bid

Unclean, Unclean!!!

Well, it just had to happen, didn't it...

Big A has suspected Swine Flu, and I'm just off to collect the Tamiflu stuff!

Slightly disconcerting to receive home visit from GP wearing face mask...

Boho :rolleyes:

[On the plus side I'm not allowed into work for 5 days as I work with extremely vulnerable children]

Edited by bid

Hope he's ok, bid.

At the nursery where S works (attached to a primary school), a couple of kids have come down with it - and the head has refused to allow them to tell the parents of immune-compromised children! Beggars belief.

Hope he's ok, bid.

At the nursery where S works (attached to a primary school), a couple of kids have come down with it - and the head has refused to allow them to tell the parents of immune-compromised children! Beggars belief.

Official positions seem to vary...

My girlies at secondary school can still go in unless they become unwell, but I've just had to collect the youngest from his primary school. DH is OK to be in work.

One real concern is that because of his asthma, he's got a bad chest infection, so ABs and steroids as well for that. And the GP said that if we need to take him to hospital because of his asthma we have to phone ahead, and he has a neat face mask to wear! :o

Bid :wacko:

Hope he recovers soon - mostly it's very mild apparently.

S has been told he must take 2 weeks off work if any of his family gets it.

Also heard the other day that our MP has it!

K x

Hope he recovers soon - mostly it's very mild apparently.

S has been told he must take 2 weeks off work if any of his family gets it.

Also heard the other day that our MP has it!

K x

I expect he'll get his Tamiflu on expenses :lol:

Have you nailed a cross to your door and hung a cow-bell round his neck to alert the neighbours? :devil::ph34r:

Must say I did feel a tad furtive walking littlest back from school just now :ph34r:

As they're not testing anymore, but going straight to treating, I guess we'll never know for sure if he does actually have it or just the chest infection! But because he does have quite bad asthma I'm glad he's being given the anti-viral meds.

Off on mercy dash to get the meds and stock up on chicken soup!

Florence Nightingale :devil:

Edited by bid

I expect he'll get his Tamiflu on expenses :lol:

It's a she - and I wouldn't be surprised, she's good at claiming freebies. She's been in the news as one of the "second home" MP's. :wacko::rolleyes:

Argh, poor you , Bid!

Never rains but it pours, hey?

Hope he recovers swiftly, but forget the chicken soup. My Gran used to swear by beef tea at times like this (though my Dad insisted he used to swear at the beef tea when he was force fed the stuff!!)

Can't say the idea appeals! :sick:

Get well soon, A!

Esther x

There was someone on the radio this morning saying that this flu is different to others as it is the young that are getting it not the old and for most it is very mild all over in a few days. It would seem that older people may have some residual resistance from a flu that was around when they were young. Also they are having problems making the vaccine, it will be longer than hoped before there are sufficient doses to go round and they may have to prioritise who gets it.

This is the same strain of flu which caused the 1918 epidemic. You would have to be very old to have a residual resistance from 1918!

It does seem to be affecting most people quite mildly, more mildly than typical flu even. Hopefully he will be better soon!

it seems i might have had it a couple of weeks ago (based on the latest advice). i just had a really bad temp (102+) sore throat, aching bones and was really tired. i'm quite impressed since i have asthma and seem to have escaped completely unscathed. i went to the docs and told them i had tonsillitis, they looked at my throat, said 'no you dont, we dont know what it is' and sent me home without a mention of swine flu, so who knows. the temperature was certainly the worst bit, have never felt so hot and cold and horrible all at once.

Well my own DS was unwell for about 10 days, his sister (she of the 38.5 degree temperature) just 3 days. Fingers crossed that the rest of you escape.

Stats are 1 in 3 to have it, there are 6 of us... if I say we're done that'll be sure to be proven wrong.

Well my own DS was unwell for about 10 days, his sister (she of the 38.5 degree temperature) just 3 days. Fingers crossed that the rest of you escape.

Stats are 1 in 3 to have it, there are 6 of us... if I say we're done that'll be sure to be proven wrong.

Ouch... there's only two of us, so :pray:

I'm really worried, because we both have funny immune systems - I get any sort of virus and it makes straight for my breathy bits, while Ben's immune system just tries to beat the ###### out of whatever is attacking it in a single night, with terrifying temperatures and stuff :tearful:

Very best to all who have had, have or are gonna have this, and hope it's the 'mild' version in every case. As for the face masks - we can all pretend it's in honour of 'wacko'... do they do black, sparkly surgical gloves? :unsure:

BD, hope you and Ben are the 2 in 3 who don't get it! :pray:

If it was winter we'd all be sniffling away and probably take illness for granted- because it's the middle of summer we're more aware of the virus. And the media aren't helping with their daily updates, in my opinion.

