Sign in to follow this  
sel

Weird obsessions

Hi, :)

My son has ADHD and AS and he has suddenly developed this new obsession!. This is carrying small toys around with him in his pockets, these are any small toys that he favours on that day. He gets upset if he hasn't any toys with him. This is becoming a little bit of a problem at school. As he is in the juniors they don't take too kindly to him bringing in toys with him!.

I also have to watch him in doctors, dentist, hospitals etc as he swipes their toys too!

The other problem is i keep washing them in the washing machine!. :wacko:

He also has too have a bed full of toys also. How he can sleep with 20 small figures and toy cars etc etc in his bed i'll never know.

The amount of times he has come into my bed after a bad dream bringing handfulls of toys with him. (Not fun to end up with an action man up your backside i can tell you!!!.) :lol:

Does anyone else have this problem? ( not action man ones!!) :unsure:

take care.

sel.

Better for his teeth than B's obsession with sweets in bed. being going for about 5 years but got worse recently. She stashes the wrappers under her bed. We think we've got it more under control at the moment (no wrappers hidden in room) and the counsellor agrees it a comfort/control thing which has replaced the trashing of her bedroom. saying that my sister was pretty sure she snaffled some at her house the other day so better do a check tomorrow.

trying to replace the need to eat at might with bedtime cuddle for 10 mins. B is nearly 11 so we have told her to come to us when she feels the urge and she seems to understand this.

B doesn't have 1 obsession she moves from one to another and then another but when intersted in something becomes very fixated.

Jo

Youngest son carries round stones with him. Try handing him his coat and you'd think he had bricklaying at school that morning! And yes, I do have the washing machine man coming on wednesday to find out why said machine has an ominous grinding noise coming from it right now.

Methinks youngest son will be a geologist.

And what did eldest AS son bring back for younger son from the Yr6 trip? Well, having spent all his money on souvenirs for himself (sigh) he brought his brother back... a stone! :huh: Youngest son didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's a start, we supposed.

Valiant_Skylark xx

Hi,

TOYS IN THE BED.. I am surprised my daughter doesn't hurt herself, She goes to bed with 1 book and 1 cuddly toy, by the time i check her when i go to bed it is absoluely full to bursting with toys, and tissues, shredded into tiny pieces, she even made a mobile the other night out of coat hangers from the wardrobe, she is on the bottom bunk and she hung them all from the top bunk.. it was brilliant actually, I felt awfull quietly taking it down but i didn't want her to strangle herself in her sleep............I wish I had taken a picture of it now!!!!

I am also finding pocket fulls of stones and leaves and little bits like that..

Sharon.

:D:D:D

Hi,

Kai stashes things all round the house and in his bed too.

He's got two boxes where he keeps his "treasure", which is sweet wrappers, yogurt lids (yuk!), stones, feathers and rubber bands.

He collects "treasure" from the street and takes it home to hoard.

When he was at school, he put his yogurt pots in his drawer every day. His teacher showed me at the end of term and the smell was foul! He wouldn't part with them!

Recently i decided to empty the wrappers from the box as it was getting a bit stinky from the yogurt lids :sick: . Boy, was i in trouble after that!

I've since removed the boxes to the shed. He can stash what he likes then!

He also does the tissue shredding in bed like sharonv's daughter!

I don't mind the hoarding, but the endless pocket searches when i'm loading the machine gets a bit annoying!

Loulou x

My 15 year old likes ...used batteries! I don't know why. She asks me to replace the ones in her CD player, but won't let me throw the old ones away. She takes them up to her room and hoards them. I keep coming across them when i'm looking for spare batteries..

My 5 year old likes skin - especially if it's inside some one elses clothes - he can't see the problem with it as he says it feels nice (and couldn't possible see that anyone would object)

He also has a liking for any rubbish, and often coerces his teachers into giving him wrappers etc on the prtence of making a junk model. If he had his way the junk model would be the size of London by now! We compromise by allowing enough pieces to cover the top of the fridge in one layer, and insist that it has to be clean.

He also changes his interests often, but the liking for skin remains constant...

My H who is 6 also loves toys in his bed his night time ritual involves setting all his favorites out - mainly lego and any new ones, how he sleeps i don't know- well i do he often ends up with me, I remove the toy from my bed when he is asleep!

My other son who is 3 and NT (we think!) also loves skin and stoking it which can be quite embarasing, now we have managed to confine it just to me and mainly just in our own home but have the occasional relapse!

:lol: Hi all,

Just thought I'd add this....My Dan's 10 now and still has different obsessions but a big one I remember was.......

At the age of 3 for a year, he had to carry a coat hanger!? I'd put him in the car but always had to have his coat hanger with him :wacko: This would be twizzled round from one hand to the other and we just could not understand why?! It dawned on me 6 months into this that ...he used it as a steering wheel, he used to make noises of an indicater on a car then blink one eye if he went left then the other eye to go right! Clever really but took some working out!!!!

