Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Are kids with AS more likely to follow a different religion from that of their parents compared with NT kids?

It is probably safe to say that most people, regardless of what country they live in, follow the same religion their parents and family follows, or the most common and dominating religion of the country they live in. This is the result of the natural desire most people have to fit in and assimilate rather than go in their own direction. People with AS tend to be questioning types and are more likely to question the norm or the culture of a society or their family that most NT people accept as the way things are.

Now, are kids with AS more likely to follow a different religion from that of their parents compared with NT kids?

Remember that kids are exposed to a variety of different religions in RE lessons at school and may have classmates who follow a variety of religions. Therefore, a greater potential exists for ANY kid to choose a religion different from that of their parents compared with the days when schools only taught Christianity.

Hi

That is a tough question, I think all children or young adults will go through a patch of questioning their religious beliefs.I was raised a catholic and all four of my boys are baptised as catholics I never questioned my faith but now although I believe in God I dont feel the need to go to church I want my kids to be part of the church community but if I feel this why surely its contradicting for me to take them to church.I remember when my eldest was four he announced he wants to be vegeterian it was a shock as nobody in either mine or my husbands family are vegeterians, he up till now wont eat red meat, he only eats chicken once a week and lives on fruit and veg,I wont force him to eat something he clearly does not enjoy.I think if children are able to express that they dont want to go to a place of worship we should respect it (if they can give a clear argument why because if not it just means they are not muture enough to make such a decision) by forcing them to go they will only rebel.But you havent really said the age of the child so I think that would depend. If a 7 year old doesnt want to go to school we cant just say okay thats fine (even though it is compulsory to go to school but not compulsory to have a religion) I think it is very hard because I suppose as parents we do want our kids to follow what we were raised to follow but they do have to make their own decisions.I couldnt say wether or not AS kids argue of this more so than non AS kids I think personaaly it depends on the childs character.

I can't give any evidence either way, but I do know that DS was only 5 when he announced loudly and clearly, as he walked in to church as part of his daily (very Christian) school curriculum, that "I don't have to do this any more because I don't believe in God", and promptly turned round & walked out LOL

I don't think the school ever quite got over it.....

This is the result of the natural desire most people have to fit in and assimilate rather than go in their own direction.

i think thats a pretty insulting way to view peoples religion. i dont go to church because i want to fit in and actually it is now far more 'normal' to not follow a religion than to. for people that do it is about things far deeper and more meaningful than social pressure. its also very common for people to change denomination from that of their parents to something that suits them better personally.

if you're refering to choosing atheism rather than continuing to pursue a religion then i doubt there is any more liklihood of an AS child rejecting religion than there is of any other child as most children question all aspects of their upbringing at one time or another, religion included.

I think it depends if they can get their minds around a unseen God. and things happening by magic,instead of as a natural phenonomum.Maybe some will follow their parents and family,but i can say my P we take him to church,and might remeber some bible names,but i don't know if he can associate them with everyday life. The langage of religious teaching in it self is very hard to understand and he switches off in most parts, he likes the singing because he likes singing and will do the praying actions,but i don't think he really understands what its all about,then i suppose standard children don't really either. I read that book the case of the black dog and the writer describing his confusion of what the vicar says that when we die we go to heaven and he is imagining that there are a lot of coffins going off into space,as space is the heavens.

I don't think people with AS are any more likely that NTs to question their parents' religion.

In my case, I have the same religion as my parents.

I have a different religion to my parents mostly because my parents aren't religious in any way. They are pretty secular in most things and have xmas and stuff but not really the religious side of it. I think growing up in a household like that worked out pretty well for me because it gave me the opportunity to question things and make up my own mind about religion.

I am a staunch atheist and also anti politics, anti monarchy and anti war..................my son age 10 is extremely religious(it literally is his life) and is a baptized English baptist and wants to join army cadets age 12 n join the army age 16.....but as to whether thats cos he has an some form of autism I dont thinks so tbh cos my nephew is n/t n his parents are Jehovah Witnesses but he at age 7 adamantly wants to leave n dont believe any of it.

I don't know!

Both my parent were catholic and I remember as a child they went to church every Sunday, as catholics had to do in them days. I cant say that they were in the slightest bit religious it was just out of a sense of duty.

As a young child in primary school, a catholic school we were taught that god was watching us, the old hell fire and damnation thing.

I finally stopped going to church at about the age of 13.

It was not a lot after this that my parent also stopped and then that was about it for my dad, my mum hung on went to the odd C of E survives, but now doesn't even do that.

Having thrown off, over the years, the indoctrination of my childhood, I now release (and here I expect some disagreement) that religion, the concept of there being a god, is just human need to find a reason, a purpose, and the inability to just accept the fact that we are here because of a random set of event that led to the creation of every thing we know.

Now to make life confusing for my son, my wife does not share my beliefs.(Or you could say non belief)

She occasionally goes to church services. In our house we talk about the historical aspect of religion but not to much about the theological aspect of it, as we just agree to disagree.

My son goes to a C of E school, the local primary school, and they have religious services and he talks about God as if he is a person, like the queen or the prime minister, only with less power.

