Lucy :)

I have a son, 26, diagnosed with ASD at 19, hubbie 53 today :party:, diagnosed AS last year, younger son 23, possible AS.

Please ignore all threats of death to educational professionals. We are only joking!! :whistle:

Seriously though it's great to have someone on board who can see things from both sides.

Look forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie.

Welcome to the forum Lucy :)

I have a son, 26, diagnosed with ASD at 19, hubbie 53 today :party:, diagnosed AS last year, younger son 23, possible AS.

Please ignore all threats of death to educational professionals. We are only joking!! :whistle:

Seriously though it's great to have someone on board who can see things from both sides.

Look forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie.

Happy birthday to 'hubby' for today :):dance::party:

Go easy on the wine :lol:

Kris

Welcome to the forum everyone!! B)

Hope you find much support, advice and information from the brilliant people who frequent this board! :notworthy:

Elefan

xx

PS Nellie,...a big happy Birthday to 'other half'. :jester: It's my girls' birthday on Sunday and mine on Wednesday! A popular month!!

It's my girls' birthday on Sunday and mine on Wednesday! A popular month!!

Ummm, and how old are you again? heh heh heh :devil:

I'm in sooooo much trouble now!!!! :ph34r:

Krisxx