Sign in to follow this  
hev

im eating too much

ive always had a big appetite but im eating constantly now,nearly all day,i know its linked to my feelings like comfort but it feels out of control,ive been going to a slimming club for 5 months but im putting it on,i know ive got to get to the root of the problem before its sorted but i dont know where to start

I tried writing down all the positive things in my life, and then all the negative. i found i had more negative than positive so i set about changing the negative. also, i changed the way i thought about dieting. instead of feeling guilty when i "cheated" i told myself that as an adult i could eat what i wanted when i wanted. instead of saying i "couldnt" have something, i told myself that i "didnt want" it. my positive thinking tutor told me that a lot of it was in the mind. dont know if this helps but ive already lost half a stone so it works for me,

good luck >:D<<'>

hev

Ive struggled with my weight for years.Im not over weight but have at times been very very underweight due to not eating in an attempt to loose weight and conform to the media steriotype of what is supposed to be attractive.

Ive also done the sitting all day and eating every thing i can get my hands on.Whole 6 packs of crisps,.packets of biscuites peanut butter straight from the jar none stop eating.Not even hungry but when im bored down depressed its a comfort.

Then it hit me god ive spent virtually all my adult live not enjoying food constantly worrying about what im eating or not eating.Its bloomeing daft when you think about it.When i look back on photos i can see that i was of a normal weight yet at the time id been trying desperatley to loose weight.Such wasted years.

Since i decided to think sod it.Sod watching what i eat eat what i feel like.yea i guess have more fuite veg home made food i havent craved the so called naughty foods as much and my weight stabalised.I feel so much better.

For the record ive also been a memeber of the Eating order association due to bullimia.

Food for me maybe for you too isnt about hunger its about emotions and loneliness and being at times really depressed.

Yesterday i saw a couple on phil and ferns this morning.They had a daughter aged 19 in a coma with braine damage due to anorexia and then taking an overdose.All due to pressure to be this super slim image.Its tragic.Its not easy but be happy be whatever size you want and if like me now and againe yer think today is a full on chacaholic day so be it.

I hope ive helped maybe i havent but weight food as made my life a misery at times i didnt want to think you were alone.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Edited by Paula

Hiya Hev,

Since finding out in nov that my son has an ASD all I have done is eat! Every time I have been on the computer( which is a lot) I am eating , however I really want to do something about it now and am watching what I eat, also I have started taking a mineral .Chronium picolinate which is supposed to help with the craving feelings. Don't take anything without making sure it is okay for you, but my blood sugar was swinging all over the place because of the amount of chocolate I was eating so it helped me.

I agree with what's been said about food being more than just to satisfy the appetite, I eat when I am bored or lonely, or depressed.

Another thing available at the moment is the paul mckenna book " I can make you thin", in the cover there is a hypnosis cd which you listen to as you work through the book.Some of the things he says are really good as they deal with the things we associate with food, helping us to understand more of how we tick in these areas.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Another fan of the Paul McKenna - I dont like the word 'thin' which put me off to begin with and I cant say I've dropped 3 stone or been transformed - but gradually he is making my attitude to food more healthy (well he isnt, I am, but you know what I mean!)

I'm struggling too at the moment - a close friend has asked me to be a bridesmaid, and though I'm honoured I'm also in my late 30's and a size 18......! It's not going to be a sight Trinny and Suzannah would approve of, I'm sure :lol:

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

I really think exercise is the key as long as you enjoy the type of exercise you are doing, if you are not happy this can be it.

Exercise release happy endorphines so is a big bonus. I find being more conscious of my portion sizes helps, I got into the habit of being a bit heavy handed with the breakfast cereal - realised I was having two serves instead of one.

Trying to be conscious of servings and choosing fruit instead of starchy carbs makes a big difference.

What do others do to enjoy their exercise more - just wondering.

I like listening to an ipod and walking, this pumps me up, and takes my mind off stuff so its time just for me. Or swimming. :D

All the best

Hailey

Normal sized women are now been made to think there outisized.When ive gone into shops and asked for a size 14 ive been looked at as though im some sort of freak by a ultra skinny size 8 assistant.Then told we dont do outsized clothes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Men dont have specific sizes on ther clothes do they.Its waiste size and leg lenth.How come women are specific numbers so that the larger number you are the worse youre made feel.

I tell you why because were daft enough to beleive the fashion industry who say unless youre 5 ft 10 and a size 8 then youre not normal or attractive.We buy into this brainwashing and i think were our own worse enemy at times.

