Suze

had my eyes opened.

Some of you may remember that I applied for a job at a residential school for autistic kids :thumbs: .Well on friday I had my interview.It went really well and although I was,nt offered the job , they asked me to become one of their bank staff, which I readily accepted :thumbs: .I really enjoyed having a look around the school and meeting the kids there..........but it was a huge education and really opened my eyes to an autism I had,nt met before.The pupils are between 12 and 16 yrs.Over 80% are non-verbal , most are not toileted and ...(I don,t like this term) ...low functioning.They will never live independently and it was obvious that most would remain in care all their lives.Because they are all becoming adults it seemed more poignant to me and sad .........they were all lovely kids really friendly and inquisitive.I did,nt know wether feeling sorry for them ...(which I did)... was wrong ............

............but the staff who work there were really amazing with them it was a really loving environment and I,m really looking forward to working there.

Many congratulations Suze!

I work in a residential special school with a very similar pupil base, but probably more complex medical needs.

Without doubt, my colleagues are amongst the most fantastic people I have ever met! :notworthy::thumbs: What is even nicer, is the fact that the majority of the staff are young people in their late teens and early twenties, which has definitely restored my faith in the nation's yoof! :lol:

Hope you enjoy your bank work, and I'm sure it will lead onto a permanent job :D

Bid :)

Edited by bid

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

Congratulations Suze. Being a member of the bank staff will help you to gradually learn more. It the start of new beginning.

I have worked with fabulous bank staff.

I hope you enjoy your new work environment.

Well done, Suze! It's not easy getting on bank staff/supply staff listings either, so they obviously liked what they heard from you. (Clever them!)

Thrilled to bits for you, who knows what this might lead to?

Congratulations!!

Esther x

That's very good news Suze and I'm really pleased for you. I think they should've given you the job, but what they've offered will probably lead to that eventually, and it will also be a nice way of getting to know the ropes without any major pressure. Hope you get a lot out of it as I know you'll put a lot into it. Very best of luck to you.

All the best

Flora >:D<<'>

Thankyou guys >:D<<'> .............you see this is why I like this forum so much >:D<<'> ..........your a lovely bunch and big hugs for the lovely messages.

I did,nt know wether feeling sorry for them ...(which I did)... was wrong ............

Been thinking about this part of your post, Suze...

Many of the teenagers I work with have the most profound difficulties (such as degenerative conditions resulting in tube-feeding, etc, or developmental disorders whereby their development stopped at around the 12 month mark).

It has helped me to see them as who they are, not who they might have been...don't know if that makes sense?

I don't think it's 'wrong' to feel sorry for them...your feelings will probably sort of equalise once you are working with them all the time. It's amazing what you don't notice after a while.

I think you will be really great at the job! >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I know your feeling a bit down about not getting the more permanant job but I have a feeling they have took you on as a bank/supply role for other reason, when ever J got a supply teacher his behaviour deteriated, main reasons for this was the change, maybe the boss saw that your skills in flexibilities, adaptabilities and aproachabilites are what he saw in you and in a way you have a far more challenging role because you have to work that bit harder to get them to trust and open up to you with you not been a permanant face there.

How I am seeing it is that they will have to try even harder to get the right bank staff, too, so though you have not got the more permanant one, you have a very challenging role to play, which they saw, and want you for this, just one way Im looking at it.

Good Luck, Im sure you will be fantastic and Im sure you will continue to learn in the world of other special needs children/young adults.

JsMum