Cat

David Militello - 9 year old Autistic Boy

He does have a remarkable singing voice!

Isn't he tiny though. He looks more like 4 years old to me. His mum can pick him up.

He's very sweet. Don't you just want to eat him all up?

Edited by Tally

awww

He's really cute - looks so much younger than 9

He was pretty good at keeping in tune

Just hope that he was no overwhelmed by the whole thing - there was one moment when I thought he might cry

He is very courageous.

It really annoys me though, some of the quotes on youtube, written below.

Such negativity.

So go in and give them the thumbs down, some of the negative comments.

:(

He is very cute but I wouldn't say he's particularly talented. Whose decision was it for him to sing in front of a large audience, I wonder?

K x

He is a little cutie bless him. He is about the same size as my 8 year old lad.

Lovely little kid, nice singing voice - but nothing special.

Some peeps say he's being patronised because he's AS and he IS - but he's also being patronised because he's an 8 year old kid with an okay singing voice.... Lena Zavaroni/Charlotte Church/Little Jimmy Osmond/That girl who was violet elizabeth bott whose name I can never remember...

Mawkish people weep buckets over people like this, and disabled contestants on something like BB (who was that guy with tourettes who got voted winner? In real life, prior to big brother, ninety nine percent of the peeps who voted for him would have sniggered or run away from him :( )

If the kid likes singing/wants to be there - beautiful >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

If he'd rather be at home singing in the bathroom - shameful :( :( (and the same would apply whether he had ASD or not)

If peeps vote for him because he's autistic, or because he's nine, or because he's autistic and nine... well I guess they will. But they're not voting for HIM, they're voting for exactly the same reasons they'll dip their hands in their pocket on red nose day, while happily binning every other charidee envelope that comes through their doors for the other 364 days of the year :)

:D

It is patronising. People are not celebrating his voice - just applauding the fact that he's standing up and singing on a stage (as opposed to what? Sitting in a corner, rocking?).

If he wanted to go up there and perform, great, let him do it and enjoy it. But if adults (not necessarily his parents) have used him just to make a point about autism, that's exploitative and wrong, in my opinion.

K x

His parents did say he loved performing in front of an audience - the bigger the better. They might have been lying, but if they are telling the truth, then I think it's good he had the opportunity to participate.

I think people will vote for him because he looks cute, in part because he is so tiny. Because of his age and his autism, they will probably forgive faults they would not accept in other participants.

But I still think he has a remarkable voice for such a young child.

:thumbs::thumbs: Good on him made me cry :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

He was so sweet ive just been an read the comments posted on this video i cannot believe some of the comments made by people

hmmm, I'm kind of torn too. Yes he's cute, he can hold a tune but he doesn't have a strong voice as such. Hope he really is there because he wants to be and not because someone has pushed him. He'll probably win it!

(BD... it was Bonnie Langford btw !!!!)

Flora

disabled contestants on something like BB (who was that guy with tourettes who got voted winner? In real life, prior to big brother, ninety nine percent of the peeps who voted for him would have sniggered or run away from him

So why is it a bad thing that people who would have sniggered or run away from him learned enough about the condition to see beyond it? And hopefully, not snigger or run away the next time they encounter it in a different individual.

As for the lad - he seemed to be enjoying himself, and he had a decent enough voice to be accepted in a choir IMO.

So why is it a bad thing that people who would have sniggered or run away from him learned enough about the condition to see beyond it?

Because they didn't. The 99% who stopped sniggering briefly because they were 'caught up in the BB moment" won't have changed one iota in their general attitudes. They were being patronising, and when they grew bored, they stopped patronising...

The stange little screeching girl who came second got one or two series of her own before her star faded - both of them pretty much car-crash TV, made to make her look even more stupid than she actually is (an impossible task, you'd have thought, but they managed it), because TV CAN get away with exploiting people who don't have public sympathy (our weekend schedules are full of freak shows - in fact the boy this thread is about is appearing on one of them - where they have one or two 'real' acts who have some degree of talent/ability and several more who are there to be publicly ridiculed by Simon Cowell, who in a previious life was probably the chief lunatic wrangler in an asylum - his job to agitate/bully/terrify the inmates so they'd put on a good show for the paying punters. Bet the asylums were full of peeps on the spectrum too - giving good value for money then as they are now - just the angle has changed and the targets along with it.

Oddly, apart from the week or so after coming out of the house, the tourettes guy did crop up on TV earlier this week. On the Culture show - probably the one programme he's appeared on where the offer was genuine rather than to patronise.

