Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

Coming off dial-up and going broadband

Gulp time!

Everything is ready... :sick:

so i'm about to disconnect the phone... :sick:

and try it :wacko:

what if it goes wrong....oh heck!

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I've had so much hassle getting this far I'm bricking it it will go wrong and I can't get back on again :tearful:

you'll be fine, and if you are reading this "I told you so" :lol: wellcome to the fast paced world.

Viper.

Welcome back if you made it :thumbs: If not welcome back when you DO make it :unsure::lol:

Remember.... we're just a click away!! :jester:

Lauren

littlenemo i know what you mean about ntl its a bit hit and miss service in our area at the minute we lost connection for nearly an whole day last week and it went off three times yesterday all be it for 5 mins but inconvenient when you are on msn or doing some work.My eldest had AOL broadbamd but he wasnt that impresed with that either we now have our computers networked .But as providers are limited in our area we stick with ntl. But it is definately better than dial up. lynn

Remember.... we're just a click away!! 

Only a click away if you can connect in the first place.

He's been gone a while now, do you think we should send out a search party? :hypno:

Simon

I have to admit my new modem knows how to swear like a trooper now. The bit I like is hit 'post' and bang! There it is. Click a link ditto....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Edited by phasmid

Smiley, it was BT who fiddled with my line and cut me off the other week in readiness to switch me over to b/b. They don't want to do it again now that its running!

Whilst were on the subject of BT broadband...... has anyone recieved crank e-mails (Hubby recieved 7 yesterday!!! :blink: ) - all suposedly from BT. Obviously not though as each has a virus in it. (Thankfully we have brilliant anti-virus software etc....) But still - bloomin' cheeky. Called BT - nowt they can do. Grrrrrr

Broadband is the best thing we ever did - and now - as from today - we are networking B) Two wireless laptops running from one router. That means Carole has unlimted access now :thumbs: While Rob (eldest) picked up the tab for both machines :wub: Well it was his decision and not mine - honest :)

Carole

Ah yes the laptop...well that's a different story. Right now I have lost the connection from the laptop through the desktop to the Net (and to the desktop as well) and cannot make a connection through the wannado modem to the net either!

Our computers are networked two desk top and a laptop( via wireless) conected to my router and we dont have any problems with them saves paying three lots of seperate subscriptions the wireless router for the laptop was a bit expensive but i didnt pay for it �70.00 all in i think my router was �30.00 but well worth it. lynn

BEWARE ALL...

I Tempted fate last night by posting in this thread, and guess what happened about two posts later?

:wallbash::wallbash::angry::angry::angry::angry:

i HATE BROADBAND -

But pleeze, massa, don't t'ro me back in that ol' briar patch called dial-up!

Laters

BB willing :pray::pray::D

Phasmid,what speed is your broadband?

I am going to move from NTL to bulldog DSL when they eventually get around to updating the lines to take 8mbps here.

Edited by TuX

Tried getting laptop/desktop connection back and promptly lost broadband connection from desktop. Tried resetting it all but it keeps telling me I have an ip conflict. I have now disabled the wireless lan card on the desktop and got b/b running on laptop. I wrote down the correct IP I need from the settings on here as they came up so now what to put in. What I dont know is how to reset it on the desktop. I'm on wanadoo if it means anyone can help...

please do!

I've just done this in the last week. It may sound daft but on the wanadoo livebox, next to the bit where you can connect a phone there are 2 buttons. You must hold in button 1 for 10 seconds and a light will flash. The router will allow you to set up a new connection for 10 mins and then you can have both online together. You will need to set up the network options to allow other computers to access the network.

Hope this helps and that I havent just told you a bunch of stuff you allready know. I was at it for 2 months trying to connect davids PSP before I found out about the button.

Rob (The person who gets to fix the PC after Carole breaks it) :ninja:

Hi to all :)

I must be the lucky one ;) we got broadband and 4 PC one for each except the cats who just broke the super special keyboard of the MAN of the house. the MAN got 1 PC, 2 pockets, and a lap top.. :thumbs: ...... all runing smoothly the all house is wired so you can plug PC and laptop from any room except the bath-room the service is from Bulldog ,switch off BT because they wanted to restrict us on the download and send us a letter saying "Congratulation you are now in controle of your internet download. :devil: ..." What a crab. Ntl couldn't give us broadband in our area.... we use to have wireless but always had interference with some neighbourg having wireless to, and the security setting was creating pbs.

By the way wonder where this poor cat is gone.... probably keeping a low profile for a bit, everybody knows here that the last thing to do is to mess around with the Master PC. :oops:

Good luck with it all.

Malika.

Thanks Rob (he who fixes the computer after Carole has broke it), but I don't think it'll be that easy. It looks like somewhere along the line I have re-set the IP address of the livebox so it now cannot be found by the software what runs it. How I did that god knows. I have tried everything I can think off (short of shooting it) and got nowhere. I'll try what you suggest and see what happens. the problem is I don't think that will get past the IP conflict, even though I have disable the wireless LAN card on the desktop they both seem to share the same IP.