ogsplosh

Toddler toys

My DD is 6 but only wants to play with toddler toys in particular the Happy land figures from ELC.

Before the meeting with the educational psychologist I was not letting her play with them as they were babyish but she used to beg me for them. The ed psych said that she should be encouraging her to play with them as they are very simple charters and she is more able to connect to them.

is this something other children with AS do?

Edited by ogsplosh

My daughter likes toddler toys too, I feel that it's a variety of reasons, they are colourful, she is familiar with them, often they have more things to do(ie turn knobs, push buttons etc) and toys aimed at girls her age don't interest her much, barbie etc, though there are some animal ones out now like littlest pets shop that fit her obsession with animals :lol:

If I think the toy will serve a purpose such as a motor skill she needs to develop then I buy it, but often now I try to discourage her buying baby toys as it singles her out even more, and often she's bored of it by the time we get home anyway :rolleyes:

The Happyland are for ages 3-6 aren't they? I wouldn't have any problem buying this is my dd showed any interest in it ;)

A x

Levi does this... The other thing he's been doing recently is watching toddler and baby programmes on TV. Does anyone elses child do this? He's very smart, but he insists on watching them.

A lot of the toys N plays with (not that she play with many) are designed for younger children. She is 9 and i quite happy to play with her little brother's Little People toys (similar to Happy Street) - in fact, when she was younger her Little People Doll's House was really the only toy she would play with. She also likes playing with his toy cars and his Lunar Jim toys. Yesterday i caught her playing with her sister's Polly Pockets.

In fact, the only toys for her age group that she plays with is Lego and her Dr Who figures.

As AS is a 'developmental disorder' it's quite common that children with AS play with younger children's toys. I would let them do it. Perhaps you can look at that there's some role-play involved. How they play is much more important that what toys they use.

I really dont think you should worry about this. Most kids relish all things familiar- many NT kids like to play with babyish toys-sometimes its because baby toys are generally bright, cute and appealing, sometimes the noises such toys and actions these toys tend to feature are a big draw...

I don't know about you guys, but I find some of these new fangled baby toys terribly intriguing! I simply MUST press the buttons to hear the sound or watch various bits spin and whiz and twinkle! Its fun!!

I also recall playing with my little brothers baby toys when I was about your daughters age, ogsplosh. And very attached I was to them too, it took years before I would let my mum give them away.

I agree with shnoing, the figures may be chunky and aimed at younger kids but they can be used in a way that helps her develop skills.

Esther x

Hi Kieran is 22 at the end of the month and he has just bought all the FIF flowertots DVDs and the talking flower tots t fifi it is sweet but it makes me sad in some sense that he takes great delight from these things and thomas the tank engine i dont think he ll ever let that go.he pointed out to me the other day that you can get fifi bed set i think i ll draw the line at that one awwwwww.

I don't think age comes into it at all. The DS loves playing with figures and plush toys, and his friend who is also 12 and has AS loves his Thomas the tank.. If it makes them happy is what I say :thumbs:

Edited by Cariad

I agree with others, if she is happy playing with her toys, then don't worry about it. My lad is 14, highly intelligent, top of his year in Science at school but cried buckets when Grandma and Grandad were looking after him and they put too many bubbles in his bath so it meant that he couldn't play with his fish toys in the bath. They were cross with him and told him he was too old to be playing with toys in the bath, but they are wrong. He has many, many little plastic fish toys (he bought five new sharks at the weekend, actually, and is thrilled to bits with them) and he lies flat on his belly and plays with them or makes them swim about in the air and he's as happy as larry and good on him, I say. What he really covets is a sea snail toy, but can we find one anywhere! :wub:

~ Mel ~

well I am embracing the toddler toys :D We have even got some extra from ebay. I think I was just worried by what other people would say which I know is silly but there are still people out there that think I am 'making her act autistic'. Trying to close my ears to them all

Good for you Ogsplosh....

....many your daughter have many happy years with her toys, I think the average child is made to grow up far too quickly in this day and age anyway.

Clare x x x