Sign in to follow this  
ray

Hello

Just a quick hello. Joined yesterday - our son is Alex who is 17 years old, diagnosed with Aspergers when he was about 9. We live in Ringwood in Hants. Came across this website in a quiet 5 mins at work on Friday (work for a bank - yawn) and recognised many of the issues & experiences. Alex is in his second year at a local college, he's a wonderful lad with a great character and ever so sociable, although he doesn't really have any friends outside of college. He's not really very academic and he's doing a general prep for work type course. He had a summer job at Sainsbury's where he had to cope with a couple of girls who weren't very patient with him and made things quite difficult. I can share this episode with you another time if anybody interested because I think it highlighted the very innocent and trusting nature that some AS kids have which can lead to them being vulnerable to teasing and bullying and creates a conflict about advice I want to give Alex to just be himself, but at the same time to hold back on some of the detail so he doesn't come across as 'weird, and so easy prey for those with a nastier side to them.

Anyway, hello, and speak soon.

Ray

Welcome to the site.

The folks on here are brilliant. We've had some great advice and support.

Am sure it will help you too.

Clarkie

Hello Ray

Welcome to a great forum where advise and answers can be found and a good shoulder to cry on can be provided on the down days.

Lisa x :wub:

Hi Ray

Just down the road from you in Poole and co-ordinate a support group for parents and carers of kids with ASD/ADHD etc

You may be able to access some advice from Wessex Autistic Society who have a school at Hurn (not sure I am allowed to mention it by name) and this school has post 16 kids there and they do 'life skills' training for the kids.

My son is only 9 but I can see that the vulnerability is going to be a big problem and I intend to approach them at some time to get some advice.

Had a meeting with Wessex the other night and I think that they are looking to providing some training /advice for parents.

Also, of course, this forum is an absolute blessing to all of us.

Welcome

HelenL

Hi Ray

live just down the road from you at christchurch.

I have a daughter of 9 diagnosed with ASD, i myself only joined last week and i am finding very helpful. ;)

nikrix x

Hi Ray -

Glad you found us, hope we're useful!

Can totally i.d. with that 'be yourself but watch your back" feeling you have regarding Alex... Don't think there's anyone here who doesn't have the same from time to time.

L&P

BD :D

Hi Ray

My 9 yr old son just got diagnosed 4 wks ago as having Asperger's and have had a lot of helpful advice on here :thumbs:

Jewels :)

Thanks for all the welcomes and kind words. As it was halloween just watched 'The Grudge' - scary film. If Alex watched it he wouldn't sleep for a year!

Ray