Wishing good health to everyone over the summer hols, >:D<<'>

K x

Well, it just had to happen, didn't it...

Big A has suspected Swine Flu, and I'm just off to collect the Tamiflu stuff!

Slightly disconcerting to receive home visit from GP wearing face mask...

Boho :rolleyes:

[On the plus side I'm not allowed into work for 5 days as I work with extremely vulnerable children]

Oh Bid...I'm so sorry for you... >:D<<'>

And to top it all, 5 days off but having to play nursey!!! :blink:

By the way, Beef tea's delish. Used to make it for my Dad when he was poorly. :wub:

I think the real concern is the knock-on effect if you have anything like asthma :(

That's why A has a very nasty chest infection which in turn then compromises his asthma...hence the steroids. If he ended up in hospital it would be because of this.

I'm sure if you don't have any other health problems it's most likely no real danger, but if you have anything like asthma it is a very real worry...and three of mine have asthma :(

Thanks for the good wishes all >:D<<'>

Bid :)

I have had a sore throat since Monday and I feel a bit rough. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into swine flu because it won't look good if I go sick in my new job so early on! I think I would have got other symptoms by now if it was going to be flu and I'd had it since Monday. I normally feel a bit rough when I get a throat infection - not that it happens that often, but I have recently moved to a new area so I would be prone to bugs and things . . . am I just kidding myself or did everyone else's swine flu start with a sore throat?

mine started and ended with it, i still have it lingering and its been nearly 3 weeks! but i think unless your temperature goes up into the 'human radiator' zone (38+) you're probably fine.

I'm a bit confused, yes all right. Back when this swine flue thing was first being talked about I, yes me, was ill for about a week started of with a sore throat like I never had before along with a high temperature which lasted for about 3 days, The sort where you are roasting hot but feel freezing cold. I would have go to the doctors but was to ill to get out of bed. It was while I was on some rest days so didn't have to go to work so didn't have to take time off. :( I went back to work before I was over it but as my job then was just sitting in the office all night doing as much or as little as I liked I got by. Was it swine flu?? It was well over a week before I was back to normal which for me is unusual. Taking over a week that is, not me being 'normal'.

Edited by chris54

Swine Flu does seem to be milder and last a shorter time than typical flu. WHat you had definitely sounds like flu, rather than just a bad cold, and there are no other types of flu going around at the moment. Sounds like you might have had it Chris!

Had a letter from school today basically saying if and when swine flu arrives, school will carry on as usual. This is now the official government position.

Hope that everyone gets better soon! Flu of any kind is horrible to have.

My son's latest end of term newsletter contains a detailed description, with pictures, of how to wash your hands. :unsure:

K x

I think I've only actually had proper flu a couple of times in my life and it was pretty unpleasant but, hey, I'm still here.

I don't think we've had any cases in our tiny corner of the world which is probably a good thing because if you need to go to hospital in a hurry they don't send an ambulance they send a helicopter.

Swine flu seems (for most people) a pretty mild dose of the variety that usually kills quite a few people each winter. I have problems with my kidneys so I get given the flu vaccine automatically each autumn - I expect I'll be on the list to receive the new one, too.

Anyhow, I hope it isn't too rough on you if you do have it. Remember to keep your fluids up and accept all offers of bacon sandwiches.

My son's latest end of term newsletter contains a detailed description, with pictures, of how to wash your hands. :unsure:

K x

We had posters like this on the backs of the toilet doors in the supermarket where I used to work. It used to tell you how many seconds to spend on each part as well!

We had posters like this on the backs of the toilet doors in the supermarket where I used to work. It used to tell you how many seconds to spend on each part as well!

The things you see on the back of toilet doors. :whistle:

its a pretty sorry view but... the only reason such a fuss is being made is because the people dying are young. a large number of elderly die each year from the 'normal' flu, but the media has no interest in that :(

will be interesting who is allowed the vaccine first - the elderly seem to be far more resistant to swine flu, so logic would place them last on the list for a vaccine, but since they usually get a flu vaccine each year i dont think that idea would be popular. i normally get a flu jab because of asthma, but since i think i've already had swine flu i'm not sure i'll need one this time.

my fathers come home with a sore throat tonight after one of the boys on his school run was confirmed as having swine flu, he's convinced he's got it too but his temperature is fine so i'm telling him no.

