Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Did you see it?

What did you think of the drama about the Jacksons? Some of it resembled my life.

Viper.

Edited by Viper

My mum never let me do anything, like she did with Christopher. When I was 20 I left home, and that's when I did my growing up.

Need to give this some thought before I can say anything else really.

;) i watched it.it could of been better in parts BUT i think it was good because its making folk more aware of as/adhd/autism.

i think it explained the lad with AS well -showed some good examples of how wearing it can be.

have to say i did cry in parts ,when she was sat on the stairs crying[sure we have all been there],and the looking out the window at the other children :tearful::tearful:

anything that highlights autism is a good thing i say :)

more people need to learn from it

Well ... I loved it! :D

Honestly, I don't know what Jacqui was (supposedly) whinging about! Okay - I could nit-pick at a few parts of the content, and I felt that, certainly at the start, it was trying a bit too hard to be educational, which made it unrealistic (e.g. the amazing ignorance of the assessors at Social Services). But I have to remember that people like us on this forum know a hell of a lot more about autistic spectrum disorders than the majority of the public, so it's probably a good thing on reflection if it's trying hard to be educational, at some cost to the realism of it.

I thought all the actors were brilliant - Helena Bonham Carter has obviously spent a lot of time listening to Jacqui, as she has her voice and accent to a T! :lol: And boy - was she sexy in that cowboy outfit?! :bounce:

I'm glad it wasn't as excessively negative in the end as it appeared to start out.

It looks like it was based on a year in their lives about 5 years ago, if Christopher (Luke) was 12 then, although they obviously tried to make it look as if it was the year just passed.

And if Christopher (Luke)'s Asperger's was accurate, then it seems amazingly "acute". I think it was either exaggerated for this drama, to make a point, or it makes me appear exceedingly "normal"! :lol:

(Oh, and I've seen "My Family and Autism" before [twice, I think!], so I don't need to see that again. :P)

James

The part where they went to the party was a bit different to my experiences. If we had actually got that far there is no way we would have been able to stay as long as they did. Ben would have been shouting "I want to go home"

But I adree it does do a lot to highlight Autism, just a shame it was on BBC2 and not one of the prime chanels.

Viper.

Edited by Viper

I agree James Christopher was a bit overacted compared to my daughter. Some of the other bits were my son all rolled ito one. The three younger boys were a combination of Ben.

I have seen the documentary a couple of times before too but I am still watching it again. :hypno:

Viper.

Well I WOULD be watching the original documentary now only my freeview is broken owing to my 2 luvly autistic children-oh the irony lol

Have to say i thought the drama was a good portrayal of autism without labouring the issues to greatly-altho i wish i could casually say 'oh another year another round of assessments, as long as they get their statements and XYorZ gets their disability' as tho its somethin you do standing on your head :huh::lol:

But I adree it does do a lot to highlight Autism, just a shame it was on BBC2 and not one of the prime chanels.

Hey! BBC Two's not bad! :lol: Don't push your luck! :P At least it wasn't BBC Four or the Community Channel or something else nobody watches! :D

James

Hey! BBC Two's not bad!

True James but it's not BBC1 or ITV is it? Which is what your average person would watch. (Not the likes of us on this forum we are much more cultured :whistle: )

Viper.

This is true, Viper ... nothing average about us! ;)

James

It's been advertised a lot on the BBC website, on the main home page for the last few days on and off which I was impressed with, reminded me as even tho we had all the reminders on here I forgot :lol::oops:

(Not the likes of us on this forum we are much more cultured :whistle: )

Viper.

I'm cultured?? Wow, thanks Viper. B)

I did watch it and have to agree that Luke's portrayal was rather 'acute' as james so beautifully put it. Tyler could not be compared with Luke (Christopher), yes, the things he said are true but they aren't happening with every sentence he says. KWIM?? I can have a 'reasonable' convo with my son but then he'll suddenly ask out of the blue 'What does love mean??' etc, that's when his HFA shows.

Have to also agree that the beginning of the drama was a bit far fetched in that it made it all out to be 'unrealistic' in my eyes but thankfully, that levelled itself out shortly thereafter and concluded beautifully too.

Just have to comment on one thing...my son has no problems with Christmas. Yes he doesn't like the element of surprises if he knew there was going to be one then he'd have to know what it is NOW but is happy with the notion of my response of 'I don't know myself sweety', off he goes about his business. But then maybe he's more into the presents than he is the surprise? LOL

All in all, a great show. Umm, wasn't Neil one of the Jackson boys?? (a real one) and wasn't Dimitre (how ever he spelt it!) cute???? :whistle:

I thought it was excellent.

Certain things needed to be simplified/exaggerated to make it work as a drama rather than a documentary, but I thought it gave a very good illustration of some of the things that happen when you have Autistic children.

