Sign in to follow this  
Viper

No assessment.

Got the leter today and they have decided Ben will be fine at school. The reason given was "Ben does not meet the criteria for assessment." Basically what they are saying is he hasn't attended pre-school so they can't judge if he would make progress.

Ben has attended pre-school but couldn't cope with it so I stoped taking him. I also felt the staff were inadequate and in the report I got today the staff have said that when I left Ben on a few occasion he was fine and played happilly. What a load of tosh. When I collected him he was disstressed, crying and so relieved to see me, he said I am never going again. :wallbash:

They have also said in the report that when a special needs preschool advisor came to observe Ben "His mother said she didn't know any of the parents or their children" What has that got to do with anything? I don't know any of them because I don't associate with them, they are all in their twenties with their first or second child and I am nearly 40 and on my fourth child way past the "oohh look at what my little Jonny is doing now" stage, I have nothing in common with them and a child with "odd behaviour" who they just look at side ways with some degree of pity or maybe fear. If they had come to the play ground at 3 o'clock they would have seen me talking to parents of children my daughters age who I know.

All through the reports I have got today it implies I am to blame for his problems with social interaction as I have not done what they say I should do, ie abandon Ben in a pre-school with a bunch of woman who stand arround drinking tea and making comments about how stupid the children are when they cry ( yes I have seen it going on) and worrying what to have for lunch and who is going to get it.

One time while with Ben I had to take a broch off a boy who was stabbing the pin into a police helmet another boy was wearing, the broch was given to the children to play with along with several others for "dressing up" Quite honestly I feared for my childs safty.

I feel so angry, upset and downright disgusted at this decission, I could cry but I am too angry. I feel at the moment I just want revenge, I need to shout a people but don't know where to begin. How can they decide, after all the evidence from loads of professionals that there is not enough evidence, the very fact that he was unable to attend pre-school say's it all, and even though I have given my reason for his non attendance it is not mentioned once, I have told them on many many occasions the reason but my views don't seem to count, Oh thats right I'M JUST HIS MOTHER!!! :angry:

I'm off now to read about appealing.

Watch this space I might need advice.

Venom spitting Viper.

Viper.

I inow exactly where you are coming from. We had exactly the same sutuation with our 5 year old who is currently not attending school because he cannot cope for 2 hours a day in mainstream (with 1:1 support). The class teachers opinion: "is there anything wong with him? we think he's fine!". That is because he didn't cause them trouble. Meldowns at home, he didn't integrate, didn't learn anything, disn't speak to any other child or even know any of their names, but he didn't cause trouble.

Please hang in there. I know things are pretty bleak right now and I am not going to put any false positives into the sutuation.

There is hope though. What turned the situation around for us was the fact that we found out about an asessment unti for children who are having difficulties adapting to school. It is run as a joint venture beween the hospital schools service (LEA) and CAMHS. We were lucky enough to get a referral just before chrismas. Our son attended for three 2-hour sessions a week for 6 weeks and was asessed by a teacher, and EP and various others. That formed the basis for an asessment at the end of the process that completely contradicted what the school were saying, i.e. he had multiple, profound and serrious difficulties that require a special school environment with additional support.

This was sufficient for the LEA to disregard the schools contibution and agree to assess. The panel is at the beginning of June.

I have no idea what (if any) similar provison there is in your area. But do know Ben has a mother who will fight every inch of the way and will get there in the end.

Simon

Speaking as someone has just turned 40 and is on his fourth child, I know where you are coming from there too!

Hi Viper,

Get mad and sad today - then get your fighting clobber on. I think there are a number of us on here who got knocked back first time and it is gut wrenching but you have to keep going - and you will!

I think we have all been knocked back because of reports sent in by schools who can not and will not see the difficulties. This is a harder fight - it is the "well he looks and acts normal - it must be bad parenting - if he was mine I would just give him a good smack" Syndrome.

There is certain criteria for proceeding with a Statutory Assessment - never mind what the nursery says - and if Ben fits the criteria then the assessment should proceed. Nellie will know where to find this info in the Code of Practice - I should know - but I have lent all my COP stuff to a friend.

IPSEA and NAS may be able to give you some guidance.

Keep going and PM me if you get fed up.

Best wishes

HelenL

Viper so sorry this has happened . Try to relax today and then tomorrow get ready for the fight.

