Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Playtime Supervision

Hi,

I hope I can explain this without it turning into too long a post,here goes...

My son has just moved up into year 1 at mainstream. His class now play on the 'big playground' at play/lunchtime. His am and pm LSAs don't want him on this playground because it has three gates which are left open all day long and they do not feel they can keep him safe,so are taking him to the 'little playground' with the reception children.I think this is depriving him of the chance to play with his classmates, and said so. I was told that he knows lots of the younger children anyway, which is not really the point. His lunchtime support as far as I know is staying in the big playground with him.

I realise they only have his safety, and their responsibilty for him, in mind, but my other half has raised the point that aren't his 1:1s there to supervise him all the time?

To my mind, two of the three gates should be locked all day long for the safety of all the children.

Am I right to ask that he is kept with is classmates at playtimes, and that the school must sort out the gate issue ? I think it's quite reasonable that during the school day that only one gate is open to any visitors to the school. I'm sure I won't be the only parent who would liked some of these gates locked !

Am I being unreasonable ?

wac

P.S. he keeps asking to go in the 'big' playground cos 'he's a big boy now' which is totally different to home where he tells me 'he's a baby' !!!

Edited by waccoe

I agree with you Waccoe. I'd be horrified if J's school had gates open all day - where's the safety aspect in that? And yes, if your child is supposed to have 1-1 supervision then he should be safe in the main playground - what harm can come to him if he's been supervised? He should be with his peers to prevent isolation, as much as possible.

I think you should approach school about the gates issue, perhaps even finding out the legal position beforehand so that you're pre-armed. Security measures were tightened dramatically in schools after Dunblane and although I can't be sure, I don't think it can be appropriate for all gates to be open all day. There should be one single entry to a school where visitors have to report to reception on arrival, otherwise anyone could be wandering around among the kids.

Hope you get it sorted.

Karen

x

When my son first started school they gave him 1:1 in the playground, but then suddenly decided as he is statemented he doesn't need it now.

At my children's old school the gates were locked, the only one you could go through only went to the main entrance and reception and not into any playgrounds, and school was locked as well.

Their schools now one is open and you can wander in through any get they are not only not locked, but left wide open. The other school (infants) the gates are shut, but not locked, school is however locked. But I often go to collect him at breaktime and can the wander into school from the playground and have free access to school.

It is a pet hate of mine too.

At least one gate must be open for access to the school when the school is open.

schools must also have open doors to allow access to the building but this could be just the main door and there should be a member of staff in the office supervising that door.

I would be very angry if I did not, as a parent, have any way to get into the school when I need to.

Zemanski

I don't really think this is an issue of whether or not the gates are left open but as you say one of supervision. If your son has playtime supervision what difference does it make if the gates are left open, the supervisor should prevent him going through them.

I agree that it is unfair to separate your son from his peers at breaktime how is he supposed to form appropriate relationships with them if he doesn't mix with them and this might well cause him further problems in the classroom and I also think it might be a form of discrimination because he is being treated less favourably than his peers but you'd have to check with the DRC about that one.)

Does the statement specify 1:1 supervision at break times? If it does then they are not adhering to the terms of the statement.

You may need to ask for the statement to be amended so that it is explicit.

The TA will need a lunch break and this is usually how a school organise it! - take away lunch time supervision and then they do not have to provide another TA for lunchtime duty! In some cases, I have heard that parents are encouraged to take their kids home during the lunch break!

Best wishes

HelenL

I would ask the school to sort out the gate issue - obviously access is needed for emergency services and fire regs possibly mean that some gates may need to be opened for safety reasons if the children need to assemble away from the school but otherwise I can't see that the school shouldn't be able to address the problem.

Hi, and thanks for your speedy replies,

I've looked in to this a bit more this morning to find out exactly what the situation is. I know know that he's not allowed on the big playgound at all.

He has lunchtime 1:1 supervision seperate to his 25 hours 1:1 classroom support.