Sorry - reality TV shows are not there to empower disabled people. If they were, they would spend far less time showing 'failed' auditions of those who appear equally lost/disenfranchised/out of step with the rest of the planet and having a damn good chuck-fest at them :sick:

Next week, they've got John Merrick singing Nellie The Elephant while Simon rolls his eyes and says 'that's the worst singing I've ever heard! Ooooh - I can hardly wait :whistle:

Because they didn't. The 99% who stopped sniggering briefly because they were 'caught up in the BB moment" won't have changed one iota in their general attitudes. They were being patronising, and when they grew bored, they stopped patronising...

You don't know that for a fact, its just your opinion, given that you can't canvas the whole population about their attitude to Tourette's pre & post BB. ( And neither can I, so we'll have to agree to differ on this one :))

You don't know that for a fact, its just your opinion, given that you can't canvas the whole population about their attitude to Tourette's pre & post BB. ( And neither can I, so we'll have to agree to differ on this one :))

Hi pearl :) That's fine hen :)

I just wish you'd chosen to pick up on some of the other stuff i'd said

Sorry - reality TV shows are not there to empower disabled people. If they were, they would spend far less time showing 'failed' auditions of those who appear equally lost/disenfranchised/out of step with the rest of the planet and having a damn good chuck-fest at them

'cos while I can't canvas the whole country, I think the key lies in the fact that people will sit in front of their TV's night after night laughing at people who are delusional, and saying 'well they didn't have to go on, did they?' to justify it. When they remove the car crash element from reality shows people stop watching. Li'l David isn't 'Car crash' but he is tokenisn at its most obvious and despicable, because he's not 'going to Vegas' because he's great, he's going because he's small, cute and disabled, awwwwwwwwwwwwwww bless. :)

Baddad, budge up 'cos I'll be joining you in the forum stocks! :devil:

Sorry, but I echo the dissenters here...his voice is not particularly strong, and I find the whole autism mawk-fest really patronising :sick:

Bid

Edited by bid

I was just thitnking this morning, my son had the most beautiful singing voice when he was around 4, he used to love singing the nursery rhymes to his little princess, he called her, his little sister. :wub:

I used to love listening to him in the car. He would sing her to sleep.

:)

Baddad, budge up 'cos I'll be joining you in the forum stocks! :devil:

Bid

I actually find them quite comfortable these days - spent so much time in 'em they've been sanded smooth to my exact size, and what with the cost of shopping these days I find I can almost always find one or two good "stock" vegetables among the putrid ones being hurled at me.

It's getting a bit like Song of the South - when I need a break or we're running short on tatas I'll just wait for the next opportunity to say "Please don't throw me in the stocks, BBW'. :lol:

(oh - pearl: sorry, if I got a bit humpy last night. The whole "media representation and response to disability" thing is a really, really big bug-bear of mine, and i sort of went there rather than the specifics of this story about a nice little kid :))

I used to love listening to him in the car. He would sing her to sleep

Frangipani - totally agree that those sorts of memories are priceless, and that's how it should be.

If that little boy loves singing, and makes other people and himself happy doing it that should be celebrated, but building that up into a National (God! - International - cute-fest for people watching at home is totally wrong. That bubble will burst, very VERY soon (ask Lena, dead at 14 from anorexia trying to make the transition from the Nation's favourite baby-doll nightie wearing cute-fest to respected adult performer - and she could carry a tune, and didn't have the added complication of 'disabilipity' stacked against her).

Gotta give that Charlotte Church her due - she survived it! :)

Nowt but respect for (who was it again, Flozza - oh yeah) Bonnie Langford, too, in a way, but when you look into her face you get the impression that somewhere in the back of her head she still hears the screams - "Jazz hands, Jazz hands - Eyes and teeth, eyes and teeth" - and they will never fade.

Shirley Temple went on to be a great politician and diplomat. Many people point to that as an indication that she wasn't affected by her childhood... Hmmm, how many politicians would you trust in a crisis? :whistle::unsure:

I think there's a big difference, BD, between laughing at failed auditions because someone is completely talentless (but thinks they are gods gift to the world of entertainment), & laughing at someone because they are disabled. I honestly can't think of an occasion where that has happened.

There's a blind guy in BB this year, & I'm finding it really interesting following the forum debates about it, will he get the sympathy vote etc. Someone actually said, is it OK to dislike him, not cos he's blind but cos he really gets on my nerves? :lol: He led a task where the HM's had to go round blindfolded for a day. At the end of it, they all understood much better why he was so tired all the time, as the practical stuff they take for granted requires more thought & effort from him.

