Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

Dilemma

Don't know what the Aussie $ to ? Sterling exchange rate is...somehow I imagine it is going to around ?3-400 they are asking...way toooo much. Time for a lesson in economic reality! Work for it if you want it!

Hi

It's a classic rip off!

The only thing you can do is use this as an example of how people try to rip you off - and if she's set on getting photos of her all dressed/made up, then arrange to do it all again - this time with a local hairdresser and professional photographer, with an agreed up front rate.

Elanor

I would book a planned photo with a professional so you already know what you are paying in advance. The one you have done always put you at a funny handle so you pay for the more expensive photos

Jen

OOH, this is really nasty isn't it, they know as soon as you see the photos you are going to want them.

But that is a ridiculous price! Your daughter must be so disappointed. :(

Like others have said, could you phone around and find a reasonable photographer and get her hair

and make up done by someone reasonable too. Maybe if you are successful your daughter will go

for that instead.

Sorry Hailey, this is a tough one isn't it.

Brook

OMG thats a big dip in the bank balance even if she is going to pay them off its alot of money.... Like everyone said it seems to be a rip off. Maybe you could find a different studio for alot cheaper...

justamom

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I bet that there were far more than 7 callers who actually got this package. It sound like a real con - however your daughter is young and has her dreams. She found out that sometimes dreams cost :( If she really can - and will - pay for the photographs then maybe she should be allowed to do so? But I would explore the possibility of another photographer first. The problem there will be that the pics wont follow the makeover and she may not feel at her best.

If this sound like giving in to her whims then I apologise but we were all young once and life can throw us some really difficult calls.

>:D<<'> Carole

Edited by carole

Do they give you any free prints at all? Im thinking you could copy it, have it blown up or maybe a special effect, at a 'snappy snaps' shop.

Or maybe you could arrange another session, with friends or family doing hair, make up whatever, even hire a dress (still be cheaper than photos) then using a digital camera you could perhaps get some really beautiful shots? Arrange them in a fab album and HEY...

These scams are so hurtful and a waste of every ones energy! :(

Hope you get things sorted.

redberry

Hi Hailey,

This is a really difficult one. I'd go with what others have suggested and see if you can find her a better deal. Having said that, if she's anything like my daughter, (who, once her mind is made up, it stays made), she won't want to listen to you!

If she can fund it herself and isn't expecting you to fork out, I'd let her do it, painful though it may be to you to see this amount of money go to waste. She can decide for herself if it was really worth it when she has to go without something else.

K x

Hi hailey -

Company's over here have been working this one for YEARS... Honestly, hun, book her in with a local photography and he'll make her up a better portfolio for a fraction of the cost, and it'll be original too...

these rip off ones are all exactly the same (orange or blue lighting and extreme soft focus) and not worth their weight in manure from a professional POV... One other thing she didn't 'win' anything... first seven callers - what's the criteria for winning??- the next night on a different channel (and in magazines all over the country) other 'lucky' winners were lucky enough to add THEIR 800 dollars to the photographers bank balance...

L&P and a damn good :angry::angry::angry:

BD :D

Guest hallyscomet

Hi All >:D<<'>

I think I will get J. to sit and read your posts, this might help her decide, what she wants to do. It is going to be a very hard decision, as all the settings were really beautiful, and she looked so pretty. Personally I feel they will be worth $800 dollars to me she looked like a million dollars, ###### they are it is so heart breaking for her. They had the gall to sit us down and show us these prices as we arrived, you had her heart set on getting the photos done, when I showed her the prices I could see her heart sink with disappointment, the poor thing has been through a really tough time lately and the whole thing was to boost her self esteem. Makes me hopping mad, so I reached over to her and said dont worry honey, we will just go ahead with it and worst comes to worse we will only buy the mini album. Hopefully she can use these to copy and paste onto a disk and then we could get them printed larger, but the only problem is that will a 3"x3" photo enlarge into anything worth enlarging, otherwise I will say forget it.

I had a feeling it was a crock of s..t first seven callers, I said to J. I bet everyone that rang up was the first seven caller.

Built the cost of the photosession hair and makeup into the cost of the photos, nothing was free, at the end of the day.

I was telling a friend of mine over here she said okay I and all my family are all going to book individual sessions and when it comes to viewing the photos we will all say eeewww these photos are terrible, are you sure these were taken by a professional photographer, I don't like any of these, as a pay back :lol::lol: if only, but the problem is they make you fill in bank details or they will charge you $95 dollars if you miss your appointment for the photosession and then again another $95. if you fail to turn up to the viewing session. SOB's.

Any way, thank you all for your replies, it has given us something to think about, and I believe it may help J to make up her mind what she wants to do.

Regards

Hailey

>:D<<'>

My suggestion would be this:

If they are a con (and there is every reason to believe they are), then you should be able to do it again. Why?

Well, this time, before you go set up a room (at home or whatever) as a set for taking your own photos. Then redo the whole makeover thing, don't buy any of the photos, go home and re-enact the photoshoot with your own camera. :devil:

Result: free makeover and as many photos of whatever size you want :thumbs:

Hope that helps

Hi Hailey,

I know it's a rip off, it really is.As Baddad says they do it over here too, the only thing is if your daughter really wants them and is willing to pay for them I don't see the problem. I always wrote Music and when I was 16, went into a studio and recorded one of my songs, well my mum paid for it and the sense of acheivement I had was awesome, it was played on the radio as part of a program about music in schools and I still have it (nearly 18 years later).The things that are important to us when we are younger sometimes keep us going later on!!

Hope she comes to a decision that she is happy with.

All the best

Love Fi

There is no need to do anything immediatley.

I would ask her to wait a few days before commiting that kind of money, then speak to a local photographer with a good reputation and arrange a paid-for session where the costs are up-front, the total bill will be less that this firm that offers the 'free' session are charging. If need be you can pay for a makeover at abeauty parlour first. Some parlours know the local photographers and vice versa so you may find you can gat a package put together for much less than this which will give you much better results.

The sort of money this studio is talking about should buy an entire album of full-sized photographs. I would feel no guilt at all in telling them where they can put their photos.

If she is really set on these photos wait a few weeks. When the stuido realise that they aren't going to get any money at their up-front prices thay may get back in touch with some kind of better offer.

If theu have given you any small samples, you could always get busy with photoshop, a scanner and an inkjet printer.........

Simon