All three 1:1 supports are worried that they might not be able to catch him if he does get out of the gate. Apparantly, the first day back he was making a game of running from one gate to another :devil:

I can just imagine this, he would think it hilarious to cause this panic, and have people chase him, I can just see the look of glee on his face !

I have also found out there will be another class from year 1 on the smaller playground but this still means he will be away from his classmates, and further isolated from them.

I'm going to do as karen suggests and look into the issue of some of the gates being locked during the school day. The problem here will be that the Nursery pm children arrive during lunchtime play and will need access.

I had wondered if 'gate monitors' from the year 2 pupils may be a possibilty ?

I do realise that one gate must be open all day for parents to get in !!! (and anyone else for that matter) perhaps straight through the playground is probably not the best entrance for a school.

Hey, let's just re-organise the whole school ;)

Got to go, am late for school as usual'

thanks,wac

The playground gate is locked at our school - the parents queue up to get in at 3:30 - the caretaker pops out 2-3 minutes beforehand and unlocks it. However, there is a separate entrance to get to the school office, so it may not work for all schools.

there has to be a solution to this to get him back with his classmates, but I haven't found it yet (well nothing realistic anyway!)

Better go do some housework :whistle:

Edited by waccoe

We are lucky that our school is like fort knox. There is one entrance to the school office, but no one can get round to the playground during the day, and there is a 8 ft fence around.

My son is not allowed out at all at lunch time. They used to keep him in the reception playground as he couldn't cope in the big play ground, but now he is in year 2, he's too big.

The argument our school have is that my son cannot calm down again to concentrate in class after having the free reign of the playground, so his 1:1 supervision is inside the school. I would like to see him out playing for at least 10 minutes, and the teacher suggested he goes out for 10 minutes before his lunch when the playground is empty, and take 2 friends with him. The head has said no as his 1:1 is at lunch.

I guess we have to battle for what we want to achieve for our kids.

I strongly believe that gates should be locked for the safety of all children, and an adult should stand by any open gates at ALL times to prevent unauthorised entry, as well as prevent any kids leaving. If they are following health and safety protocol, this shouldn't be a problem.

Hi,

I've read your post a couple of times to try and get my head around your situation.

Am i right in thinking that your child's 1:1 has her lunch before the school lunch-time so that she can then supervise him indoors ?

I can understand that the LSA needs to eat ! but wouldn't a seperate lunch-time support be more suitable ? My son has this written into his statement.

I would have thought that the lack of playtime would increase a child's inability to concentrate ? If he needs extra time to calm down after running around the playgrouind at lunch-time, then maybe bring him in 10 minutes earlier and find him something calming to do, maybe a job' that is solely his ?

I really believe that playing at lunch-time is key to my son's success in mainstream school (hence my concerns at his being kept from his classmates) I don't think that keeping your son indoors is helpful to anyone, and is quite possibly discriminatory.

I think you're quite right about the gates issue, why have 3 gates open, as is the case at my son's school. Lock two of them, and supervise the remaining open gate. This sounds simple doesn't it ? !! Trouble is, it might have to disrupt that huddle of dinnerladies smack bang in the middle of the playground, looking inwards !!!! believe me, I've seen them.

My son has a lovely lunch-time support, the trouble there is that the dinner ladies treat her as though she is a dinner lady and expect her to fulfill the same duties as they do. My son's teacher has raised this issue with her, the poor woman doesn't know who she's supposed to answer to !!

I think I'm going to have to pluck up courage and sort this out. It's difficult when I'm being told what's happening 'off the record'.

Shall we commence battle together, Fox ?

trouble is, I've got to find out how much I'm supposed to 'know' before I commence !

wac

Seperate lunch time support does work, my son is proof.

He has a different LSA who is absolutely wonderful and who supports him for the hour at lunch time, this is written into his statement.

She is also sent on training days and has developed relaxation skills to support my son when he can become anxious in the playground.

Withdrawing your son from his peers is not inclusion!!!!!!

Sonia x