oxgirl

Shoelaces .................

Well, we're on a roll over here. Jay can now officially tie his own shoelaces!! :groupwave:

That includes maintaining the tension in order to get them tight enough!! :groupwave:

Are we fab, or what! :dance::whistle:

~ Mel ~

Mel ~ you and Jay are coming leaps and bounds, that's just brilliant news !

I now wonder what you guys will be attempting next ????

>:D<<'> Clare x x x

Yippee :groupwave: :groupwave: :groupwave:

That's brilliant. Next on the list I think should be either learning how to make Mum a nice cup of tea (with choccy biccies :eat1:) or learning how to pour Mum a large glass of wine! :wine::drunk:

Do you think those are achievable? :unsure:

:thumbs::thumbs: well done the pair of you :D

advance warning: next phase will possibly be lots of snapped shoelaces as now he can do them he'll want them EXTRA tight :lol::lol:

I keep lots of spares about the house :)

L&P

BD :D

I can tie shoelaces but still haven't got the hang of the tension and they come undone all the time.

I use double bows. Then I can't get them off at all :wacko::lol:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I cried with joy and was on the phjone to all me family when my son could tie his shoelaces unaded he was 13 at the time it was a major event and great.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I cried with joy and was on the phjone to all me family when my son could tie his shoelaces unaded he was 13 at the time it was a major event and great.

paula >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hello love!!!missed you on here,you make me laugh so much :lol:

steve still cannot tie his laces,weve tried everything,he tucks them in at mo,wont wear velcro,says hes not a baby :rolleyes:

Thank you fans!! :whistle::lol:

Oooo, Mumble, love the idea of getting him to make me a cuppa, might have to think about that one. :thumbs:

Next challenge, 'LEARN TO SWIM' ............ watch this space!! :dance:

~ Mel ~

Mel that is fabulous!! :thumbs: And I'm a bit envious here :whistle: I have tried on and off for the past 7 years with trying to teach DS1 tying shoelaces to no avail!! :wallbash: Have to admit haven't tried for a while 'cos it's become like mission impossible :ph34r: and he's become kind of phobic about it (probs too much pressure in the past? :devil: ). We have made do with velcro for some time now :lol: . But now may give it another go :rolleyes: Did you use visual aids (stuff OT gives you) and practice shoe thing? Or do you have your own method :ph34r: you'd care to share?? ;)

Would like to point out DS1 has started to make me cups of coffee now! :thumbs: They are usually one part coffee ten parts sugar five parts milk :sick: and the water isn't always necessarily that hot :lol: but Hey we're getting there!!

Take care

Luv Witsend.

advance warning: next phase will possibly be lots of snapped shoelaces as now he can do them he'll want them EXTRA tight :lol::lol:

I keep lots of spares about the house :)

L&P

BD :D

Oh yes, that sounds very familiar! Buying shoes with heavy metal eyelets as well, because otherwise a month or two of B's shoe tying expertise and the holes tear through.

WELL DONE OXGIRL AND JAY!

:groupwave::band::balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

Cheers all. :thumbs:

Mel that is fabulous!! :thumbs: And I'm a bit envious here :whistle: I have tried on and off for the past 7 years with trying to teach DS1 tying shoelaces to no avail!! :wallbash: Have to admit haven't tried for a while 'cos it's become like mission impossible :ph34r: and he's become kind of phobic about it (probs too much pressure in the past? :devil: ). We have made do with velcro for some time now :lol: . But now may give it another go :rolleyes: Did you use visual aids (stuff OT gives you) and practice shoe thing? Or do you have your own method :ph34r: you'd care to share?? ;)

Would like to point out DS1 has started to make me cups of coffee now! :thumbs: They are usually one part coffee ten parts sugar five parts milk :sick: and the water isn't always necessarily that hot :lol: but Hey we're getting there!!

Take care

Luv Witsend.

Witsend, we were exactly the same. We tried a few years ago, like you, but the last few pairs of shoes he's had have been velcro so we let it slide. We couldn't get velcro to fit him this time so had to go with laces and we decided enough was enough!

I found the absolute key to Jay's success was tension...........in the laces, not in him, preferably! When doing the original knot, instead of wrapping it round once, wrap it round twice and it holds the knot firmer. Then, when he does the loop with one hand, with the other hand he used to hold the lace right at the end so it was really long and made a really loose loop with a lot of slack. I had to get him to move his hand right the way down so it was right at the base of the lace, giving as short a piece as possible to wrap around. That meant that there wasn't much slack when he pushed the loop through and it stayed tighter from the start. Can you follow that?! :wacko:

I didn't use any aids or anything, I just sat next to him with my trainer on and we took one stage at a time together, so I'd do the loop on mine and show him how to and he'd copy. He was hideously uncooperative at first, rolling around on the floor screeching, which isn't exactly conducive to effective learning, but we did the practice each day, just a few mins, until he finally cracked it.

Best of luck with it Witsend. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Been trying to teach my DS for years how to tie his laces. :wallbash: He's now grown out of velcro shoes and it's impossible to get him to tie the new shoes. Solution? My new MBTs came with a 'butterfly clip' where the laces remain threaded through the holes. All you have to do is pull the 'bunny ears' and they're tied. The nice man in the shop gave me an extra pair for DS!! :thumbs::D

Hi Mel -

I found the absolute key to Jay's success was tension...........in the laces, not in him, preferably! When doing the original knot, instead of wrapping it round once, wrap it round twice and it holds the knot firmer. Then, when he does the loop with one hand, with the other hand he used to hold the lace right at the end so it was really long and made a really loose loop with a lot of slack. I had to get him to move his hand right the way down so it was right at the base of the lace, giving as short a piece as possible to wrap around. That meant that there wasn't much slack when he pushed the loop through and it stayed tighter from the start. Can you follow that?!

:unsure::unsure::unsure::wacko::wacko::wacko::o:o:o:lol::lol::lol:

Right have had a glass (or two ;) of wine right now, but I am quite sure these instructions will make perfect sense whe I re read them in the cold light of day tomorrow!! :P:lol:

Cheers

Luv Witsend.

Right have had a glass (or two ;) of wine right now, but I am quite sure these instructions will make perfect sense whe I re read them in the cold light of day tomorrow!! :P:lol:

Ha, wouldn't bet on it! Good luck with it. :whistle::lol:

~ Mel ~

well done to both of you!

we have tried on and off but i'm going to give it a good go now. would love him to be doing his laces before september and teh move to secondary school......also have to tackle the tie! he nearly choked himself when we tried that :whistle:

Good luck, jools. :thumbs: He's still doing them quite loosely and they're coming undone a lot. Today, walking back from town, he had to sit down on the kerb for five mins to redo them. He wanted me to do it for him but I said I'd prefer him to do it himself. He did make a bit of a scene, but at least he did it. :thumbs: We're very lucky, 'cos Jay doesn't have to wear a uniform to school so we don't have to worry about ties. I bet they're a nightmare! :o

~ Mel ~

:thumbs::thumbs: Well done :thumbs: I gave up teaching kieran to tie his shoelaces years ago he just cant grasp it bless him and he s 21.I even got him one of them shoe lace training things from early learning but he just cant get the hang of it .So on the rare occasion he goes out he has to have them tied for him and the thing is as well he ll only let me tie them for him he says no one else ties them right think its the tightness they dont get right for him if they arent tight he says that his shoes are falling off