Simon

Moss, I agree with the drama verses documentry. I think the problem I had with it was that I have seen the real life version and at the start I found it difficult to get into. I tend to like real life rather than fiction anyway.

Viper.

Yes well I have to be honest and if I am being it made me cry. It often mirrored things that happen in my home. I also remember many of the events depicted and the yellow dummies made me smile because I will remember being asked, along with many others, to try and find these dummies for Jacqui. Maybe that's why I shed a few tears at certain parts of the film?

I was not sure about this Drama and let's remember it was a Drama so there was some artistic licence but I think that it probably hit the spot. If those of us who live with it could identify with it - and I certainly could - then at the very least those who do not should have a better understanding of the condition. We can't ask for more than that.

Carole

I thought it was quite good, and agree with rainbow queen, the bit where she sat on the stairs crying hit home a bit :tearful::tearful:

I could see similarities with all the kids in my son, but also agree that the Christopher (luke) boy seemed a bit extreme.

Have seen the docu before, the autism puzzle is on after that.

There is one bit that I'm not sure about, I may have percieved this totally wrong but,

the ending seem to come across to me like, the caretaker bloke came into their lives and made them able to do things that they hadn't before, ie.. Christmas, shopping, and the little one tolerating the colour red, I fear that it made it look like all that was needed was for him to go in and sort them out, I hope that others watching this with no knowledge of ASD's didn't percieve it this way, that would be all we need, how many times have we heard "that child needs taking in hand".

Sorry may have percieved it wrong, what do others think?

Brook

I could see similarities with all the kids in my son, but also agree that the Christopher (luke) boy seemed a bit extreme.

I can not agree because he was so like my David and also another boy that I know that it took my breath away. Even my Mum said that it was like watching a double take of David a few years ago. He has changed since then but at that age and stage he was very like Christopher in the Drama.

Carole

Brook.

It did sort of end "happily ever after" but I thought that was down to them growing up a bit, but I can see what you mean, a bit worrying.

Viper.

Sorry Carole,

I should have said that my son doesn't take as much literally as this boy did, and that is why it appeared extreme to me.

Sorry :(

Brook

>:D<<'>

Must admit that I really enjoye d it and it did make me laugh as well as cry. I managed to get both my boys to bed, the eldest ( as, adhd) was supposedly studying for a maths test although I could near him laughing out loud. He'd sneaked on the tv in his room and seemed to get a lot out of the programme and had lots of questions to ask me. I could really relate to all of the in depth personal questions towards the poiceman...we go throught that sort of thing regulalry as I'm sure lots of you do too.

jessie :wub:

Sorry Carole,

I should have said that my son doesn't take as much literally as this boy did, and that is why it appeared extreme to me.

Sorry :(

Brook

Ditto.

Sorry Carole. >:D<<'>

I've just posted a review of the programme at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/magnificent7/yourreviews.shtml

I invite you all to do the same!! :D Mine was basically just a slight edit of what I first posted in this thread here. :)

Tylers-mum:

Umm, wasn't Neil one of the Jackson boys?? (a real one)

Ummm ... nope. :lol:

mossgrove:

Certain things needed to be simplified/exaggerated to make it work as a drama rather than a documentary

Excellent point. :clap:

Brook:

There is one bit that I'm not sure about, I may have percieved this totally wrong but,

the ending seem to come across to me like, the caretaker bloke came into their lives and made them able to do things that they hadn't before, ie.. Christmas, shopping, and the little one tolerating the colour red, I fear that it made it look like all that was needed was for him to go in and sort them out, I hope that others watching this with no knowledge of ASD's didn't percieve it this way, that would be all we need, how many times have we heard "that child needs taking in hand".

Actually that's another excellent point. :clap: Now you've pointed it out to me, I think you're right - that was disappointing. Perhaps Dimitri was just pointing out and clarifying what Maggie (Jacqui) couldn't see for herself, but that is certainly open to interpretation, as Viper's thoughts on it have proved.

jessie:

it did make me laugh as well as cry.

Me too!! :dance:

James

Edited by Gordie

Come on guys no need to apologise we were all expressing our opinions that's all B) I was in no way offended.

Carole

We all enjoyed it, Com included, but I did have a bit of a problem with Dmitri's ability to cure them all (no more alergies to dogs at the end, miraculously). It felt as if the message was that mum was being over-protective and all she needed was a man in her life.

Then the car alarm went off. :lol:

Given the limitations of a romantic comedy, I think it did well.

I didn't have high expectations of it as an in depth portrayal of autism - in a drama this length that isn't possible. I agree with Brook, I think the relationship with the caretaker became an unnecessary distraction - and this is a pity as it became sentimental at this point - shades of Brady Bunch at the end when they were all singing round the table and Curtis magically overcame his fear of red. Anyone watching it might think "aah, they're just normal kids underneath, after all".

