Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Sunday Times Today

I will keep my eyes peeled for any more articles and will post the links up. If anyone spots any could they do the same. From my research point of view this has brought the issue to the fore (no bad thing anyway IMO), but it is providing some very good secondary source material for me to use in my dissertation.

As for Warnocks new phamplet if anyone can find here I can get a copy I'd be very grateful as so far I have been unable to track it down. It does seem to be out there somewhwere - I just can't find where!

If Warnock does nothing else with this but raise the problems faced by funding of SEN provision in both mainstream and special schools then she may have done a great deal of good.

Hi Phasmid

The Pamphlet is to be published later this month by the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain.

I haven't heard of them and will now go and look for a website

Best Wishes

HelenL

There is a link to the PES on the BBC news page where they first broke the story. They don't have any publication date shown on there that I could find.

Thanks Carole, as we are home educating our son due to his inability to cope in mainstream, we are going to start making a file of these reports in case we ever need them.

Denise 2 :)

Thanks for the Carole. It was the biggest newspaper spread on SEN so far wasn't it : B)

Something else that I have felt has been sadly a disadvantage, is having a child with Asperger's who is highly intellegent/gifted. People just do not understand that because a person is academically ok, it doesn't mean that they cannot have special needs.

Annie

I've just had a real rant about the special needs system on the bbc site too.

I was really upset to hear that Luke Jackson was having such a bad time and has now had to leave school. I've seen the documentary about the Jackson family and read both Luke's "Freaks, Geeks..." book and Jacqui's "Multicoloured Mayhem". Luke really reminds me of my son. Jacqui has battled so hard for her children that I feel if she can't make the system work for Luke with all her determination what chance is there for my children.

My son is due to transfer to secondary school in September and quite frankly I'm petrified. I feel like I'm sending him like a lamb to the slaughter.

Annie, this is exactly the problem we have. The LEA won't even assess my AS daughter because she's doing ok academically, we lost our tribunal for the same reason, so now have to go through the whole process again, yet another year wasted fighting over who's going to pay to support her and in the meantime we all have to live with the consequences.... self harming, meltdowns, depression, suicide threats, withdrawal etc. We shouldn't have to go through this. It's so wrong.

Lisa

Lisa

This comment has been taken from The Sunday Times article - The hidden scandal of 'special' schools

�Parents with a disabled child commonly struggle to get appropriate care,� says John Wright from the Independent Panel for Special Education Advice (IPSEA). �Parents sometimes fight ceaselessly. Local authorities hang around the doors of the court and capitulate at the 11th hour to save on their budgets. These families are under enormous strain. The situation is as bad if not worse than it has been over the 22 years we?ve been working in this area.�

I agree with John Wright's comment, my son started school 22 years ago, the situation is worse now!!!

Nellie xx

Lisa,

We have also been through the meltdowns, depression, self-harm and attempted suicide. What helped us get my son's statement was that he had terrible meltdowns at school when he couldn't cope. The school's answer every time was to suspend him. Please don't get me wrong, I have not got a problem with him being suspended. Luckily, the school Ed. Physc. and our GP knew enough about Asperger's to agree with us that the meltdowns etc were a result of some of his difficulties and not a child who juse did these things for the fun of it. The school, at the time were adament that my son did not have Asperger's and would not get a statement.

I know it's a roller-coaster ride but, don't give up.

Nellie,

I have spoken to John Wright before (he answered the phone when I first called IPSEA) he was soooo supportive. Even with the workload that he must have, he still managed to call me a few times for updates before our eventual IPSEA rep contacted us, which is a whole lot more than I've ever had from our LEA.

Says it all really, doesnt it? :wacko:

Annie

Annie,

Yes, I agree, John Wright is brilliant, between you and me.....there's no one listening, is there?......I love his voice. :wub: He helped get my son back into school 15 years ago! A true hero!!

Nellie xx

Some even believe all special schools should be closed: the 2020 Campaign, organised by the Alliance for Inclusive Education, wants the closure of all special schools by that date.

The above quote is taken from the BBC article.

Who do these people think they are. And what gives them the right to campaign on my behalf to have my children integrated into mainstream? I cannot believe there are many parents of Autistic children who believe this is the way to go.

The appointment of Andrew Adonis as the minster responsible is grim news for the parents of any child with Autism. His mind appears to be made up that inclusion is the way forward, and nothing he has said or done so far indicates there is any willingness to listen to any opposing point of view. I may even consider voting Tory next time!

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I am feeling in a cantankerous mood this morning, so I have emailed the 2020 campaign to remind them that they do not speak for me or my children. It will be interesting to see if they respond!

Simon

Hi

Been a while since I posted.

There has been some good coverage of the debate in the Independent in the last few days. It carried an excellent piece by David Cameron

David Cameron

which prompted some good letters - scroll down a bit.

Letters from the Indy

Note the comment about the Tory closure of Chartfield School!

The Indy also covered Warnock's re-think, which it supported in a leader. There is another letter today from an educational advocacy officer which has a nice quote from a boy who said that 'I don't want to be a special child in a normal school; I want to be a normal child in a special school'.

Colin