Hello Panagiotis,

Welcome to the forum :) You have a lot of interests!

I hope you stay and join in the discussions here.

I've edited your post to remove the website address: it asks for a donation which is against our rules. Sorry about that.

Kathryn

Advertising :/

I'm pretty sure IQ scales don't even go up that high... there's no exact way of measuring it past 150.

hi,

Roseweave, Yes the IQ testing does go up to 170

after 170 it is imeasureable.

mel xx

Hi Panagiotis,

My husband is Greek Cypriot and his name is Panos, a derivation of your name I think! He is however not a genius or even a multi millionnaire shipping magnate!!! Oh well!!

Stella x

Well the IQ test I did only gave percentiles so when you're in the 99th percentile you score 137 or higher and that's it.

Well the IQ test i did only went up to three...

well, it did for me, anyway...

That far? Ooohh, so many comments...

Head exploding.

Ouch.

(Hev, here's your chance, he's set this one up good and proper... :devil:)

And on-topic, why the obsession with IQ when all it is is a test of how well you can do the test - and no I'm not bitter and coming at it that way, that's coming from a sound understanding of the research literature. There is so much more to individuals that a number through which they are labelled.

Well the IQ test I did only gave percentiles so when you're in the 99th percentile you score 137 or higher and that's it.

I'm 134 and I'm in the 99th percentile :/

Apparently I have an IQ in the top 1%, but it doesn't appear to help me make a success of my life. I am not particularly intelligent and did not get particularly good A Level grades even though I worked extremely hard on them. I do not understand some newspaper articles and I cannot read a bus timetable. I generally would not tell people I come across in my day to day life that I have a high IQ, because then they would expect more of me than I can achieve. People at work think I am really clever because I read books on my lunchbreak, but I just read for pleasure. I generally don't read anything really heavy or intellectual (although I do have War and Peace on the bookshelf!).

When I was assessed for AS, the doctor said that it was probably my high IQ that enabled me to cope so well, because I was able to work out situations intellectually when I couldn't work it out intuitively. I don't know if this is true in my case, but it might explain where all my IQ is being spent :lol:

Apparently I have an IQ in the top 1%, but it doesn't appear to help me make a success of my life. I am not particularly intelligent and did not get particularly good A Level grades even though I worked extremely hard on them.

To be fair, you don't need a good IQ for grades. See my other thread on intelligence I made a couple of days ago.

I have known so many people who are terribly intelligent but just cant seem to get the grades they'should' at school/college etc. This probably has a lot to do with poor organisational skills etc but generally speaking, they just couldn't cope with the pressure of the exams. It can also depend on how information is presented- it might work best if its done visually, for example, rather than lots of paper, but thatsa relatively new development in education....

Besides, many folk who are 'successful' have few or no qualifications. Not that big a deal!

Esther x

Edited by pookie170

I'm 134 and I'm in the 99th percentile :/

Could depend on the state/country you're in.

Edited by Shnoing

High iq doesnot make a genius, some people with low iq have incredible savant skills that are genius ie kim peek. My son has low iq but could play chess at 2 though did not learn to speak also can play music just by watching it.

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/sav...asked_questions

I myself could not do gce's easily, but that was because the subjects were boring, but could do a degree when it is my interest,although finding a degree that covered thelevel my interest went to was hard as the degree course I felt was very limited

Edited by florrie

I have known so many people who are terribly intelligent but just cant seem to get the grades they'should' at school/college etc. This probably has a lot to do with poor organisational skills etc but generally speaking, they just couldn't cope with the pressure of the exams. It can also depend on how information is presented- it might work best if its done visually, for example, rather than lots of paper, but thatsa relatively new development in education....

It's called exam technique and something lots of highly intelligent people lack. You don't need to be a genius to get top grades in GCSE, A Level, or university exams, but you need to know the exam technique to get the grades. I was once talking to somebody who has tutored kids and entered them in for GCSEs before they are 10. He stated the importance of exam technique as the key to getting good grades. He would often spend more time teaching exam technique than the subject itself, because the kids can often just learn by following their interest.

Besides, many folk who are 'successful' have few or no qualifications. Not that big a deal!

Same here. The reverse is also true as I have met several people who have lots of qualifications but are not very successful when it comes to careers or earning money.