I liked Helena Bonham Carter's performance very much - she made it watchable, really. I thought the aspect of ASD which was brought out well was the literal interpretation of everything, the scene between Christopher and the psychologist(?) was classic and made us laugh as we have been there so many times. L is so like this as she also picks up on absolutely every literal meaning. He was much more laid back and controlled than my daughter would ever be though, especially in the social situations, and I don't think his problems at school really came across.

I think any portrayal of autism on prime time TV is a good thing, but I myself found little to identify with and I felt quite detached watching it. But then I don't particularly identify with JJ anyway as I couldn't identify with anyone who would want seven children - it's something completely alien to me.

I didn't have high expectations of it as an in depth portrayal of autism -  in a drama this length that isn't possible. I agree with Brook, I think the relationship with the caretaker became an unnecessary distraction - and this is a pity as it became sentimental at this point - shades of Brady Bunch at the end when they were all singing round the table and Curtis magically overcame his fear of red. Anyone watching it might think "aah, they're just normal kids underneath, after all".

All I would say in opposition to that is that it might've looked too negative without those closing scenes - all doom and gloom when it isn't that bad. (Although maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty parents of autistic children face.) I agree with what you're saying, and perhaps it was that part of it that Jacqui didn't like, but I guess they just wanted to express the point that there are positives that can be taken from situations like theirs.

James

perhaps if it hadn't been a man offering support (love interest is something I suspect I wouldn't have the time, energy or mindspace for if I was on my own) but a close friend it might have been less distracting and made the point that supportive people around us do really help and do make a difference to our lives more clearly.

I decided to ignore the niggles and enjoy it as a drama I could identify with, even if Christopher was a bit too obvious - after all, one of the problems with autism is that it is largely hidden, particularly with AS but that might not come across well if portrayed entirely realistically and anyway, with so many different presentations, some kids will be like that - just not many.

Zemanski

What spoilt it for me me was the whole Dimitri bit. Beside the fact that we knew this was fictional, it did give the impression that he came into her life and got them all on the right track to being sorted out 'problems' wise. That I felt was very patronising, both to Jaqui, and come to that any single mum's with an autistic child (if thats you be wary of friends who introduce 'friends' with foriegn accents :lol: ). Those bits aside much of the rest was pretty good.

The funniest bit for us was with the round of applause after Maggi's tirade in the school marquee. At this point Phas jr walked in the room and presumed they were clapping...

his arrival!

Edited by phasmid

I enjoyed it.It made me smile and at times it made me cry.Anything tha promotes some awareness of the condition has got to be a good thing.Christopher constantly asking questions all the time reminded me of when I was little,Even now my husband says 'thats enough no more questions'I remeber quizzing my sister to death about things when I was young and she'd end up running off with her hands over her ears. :lol:

My mum would be telling me a story and she get to the end and I would say 'what did she say' then she would add a bit more on then she would get 'then what did he say' and this would go on for about 15 minutes until she would end up losing her patience and walking off.What an annoying child I must have been :wallbash:

But yes i really enjoyed it. :)

I thought some of it was done well and some of it wasn't; much as he was a 'pretty' addition to the cast, I think the story could have done better without the addition of Dimitri. Helena-B-C was very good as were the kids who played the boys.

I just wish my William would start tidying his bedroom with the precision of a ruler :huh::lol:

Lauren

I enjoyed it as a well made piece of drama,but it bears no resemblance whatsoever to any of my experiences with an autisic child or those of my friends . I thought Helena was excellent.

Love Lorainexx

i really enjoyed it,the boy who trashed the sports day remimded me of steven,he even looked like him :lol: helena b c sounded so much like the real mum as well,thought it was a bit far fetched at the end but i suppose they were trying to say its not all negative,i wish i was singing round a table at the end of the day though,im usually crying in to my wine glass :wub:

I thought it was well made and did enjoy it from a drama point of view. I could not relate to any of the children particularly well though. My husband pointed out to me that it was a drama and not a documentary.

Made me laugh tho when Christopher was wisphering to his mum did the doctor has aspergers and she asked would he like to tell her what he said and he said no! Nearly wet myself.

One question though that I could not fathom the answer too - how did he pay for that Goose?

Caroline

x

I really liked it , it made me smile to myself quite often. There was one thing that stood out to me and that was the red stripe on Curtis' bedding, knowing his phobia I don't think it's a mistake us parents would get away with!!

I'm sure a lot of people that did not have understanding of autism would have found it sad but I didn't feel sad at all at the end.

I also smiled at the bit in the hospital as that day I had sat in a doctors waiting room with my AS son declaring to all " Do you think we'll get seen before Chritmas" and " I hope she speaks to me this time, I have Asperger's syndrome but I'm not stupid".

:)

Denise 2