Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Another question from me Again(computers)

T is 9 and he is on the PC 24/7. ATM he is making "movies" and looking for the "perfect ringtone" (ps he has no mobile phone :rolleyes: ), and playing stickman and making his own scenes. Also he likes listening to happy/sad/fast /slow songs..

I'm interested in seeing what yours do on the PC, because i'm nosey :P:D ...

Guest flutter

she makes power points, writes stories and plays...........................................

sims :o

Matthew is building a hospital on the PC upstairs and playing Sim City Down Stairs. His favourite game however invloves building a HUGE rollercoaster to size.

As for David he play X Box live and also DS online and spends his other time on games chat groups. :wacko:

Carole

Edited by carole

H is on his computer most of his spare time playing games like Rayman, Spider man interactive, Batman :bat: , Sonic Superheroe ;) , Bionicle, Zoo tycoon.......and he likes going on BBC network for school children learning about science experiment, Viking Dinosaures, except for that he watch TV cartoon network, Boomerang, and play with his robots and Transformers but only like twice a week. :unsure:

Now he has developed some interest for history and watch UK TV History.

He never likes to go out :( and if I want him to come with me anywhere I have to do lot of convincing.....never mind I can stay in and go on Krism.... :lol::lol::lol:

Malika.

Com has been through most of these sort of things on the computer.

He likes his laptop and mine going simultaneously, sitting cross-legged on the floor between them with one hand on each and a data stick to transfer stuff between the two. He runs his graphics and animation programmes on the mac and the internet stuff on the PC. He hops in and out of 4 operating systems because you can only run certain things on certain operating systems so he has to have them all!

One of his recent projects was a genetic engineering thing but just now he's playing about 4 characters in an online D&D type game.

I thought AS people had problems multi-tasking :P

Zemanski

I've used computers since I was 5 (first=c64) and use them for a lot of things: gaming,internet,graphics designing,trying out linux distros [if I don't manage to botch the hard drive partitions in the process,I lose concentration on installing and end up doing something stupid with the partitions or MBR].

Computers make me distance myself from reality because I hyperfocus on them so much,

my mum complains,but i'm not the one sat there watching some c**p dumbed down reality tv programme or in fact,any of ITVs schedule,using the internet for long periods of time causes education and learning,don't get that from TV,that is my excuse. B)

Tux your avatar looks like my Guniea Pig they call him Chocolate. Is it a pigge or a mouse in the avatar? It's a real cutie whatever it is. :wub:

Carole

Tux your avatar looks like my Guniea Pig they call him Chocolate. Is it a pigge or a mouse in the avatar? It's a real cutie whatever it is. :wub:

Carole

Thanks Carole. :D

They're both black hooded rex rats,the main rat holding his back foot is Akira,and the head that's just about visible belongs to Ryo. :D

Carole,

I wish you hadn't asked :( I've got rodent phobia! :blink:

Sorry TuX, I'm sure they are beatiful. :unsure:

nellie,do you want me to remove the avatar?

You're welcome to come and see them if it'd help win another person over to rat fanaticism? :D

My mum always had a rat phobia,until I got rats and she got used to seeing them around and started to touch them,her problem was with their tails,no idea why though.

What is it that you do not like about them?

:oops: Sorry Nellie.

I used to feel the same way until I was persuaded to let the pigs come into our house. I cannot believe how beautiful and intelligent these little creatures are. Both of ours know their names and not only that respond to things we say. The male pig Chocolate follows me all over the house - even up and down the stairs :o They are also both house trained so no little surprises anywhere.

I also have a real soft spot for rats now. We have the North East Rat Club meeting in our Community Association and after agreeing to hold one of the rats I was hooked. They to are VERY intelligent.

I have always been a canine person but now I love my little stress-busting piggies.

:wub:

nellie,do you want me to remove the avatar?

No TuX, never! You keep it! I'm sure it brings joy to a lot of people.

Everyone has phobias mine just happens to be rodents, and there's spiders and any creepy crawlies. I think they are unpredictable and jumpy, the tail freeks me out too. I hate the thought of something creeping over me. It makes my skin crawl.

You enjoy your pets, I'm sure they adore you. I'll just stick with my golden retriever. ;)

Nellie xx

Everyone has phobias mine just happens to be rodents, and there's spiders and any creepy crawlies. I think they are unpredictable and jumpy, the tail freeks me out too. I hate the thought of something creeping over me. It makes my skin crawl.

