Kathryn

Important college meeting tomorrow

Got a crucial meeting coming up tomorrow.

L hasn't been happy at college for some time: she is still languishing on the supported programme doing basic level skills. This environment served its purpose when she was just easing back into education after the school traumas, but this is her third year and all she has to show for it is Adult literacy level 2.

She is frustrated and depressed as she's realised all her peers have their A levels and are now in their first year at Uni or on their gap year. The good thing is that she has realised she's capable of achieving the same, but she's miserable as she can't see the way forward.

The college have been very little help in guiding her to the next stage, telling her what her options are and helping her make choices and get on to the right course. In fact they are holding her back now, and she knows it. She really wants out. She is bored and doing totally inappropriate stuff at times - e.g. she is attentding an entry level literacy class when she's easily capable of A level English, and would like to do it.

So the meeting tomorrow, which we have called for, is to try and make them change things for her. She has no interest in going to university (at the moment anyway) but would really like to get GCSE's and A levels. She needs six GCSE's to do any A level subjects, according to the college prospectus, but she's capable of studying at this level now. :(

So I find myself in the role of careers counsellor - and I'm totally clueless. :unsure: She still doesn't have a firm idea of what she wants to do later on, but she has narrowed the subjects down to English, IT biology art and sociology (and maths which she is working on already). I don't even know if the college offer all these at GCSE. But she's got to work towards something with a qualification, or she will get very depressed. I don't even know if GCSE's are the right way to go. But she's got to start somewhere.

I've attended so many pointless review meetings - I don't want this to be just one more. So we are going to have to get very assertive and force some action here - and we have one hour to do it in. So positive thoughts would be appreciated.

L is feeling very confident and motivated at the moment, and is doing really well socially, but she needs help to build on that. She just wants to be at the same level as her peers. yesterday she said to me, "I really regret dropping out of school - I wish I hadn't let them do that to me". :tearful:

Thanks for reading this far! Any thoughts and views appreciated.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

She should be accepted onto A Level courses without GCSEs. They will give minimum requirements of GCSEs as this is the path that most students will have taken, but they should be able to make a judgement, especially as they can already judge her progress as she is already a student at the college.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I will be thinking of you and hope you are able to gain some support so that you can find an option that will feel more positive for L.It does not sound very supportive of learners to place such strict criteria on needing 6 GCSEs to do A levels.Karen.

Sending lots of positive vibes, Kathryn.

One other route to explore could be BTec. JP did one in IT (3 A level equivalent) & it suited him much better - continuous assessment, no exams & the opportunity for rework to up the grading of each module.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to clarify this with the college tomorrow.

When she expressed an interest in A level English the tutors made encouraging noises, then gave evasive answers when she asked if they could help her get on to a course. She has not had a proper discussion with anyone, which has left her really confused about her options.

For some subjects, doing the GCSE might be useful as she has not studied seriously for so long, or taken any exams. But I see no reason why she shouldn't start an A level course of study in those subjects she feels really confident in - like English and IT for example. She feels she desperately needs the intellectual stimulation.

K x

Sending lots of positive vibes, Kathryn.

One other route to explore could be BTec. JP did one in IT (3 A level equivalent) & it suited him much better - continuous assessment, no exams & the opportunity for rework to up the grading of each module.

Thanks Pearl that's really helpful.

What level Btec is equivalent to A level, do you know? I've tried to look it up on the college website and there are lots of different levels. I'm confused myself, by all these different options!

K x

Hi kathryn -

not really got a great deal of advice, 'cos not a bridge I've ever needed to cross, but I think the thing to emphasise it's not the start of the race, or even the middle leg that counts but how you finish...

If she can find two or three worthwhile qualifications to pursue she'll be building solid foundations for the next phase. Taking a whole raft of stuff on because the courses are available may give her the short term challenge she needs, but actually muddy the waters about her long term goals and aspirations...