Back to the original question, I don't really think AS would make a lot of difference to someones thinking.

Edited by chris54

Dunno about kids, but I studied a lot of supernatural beliefs as a teenager and dismissed them all on account of them being clearly invented by man (I honestly can't see how anyone could come to any other conclusion after examining religion with a logical, critical mind). My mum kind of believes in god, but I don't think she's sure why--just playing it safe I guess ;)

Phew, that's a pretty sweeping dismissal of all religious faith, Lord Gorse. :rolleyes: I like to think I have a logical critical mind and I still believe in God. :)

However, I'm not here to proselytise so to answer the question the OP asked - I don't think AS should make any difference. Both my children, one AS and one so called NT, went to church (C of E) with us when they were younger and enjoyed some aspects of it. My daughter stopped going at about 13 and declared herself an agnostic. My son stopped going at the age of 11 and says he's an atheist. They make the occasional appearance at Christmas services and sometimes join in church social things but that's all.

I think many children go through a phase when they will will rebel against their parents' lifestyle and habits, whatever they are. I think rebellion is healthy. All children, however they are brought up, have to choose for themselves what they will believe and what principles they will live by. Both my children are independent and intelligent thinkers who question everything they are told and fiercely debate everything. They can be exasperating but I'm proud of them. Who was it who said "the unexamined life is not worth living." ?

K x

I went to a C of Wales school but brought up by two non religious parents. My husband was a devout catholic until his uni days. My mum in law goes to church every week without fail and will not miss mass. My two have attended church on an ad hoc basis. I have tried to allow them to make their own minds up. My daughter attends a Cof e school. She declared at age 6 that she had decided that the bible was made up and could not fit in with the existence of dinosaurs. She had done her own research. She has had arguments with teachers. She has Aspergers. She does however enjoy the experience of going to church. I know that we as parents were shocked with her very strong views at age 6 and her teachers certainly found it hard. With time she can now be a bit more subtle but her views remain the same.

I am the only one in my family who identifies as pagan, the rest are roman catholic and church of england, none being church goers, but it is what they describe themselves as if asked. Me, I realised long ago, what is written was written by man, fair enough, the word of god, but who says they understood the meaning, and even may have interjected their own beliefs into whatever it was they were translating. I also see organised religion as dangerous, as it can remove individual thought and guide someone against something they would not do normally. With pagan, I am free to seek out and examine whatever takes my interest and though I do not seek anymore, I am open to wise words from any belief system and believe the truth we are all seeking is in actual fact, scattered amongst the world's people, all the different beliefs, it is in there somewhere, but it takes people to come together and discuss with an open mind rather than destroy because of difference. Are we that advanced yet I wonder, maybe, maybe not, but it starts with an open mind.

I got called a heretic by my RC priest at age 11, and told what in the past happened to heretics, just because when asked, I gave my interpretation of what god was. When I was young, the supposed words of god, what happened to unbelievers and wrong doers, I believed would happen, and the church was like a police out to catch the unbelievers and punish them. Relgion used to scare me, until a teen where some inkling of rebellion took hold and I decided if I am to die, then I will for what I believe and it is not something I cannot test and prove and am told to believe in.

Generally, I only believe in what I can experience, by the normal senses, but there also exists the question which as of yet cannot be answered by any modern means, but the question exists, so until the question has an answer, I keep an open mind. If I am asked, I am pagan, as pagan in present terms describes seekers who seek outside of judeo christian belief structure. A near death experience some years ago made me think more following an experience in that state, I later asked of the various religious leaders, no one could answer. as that answer I was told was for me to find out. I was particularly perturbed by the words from a christian priest, who only mentioned mental health, something which made me wonder, why is he a priest.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Hi

I became a Zen Buddhist, in an attempt to understand myself and my role in this world. My family are C of E although its probably more of a social thing than for any real belief. The Dalai Lama says that you should look closely at the reasons for not following the religion of your culture. For me I didnt like being preached at, I didnt have a good enough Christian teacher and I couldnt believe all the necessary stuff to be a Christian. Also perhaps I'm not just any good at joining groups. I'm a bit of an outsider in my own group... if thats possible!!!

Being a Zen Buddhist means I dont have to believe anything other than my own experiences although funnily enough it has taught me to respect other peoples beliefs and I'm much more open and accepting than I was.

I think Aspies have a natural affinity for spirituality similiar to their connections with animals, but this affinity doesnt always fit in to religions. Spirituality is beyond thinking, logic and religion. Hows that for a statement!

So yes your AS children could be more inclined to follow another religion, although probably not through what they learn at school, which in my experience is not well taught and rather boring. (Sorry I love sweeping statements) http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/style_im...icons/icon4.gif

I from time to time scratch on the edges of Buddhism, I recognise the words as useful words and truthful words, but I resist being absorbed into the thing, because I know my ways, and my ways if I allow myself to become absorbed, I become obsessional, so on the subject of spirituality, yes, I am spiritual in my own way, but not in any recognised form, which is a label to which an identity can be held and an oppinion formed, I resist labels.