Well, all those who think it's a fuss about nothing can swap with me :P:lol: 'cos it looks as though DD#1 may be going down with it too...and she was in A&E before Christmas with her asthma :( :(

Boho :wacko:

Edited by bid

Very sorry to hear that bid, hope that DD makes a fast recovery! Maybe they give her Tamiflu or Relenza they are meant to help.

Y'know, my brother had to pass a handwashing exam when he was training to be a nurse. I laughed my socks off, but on reflection it's essential I suppose.

Hi all.

An update for anyone thinking there is a fuss about nothing. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

J developed swine flu symptoms two weeks ago today.He was prescribed tamiflu.He is better than he was but is still coughing and washed out.

I developed symptoms last Tuesday.I was not prescribed Tamiflu because the PCT decided only to offer to at risk groups.I have been pretty poorly.Chesty and feeling exhausted.

Ben developed a sore throat and a runny nose last week.School do not want him to be in school because he could have swine flu.CAMHS said he should be at school and I was being unfair in not enabling Ben to attend the leavers do for primary school or his last week at school. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I spent most of yesterday negotiating between CAMHS and school whilst I should have been in bed.

My other half works in the NHS.He has continued at work despite having a cough.He has not had a half-hour off in parental leave to support me.His trust obviously do not have rules regarding leave for family members in contact with those with swine flu.

I do not know how we managed to end up living in the swine flu hot spot for the world. [Tower Hamlets]. :whistle::whistle:

Don't mind me.I have now been stuck in the house for two weeks apart for emergency trips.It is getting tedious.On the positive side at least we must have had it by now or be immune..

I found out today that schools may not re-open in flu hot-spots as planned in September.If opening is delayed for a month J will have had a three month break.Karen.

Good to see you Karen and sorry to hear you J and Ben have been ill. >:D<<'> Hope once you're over it you can enjoy the rest of the holidays.

My other half also works in the NHS as you know. If any of us get it, he has to take 2 weeks off apparently, whether he has symptoms or not.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Good to see you Karen and sorry to hear you J and Ben have been ill. >:D<<'> Hope once you're over it you can enjoy the rest of the holidays.

My other half also works in the NHS as you know. If any of us get it, he has to take 2 weeks off apparently, whether he has symptoms or not.

K x

>:D<<'> Two weeks for other half at this point would have been wonderful.Holiday starts a week on Saturday. :whistle::whistle:

I am hoping he gets a bit of flu and a temperature some time soon.....enough to be off work but I don't want to wish him too poorly. :devil::lol:

Karen.

well round two for us... my mother now seems to have it. just hoping the little one doesn't get it because she's not very healthy and as she's only 3 it could go very bad.

heya. i have been diagnosed with swine flu last thursday, i mean im a healthy person but Last wednesday i went home feeling ill i didnt seem my normal self and the next day my symptoms were developing more. I went on computer and went on NHS direct flu checker and i checked it 3 times and it definetly came up positive for swine flu. It wasnt until i found out that my friend said a member from day service had swine flu a week before and then the week after he turned up at day service and gave it to me.

I phoned my gp saying i went home feeling ill from day service and that my friend said member at day service had swine flu and it was quite possible he passed it to me and that i took nhs direct symptom checker so on phone i told her every symptom and she diagnosed me with swine flu. She advised that i was to to take tamiflu pills she said can someone without swine flu go and get the pills so i said mum and that i wasnt allowed to go out the house until every symptom had gone. Mum had to go and show her id too whilst collecting them.

Every day i been drinking plenty of water and plenty of sleep and have soup, and when wake up in morning for tamiflu that i drink orange juice for vitamins.

My symptoms seem to get worse yesterday my joints were playing up badly every where and now today my joints feel even more in pain and find it hard to move around, my little cough got into a nasty big one, still feeling hot and cold, still sneezing and tummy.

But to be honest don't you think the media are hyped up with all this case, they try to shock us i mean mild case's arent really serious because like im not dying am i. They just try to frighten us and really its just like normal flu so there isnt really any frighten to have it. I mean they tell me not to go out the house when they know any one can catch it any way so is there really any point i know i wouldnt go out the house if im ill any way. It just makes me depressed not being able to go out alls im doing is sleeping a lot and reading twilight book and occasionally on computer for a little while when i need fresh air how can people survive being in home?

Edited by Ihave_unique-autism

Well, looks like I'm the latest. I fit the criteria & have my own unique number for Tamiflu, which mr p will collect tonight. So far, its not so bad though - I'm pottering between sleeps.

I blame the Queen :ph34r:

I blame the Queen :ph34r:

She might be blaming you :ph34r:

Hope you feel better soon Pearl >:D<<'> .

And you too, special talent123.

K x