Yes you always get shallow, thoughtless peeps who either "feel sorry" for someone like him, or make tastless jokes at his expense. But there are several blind forum members posting constantly at at the mo, educating & informing, & for me that can only be a good thing.

Now, am I going :offtopic: or just widening the debate? :D

I think there's a big difference, BD, between laughing at failed auditions because someone is completely talentless (but thinks they are gods gift to the world of entertainment),

Reminds me of the X factor auditions a couple of years back... to my mind one of the funniest examples of the above... A duo... man and woman.... who were as cheesey as you can get.... refused to accept that they weren't going to go through to boot camp.... the bouncers had to usher them out and as they were being pushed towards the door the guy could be heard saying frantically to his singing partner ....'sing 'em a song della' (I think you had to see it to appreciate the hillarity)... :lol:

Flo' :D

I stopped watching the X factor a few years ago because I became uncomfortable with how they were judging and airing the auditions and taking the mick out of young people, due to their appearance or weight or lack of ability. The sniggering, at the expense of some very young people, really p*ed me off so I switched off. It's not hard to treat someone with respect and kindly tell them if/why they feel they havn't got the vocal talent.

Kinda began to feel like I'd gone back centuries and was watching someone being thrown to the lions for entertainment.

Re watching disabled peeps on reality TV.......I've gotta say I became more aware of tourettes soley through watching Pete, and wasn't a previous contestant allegedly supposed to be an Aspie? I really warmed to the guy, not because he had supposedly had AS (I wasn't aware till he came out of the house), but just because he seemed a genuine fella with no "sides" to him.

I do think it would be wrong for someone to be voted for solely based on the fact they have a disability though.

Are you thinking of Eugene? I've no idea if he was AS or not though some peeps seemed to think so, but I loved him, such a nice genuine bloke. Every year I say I won't watch BB but there's always an interesting person like that & I get drawn in again.

Yes, that's him...although I don't know if it was confirmed or not.

I thought the other contestants would eat him for breakfast, but he seemed to be accepted for him, and did very well I thought.

I haven't watched BB since the one with Makosi and gang.

Tried to watch last year, but all these women went in, so switched off.

The best one was with Alex, Jade, Johnny and Kate :thumbs: I think that was the first one we watched tbh.

I think there's a big difference, BD, between laughing at failed auditions because someone is completely talentless (but thinks they are gods gift to the world of entertainment), & laughing at someone because they are disabled. I honestly can't think of an occasion where that has happened.

We'll A to D on that one... I've only ever seen this things by accident, or because some particular chuck-fest has been repeated on a programme I do watch. no, they wouldn't openly laugh at someone in a wheelchair, for example - they'd probably vote them forward for having the 'courage' to appear even if they had a voice like a canary farting on a sheet of tin - or who was blind (Oh no - I've never seen a stevie wonder joke on 'Russ abbots mad Brian Conelly house, have you?). But Don't you feel that "Gavin, who is 47 and lives with his mum and has a paper round, who's been singing in the bath ever since his mum dropped him on his head when he was a baby, and thinks he's the reincarnation of Buddy Holly" might be someone who slipped through the net? 100 years ago we laughed at the village idiot, now, thanks to huge advances in diagnosis, we put them on tv and share them with a wider audience instead. Maybe Ben will one day decide that he would like to 'Britain's got talent', sometime after I've gone and there's no one around to tell him that while he has got MANY talents singing and performing just isn't among them... Maybe, he'll declare his autism, and be treated with respect, but if not - what a treat for the Saturday night viewers! And as for kids who live around us now - "Oh yeah - he's the div kid who lived up the road from me".

I agree, that to have debates along the lines you suggest is great on TV, but do you think someone who dislikes him because he IS blind is going to say that in front of the BB cameras? Do you think they're gonna say 'that incessent tapping is doing my head in' or 'I've tripped over his ****** white stick 8 times today'. I'd put my money on something like, 'well, actually, I find him slightly condescending' or something else they know will do the job but without marking their own card? Not saying anyone in the house would dislike him purely because he's blind (I wouldn't know - It would take the good doctor from A clockwork orange with his eyelid stapler and strap-in chair to get me to watch it), just pointing out that if they did, and the fact that what they disliked could be side issues of the disability rather than the disability itself...

As for the 'blindfold for a day'... the most contrived piece of **** I was ever put thorugh in my care training, and i told them so at the time (employer was none to chuffed!) - and everyone who does it comes out of it with the idea that they have some unique and marvelous insight into the world of people who have lived, overcome, controlled that disability 24/7 for years, and years and years... they're usually the same people who use phrases like 'god gives special kids to special parents' (ignoring all of the evidence contained within child abuse statistics to the contrary) or 'I don't see the chair, I see the person in it' which is a hell of an attitude problem if you're at the bottom of a flight of stairs!

