Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Another one bites the dust

How can they possibly justify sending asd kids to an EBD school ? :angry:

Yet again, my phrase for the week it seems is, 'it beggars belief ?'

How come these people making the decisions have no idea of the intake of an EBD school ? It's no place for asd kids, there's no common ground here IMHO.

Is this another 'academy' springing up in a 'deprived' area ??? ie., easily replaced ?

Tony Blair/all 'hot air' has lost my vote, Ruth Kelly was the straw that broke the ginga camel's back.

It makes me want to hark back to the days of Barbara Castle and Shirley Williams, where are all those woman MP's that lived in the real world ?

Aarrrgh, can't remember the name of the weird sect that Kelly is purported to belong to ???

" parents of primary school-age children are increasingly opting to send them to mainstream schools. "

Is this true if parents aren't actually given any other option ?

My son is in mainstream now but I've never accepted that as a long term arrangement.

wac

ASD - becomes EBD

That's exactly what I've been saying ASD is going to 'come under' when it comes to educating our children.

All the talk seems to be either SEN or social, emotional and behaviour difficulties. It's getting harder and harder for our children to get Statements and when the new changes come into being, it's going to be easier for schools to be picky on admissions.

Blair, Kelly & Co don't understand the difference between behaviour difficulties due to Autism/ASD/AS and behaviour problems but will insist on putting them in the same box :wallbash::angry: .

Annie

EBD = Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, usually used to describe people with very servere emotional and behavioural difficulties that make mainstream education impossible. Some Autistic children can fall into this category but many LEA's seem to think that Autism is a form of EBD which it certainly isn't.

many LEA's are are similarly confised when it comes to MLD's (Moderate Learning Difficulties). Some Autistic children can have MLD but Autism is not a form of MLD. Some LEA's think it is.

It all leaves parents caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea because thay have a choice between inappropriate Special School Provision and Mainstream Provision that the child cannot cope with.

Simon

Just googled to another article on the school.

The very fact that the Council has a 'Head on Inclusion' tells you everything you need to know.

What makes me uopset and angry is that everyone who is involved in the care of Autistic children knows that parents are not insisting that their children go to mainstream schools. They are either being told their chiild can't have a statement and must go to mainstream, or offered MLD/EBD schools that do not meet thier childs needs.

The complacency and reluctance to tell the truth involved makes my blood boil. :angry:

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

EBD = Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, usually used to describe people with very servere emotional and behavioural difficulties that make mainstream education impossible.

That was the school I attended as back in the 1980s and early 90s most kids with AS and ASD were lumped under EBD which is a polite term for yobs and thugs.

EBD = Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, usually used to describe people with very servere emotional and behavioural difficulties that make mainstream education impossible.

That was the school I attended as back in the 1980s and early 90s most kids with AS and ASD were lumped under EBD which is a polite term for yobs and thugs.

I know what you are trying to say, but do not rush to judge.

A good friend's adopted daughter goes to an EBD school. I won't repeat the exact reasons here, but there was an awful lot of bad stuff went on before she was adopted that explain the way she is now.

Her behaviour can be extremely challenging at times, but she is neither a yob or a thug. She is a vulnerable little girl who has been through a lot and is struggling to come put the other side.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

"We expect numbers will fall in the long-term because parents of primary school-age children are increasingly opting to send them to mainstream schools."

"opting"? I wasn't actually aware that our LEA gave us any options at all?

As this is our LEA I'm increasingly worried about M's future. For a change M's school are 100% behind my plans to get a statement for him & will be setting the wheels in motion at his next school action + meeting, now I'm doubting the LEA will be as helpful. :crying:

I know what you are trying to say, but do not rush to judge.

A good friend's adopted daughter goes to an EBD school. I won't repeat the exact reasons here, but there was an awful lot of bad stuff went on before she was adopted that explain the way she is now.

Her behaviour can be extremely challenging at times, but she is neither a yob or a thug. She is a vulnerable little girl who has been through a lot and is struggling to come put the other side.

The school I attended originally only admitted kids with a higher than average academic ability which possibly explained why there were several kids with HFA type conditions. It was not a requirement to have AS, ASD, or HFA to be admitted to the school. The school would take an NT kid that was a nasty violent thug provided he was of a high academic standard and was deemed capable of getting good GCSEs. From 1991 it became incredibly difficult for the school to get hold of "problem kids" with higher than average intelligence due to changes in LEA policy, so the school started taking kids of lower intelligence including those with AS and ASD along with thick lazy yobs.

The mainstream education community has traditionally had difficulty telling apart "problem kids" with AS and ASD from those who are NT and either have had a bad past which explains their behaviour, or are just downright vindictive and nasty. Only since AS became a recognised condition 10 years ago has it been possible to separate the two groups.