bid

Urgent please

We have reached a serious crisis here with DS, who will be 19 in July :(

He was signed off from CAMHS when he was 17/18, so he has no consultant or any other support.

Does anyone know if young adults are just transferred to the local mental health team, or is there an ASD specific team? I am really concerned about the local team after my own experience with them.

I'm seeing our GP tomorrow, but just wondered in advance if there was anything specific...that's if he will even agree to see anyone :(

Bid :(

Edited by bid

bid, sorry I don't know the answer to your question. :(

Hope you're all ok hun >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :(

Flora XXXX

No answers either I'm afraid, despite attending a whole day conference on transition, just confirmed there is v little in my area, I would have no idea who to turn to if JP needed anyone.

Thinking of you. >:D<<'>

Bid,

:(>:D<<'>

Since L was signed off at about the same time as your DS, we've had no contact with any support services either, so can't offer any advice. I don't know of any ASD specfic help here - I expect the support would come from the adult mental health team.

K x

sorry, nothing helpful to offer, but hope you find some answers soon >:D<<'> :(

Camhs could be a good place to start... he may not fit their remit anymore, but hopefully they would have some ideas of what is available for adults, as they would be 'handing on' users of their service on a regular basis (?)

You could also try NAS, maybe? Sorry - I'm sure you've already thought of these things and much more besides :(

Bid DS2 has seen no one since he was 16 when we were signed off from CAMHS, he will be 21 in July. We have some concerns at the moment here to. I organised a conference, which took place last week, for the North East Autism Consortium, where I found out that at the moment there is one, yes only one, clinician operating between Hull and Newcastle. I was advised not to let a mental health team loose on DS2 who have no specific ASD knowledge.

I have tried in my LA and was informed that AS comes under the 'Life Long Care Team' and not the 'Learning Disability Team' I was actually asked by that team what AS was followed by how do you spell it. :crying:

The Key Note speaker at our Conference is the best aound where I live for miles, and I did feel better after speaking to them, but the fact remains that we again find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. I will pay if necessary for DS2 to see someone, probably the person I was speaking to last week. Today we went to see out GP as suggested to me last week, in the hope that if the multiple allergies that DS2 now has as well as his AS and Keratoconus can be identified and the symptoms treated successfully, the other concerns will die down. I really do hope so.

If I were you Bid I would be finding out if there are any leading bods in your area even if that means you go private. I have heard of too many adults seeing the wrong people and the outcome has not been good. Adult Mental Health Teams often have no expertise at all of ASD.

Cat

Edited by Cat

Is there no adult disability team in your area hun? i have been told that once Jay leaves childrens disability team at age of 19 he gets automatically transferred over.... I hope this helps...

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Hmm, I'm 18 next month and I'm currently with CAMHS, but will be transfered to their adult services in July. Maybe try asking CAMHS if they'll give your son some support again? I'm not entirely sure how it works.. I have OCD and schizophrenia - no aspergers - so perhaps it's slightly different. I'm wondering if there are any groups or something in your area that could help..

CAMHS just said to go to the GP for a referral to adult services, so I'm going on Thursday to see the GP who helped when eveything imploded when he was 14. I'm going on my own so that I can find out what's what.

Thank you to all the people who have PM'd with kind wishes and links/ideas, etc >:D<<'>

I just feel shattered after last night :(

Edited by bid

OK, I'm trying to be positive now.

I realise that I've got to put myself first (not in a bad way), because last time I became really ill too (lost loads of weight, hair started to fall out, etc, etc :(). But this time I'm working full-time, which I have to do because of the mortgage, plus the other kids.

I've done everything I can for the time being (GP on Thursday), and I'm going to think about asking for Citalopram again. Plus I'm going to get The Boogley One at work to suggest some supplements to promote well-being and boost my immune system (for DS, too, if he will take them), and I think I might go for some regular boogley-healing with him too.

I've got to stay together.

Bid

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Bid.Sorry I have no words of wisdom either....there appears to be very little support in my area once teenagers are discharged from Camhs.I recently commented at a meeting that it appears to me to be less than helpful to describe review at 16-18 with Camhs as a transition meeting when nothing is on offer to transition to. :wallbash::wallbash:

Take care. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Hi bid,

Please try looking up 'Transition Protocol' on your LA web site, this is a government lead protocol, which is suposed to be in place to help you move from childrens services to adult serveces. Now not all counties are up to speed with this but they should all have some sort of pathway in place to help you find the adult services you need. From what I am begining to notice, it seems far more difficult to access this if your young adult does not have a profund learning difficulty, but this will only change if enougth folks make a big noise.