Dunno if we're off topic or widening the debate, but if we can discuss this here without people taking offence or anything it would be brilliant, because this is exactly the kind of stuff forums like this should be discussing :)

L&P

BD

Ooh you are a hard bitten cynic ... but I dont see the hard bitten cynic, I see the Drivelmeister we all know & love! :lol:

Tell you something, apropos of nothing ... there is also a guy with albinism & limited sight there this year .. he seems distinctly pee'd off that he's not the most disabled person in there! :lol:

OK so you didnt get anything out of being blindfolded for the day - but they did. Most of them are very young & many haven't ever thought about much beyond their own experience, & most of them gained an insight & respect for the guy. To me that is good. Baby steps & all that.

It sort of reminds me of the time as a young and volatile member of the Students' union, bouncing on the door of a concert.

Having a disagreement with another student who wanted to break the rules.

" You're just a ******* racist, you're picking on me because I'm black"

" No, I'm picking on you because in spite of being black, you're a pain in the *rse."

I posted a random bit of woffle the other night, wondering about special needs and targets and whether children should be happy at their own level, or aware of how far their efforts are from peer levels.

I tend to come down on the side of; if you can't sing well enough to be in a singing competition, then it shouldn't really be a factor what colour or disability you are. On the other hand, if you need a ramp, or headphones, or to spin whilst you sing, then that should be accommodated.

One of the tricky things about teaching at the moment, and that's all children, are the number that I'm coming across that have been empowered beyond their abilities and feel that they are entitled to achieve anything, regardless of talent, aptitude or effort.

And the blinded-by-love-and-ambition parents who back them to the hilt.

" You didn't pick my daughter for the lead, she's only in the chorus. You are racist"

"Your daughter sings like a magpie and talks over the other performers. She's got a shaker, she's a musician."

I agree with you about debates Baddad, discussion and sharing views are essential elements of a lively forum. If we A to D, then we are at least listening to the other poster's view rather than merely waiting for our turn.

Edited by baddad

Ooh you are a hard bitten cynic ... but I dont see the hard bitten cynic, I see the Drivelmeister we all know & love! :lol:

Tell you something, apropos of nothing ... there is also a guy with albinism & limited sight there this year .. he seems distinctly pee'd off that he's not the most disabled person in there! :lol:

OK so you didnt get anything out of being blindfolded for the day - but they did. Most of them are very young & many haven't ever thought about much beyond their own experience, & most of them gained an insight & respect for the guy. To me that is good. Baby steps & all that.

I'm not cynical at all! I'm just saying it like it is :)

Albinoguy - that is funny (and not in an anti-albinism (?) way...)... I remember this film - I think Tom Cruise was in it - and there was a 6 and a half foot tall albino assassin after him, and i thought, 'this guy really has picked the wrong career' :lol::lol:

Blindfold... it's not the idea of getting them to think beyond their own experience that's the problem - it's the assumption that having 'experienced first hand' they have learnt something, when in fact the reality is something completely different. Carving the Sunday joint does not teach me anything about the day to day life/stresses/complications of being an NHS neurosurgeon, and i wouldn't come away from carving the joint thinking I;'ve gained any insight even if it was sold to me as a 'traiing exercise in empathetic appreciation'.

Ask a five year old what it would be like to be blind. 'Not nice' they'll say. If the BB contestaents haven't mastered that degree of empathy by the time they hit adulthood then a day in blinkers isn't gonna help. You don't need to walk a mile in someone's shoes - you only have to have the very basic understanding to know that they are not YOUR shoes and that they would probably pinch or flop around a bit and give you blisters.

As for that respect thing... I bet their 'respectfully' thinking 'How can I put a spanner in the works for this bloke and win without making myself into the next Jane Goody/Jim Davidson?'

They aint there for 'personal growth', they're there to win a talent show for people without talent and to enjoy the five minutes that Andy warhol promised them...

Note to C4 execs. how to choose the next big brother contestents - anyone who WANTS to go on has a motive. ban them. Anyone who agrees to go on after being approached has done so because they wanted to apply but had heard about rule 1. ban them. Leave the door open, let some of Britian's homeless sleep there. Turn the cameras off. Go way. Forever...

