Sign in to follow this  
LittleRae

Telling our Son today....probably

Hi All

Looking for lots of good vibes from Krismites today. We are telling our DS (10 yesterday!) about his dx - that's if I don't chicken out! Feeling very nervous & trying desperately not to burst into tears. :crying:

Keep fingers crossed for us please - I really want this to go well - it could go either way.

A

Good Luck.

Don't be surprised if you just don't get any reaction - I think it takes a while to understand.

Sometimes we as parents expect more reaction than we get because we've been dealing with the emotions for a lot longer

We told my son when he was 9 years old and the first thing he said was "so", when we explained further he just didn't seem that bothered really.

He's had a good few months to learn about AS now and is pleased people understand that he is different so it was a good move. There gets a point when you can't keep telling them that the visit to the psychiatrist is just another "hearing test" :D

Daisy

Thanks all. Just left him alone now with a book. At first he kept shaking his head and denying everything we told him, but now he's asked for a highlighter to mark out bits that are 'him'. My heart is still thumping and I feel sick :sick: - it's like having the diagnosis all over again.

I'm hoping he will ask questions.....

Just had him come in with his book where he picked out a few things. Doesn't really want to talk about it and is a little sad. We're off now to watch 'Life with Mammals' to cheer him up.

A

So sorry. I'll never forget when A was diagnosed it was heartbreaking. Doing it all now with k He's 8 but mentally to young to understand so i've not had to tell either of them about it. >:D<<'> for you all

Hi,

It must have been extremely difficult for you, and your son >:D<<'> :D

Hope you are both ok and enjoy the weekend.

Loulou x

hope it goes well

Hopefully he will just need a bit of time to get used to the idea that what he feels/doesn't feel has got a name and is something he can put his finger on when he gets asked (if he wants to). He can always come here and talk to us.

I personally found the best way with my boys was to give them little bits of info at a time and let them get used it. Then wait for questions and this then led to slightly longer discussions. Now they both know they have special needs and they can do most things they want but sometimes with a bit of adult supervision. But neither of them are very far away from me. I think the main thing is not to knock their self esteem but be guided by them.

I know each child is different so I hope this will be of some help. >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> these are for you and your son. I hope his programme cheered him up ! It's so hard all of it isn't it?

((((((((D's Mum)))))))))

You're fantastic >:D<<'>

Sending out a few more hugs for ya ... here they are

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi all

Thanks so much for the advice. He hasn't mentioned it at all today although his behaviour was atrocious - only to be expected I guess. Will update you as the days go by.

Thanks again

A