We used to get some looks of people, but hey, nothings new, at least I have an explanation for his little "oddities" ;)

Best Wishes

Rach x

Hi

I can't help but :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Though it is just as bad at our house. Toys in the bed. His favourite car/vehicle of the day. Sometimes if it has been a BOB day scoop, muck and crew will be in there. He usually wants all of them but we have limited it to 3 because his toddler bed is to small for the whole team. The more pointed bits the better seems to be the rule. I have even found him spark out oblivious to the fact that he is lying on a hard metal/plastic vehicle.

Favourite past time currently is covering a set of Bob and crew minatures with play dough or getting scoop and muck to 'dig it'. Kepp finding tiny bits of play dough all over the carpet. I mistook a pea for a piece of play dough yesterday when Muck wanted to be green! :sick:

Hiya,

Robyn 9, has always been a hoarder, she has an obsession with carrier bags!!! she fills them up with eveything from toys,food,ornaments and the latest one is scented candles. If you cant find anything you ask Robyn and she will go and get it from one of her many carrier bags. After a scour of her bedroom I found handbags, shoes and a bedroom lamp, none of them were ours she had taken them from many of our neighbours houses.

The latest one is stones they are in the carrier bags, school bags,lunch boxes, pockets, jewellery boxes etc. She said they her 'lucky,lucky,lucky stones' I asked why they were lucky she said ;coz they lucky,lucky,luck nice'. She piles them on the floor and tells you why each one is so special. (after the 10th story it can get quite boring, but she cud go on forever). She had a glass stone and she said this was her favourite, I thought she would say because it was shiny etc. But no she said ' If you place it over a word it magnifies'!!!! :blink:

The other obsession she has had since a baby. ICE if we go out say to mcdonalds her sister will have a meal Robyn will ask for a cup of ice. She is often in the freezer scraping the ice off with her teeth. She once got her tongue stuck!!!! I had

to pour warm water over it to release her. She licks the freezers in the Asda. The psychiatrist reckons this is a comfort thing for her as she has sensory

problems she does not feel the coldness like we would she just feels the melting of the ice and it must feel really good to her.

Put it this way I spend a fortune on lolly ices and ice pops. :)

Kerry

oh yes toys in the bed-when it got to over a dozen we hung a toy chain by the bed and only allowed Stitch in the bed(his alter ego!).unfortunately the chain is now overcrowed with two to a peg and the bed is fully occupied again as well.Every morning Stitch has to come downstairs and spend the day sitting on the sofa-he gets lonely upstairs.At the weekend foxy also comes down and in the holidays we get a different an extra one each day to give them a treat! Matt is 10.The funny thing is his big sister(23)has the same going on in her room with the toy chain and the toys in bed.Well when we found out he had Aspergers it made a lot of things about her make sense.

Hi Sel... :D

My son likes to put his toys at the bottom of the bed in order like Actionman comics, figures etc and im not allowed to move them when making up his bed... :wacko: He likes to put the quilt over him with toys underneath him and pretend hes sleeping but really hes still playing... :wallbash: He takes toys to school such as Action figures, toy cars (especially Mini coopers) and comics. They do allow these but only at playtime and if his behaviour is bad they leave them there until hometime. He's now 9 but going to try and stop him taking them as I need him to mature a bit and go to school to learn but im not going to push him. He's gone to bed before in which ive said this before with a hat on, shin pads on his arms, with a stick going through the 1 shin pad and go to sleep like that..... :wacko::wacko: Sorry if i was talking about Action toys but thats his obsession or the XBOX.

take care

Amanda

my son likes to take things to bed too especially anything with bold letters on like ambrosia rice or custard or dairylea then in the morning he carries it around with him. Imagine my horror when he took to an empty can of fosters beer ! the neighbours now will have proof that I really am a bad mother :lol::lol:

I just came to post about my sons new "thing" and faye got there first. My son has started collecting leaves. he also collects pine cones and pebbles of all shapes and sizes, and when I say sizes, boy do we have some whoppers laying around, he even picked some up at the garden centre, you try telling him you have to pay for them :lol:

Viper.

Collecting things can be hazardous, my washing machine doesn't like pine cones, conkers and stones when I forget to check pockets :rolleyes: My friend has a farm and she suggested we went there for conkers, came back with 3 sacks full but she didn't warn me was cow field, was full of cow poo :unsure: and great big scary cows, oh and a barbed wire fence they thought was funny watching Mam try to climb over :oops:

My sons main obsession has been sealife for many years, the world revolves round it :unsure:

He's always took things to bed, currently gameboy most important, but bought him a little set of pouches which hangs on bed for them, could use a gym bag ?? just as an idea where to put them as I know what its like having a child with an imprint of a toy next morning as they have slept on it, or god forbid if they loose it in bed.