I HOPE that's good advice, but even if it aint at least it's another perspective! :lol:

Will cross everything tomorrow . Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnn

L&P

BD :D

Thanks mumble rocks - that's just the kind of information we need about different levels and qualifications, and in plain simple language I can understand. :notworthy:

I wish I'd asked for help from you lot before!

K x

Good Luck tomorrow Kathryn,

the only thing i can think to add is to ask the workers to clarify their roles, in order to pinpoint who should know what the progression for your daughter could be within the college.

nic

Kathryn

I really hope your meeting for L goes well tomorrow. She must feel enormously frustrated at being held back when she's raring to go!

Have you looked at OU as, I think, they do Access Courses to enable people to go on to higher education and degree level bypassing the A level route. They have a good range of short courses to try out as well. Just an idea.

Hope it all works out tomorrow and she manages to get a mix she's happy with.

Barefoot

Edited by barefoot wend

Hi all,

Thanks for your support. The meeting went really well and I didn't have to put my boxing gloves on after all. :lol: In fact I didn't have to say a lot - L was great. :wub:

The careers guidance person was very focused and able to grasp what L isn't happy with and what she wants to do. They have met once already, so she had some idea already of L's abilities and goals.

L likes the look of the BTEC in IT: she will probably do that or a City and Guilds IT course at an equivalent level, and possibly English A level if they will let her. She will also continue with her numeracy so that she gets the basic maths qualification. She isn't interested in an Access course. The BTec , if she goes through all the levels, will allow her to go doewn the university route, if she wants to later on.

The careers person is going to check out what is possible and also see how L can fill the time between now and September with something she finds more stimulating, possiibly by starting parts of the IT, and doing some art and/or a language.

L feels much happier and feels that she is finally getting somewhere. This meeting should have happened a year ago - I am so irritated with her tutor who could have done so much more to help her. We achieved more in one hour today than we ever have in two years! L was so scared of going back into the mainstream when she started at the college - and she really needed the sheltered environment: now she can't wait to get out and be an ordinary student. She has said she doesn't want any support - (help! :unsure: ) - but that's a whole other subject for discussion I think!

Thanks for all the suggestions and information, they really helped. :)

K x

Kathryn

i am so glad it went well, it is so much easier when this happens.

I do hope your daughter gets the chance to enjoy her education.

nic

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry I'm late to this thread :shame: .

I'm really pleased the meeting went well and L feels happier about her future in education.

All the different names for exams etc are so confusing these days :unsure: .

Annie xx

>:D<<'>

Hi Kathryn

A lot of dejavue here - remember with my son. Remember if things go wonky for L make sure they have a time out room a safe haven if she feels anxious or over loaded as you saw what anxiety did to my son. Perhaps you could have another meeting like this. It really is the only way to get support from my experience. Well done you :thumbs: 'no boxing gloves' oh drats I was looking for some action :lol: :lol: :devil: just kidding... :D

:notworthy::thumbs:

Fxx >:D<<'>

Edited by Frangipani

really glad it was all so positive :)>:D<<'>

IT course - Blimey she'll be accessing 'safe mode' and locking you out of the PC if you're not careful! :lol:

L&P

BD :D

Kathryn, sorry I didn't see this earlier.

It's good to hear that your dd is going to gain access to more courses. I remember someone saying to me 'you don't mind moving forward even if it is slowly and only inches, as long as you're moving!'.... it's a bit like being on a train or in busy traffic, when you're not moving it's frustrating, but even when the traffic is only inching forward every so often it feels better!

Hope your dd enjoys the course.

Flora XX

IT course - Blimey she'll be accessing 'safe mode' and locking you out of the PC if you're not careful! :lol:

:shame:

Well it's good news for me, given how much I know about computers (as you know :rolleyes: ).

K x

Edited by Kathryn

My ex did the BTEC in IT. He really enjoyed it and got a lot from it. He went on to study Software Engineering at university, although that's another story . . .

Really glad it went well Kathryn. JP really enjoyed his BTec in IT, it suited him perfectly. He did need support though, there's a lot to get through.