Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Night Terrors

Do you or your children have these? Are they linked to ASDs or to co-morbids?

I used to have nightmares as a child but these are very different and are absolutely terrifying me. I'm actually scared to go to sleep :(. I had two last night - everything, and I mean everything from my bed get thrown around the room, sheets and everything and I wake up in the early stages of a panic attack, soaked with sweat (despite keeping my room cool), disorientated and confused.

Does anyone know what causes these? I'm seeing my psych and GP tomorrow so I'll mention it, but I'm really scared. :tearful:

Do you or your children have these? Are they linked to ASDs or to co-morbids?

I used to have nightmares as a child but these are very different and are absolutely terrifying me. I'm actually scared to go to sleep :(. I had two last night - everything, and I mean everything from my bed get thrown around the room, sheets and everything and I wake up in the early stages of a panic attack, soaked with sweat (despite keeping my room cool), disorientated and confused.

Does anyone know what causes these? I'm seeing my psych and GP tomorrow so I'll mention it, but I'm really scared. :tearful:

Not exactly sure what causes these but have you been focussing on anything that worries you recently? The fire alarm above my bed when going to sleep caused intense sleep problems and bad dreams after it went off a lot (see thread 'argh fire alarm!'.

Hi Mumble,

I used to suffer this a lot when my workload or stress levels were up. I learned a good thing to do was write down before I went to sleep, what were the most important things I need to do tomorrow. So I didnt go to sleep tossing about which ones I would do. You may not be conscious you are doing this at all, but what happens is once you go off to sleep, in your mind you last going over and over you list in your mind then you end up have a restless night or nightmare.

Also, if you go to sleep wondering, did I lock the front door, or turn the oven off or any worrying thought that will play in your mind not allowing you to go past the light phase of sleep and eventually triggering a nightmare as subconciously you want to go and check these things but too tired to wake yourself up to go and check them.

Doing yoga or meditation and having a good winding down period before sleep is good, a hot shower or bath. Read a book, listen to some music classical gentle is very soothing. Do speak to your GP. Also if you are lacking in Magnesium this can cause sleep deprivation. I was advised to take a magnesium tablet before sleep at night, this helped me sleep right through. Again, speak with your GP,

Fran x :)

B used to have these on a regular basis, they were more frequent when he was stressed or having a rough time with his asthma.

They are horrible, but caused him no long-lasting damage and he couldn't remember having them the next day, although at the time they were terrifying to watch.

I'm not being pedantic, but what in particular frightens you about them?

Do you remember much the next day, or when you come back into yourself?

Do you sleepwalk during them? Or have others complained about screaming or roaring?

They are not uncommon in many NT children up to the age of 8 or so, night terrors as opposed to nightmares.

Edited by Bard

Oh poor you. My son suffers from night terrors and also sleep walks regulary, he 's been walkabout tonight - which is why I'm still up at this on godly hour so I sort of know what you are talking about. The problem we have is that if I mention the next day that he was up in the night he can't remember anything about it and it frightens and upsets him. I have no idea what causes them but I am trying to get some answers at the moment. If the people who are working with him can find out why it happen I will let you know.

He does walk more often when he is stressed, the run up the Christmas, birthdays and towards the end of the school year are especially stressful for him so he walks more then.

Also it always happens about 2 hours after he has gone to sleep.

I hope you have now managed to get some rest and good luck with your appointment tomorrow

Night Night.

ANYBODY can have night terrors at ANY age.

It is more common in children and also can be a side effect of mental illness or stress.

Are the terrors related to anything??

Some terrors /nightmares can be related to past events/trauma some are random.

If you are having difficulties orienting yourself back to the real world and being dazed and confused then write basic details on a card such as "i am mumble, I am a student, i am in bedroom, door is locked, i am safe" etc etc. simple statements about where you are. keep the little card on bedside table and read it.

A similar card technique is frequently used for extreme flashbacks (ie a night terror when awake).

Definitely discuss them with the doc as it will give them a better perspective of your overall stress levels.

Only advice i can give to make it better is that they are only night terrors..... no matter how bad or scary they are, they are not reality. Try and think in that perspective before going to bed and plan what you will do to orient your self back to real world when you have one. that way you can lower the fear and take control.

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

O no it must be horrendous-my lad has night terrors umpteen times a week n wakes crying his heart out convinced they are real.

They can be a side effect of antidepressants. If you are taking them, it might be worth considering a different one.

Hi Mumble

My husband used to suffer badly with these from when he was a young child right up until he was in his early 20s. He is not on the spectrum, and I think the reason he had them was because he didn't have a great childhood for reasons I won't go into.... and as a result he was quite anxious and stressed. He is now almost 33 and hasn't had one in 12 years :thumbs: even though he still gets stressed occasionally.

N doesn't seem to suffer either night terrors or nightmares (in fact her younger NT sister has more nightmares than her).

My late mum used to suffer with his a lot. Every night she'd wake up the whole house by letting out a loud, piercing scream, it used to frighten the life out of us all. :o She had no idea what it was all about until she finally discussed it with someone when she was in her seventies. Turned out it all stemmed from a traumatic childhood memory. As a very little girl she was attending the funeral of an aunt and someone suddenly lifted her up and held her over the coffin to get a good view, whereupon she let out an ear shattering scream and she'd been reliving it every night for over sixty years! Suddenly, after discussing the incident, the night screaming stopped.

~ Mel ~

B used to have these on a regular basis, they were more frequent when he was stressed or having a rough time with his asthma.

That's interesting in itself as I'm having problems with my asthma at the moment which I haven't for years (or rather I've managed it very well for years, and suddenly am not :( )

However, I don't think that's really the cause and is at most probably a contributory factor. I discussed it with my psych and he wasn't surprised, he said my mind's working overtime trying to process everything at the moment that it doesn't stop when I tell it it's bedtime and as these aren't issues that can be solved overnight this could be an ongoing issue. It's really getting me down, I usually have a pretty regular pattern of sleeping, waking, eating etc., but I'm so scared to sleep at the moment I'm tending more to collapse into a heap with exhaustion at various times.

I'm not being pedantic, but what in particular frightens you about them?

I'm not sure - I wake up in a state of fear, I guess it's not feeling in control.

Do you remember much the next day, or when you come back into yourself?

I remember the feeling of sheer, utter panic.

Do you sleepwalk during them? Or have others complained about screaming or roaring?

Screaming and roaring at night is pretty usual in a uni hall of residence (:o) so if I was doing it I don't think anyone would complain, though I don't think I do much, but I was aware of screaming once - sleepwalking I used to do as a kid, but it stopped, although I have literally jumped out of bed when I've woken up from a lying position - quite impressive, I'm thinking of joining the Olympic acrobatics team.

Are the terrors related to anything??

Erm, yes.

A similar card technique is frequently used for extreme flashbacks (ie a night terror when awake).

I had these about 8 years ago. They were the most horrific experience (almost more so than the events I was flashing back to) I'd been through. The feelings I'm getting are similar now (but the cause different).