School teacher said she is suprised his pockets don't burst amount of things he carries.

Edited by lil_me

My daughters biggest obsession is mirrors, if I had all my walls covered in mirrors it would be heaven for her. She just adores them, does everything in front of her reflection! She also loves music videos and dancing and will memorise dances from videos and practice them in front of the mirror!

One of my sons was obsessed with diamond shapes and clocks. We once went somewhere that had a diamond shaped clock and he thought he'd gone to heaven! He talked about it and drew pictures of it for months afterwards.

His latest obsessions is guns and now he can read he knows every single thing about guns, their history, and the legal position! Last month is was 'extreme weather' and he became an expert on cyclones and lightening etc.

I just love this part of ASD... (except the constant need to talk about these obsessions..... endlessly!!!).

Lauren

Nick is obsessed with his toys too, mainly small soldier and figures and marbles...I have those things all over the place. He takes them wherever he goes and then forgets them and I have them in the whole house...he also loves torches. He wont sleep without light....big problem last weekend during camping as hubby refused the light on...bad dreams and screams both nights. I am not too bothered anymore because I am used to rush out of bed at night.

He also has one cuddly toy, a cat which is his favorite...she goes wherever we go and he also dreams of her (recent dream of her being hurt by another real cat and bleeding...I ask myself how he comes to that....????)

little people - pirates / soldiers / train drivers etc.

J has always been fascinated with big sisters dolls house - we find the little people everywhere. (Never in the dolls house!) (And they dont look good after the washing machine either...)

Bought him a lovely brio train set for Xmas one year - he spent the whole time getting the little driver in and out of the train.

Now started to foster this in role play - James is all the superheroes rolled into 1. Has big problems coming out of character. :ninja:

Went through a huge 'green' phase once too.......

Lesley

C has a thing about little people too, she carries them around with her, sometimes she has so many she can't keep hold of them all but she won't let one go! I bought her some Playmobil just for the figures, but she plays with the tiny flowers instead lol!

My son has a thing about opening and closing doors. Also he loves phones, either play or real ones. And light switches. He also carries the "Little People" people around with him - he will go off happily to nursery and 7 hours later come home, still with his "man" in his hand LOL, blimey I can't even keep track of my handbag for that long, let alone something 2 inches tall!

I've told Mum that I have been using a forum for Asperger's and ASD's and I asked her if I ever had any obsessions as a child and her reply was "it might be better if you had asked "did I ever not have any obsessions as a child" because you seemed to go from one thing to another."

She told me that by far my worst was holding onto faeces, ie not going to the toilet, for fear that my stomach would fall out. I can actually remember this, it began with me wearing underpants in the bath in case my waste fell out and floated in the water. This progressed to holding onto toilet for sometimes days and Mum having to sit with me in the toilet (brave woman!) while I struggled to go. Because I'd held on so long, I had blockage!

I think it's safe to say, I've always had weird obsessions.

Edited by ~Jonathan~

the action man comment is just begging for an answer but i know its a family forum lol.

anyhow, my son has a bed full of cuddly toys, theyre everywhere.

he takes either a set of star wars cards, a star wars mag or a figure out with him wherever he goes. he is 12.

the times he has lost them are countless, but he feels a bit more secure with them i think, he still puts a mag in his school bag every :shame: morning. lol

We are trying to vary which book my son takes to school after a comment from the little girl who tends to be his shoulder to cry on when he is upset, she said 'Oh no, not that book again' at the one he'd taken for 3 months bless her she must have been sick of him showing her it :oops:

Edited by lil_me

Hello

My little boy loves feet and socks. For a while, when people came to the house, he would touch their feet!................. He also loves socks.

He has now moved onto hoovers and this is his heaven at the moment

Elaine

My little boy loves feet and socks. For a while, when people came to the house, he would touch their feet

Mine loves feet too, and is always smelling other people's as well as his own. He even licked his swimming coach's feet as she walked alongside the pool a couple of weeks ago. Full marks to her for not being grossed out by it.

Karen

x

OOooh that reminded me!

J loves the feel of skin - any skin.

When he was younger (18 months) we had to go to my gran's funeral - not as sad as it sounds - she'd suffered from altzeimer's for 10 years & for many of the family it was a relief for us & her.

Afterwards the wake was at my uncles house & a rare opportunity to meet all the old aunties who were still with us (my dad's aunties)

They were all sat round the sofas in the living room having a cup of tea when my dear little J methodically went round exploring up the old ladies skirts - he had discovered that there was skin at the top of their knee highs!

I was sooooo embarrassed!!!!

L

xxx