Hev,

I have the same problem as you like, over eat then feel guilty and depressed so I eat to again and the cycle just gets worse. I have tried all the other avenues of clubs, I even joined the gym and it was a lovely way to unwind. If only I kept it up but I never made time for myself. I should be very thin I run around all day after the kids constantly cleaning up and I can't shift the weight.

I was desperate so I went to the dr and he put he on some tables (if was my last resort) and they seem to be helping..

Best of luck

Justamom

I've always looked at the big picture - for the first few tens of thousands of years, the larger the woman, the more beautiful she is (it implied being healthy, wealthy and well-rounded :thumbs: ). It's only in the last hundred years, with an over-abundance of food in the West, that society has tried to make us think anorexic is the unattainable ideal to beat women with.

To put your minds at rest, the person most often chosen as the most beautiful of all time is Marylin Monroe - and no-one ever described her as sylph-like!

Keep the curves :notworthy:

Having had eating problems since I was 12 (bulimia) I get tired of this thin ethos ... now I struggle to put any weight on, the bulimia now only rearing its head occassionally, and I usually can sort myself out. The end result is the IBS I have always had is the bain of my life, somedays can't leave the house in fear of an accident, and it causes me serious pain. I am now one of those hated people 36 and a size 10, but I actually look quite horrid, very drawn, no boobs and always very pale. I dream of curves, and a bra that it not from the junior section. Being thin aint that fun.

HHxx

hectorhouse

Thanks for being so so honest.

i too have suffered from bullimia and at times have been extreamly underweight.Im going to be realy open and honest here.When i was thin too thin i also had no boobs,my backside was so bloomeing boney that i couldnt sit down with out it hurting.You could count the ribs on my back and i was constantly breaking out in cold soares.I was very drawn in the face and looked terrible.But hey i was in a size 8.Not worth it i tell you.

My moods were also all over the place i was a nightmare to live with.

Im now 36 will be 37 this month and although its hard coz once youve had a well established eating disorder its always there i have gained weight.I can now fill a bra it doesnt hurt to sit in a bath and my face looks younger coz the skin isnt hanging of the bones and causing lines.Im happy most of the time and best of all i can enjoy meals out and holidays rather than thinking oh god what will be on the menu.

Marilyn manroe im sure was a curvy size 16 and is a beauty icon.We need more women like this>For me Fern Britton is bloomeing fantastic.Shes happy full of life and eats chocalate on live tv instead of picking at it.

Ive a 14 year old daughter and im very very aware that some of my eating habbits have rubbed of on her.Shes a beautifull young women who is obsessed with her weight.

I also have ibs and its horrid a legacy of my ed.My stomach blows up and i cant put on jeans i then suffer horrendous bouts of diareha(cant spell it) All these things arent talked about they should be.Thats the reality of constantly denyeing yourself food and striveing for an unnatural stick thin figure.

:blink::blink:

It's not going to be a sight Trinny and Suzannah would approve of, I'm sure :lol:

Stuff those pair, they're a couple of nasty old trouts!! :lol:

Hi,

I really think exercise is the key as long as you enjoy the type of exercise you are doing, if you are not happy this can be it.

I agree with hailey. I am finding now that my weight is creeping up, and the baby belly isn't budging quite so easily.I was 7 stone 3 for years. i looked ill. I didn't diet and i loved my food, ate what i wanted. but i was living on edge always on my nerves so i think that attributed to my ultra skinny frame. A size 6 trousers would swing on me i hated the way i looked, no boobs and bones that stuck out. I am now in a much happier relationship theres no fear, but theres also no stairs in the house where i live now and i think thats made a difference as well as being more content. I used to run about the place every day taking my son to School on the other side of town which involved lots of walking aswell as buses, then i 'd be back home with Lewis then back into town again for lunchtime to take him to nursery then it was a wander for a couple of hours then get Lewis, then Jamie then another big old trek home again. Now, i'm in the house mostly. Jamie is at High school and it would be a sackable offence to take him to school and Lewis is picked up in a taxi for School. I need to join a gym or something...........if only i could find my energy to get there :blink:

Whatever your size shape colour and even if you do like white stilletos we are all special and unique. It would be easy to say don't worry about how you look but it's not that simple. I love you all to bits and think you're all so amazing! :wub:

>:D<<'> thanks paula, I was worried that I had posted something that might appear patronising. The reality is the idealised visioned of what we are meant to be is just that 'idealised'. I have used food for comfort and control, strived for a size 8 since I was 12 (ludicrous in hindsight), and it is still something I am fastidious about now, albeit not sooo obsessively as it once was. I have 3 older sisters and I know that they also have had the same battles with food, the eldest is 43 and a size 6, but she thinks she looks great although in reality she looks nearly 50 and haggard. The second sister (41) is a size 8 and was anorexic, when she was 15 she was 5.5 stone, and when she carried her twins to 42 weeks, her skin (because she was only 7 stone when she was pregnant and only put on 1.5 during the pregnancy) strecthed so much that she had 2 feet of excess skin with not elasticity, she is permanently disfugured because of problems with food. The third sister (40) is a size 16, but fluctuates between that and a size 10 every 18months or so.

For all of us it has been about control and comfort, I have seen it affect all my sisters and all my nieces as well (4 all over 20), and none of the nephews.

HHxx

Trinny is far far too thin isnt she realy when you look at her and shes got a bit of a trout pout going on.Plus there doestn appear to be any lines on her face her face doesnt move.A bit odd for a women in her late 30s i think my 14 daughter has more lines and crows feet.

I prefer suzannas body shape at least she can fill her jeans and tops although she is a bit of a dragon.

Hi hev >:D<<'>

Well you are certainly not alone on this score! All my life i have been a nice svelt size 12.....that was until callum was dx with AS. From then on it has been a constant battle with food and as a result am now a 16. It's been a horrible viscious circle, the more i put on the more i ate to comfort. Anyway finally after a few months of eating and crying i went to the DR's and was dx with depression. Knocked me for siz as i am normally life and sole of the party and now i barely leave the house unless it is to pick callum up from school. I didn't want to go on tablets so she advised on natural things to see how it goes.

Well i have started yoga, and i can say it is fantastic, really makes you feel positive. I now walk my son to school and daughter to nursery (an hr round trip). This alone is making a big difference to how i feel and i now feel my mood lifting, not much but it's a step in the right direction. I have been advised to take the St John's wort supplement as this is good for depression.....apparently, i haven't tried it as yet.

Now at t-time i have a smaller plate and do smaller portions for myself as i was always having the same as my fiance. I have now stopped eating after 7pm. and finally i have changed from white bread/pasta/rice to wholemeal. It was hard at 1st especially with the pasta and rice so i started mixing white and whoemeal to get used to the taste and gradually weaned myself of the white....god it's like being a baby again!!

Will keep you informed how i get on...only started monday!

Keep your chin up, it's a hole you will get out of. I have my 30th and my own wedding coming up so if that isn't enough insentive i don't know what will be.....here goes..... :pray:

Hiya all

I think the key is excercise and also re-educating how you deal with food. For example, when the kids were in bed - i would go and raid the cupboards and throw food down my throat without it even touching the sides of my mother. Also when i get stressed - I eat. I am know doing my excercise dvd every night - one section only takes 17 minutes. ................

Last year I joined Rosemary Conley class - she talks alof of sense and for the price of a fiver you get exercise, a chat and get weighed. I lost some weight last year but it all went back on. So i have started again this year....................

How about if we start an online slimming class or is that a stupid idea?

Forbsay

xx

i went to my slimming class today and ive put on 2 pound again,been going for 7 months so obviously its not working,i do not want to be thin,i want not to have a unhealthy obsession with food,i would like to get to the root of my problems cos till they are sorted im going to have this unhealthy relationship with food,i dont know where to start,am going to make appointment at docs,i think i need to see a counsellor.

exercising,walking especially makes me feel good,im not a gym kind of girl,like swimming but its too cold at moment,should get motivated but find it hard

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Hev,

If we over eat as a lot of us do, this tends to slow our metabolism down. I found using the CSIRO diet a good easy guide to portions sizes, and as you said gyms can get boring after a while, sometimes walking gets boring too but take some music along this makes it better boppy happy stuff will get you moving.

Can anyone recommend some good music to exercise too.

Another thing is joining a team sport where people are expecting you to turn up, it is harder to say no; I don't feel like exercising, if someone is expecting you, - tennis groups, golf, any other suggestions anyone.

Do you have any indoor heated swimming pools near you, perhaps they would have aqua aerobics

Regards

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

hello,ive got a heated pool 5 minutes away!!feel bit better now ive got my worries out in the open,i find it hard to talk but on this site my worries just come out easily,as you can tell!!