Result of social experiment: 6-8 previously homeless people with warmth, shelter and running water... that's gotta be more than any other series of BB has achieved, hasn't it? :whistle:

I'm just saying it like it is

No - you are saying how you perceive it to be - as am I :)

My goodness, for someone who would have to be nailed to a chair to watch it, you know an awful lot about BB! :lol:

Personally I think if it made some of America realise that autism is not the plague that is it being pedaled as there, and left them asking if it is really necessary to eradicate the condition - then it was probably worth while leaving no damaged cars in its wake. I am taking it as a given that the child wanted to perform, not because Mum said so, because having two autistic sons of my own nothing and no one would make them do something like that unless they wanted to. He was cute (then so was Michael Jackson at that age) and he was an OK singer not brilliant - but much better imo than a child here who made it through to the UK finals last year. He just happens to have autism ? which is surely not a good enough reason for him not to be on the programme. You can see the majority of the acts who are on the show on ?You Tube? so being able to view this little boy is nothing that is not already being done.

I don?t like the way that the autism movement is going in America and maybe that it why I did not have a problem with seeing this child singing. He did not look like a threat to man kind to me. I really hope that people watching thought that to.

Cat

Edited by Cat

No - you are saying how you perceive it to be - as am I :)

My goodness, for someone who would have to be nailed to a chair to watch it, you know an awful lot about BB! :lol:

Hmmm... no, weighing up all the evidence I AM saying it as it is. If the evidence wasn't as completely overwhelming that responses to disability are largely inapproriate there wouldn't be forums like this, or legislation to protect disabled people from being discriminated against! :devil: I promise, though, if the scales tip the other way I'll be the first to admit it :)

I know extremely little about BB, but it is pretty hard to avoid all reference to it. That said, i don't need to know more than the basic premise to be able to make some fairly good guesses about the peeps who would want to be on it, and the strange, screeching blonde creature who came second was pretty hard to avoid for a while there (as was ms goody)...

Cat - as always, agree with huge amounts of what you say. I'm not annoyed by the kid being on it - AS or non-AS there are always gonna be kids on this kind of thing cos they crank up the mawk ratio, and if the kids wanna be on it that's fine by me. What i dislike is the mawkish, patronising, sloppy-sentimentality of it all, which is bad enough when it's any 8 year old poppet but particularly spew inducing when they add the disability as a little extra mawk flavoured cherry on the top. The little boy is lovely, and has an average singing voice, but if lovely and average is all it takes to win the show then where are all the other lovely, average contestents? he is through to the next round because they are patronising him. Patronising him is a very small step from pity, and pity an even smaller step from judgement and abuse.

His appeareance on this show won't make a blind bit of difference to how the general public there view autism... In all likelihood, most of the people watching (and that anti AS lobby you spoke about) are already saying "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, just think how much better he could be if he wasn't SN"

Thanks for posting the link.

I think it's brilliant, totally excellent. For any 9yr old to go out and sing on stage in front of cameras, judges and a large audience is pretty impressive but this kid was so composed and seemed very relaxed about it all. I didn't get the feeling that he was doing anything that he didn't feel comfortable with (try getting my ds to comply when he doesn't want to!) so I doubt very much that his parents are coercing him.

Although he seems pretty chilled about the attention, I just hope that, when the time comes, he'll be able to handle being voted off the show (don't think he will win!).

Hmmm... no, weighing up all the evidence I AM saying it as it is

I can only repeat - your opinion, not the Voice of God. A to D.

I know extremely little about BB

A bit like peeps who've seen Rainman know extremely little about autism :lol: I rest my case.

I'm bowing out now because I know you'll have to have the last word. :)

I can only repeat - your opinion, not the Voice of God. A to D.

A bit like peeps who've seen Rainman know extremely little about autism :lol: I rest my case.

I'm bowing out now because I know you'll have to have the last word. :)

And I can only repeat:

If the evidence wasn't as completely overwhelming that responses to disability are largely inapproriate there wouldn't be forums like this, or legislation to protect disabled people from being discriminated against! I promise, though, if the scales tip the other way I'll be the first to admit it

That's not God talking, or me assuming things on his behalf. It's The Court of Human rights and pages of legislation drawn up by people far cleverer than either of us (or both of us put together) out of perceived necessity... what's that River in Egypt again? ;)

Although he seems pretty chilled about the attention, I just hope that, when the time comes, he'll be able to handle being voted off the show (don't think he will win!).

According to my 20 year old son with AS who actually watches the show (I do not) said he was not chosen to go through to the next round. I do not think that he was actually vote off just not picked.

I wont say what my son actually said when he gave me the news - but it was on the lines of thank goodness for that. :rolleyes::whistle:

Cat