hev

steves new habit

steven often has habits which he does then they pass,a few weeks ago it was saying a certain word at the top of his voice,not a swearword but after a while the habit will go away,for the last 2 weeks hes been clearing his throat really loud and it makes a disgusting noise,its not a cold its a habit as hes told me,ive ignored it for 2 weeks as its not his fault and i know if i mention things it will make him worse which i dont want to do but at the moment im finding it hard to be in the room with him,im sorry if that sounds awful to anyone but the noise sounds disgusting,makes me feel like im going to be sick,i know ive just got to wait for this to pass but its taking a long time!!

Hev, know where you are coming from with this one Keegan has awful habits too He has strange habbits too latest is to click his fingers constantly and after a few weeks it becomes unbearable. Like Chinese torture. :crying:

Funny he also goes through phases of saying random words out load - his latest word is "HOWLER" sometimes he gives me such a fright all can be queit and you get a shout and i S*@t myself. Patience is a virtue me luv but somedays I don't have any it wears you down and no you aren't being awful you are doing the right thing by trying to ingnore it and remove yourself from the situation.

justamom

Adam cracks his teeth together and it makes a horrible noise i realy hate it. you can hear him in the morning he damages his teeth. I wish i could stop him he's been at it for monthes :(

Jonathan likes to miaow like a cat - drives me scatty :blink: so we have certain times when he can do it! Usually when I'm on 1/2 on the crossness :) scale rather than 8/9 and about to blow my top :angry::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Hev,

What a coincidence! Kai started making a throat clearing noise a couple of weeks ago, and it's really driving me crazy. He does it all the time and it's horrible. It's since he's been back on Ritalin, so i think it's a tic.

I have managed not to say anything to him b/c that only makes it worse.

It's so hard to ignore!

Loulou x

Hiya,

My son does this too. He clears his throat...scrunches up his nose and eyes.....twitches his shoulders and if he's very 'anxious' he opens and shuts his mouth repeatedly (almost making his jaw click). It became a huge problem for him last year as people (mainly older children) would comment. He ended up punching something in frustration and making his hand bleed........he then realised he had an 'outlet' for his frustration and began to self-harm.... He's 7 :( .

It can be common in children with ASD's as a way of stimming, but do mention it to the Peadiatrician - as it could be early signs of Tourettes and something they can keep an eye on.

He's not as bad now - it usually gets worse if his anxiety levels go up.

And yes - it's bloomin' frustrating to listen/watch, but i do try to ignore it - pointing it out often makes it worse.

Both my children go through phases of constant throat clearing, especially in the aftemath of a cold, so I sympathise - it does get to me at times.

I can thoroughly recommend headphones and a blast of one's favourite music for times like this - works for me!

K

My son sits and cracks and clicks his knuckles.it makes me squirm.But if i say stop he does it even more.

Hev,My son does the same thing and I do tell him it's disgusting and that I'm not going to stay in the room if he keeps doing it. If that's wrong I don't know but it really sounds gross!!!!!

Edited by reuby2

steven often has habits which he does then they pass,a few weeks ago it was saying a certain word at the top of his voice,not a swearword but after a while the habit will go away,for the last 2 weeks hes been clearing his throat really loud and it makes a disgusting noise,its not a cold its a habit as hes told me,ive ignored it for 2 weeks as its not his fault and i know if i mention things it will make him worse which i dont want to do but at the moment im finding it hard to be in the room with him,im sorry if that sounds awful to anyone but the noise sounds disgusting,makes me feel like im going to be sick,i know ive just got to wait for this to pass but its taking a long time!!

my daughter got a bad haibt when she passes wind she puts her hand over it then she smells it not nice all the best jill

William does this really hard sniff which goes right in to the back of his throat. He's 12 and has been doing this since he was about 4 or 5. He does it in the middle of speaking (even used to do it in the middle of singing songs... he doesn't sing now though), I've got used to him doing it but other people notice it and quite often we get disgusted looks off people :P Not that I could care less! I've developed a very thick skin to other people's reactions over the years.

Lauren

My son alsol atches onto a certain word or phrase and shouts it out, sometimes these words are ones he's made up (Crocadolly was a favourite for a long time), he also makes odd noises the latest is a sort of grunt followed by a high pitched wheeee!!! :blink: Drives me nuts and especially fraught when I'm driving :(

He also went through a phase where he had to put his chin on me then open and close his mouth really hard :blink: he ended up with bruising under his chin!!

Like you say you just have to wait for it to pass - but it is very irritating.

Luv Witsend.

Hi

my son got dx on monday of Aspergers,Tourettes and dyspraxia..

We are still reeling, the AS we 'knew' and the dyspraxia too in a way was no surprise...but the tourettes really threw us.

As with most people we thought of the shouting outburst sweary symptoms (about 5% of touretters) and S is quiet, polite and has never sworn (he is only 8 and I realise theres plenty of time!) Actually at school is he the polite quiet boy at home he is a bit more of a challenge!

Any way his dx of Tourettes came about because of his throat clearing/ cough - which has now gone- S did this for months about a year ago and I put it down to another irritation!! and his more blinking than average and the way he turns his hands when talking!

I was astounded, as I am completely ignorant about Tourettes I have found out a little more now tho!

redberry x

Hi Hev,

I posted on another thread about this, my daughter has started to spit when we're out (not at people, just spitting because she says she can't stand it in her mouth). It drives me mad and at first I was pulling her up on it but it made her worse so now I try very hard to ignore it and it does seem to be getting less frequent - thank goodness!! another thing she does, when we're at home, she often breaks out into a song REALLY LOUD!! all of a sudden and it makes me jump, or as someone else on here said, I nearly s@-t myself. She's got a loud voice anyway, but it's really ear-piercing. I feel sorry for my neighbour who lives in the flat above us - the things she hears and she never complains, bless her.

I hope ignoring it works and works quickly for you!

Sue

xx

still doing the throat clearing but is now shouting mrs kennedy at the top of his voice in my ear,constantly :wub: i have no idea who mrs kennedy is,shes not a teacher at his school but whoever she is i hate her!!cannot wait for this one to pass as i cannot wait to see the back of mrs kennedy!

j will shout out penis or willy really loud its so embarassing, if he sneezes he does a really loud noise with it too it nearly blows your head off .he also cracks his knuckles and spits all the time when were out . :wacko: