jlp

Something positive about our asd children

I was wondering if, as a lot of us have had pretty awful days, it might be nice to share something lovely about our children?

Mine is (ds#1 is 6 and has AS) that it was my birthday on Wednesday and not only did he insist my mam bought a birthday cake and some 'party' food, but when they were in the kitchen secretly (!) writing out my card he went to his money box and got a ?10 note out and put it in my card. Nearly made me cry. Also at school a few months they had a charity box in the classroom and of his own accord he took all of his money out (it was about ?5 at the time) and insisted on donating it. When I said if he really wanted to give money a ?1 would be fine he said 'well ?5 should really sort them out mammy' :wub:

As money's so important to him (he's saving - it was for a conservatory but we've suggested a playstation) and he loves counting it etc I thought that was lovely and it gives me so much hope that underneath all these strops etc there's a lovely kind sensitive little boy.

God help you if you borrow ?1 without asking though!

I'd love to hear other people's happy stories :D

That story is lovely, what a kind and caring child you have.

My son is often very generous with his toys etc.

The other day when my little girl had her friend around and her mum and brother came to get her, my son started showing him stuff on the pc and as they was leaving he gave the boy a little squeezy toy, it was a really kind and genorous for thing for my son to do.

Two of my most recent

My youngest has been poorly on and off for about a year, he gets colds constantly and they badly affect his asthma. Few nights ago he dozed off on the sofa, for some reason my oldest (ASD) noticed he was shivering (he rarely notices anything like that) he dashed upstairs and got his blankey ( ;) shhh noone knows he still has one) which he won't usually part with and wrapped him in it. Warmed my heart. I actually did shed a tear as I always think they really hate each other.

Also when I was ill last week he said 'It ok stay in bed and Mikey do everything' So sweet just wish he was a few years older so I could have took him up on the offer.

Edited by lil_me

Last wek a friend came round with her son and their little baby. Baby is lying on the floor under her baby gym thing and ds came over to see her. He is fascinated with babies although tends to regard them as objects rather than little people! Anyway she was smiling at him and the next thing I know he's got his blanket and is pushing it round her to tuck her in. The babes mum pointed out how kind he was and that the babe might dribble on it at which point ds goes upstairs, brings another blanket so he can take his favourite one away. It was really sweet.

Last night he told me 'I love you mummy" and gave me a hug and I don't hear that very often at all. He used to parrot it at bedtime when I said it to him but yesterday I got the idea he actually meant it somehow. :)

After a few weeks of utter hell ds seems to be getting back to his usual self and last night he sat beside me on the sofa for ages with his arm round me, it was just great!!

It is great that even though it is said our kids can't put themselves in others shoes they do lovely kind, thoughtful things. I suppose this makes these actions even more special!

Carrie

what a good idea this is :) Once at school my ds class had to write about an object that is special to them. This caused huge panic at home as ds does not really get attached to any objects. He wrote

My special object is not an object but is a person. This person is an expert at many things including cokking, cleaning, washing, ironing and shopping :lol: This person doesn't earn any money but works continuously through the day.

This person is average height and usually looks angry :angry: But isn't really. She has a very friendly smile and a soft voice. This person is special because she caters to all my needs and knows when I am upset. She is special because she makes me smile and comforts me when I am sad

I love this person the most in the whole world. This special person is my mum.

I hope that in the future that my mum leads a long and happy life. :crying::crying::crying:

I tell you I cried for ages when I read this and so did his teacher. As you can tell I have kept it and bring it out to remind me when it seems everthing is going wrong.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: ........... :o ..........LKS what a lovely story..........brought a tear to my eye too.My lad loves making cups of tea :dance: ............yep he,s well trained.He also gives incredibly strong hugs that take your breath away, then pats you on the head.Night night he says when he goes off to bed :P .

My little asd 5.5 year old boy has started to learn to read at school. He is now on his second book and I am so so proud of him! It hasn't taken him that long to grasp. He was also reading his book on the stairs this morning all by himself

He is also wearing pants to school (since last week) - which is another milestone for him. He is also having his lunch with the other kids in the dinning room ( he had to have lunch in the classroom before as it was too noisey for him)

I also bought him a toy fluffy puppy out of Sainsburys ( half price) and this is his "pet". I have to give it some breakfast and it is priceless to watch him play with this dog!

I am one very very proud mummy as the above are huge acheivements for him.

Forbsay

xx

My AS son has never told me he loves me :( But I know he does really :D

Daisy

Tom will come up to me and squeeze the life out of me he never says anything, then he walks away and waves, always gets me. He's taller than me now but id rather have his bear hug than a millions cuddles noone means. >:D<<'>

Tom will come up to me and squeeze the life out of me he never says anything, then he walks away and waves, always gets me. He's taller than me now but id rather have his bear hug than a millions cuddles noone means. >:D<<'>

Yes Elaine - hugs ow, ow, ow - my boy's only 9 but by 'eck them hugs is certainly meaningful! :D

:huh: ......Daisy would he do the I love you in code??..my boy went through a stage of squeezing my hand in the rhythm of I love You.I ust used to do it if we held hands when he was smaller, he asked what it meant, he then began to do it himself. :D

My son (11) wanted to use powerpoint, so he wrote slides about the family. He wrote this about me:

Always nice and friendly

Good at Tomb raider

Reliable

Fun

Intelligent

Healthy eater

He wrote lovely things about the rest of us too. His Dad is 'caring', his sister 'cute' and his brother 'fantastic at Internet games" - I am so proud of him. Who says kids with AS aren't loving!

Elanor

I know m son loves me, because if it happens that I go out before he goes to bed he keeps getting up to check if I'm back. I'm struggling to come up with anything more positive, but I love him to bits anyway.

Great idea for topic. I am on here almost everyday, reading mostly, looking for ideas and answers, or sometimes being just plain nosey! Lots of it makes me well up. Its great to read some happy/positive things, great to have a smile!

This wkend we saw something new in my 3yr old. We went for a walk through a park which has one of those fitness trails, my son was trying to copy his big sister (4.5yrs) climbing and balancing, he even climbed a tree! We were there for a whole happy hour with them running around, playing together, holding hands the lot. He enjoyed it so much he even took his coat off - we can only presume that meant he wanted to stay!!!

My son can be so stubborn and determined at times but without fail every night after his first drink (he has two and me lying next to him so he can play with my hair :blink: bless) he sits up and kisses the back of my top and tells me he loves me :tearful: , and it doesnt matter what has happened that day cause at that point you forget it all :wub:

jayne xx

What lovely stories >:D<<'> Feeling all emotional now. It's sometimes hard to remember the 'good' things but so nice to hear about other people's good times and beautiful children :D

Come on there are so many more good things about our kids then there are bad. My 4 year old son makes me proud every day in some way or another (even if he did write me a note at school saying "Dear Mummy, thank you for don't know") lol. :lol:

I was so proud of him last night when my husband walked in after football training and my son said hello to him and I said "what are you going to ask Daddy" (thinking he would draw a blank or ask something inappropriate) and he said "how did you get on at football Daddy?" I was so uplifted just from a simple thing like that ... not only did he remember DH had been to football, he put thought into it, it was appropriate and asked in a casual manner - excellent!

No one has mentioned how handsome and cute our kids are ... from my experience, all the best looking children in the playground are the ones with ASD, they really are lookers!

No one has mentioned how handsome and cute our kids are ... from my experience, all the best looking children in the playground are the ones with ASD, they really are lookers!

Now that I agree with 100%!

Nice story - one from this morning -

The Boy is 4 and pretty non verbal (altho this is improving with special school help). This morning I dropped him off at nursery. We always have a kiss and cuddle before I go, but this morning he actually said "can I have a kiss?" so I gave him a huge hug and kiss cos he's never asked for it before. Then he stepped back and said "thankyou" :wub:

It was sooo lovely & I had a little tear in my eye. All the nursery girls said "aaaaah" it was just so sweet how he did it.

Course then he brought me back to earth with a bang cos he turned round, waved vaguely at me over his shoulder, grabbed a nursery girl's hand and said "breakfast". I had been summarily dismissed, food being more important!!!

That little request, cuddle and thankyou will warm me and bring a smile to my face every time I think of it though.