Sign in to follow this  
loulou

Kai starting new school next week

Hi all,

I've just been given a start date for Kai's new special school (next Thursday!). I'm still not sure whether this is the right place for Kai, but i'm willing to give it a go. The autism advisory teacher works within the school and is being very supportive.

As you may know, he's been out of school for 18 months now following major trauma in a mainstream school.

I'm feeling very anxious about how he is going to cope, and whether i'll actually be able to physically get him into the building. I think he's going to find it a huge shock after spending so long in his safe little "bubble" of home.

The social worker told me i had to remain positive and "stop worrying so much!". Yes, she may have a point, but she's not the one who had to deal with a suicidal 5 year old after such an awful start to his school life :angry::angry: .

Anyway, i'll let everyone know how it goes,

Loulou x

LouLou

Our 5 year old has just started year 1 in special school afer a disatrous attempt to introduce him into mainstream last year. It is a worrying and unsettling time, we understand what you are going through.

Her resisted fiercely atf irst, but things are getting a little better. Have you discussed your concerns with the school directly?

Simon

Hi :)

I do hope everything goes smoothly for you both >:D<<'>

Is this a school you feel happy with, or the EBD one you had concerns over??

Bid >:D<<'>

Hi Bid,

This is the EBD school i had (and still have) concerns over. I had a meeting with them last week to raise my concerns. The Head said that he wouldn't have offered Kai a place if he did not feel it was appropriate. He was also very honest in saying that his school is not run to specifically suit the autistic child, but that they have many children (30%) in the school who are on the autistic spectrum.

He said that they would know very quickly if it was not going to work for Kai.

What i'm worried about is causing more damage to an already very vulnerable child.

On the other hand, he's been at home so long now, i just want to get him back to school. It's also very difficult to know exactly what his needs and problems are, because he's been out of the system for so long.

Life is tough isn't it?

Loulou x

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

To update, the school have just sent a lovely visual timetable for Kai and a laminated book they have made just for him. It's got photos of the school, his classroom, teachers and classmates.

I looked through it with him this morning and he seemed to like it. He's already decided who his new friend is going to be (a lovely cheeky looking little boy!) :wub: .

Fingers crossed!

Loulou x

I hope everything goes well for you both, I know all too well what its like for a school to cause a child to become suicidal, and how heart wrenching it can be to send them there after the terrible experiences that no doubt you have been through.

It was nice of the school to send out the timetable and book, they seem to want to make the effort so he is happy there. Keep us posted on his progress :D

Edited by lil_me