You obviously have a number of medical issues going on with your son so, he might be able to access some sort of multi agency support! I know how madning this whole stuff can be all we seem to do is get passed on from one person to another, all of whom are being paid a good wage to give us the run around, I just wish some one would free up some of that money to help our kids.

Good luck with GP.

Anna

Thank you again everyone >:D<<'>

And a big >:D<<'> to Kellyanne for mopping up some tears last night and being sad for my DS too...it really means alot when friends care about him too.

Saw the GP today, and I have a tentative plan of action but it all depends on DS wanting to do it, so we shall see as I haven't talked to him yet :ph34r:

Bid

Edited by bid

Saw the GP today, and I have a tentative plan of action but it all depends on DS wanting to do it, so we shall see as I haven't talked to him yet :ph34r:

Bid

Hope it all comes together for all concerned :pray:

BD >:D<<'>

Hi Bid >:D<<'>

Haven't posted for a very long time. R was transferred tp adult services last July.

I have to say that they have been more helpful and understanding than CAMHS ever were!

I hope everything goes well with the transistion process.X

Hi hun, glad it went well with the gp, I agree about looking after yourself too >:D<<'> , as parents we are all to often the glue that holds stuff together for our kids and we,ve got to be in a strong place to do that.Hope your "cunning little plan" can work/help your ds before stuff gets worse :tearful: , all the best bid hugs suzex.

One of the saddest things, that happened last time and is sadly happening again now, is when friends/family can't 'cross the road' quickly enough.

And you're left wondering: I thought you knew and liked my son as a person in his own right. Was there really such little substance to it all? :(

Edited by bid

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sorry ive no positives here sadly like some have already mentioned of their experiences Kieran hasnt seen anyone since he was singned of from cahms and he s 22 next week,I was told that the services for over 18 s in our area are few and far between but the problem that i have is even if the services wheer there theres no way kieran would take them up as ive posted before he very rarely leaves the confines of these four walls, we even tried making him but looking back now that hasnt done us any favours so much for the"get him out there in the wide world im sorry but its easier said than done.Hope you get somewhere >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Bid,

Is it possible you could get back in touch with any doctors/ counselors that were beneficial in the past? Even if it has been a couple of years later. Just write down in bullet point ? the problem areas, strengths, weaknesses, triggers causing anxiety, problems day to day, routine, sleep patterns, diet, fears, just to get a picture overall. Try and talk to one of these professionals from the past and say you need support but cannot find it anywhere and ask if they can recommend anyone. Ring a few to get second and third opinions. Then ring their referrals and hear what they suggest.

It seems like a lot of fuss and phone calls, but the only way forward from my experience. The best part is often they are happy to hear from you to get an update on your child?s progress.

On the upside, you will learn about many services and support that is available, that you never realised existed.

This has been my backup plan over the years and a learning curb...

Families?.. What are they?..? Mine are very ego centric. Busy planning their next goal.

Families these days are you, hubby and the kids and your friends?!

Everyone looks after number one. Sad but true.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fran

Well, he has agreed to half of the GP's suggestions...

And the job he left a couple of months ago asked him back, so thank goodness he is earning again and has more structure to his days!

Bid

And the job he left a couple of months ago asked him back, so thank goodness he is earning again and has more structure to his days!

Bid

Well that's a start at least. I hope life gets better for him soon.

>:D<<'>

K x

Bid

I am relieved to read that things may be getting better, Im sorry Ive not read this as I thought it would be more adult as services, as J isnt an adult didnt read it, but Im really amazed that all that is on offer is medication, if thats correct, in our area we have a residential service for ASD Adults, I think this is throw Adult Mental Health, I will try and pm you the site.

Have you thought about contacting MENCAP, they may know of more services in your area, I understand they support families with Learning Disabilities but they know of other services.

Contact a family may be another contact and the last one Im thinking of is Youngminds only because they may know the structures of Childrens and Adults mental health services.

Im also thinking Carers Service in your area too.

Also writing to your MP and express concerns over the services available for adults with AS too.

I really hope things get better Im soo sorry things are really bad with the services for Adults with ASDs.

>:D<<'>

JsMum