Why oh why do we all have to spend our lives trying to convince people who know nothing about our children- and who sometimes don't want to know- that they need help be it education or otherwise. This seems to be a problem here in ireland ,in the uk and all over from what I can gather is there nothing we can do to change this. Very Frustrated!! :wallbash::wallbash::angry::angry:

Theresa

Viper

I am so sorry, I can understand your anger, I?m pretty mad myself!!! :angry:

The system is so wrong. As you say there was lots of evidence, but these days the evidence they are looking for, is the school failing to meet the child?s needs. LEA?s have a legal duty to identify and meet the needs of a child with special educational needs, how can a school have the expertise to identify the needs of child with ASD!!??

Ask for a copy of your LEA?s criteria for statutory assessment. You may find it has unlawfully high barriers. It should not contain words and phrases just as:

Severe

Lifelong

where the child is four, five (or more) years behind in attainment.

where the child is 'within or below the lowest 2 per cent of ability level'.

Please ring IPSEA or the NAS, they will be able to give you support and advice. You must not give up, with support the fight will be much easier.

IPSEA

0800 0184016

Mon to Thu 10--4 and 7--9;

Fri 10--1 and 7?9

National Autistic Society (NAS)

0845 070 4002

NAS Education Advocacy including Tribunal Support Scheme

You can find details of the work IPSEA are doing regarding LEA lawbreaking here.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/lea-lawbreakingPR.htm

Take care

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Viper >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

You have every right to feel like this :angry: Get it out of your system then go get 'the' system!

Carole

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

After two and a half long years fighting for statutory assessment for my ASD ds., then going through the appeal process to come out with nothing except the headmistress's promise (with caveat) of "we will undertake to give him a bit extra 1:1 - as long as WE think he needs it. In other words, they'd decide on the way out of the appeal that he didn'e need it ... I digress....I took my ds out of the rotten system that was causing us all grief. I opted to HE. He's happier, the whole family now has a loving little lad at home instead of the screaming, lashing, incontinent, sleepless meltdown merchant we had while he was in the school. It works for us. I simply got sick of fighting, it only invited further persecution in our borough. I feel for you, I really do. Dont let them win. You know your child best.

I'm so sorry you keep hitting a brick wall like this, Viper. :angry: I don't have any experience of statementing (yet?) but wanted to wish you lots of luck in fighting this decision. :pray:

we've been to tribunal twice and to the ombudsman, if today's big meeting doesn't turn out well we go to tribunal again

tribunal number one:

assessment refused because he didn't meet LEA criteria, refused to accept late evidence (diagnosis) but backed down when we took the consultant to the tribunal so he could witness directly

They were breaking the law but we didn't challenge on this as they backed down

tribunal two:

refused parental preference on grounds that any local school could meet his needs - actually said that it would be against equal opportunities to treat any child differently in admissions (chair of tribunal was truly shocked)

breaking the law again

went to ombudsman on advice of parent partnership

LEA were forced to change admissions policy to comply with law but are still trying to circumvent it (I now work as an independent parental supporter and most cases are admissions or assessment)

today we go to discuss adjustments to behaviour policy with school - they are using the 'all children must be treated the same' argument again and refusing to make reasonable adjustments so that Com is not punished for AS related issues - breaking the law again!

zemanski

big meeting went well

Com doesn't have to go to registration (no more frightening form tutor)

is to be taken off full timetable (no more history (same teacher) geography or PE)

is to get cognitive behaviour therapy and anxiety management from the advisor

will have independent study time and support for homework

will get proper maths lessons

will do AS level maths - skipping GCSE as the exam requirements don't suit him

all staff will have AS specific training and this will include training on Com's particular needs and problems. It will also include a workshop on what it is actually like to be autistic and try to function in a school environment

LSAs will have additional training in how to manage Com's anxieties

there will be a monthly review meeting

So far Com has been told he doesn't have to go to registration and that he will be working with the advisor - that was enough to make him more relaxed than we've seen him in months tonight!

The head has to make arrangements with staff before he can be told about the rest.

They aren't going to adjust the behaviour policy but will set up things so that it should be avoided - we're OK with this so long as he isn't being sanctioned for AS behaviour/problems and taking him out of that teacher's classes means he isn't subject to his inflexibility any more

Apparently when the head spoke to the teacher he thought his relationship with Com was good - he was completely unaware of Com's fear and anxiety! - Com does mask a lot though

the relief is incredible

zemanski

Zemanski,

It sounds like you've achieved a lot today, well done. :thumbs: I hop the new arrangements start to make a difference to your son very soon, it sounds like they already have!

K

>:D<<'> Viper >:D<<'>

This is just awful...are you going to Tribunal to appeal?

When Auriel was 8 we were refused a Stat Ass, and I bitterly regret not going to appeal :(

Thinking of you,

Bidx