Sign in to follow this  
bluejean-genie

Proposed statement

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with:

if a proposed statement hasn't arrived before the six week holidays, does that mean the proposed statement will be held back until September? When LEA's send out a list of schools has the LEA already checked them out as to whether they have places or are suitable?

Hi, my son's statement came through during the school holidays. He was already attending a school, they just wern't providing the support, so we didn't have to name a new school. Do you have a particular one in mind? The LEA still work through the holidays, I carried on liasing with mine and had it sorted by the time September came, so if your are successful with your statement you should still be able to get it sorted for September.

The LEA should be able to tell you what schools have places available if they are Voluntary Aided schools, not sure about Voluntary Controlled think they can choose who they take - to a degree. Is that right everyone?

Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Hi bluejean - genie,

We are in a similar position, waiting for a proposed statement, and I have also been told that the holidays won't affect anything, ie that the LEA will continue to process everything with their usual level of efficiency and professionalism. :devil:

I can't answer your second question but I'm sure someone will come along who can.

K

Hi and thank you both for your replies!

You have put my mind at rest. The LEA have said that there is no school in our area that can meet his complex needs, so I am waiting for the proposed statement to see what it says and what schools they list.

Do you have a school in mind? The LEA are not allowed to do anything more than give a list of schools. They can't recommend any of them. Some of the independent schools (the NAS ones for eg) are still going for another week or so. Any chance of going to see one or two of them?

Call me jaded thank you for your reply.

in answer your question, there is a NAS school just a few miles away from me which is both residential and a day school but it appears very expensive. I have been informed this morning by the Parent Partnership Officer that the LEA are in favour of a residential school but for now Nat will have interim tuition due to his mental health issues. I am to be sent his proposed statement this evening by 1st class post.

Hi, I'm new here,

We too are waiting for a proposed statement, I phoned our LEA and they said 'most' of the staff still work the holidays.

We took our (nearly seven yr old) out of mainstream primary as he could not cope, he was dx ASD at age four, I have been home edding him since.

We have our eye on a special school (MLD), but need a statement to even be considered.

Oh well, keep looking out for the postie :rolleyes:

Brook

Hi Blue Jean

In order to save some time, ask them to email the statement to you now. I did, and it gives you a few days jump.

You may be able to look at the NAS school this week and propose that it be named at Part 4 (if it is suitable) and then this gives time for panel meetings to decide.

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Brook,

I presume that Statutory Assessment has been undertaken - if so, there are deadlines for the LEA in which to tell you whether they are going to proceed with the issue of a Statement of Special Educational Need. If they decide to go this way, then once again they have to stick to deadlines. But you only have a small 15 day window to comment on the statement, so I would get IPSEA or NAS on board as soon as possible if you need their help.

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Blue Jean,

If you visit the NAS school and think it's suitable, you can ask for that school to be named on the statement. The LEA should send Nat's paperwork to the school and the school will say whether they think it's suitable for Nat.

I do know it can be difficult to get a residential place for a child who lives within travelling distance of the school. They may argue the residential part is down to social services as they may say it's not part of the school day. You can argue for a 24 hour curriculum.

I agree you should contact NAS advocacy or IPSEA as soon as you get the statement.

Nellie xx

Hi Helen,

Have had the statuory assessment, when I phoned the LEA a couple of weeks ago, they said that a proposed statement had been written up, but it was waiting to go to the agenda meeting to decide on a statement, any advice on this would be very very much appreciated :D

Thanks

Brook

Thanks Helen,

I just phoned LEA, the lady dealing with my sons case is not in today :rolleyes:

but they said they'd get her to give me a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the useful link,

Brook

Hi Brook, welcome to the forum :)

The forum Jargon Buster has lots of useful information and links, you will find it at the top right hand corner of your screen.

For information on special education have a look in education resources.

Best wishes

Nellie xx

Re: schools list - I would not expect it to be just a list of schools that have places available now - you would need to ask the school when you talk to it.

I would also not rely on the LEA list being comprehensive - do your own research eg:www.oaasis.co.uk has a page about finding a special school, giving a link to Gabbitas etc.

Karen

The LEA have said that there is no school in our area that can meet his complex needs

This is the green light to go and look at schools regardless of the expense. My son starts as a day boy at a NAS school in September.

Thanks Karen for your reply and the information regarding the Oaasis web site which I definately will look at! It has been agreed, that for the time being he will go to a learning centre as interim tuition.

Call me jaded thank you for your reply and I wish you and your son all the best for September. :thumbs: