Sign in to follow this  
gvce

XMAS present advice for my 5 1/2 year old

My son is 5 and a half and as you have probl read, I am taking him to the hospital tomorrow for the 2nd time to hope fully get a DX for ASD.

I am just stuck with what to get him for Christmas.

He is not into action figures or anything that he has to do on his own except he has 1 game on the PS2 which we have only started letting him play as he used to get really angry.

At school, he is exceeding everything: Number, writing, reading etc... but doesn't really seem to have 'fun' with the other kids.

I have bought him Subbuteo which my partner says is a great football game that will help his co-ordination. I've also bought him the old fashioned Connect 4 and also Guess who (for those of you who remember the games of old)

I have also bought him a �2 sticker chart from Clintons that praises him for good things and awards him with stickers.

What else should I get???

:party::groupwave:

Edited by gvce

I basically let my son loose in Toysrus and other toy shops and see what he goes for, then write down what he won't leave alone. I will say one thing, don't be afraid to buy him 'baby toys' as some call them, the lights and sounds from these toys can be fascinating for all children and most are still learning toys. My son loves the likes of Geomag, lego, knex and other things he can fiddle with like transformers etc but every childs different.

Edited by lil_me

Hope I don't sound like a an old misery, but I would think that what you have already bought sounds like loads for a 5 year old??

With 4 children we have never been able to afford big presents or lots of presents, so each child has one 'biggish' present, or maybe 3 smaller presents (around �30 in total for each child).

I have found that they love their presents, and take time to really appreciate them.

I think some times with a lot of presents a child can feel a bit overwhelmed, or doesn't really 'look' at each thing...

Only my opinion, and I hope I haven't offended you :ph34r::unsure:

Bid :unsure:

By the way, I have just ordered a computer game for my 4 and a half year old from Amazon. It's the Lego Star Wars game, and the child can play with an adult, sharing the key board (Auriel tells me!!?? :hypno: ). On Amazon it was �5 cheaper!! This will be his present this year.

Oh no...hope I haven't infringed any forum rules with these details :o:lol:

Bid :)

Hi,

I too am having this problem as M is five also and doesn't play with toys. M asks for more wires for christmas which he is obsessed with. I'm not actually going to buy him more wires but it has got me looking at the educational/ discovery toys. In Argos they sell a range of toys/kits for children, for example crystal growing kits, science based kits etc. If your child is into learning rather than playing then perhaps these would be a good idea.

Good Luck

Bid you have not `offended at all - thank you for replying. My little boy had lego start wars and loved it - it really is a great game and playing with an adult really helps although they both got a bit competitive!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

What else should I get???

Should this statement be interpreted as I have lots of spare cash?

Call me Ebeneezer Scrooge, but the way I look at Christmas is little more than a massive spending spree on all sorts of unnecessary stuff. If your kid isn't interested in anything then the best plan would be to save the money until the day comes when your kid finds something they want. I am a great believer in buying things for your kids as and when they are needed rather than waiting for birthdays and Christmas.

Canopus - very good point. Maybe I am being shallow but my partner has always been very money orientated. Last Christmas I bought C loads of clothes. Cut things like Scooby doo socks, and a Bart Simpson Tee shirt but I always feel my partners family are looking at me as if I havent got a clue.

They dont think he ha ASD and they think I am just making a meal of it.

May be its just me being daft.

But thank you for your comments!

:)

And no I dont have lots of spare cash. It wouldnt make a dfferent anyway. Id still be in the same predicament as I am in now

I too am having this problem as M is five also and doesn't play with toys. M asks for more wires for christmas which he is obsessed with.

What sort of wires is he interested in? Mains cables, co-ax, multicore, audio?

Consider getting him something electronics orientated such as books on electronics or electronics sets. Maplin sells electronics stuff for kids.

My son's the same - give him an action man and you get a very blank look :blink:

The things he likes are things he can manipulate - lego, transformers, bionicles, k'nex etc.

I'm getting him marble run for xmas - maybe some magnetix, things like that.

Oh - thanks Z! >:D<<'>

Can sense a marble run addiction coming on!

If in a couple of months i'm complaining about bits of marble run....darent move the marble run...just hovering around it....marble inflicted foot injuries...etc :D I'l be blaming you! :lol:

Marble runs are great -- |I still play with ours (only I call it 'tidying it up!)

We have far too many aunties, uncles, grandparents and godparents on the scene at present times. I do ask them to combine on a few things the kids would really like rather than all get something small trip over, but no luck so far. (And then my mum visits and asks why we have so many toys!) Do you have the same problem?

If a 'big present' is what you think is lacking, last year's really big hit (in all senses) was C's fur-covered chair-sized bean bag --cuddly yet useful, and makes a HUGE parcel.

Canopus,

M likes any cables and circuit boards. I have already managed to find a couple of electronic type toys which involve building circuit boards etc. These are aimed at children although the age group is a bit higher than 5 so we will have to supervise. At least it is an educational obsession. i have also managed to track down a childrens book on electricity, although something not too babyish as he knows quite a bit already!

I'm thinking of getting my 5 1/2 year old (with Aspergers) a digital camera for Christmas. Obviously it won't be anything fancy but I think I can pick up a 2/3 year old compact on ebay for around �30. He loves taking photos and up to now he's been using disposables which gets expensive quite quickly and doesn't have the instant gratification of digital.

give him xmas catalogues with toys in and get him to make a collage of all the things he wants for xmas,it all so gives him something to do.

Digital camera is something on my sons list also. I am still looking for one, just being very fussy as to what I want it to have etc.

Admittedly I go silly at xmas when it comes to the kids but not as bad as I was, �1000 on each child 2 years ago, I know, crazy :hypno: I couldn't realistically afford to but I did it, and regretted it, have learn't a lot from mymistakes but I probably still go OTT

We used the toy catalogue idea after browsing the shops, my sons got a major issue with writing so it helped a lot

Edited by lil_me

�1000 !!! Oh my god thats loads. So far I have spent �70 on C althgouh when he was 2 I spent round �250 but that was before we had any idea of ASD and some of the toys are still in the ###### cupboard!

When I ask him what he wants, he just says Batman toys but when he had his operations a month ago his dad kept getting him the Power Ranger toys, which he thought were great at the time. I dont even think he knows where they are now. Just shoved in yet another toy box for him to walk past.

May I should get him something really challenging to keep him occupied for hours. Have decided to get him a Chelsea FC top as (Daddy has got one) so that should keep him happy and we have booked in to go and see a game to watch Brighton and Hove Albion football club so that should help on Boxing Day!

Cor, Bills, debts, relationships, kids, ASD and Christmas!!!

How the heck do we do it guys???

:jester:

my son is 5 1/2 and I was not sure what to get for xmas either. Lat year someone bought us a marble run but because it was a cheapie one ( can I say that) it did not hold together properly and kept falling apart every couple of minutes. After rebuilding it about 20 times and have a screaming meltdown plus tears from Samuel we took it away. It totally spoilt xmas day and made me realise i must check what was in the packets before i let him open them. I felt so sad for him - he was really frustrated that it would not work and spent the day just saying oh dear oh dear again & again.

I am trying to get one again for him but this time a more solid one in wood if anyone see one anywhere for sale could they let me know???

if I cant get one I will go for the other things he likes - lego and trains. good old lego never fails .

xmas can be so expensive so we now just ask all the family to help put a nominal amount in to the " pot" & then I will get what I think would be ok. I think you can just go mad so It will probably be 1 or 2 books each, a dvd & a nice toy. I think they can be over whelmed by it all & sometimes the small simple things can be good like colouring pens & paper

however us parents are easier - the wine always seems to be a good present - never fails to impress me!!!!!!!!

Lil-me - what pocket dragons have you got because i also collect them. although i would love to get more, i no have no more room on top of my tv.

B)

ooooh, dragons :dance:

Com has been collecting since he was 3, all sorts but mostly pottery and resin ones - he has well over a hundred plus any games, books and clothes he can get hold of - he only wears tops with dragons on and has his hair spiked and dyed to look like 'flames'

no problems thinking what to buy him :wub:

Zemanski

Char has asked for a robot and a gameboy.The robot is the robosapien much too advanced for him but got what he asked for .The gameboy is because his big sister has one and he keeps trying to pinch it when shes not looking.Got a cracking deal on it tho' GBA for 44.99.Other than that got him some of those magnets Geo something cause he love magnets he tries to figure out how they work keeps him quiet for ages!!!

Lisa x :robot:

Another pocket dragon lover here too B) I have around 78 of them to date and met Real Musgrave earlier this year so I have a signed Riding the Unicorn and a little flower one in a pot with a Real Musgrave drawing on the pot B)

My asd 5.5 year old son is getting a snooker table and a plane. This year is the first year that he has started to ask for things - waited a very long time for this!

Each year, i also find that he gets a wee bit more interested in opening his presents - priceless! :dance:

:unsure: Not wanting to divert too far off topic

I have about 40 pocket dragons, they all in boxes at the mo after one got broken I had a bit of a panic and packed them away until I find somewhere safer. Mandy I wanted to meet Real, he was at a Collectables store up here and my son was ill, we went to the collectors centre and missed him by an hour :(

Have a few land of the dragons ones, and some Myth and Magic, few globes with dragons etc and my baby who's tank they sit above

Woody Clicky

Sorry the pics not very good and its HUGE so I linked it this time !

Funny story about him, he's a Bearded Dragon, when we got him we asked my son what he wanted to call him. He said 'Grandma'. My Dad has called my Mam 'The Dragon' for years, and she was having some hormone treatment at the time, my son noticed the facial hair, so typical honest ASD child comes out with Grandma for his name. We of course said no and he became Woody instead, as Mikey was into Buzz at the time. He became his best friend Woody. But the little terror still told my Mam what he wanted to call him. :lol::oops:

Edited by lil_me

I am trying to get one again for him but this time a more solid one in wood if anyone see one anywhere for sale could they let me know???

ELC have brought out a wooden marble run. It seems quite flat and spread out it rather than building upwards IISWIM! They also have the plastic one on sale for �10 at the moment

Liz x

:rolleyes: You can,t beat good old lego :thumbs: .

I might be thinking things, but I'm sure Lego isn't as popular in Britain as it used to be. I don't think you can get the space series any more and technic seems to have almost vanished as well. Technic was my favourite and I had the set with the pneumatic pistons.

Earlier this year I found a toy shop in Turkey that was full of Lego including loads of brilliant sets you can't get in Britain. They were very expensive and I doubt many parents could afford them.

ive bought my 6yr old v-smile pocket. she loves the v smile shes got in her room and now shes going to have a mobile one too. not many toys last long in this house with her, but the vsmile has gone the distance.

something else that keeps my daughter mesmorised is domino flash cards which she lines up and road maps! give my daughter a street map and shes busy for ages!

I think the present most useful to us as a family and my son loves is his gameboy, he had a SP now has the DS version. Portable peace as we sometimes call it. It's always in my bag when we go out as a distraction aid, he can cope in most appointments if he takes it etc. He sat through a 1 hour meeting tonight thanks to it.

LizK thanks for the tips I will have a look in ELC as it is something I have been looking for.

Canopus- my sons love lego, especially the ASD one, he usually has a few pieces (usually 6) in his pocket. We've managed to get him a sea creatures lego set this year, I can't wait to see his face when he opens that.