Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Visiting Special Needs Schools....

I am going to visit a special school along with the head of the local parent partnership (who happens to cover my area).

What do I need to ask?

Do you think the pp lady will agree to help me with the statementing process? (the application has been sent in along with a few reports, with more to follow, but the LEA has asked if I want to appoint someone to help me through the process).

The headteacher of the school Louis is in at the moment said that the statement should be in place by Christmas. - I hope so, then he can start a new term at a new school rather than starting half way through a term (but then I have heard hampshire LEA don't like giving out statements :wallbash: ).

Well, I'm sure others will post excellent lists of specific things to look for...

So I will just say what our LEA Officer said to me (and which I didn't believe at the time!).

I was in a real tizz about visiting residential special schools, and she said we would 'just know' when we saw the school that was the right one for my son.

And she was actually right!

I visited one school, which was excellent in every way, but deep down I just knew wasn't the right place for him. But because we were desperate I found myself 'justifying' why we could send him there...a warning sign!!

Then the next school we visited, I walked in with my son and we really did both 'just know'!

Hope this helps, and take your time over making any decisions.

Bid :)

Thanks Bid.

Unfortunately, only this one school in Hampshire is apparently right for my son (according to ed. pshyc, paed etc.), but will be talking to the PP lady and seeing what she thinks, esp. as this school will be a 45 minute taxi ride for louis - minimum!

Hi :)

Try www.oaasis.co.uk

Under education 'special schools and what to look for' there is a list of quite good questions to think about, its about 4 pages that you can download and print out.

Good luck!

Hi Fiorelli - can I just make a point about PPS - they give impartial advice which means that they do not take sides so you may not get a proactive reaction.

With regard to the statementing process - if it was me, I would get IPSEA or NAS to check the statement. They are not quite so 'impartial'

Hope this helps

Best wishes

HelenL

Do you mean head of pps - as in employed by the LEA, or an IPS ie: someone independent allocated via PPS. The former I would not trust at all, and I would not make your feelings about the school known to her - in my experience, they just feed back this info to the LEA, so they are forewarned.

Please do mention "Tribunals" a few times - that should get them worried! Make it clear that you will do whatever it takes to get your son the right education.

You certainly do not have to accept their choice of school (in fact, I can't think of ANY of our group that has!), and as bid says, you will know when the school is right - but you also have to have the relevant info so you can back up your preference. I asked things like how many male staff there were (as my son relates better to men) - one LEA MLD school didn't know! Look at their Ofsted report, look at the number of exclusions they have, ask what their leavers go on to do.

If you PM me and let me know where in Hants you live, and the school they are suggesting, I may be able to give you some advice, as I live in Hants and have visited quite a few schools. the LEA know me very well - lol!

If you PM me your e-mail, I will try to find the list of Q's I used and e-mail it to you.

Karen