No chance of seeing you in the jungle next year then Nellie :lol:

Shame because you are our resident celeb :dance:

Carole

Alex, 17, spends a couple of hours, at least, every evening, scanning ebay, buying and selling on ebay, surfing the net - but its all absolutely 100% focused on music CD's (single female artists only).

M doesn't bother with the pc too much.... can't tear him away from his ps2 though, especially since I bought him the new star wars game for his birthday :lol: & when he wants to take a break he watches the special features disc that came with his new star wars film :wub:

It doesn't seem to be a cardinal sin for a kid or young teenager to be obsessed with computers nowadays even if they are NT. This wasn't the case back when I was a kid. Computer obsession was seen as a very heinous crime punishable by being sent to an institution that didn't have any computers and forced to mix with other kids in team activities. Yes, it's the truth and so bad was my craving for computers that I ended up bringing my own computer to school much to the chagrin of the headmaster.

I was born in a world where cars and televisions were ubiquitous, yet home computers were virtually nonexistant. If you asked someone on the street what software was on the day I was born then you probably wouldn't have got an intelligent answer. Unlike kids of today who take it for granted we have powerful usable machines with flashy graphics and only 3 formats to choose from, I have lived to see how home computers have evolved from being awkward toys into todays multimedia machines. Here is a summary of the computers I have owned throughout my life:

1983/4 Toshiba HX-10

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=438

This was the first computer I got my hands on when I was 6 years old and used it to play games and program in BASIC. The software came on cartridges like those used on game consoles and loaded up instantly. I thought the computer was a weird obscure machine because nobody else I knew had even heard of it and software was difficult to find. At the time I wasn't aware that MSX was the main home computer format in Japan, but sadly never caught on in Britain. This computer was packed in a box that mysteriously vanished when moving house in 1987.

1987 Amstrad CPC 6128

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=111

This has to be my favourite computer of all times as I spent the best part of my free time between the ages of 10 and 14 in front of this machine and taught myself to program in both BASIC and Z80 assembly language at the age of 10. The CPC 6128 was a great all round computer and the only one available in Britain at the time that could be used for games, programming, and serious use. I typeset my homework with the Tasword word processor and my teachers didn't like it. I still have this computer and use it from time to time for games. The disk drive takes very strange looking 3 inch floppies that are impossible to buy nowadays.

1990 Tandy TRS 80 Model 102

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=233

I bought this laptop to take to school with me so I could type work rather than write it. It was quite a neat little word processor and perfect for kids with bad handwriting. It also had in inbuilt BASIC interpreter that I used to write programs to solve maths and physics problems, and a modem I used to send emails with. A friend borrowed the computer in 1994 and never returned it.

1991 IBM PC AT

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=185

My first entry into the world of PCs which back then stood for proper computers because that was what 99% of all businesses used. I was given this computer complete with an electronics CAD package by an electronics company that was upgrading its hardware. I originally used it to design electronic circuits with but later installed pirate copies of Lotus 1-2-3, AutoRoute, and program compilers. I learnt the technicalities of DOS commands and how to program in C, Pascal, and FORTRAN on this machine. I still have this computer and use it for chip programming.

1992 486 PC

A boring grey minitower case

4MB of RAM, 120 MB hard drive, and a clock speed of 33MHz made me the envy of my classmates at school and college. I built this computer from individual components and loaded its hard drive with a pirate copy of Windows 3.1 and M$ Word and Excel nicked from a computer on display in Comet. MathCad was my favourite software package and even the head of maths at college had never heard of this miracle that could solve equations symbolically for you. I never liked the Windows environment for programming so later moved to Linux, but the computer was too slow to run X-Windows even with 8MB of RAM so was sold in 1995.

1995-2005 Numerous Pentium PCs

All look boring

Since 1995 I have owned many Pentiums and most have had Linux installed on their hard drive. I am a Linux enthusiast nowadays.

First computer me and my brother had was the trusty ZX Spectrum - aaah them were the days, playing the hobbit. Who can forget the immortal lines:

You wait

Time Passes

You wait

Time Passes

You wait

Time Passes

You wait

Time Passes

A huge spider appears, it jumps on you and kills you

You have mastered 47% of this adventure. :huh:

Which is what always happened because we had a dodgy copy of the game! :lol: We had Translyvanian Tower and a host of other games too, all saved on our wonderful tape recorder.

My brother progressed to linking the Spectrum up to a bedroom intruder alarm with pressure pads under the carpet to stop my littlest sister from getting into his domain. That was fun.

My dear mum still has it in her loft, it probably still works!

Daisy