Sign in to follow this  
Paula

Sex education lessons for As son

Picture the scene me and my daughter sat reading at tea time and son playing on the ps2.

Suddenly outta no where he says " i know where babies come from"

You could have heard a pin drop as me and my daughter glanced over at each other.

Oh right i said.

He then went into all the details of eggs,tadpoles,tubes, seeds cell division ect ect............ :blink:

I said to him is this some sort of special lesson youre haveing at school. But i was met with silence and he said no more on the subject .So im left with me mind boggling !!!!!!!!!!

No doubt well get in full detail the next installment probably when hes at his grandmas saturday night id better warn them. :D

HI Paula

I could picture the scene, :D kieran told his nana 3 days ago that he wanted to be a girl because he was a girl last time???? Not the same thing but equally mind boggling.

Good luck with further conversations

shaz

Hi Paula

How old is your son?

My son had a video in year 6 which the parents were invited to see first. Apparently it hadn't been used before. Unfortunately I couldn't go but some of the other parents were shocked and said that it covered things that children of that age don't need to know.

The senior school have just done the same thing and they coped much better with it at that age.

I'd Bought hubby a pressie ( condoms :wub: ) anyway they were in a bag waiting to be taken upstairs and hidden when Cara came in with the bag and said " Daddy's " :o:oops: How she knew that i do not know, i asked hubby and grandma ( she was there when i bought them ) and they hadn't mentioned it to her :o

I'm sure she's been here before :hypno:

Clare

I don't think knowing the technical details is a problem, Com was asking very specific questions at 3 and we answered them as best we could, since then he has read books and had some fairly open discussions about sex.

The problem I find with it all is the relationship and feelings aspect which means nothing to Com yet but is so important for his happiness in the future.

Zemanski

I think that it all depends on the AS child how this information is received and understood and then acted upon. I have twice now helped parents who saw the otherside of the coin after their sons had sex education, without them being given any warning, and the outcome for both parents was probably something that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares. I am not saying this to worry anyone but it sure as hell made me sit up and smell the coffee.

For one child it became one of his topics and he became totally obsessed. He ran round the yard trying to catch and kiss the girls and pinned them down while he was doing so. There were numerous complaints from the parents and at the moment this child is out of school. Once the other children had cottened on to what was happening they egged him on because they thought that it was funny. He was vunerable and unaware and had not even fully understood what he had been told. When his parents tried to explain that this was something that adults who love each other do, he started declaring his love for every girl in the school. I found this very sad. :(

The other child ended up being removed from his school altogether and is now attending a Special School. Again he was egged on by others who felt it was funny watching. This boy was desperate for friends and so complied with the instructions. We ended up having to find an advocate for the child and the parent. It all got really messy and he almost ended up with another very unsavory label as well as his AS.

I apologise for turning this into a heavy topic but it made me realise that we parents do need prior warning so that we can assess if our children are indeed ready for sex education and how we feel they may receive this information. David was 10 when he had his first installment in junior school and to this day I know that he finds it all very upsetting. He was quite shocked and disgusted that we 'share' the intimate parts of our body with each other. Matthew is a totally different kettle of fish. He loves girls and I know for a fact it would simply give him a green light and a signal that he is nowhere near ready to receive.

Carole

Edited by carole

My son is 12. And we were told that they would be teaching sex education to the kids at this age wed to sign a form to say we were ok with it and the kids could take part in the lessons.He attends a special school all the kids are basically on the autistic spectrum.

Its amazeing what they pick up though.

Were not the sort of family who rushes to switch of the tv if a sex scene comes on or if say theres a same sex kiss or anything.It doesnt bother us and there fore it doesnt bother the kids.Im saying kids As son is 12 NT daughter is 14.

I remeber when my daughter was only 7 years old and she announced at the top of her voice in a supermarket que " Will i get blood in my knickers when im older too" I thought hell fire we went home had a conversation and i bought a book on periods for young girls and shoved it in her bedroom with a note saying any more questions ask me or youre auntie.It was a book aimed at the under 12s.

Like i say we can talk about anything with our kids.My daughter feels happy enough to tell me about her mates and pregnancy scares or the fact that a couple of the lads are smoking weed and knows i wont kick off about it.But am happy that she feels she can tell me these things.Weve talked openly about the morning after pill,condoms,what lads of 14 are after ect ect...........The same with our son if he asks we tell.

I think its a very nieve parent who assumes there kids no nothing and that teenage gilrs and boys do nothing more than hold hands with a so called boy or girlfreind.Ive told my daughter id rather she told me what was happening and took precautions rather than ending up pregnant anyday.

Its also very important to explaine about hiv and other diseases.

Not all agree my sister included but im a realist.

on a lighter note Our son announced yesterday hed been dumped.Apparently for being annoying and farting all the time !!!!!!!!!!! Sounds to me like hes just like every other male around.Hes gonna have to revamp the old chat up line he uses againe of im famous and have money in the bank

Edited by Paula

Our son announced yesterday hed been dumped.Apparently for being annoying and farting all the time !!!!!!!!!!! Sounds to me like hes just like every other male around.Hes gonna have to revamp the old chat up line he uses againe of im famous and have money in the bank.

:lol:

My daughter's very rational view of the whole business:

Eating and sex are both biological activities. So if people can eat in public why can't they have sex in public?

I couldn't think of an answer to that one. :huh:

K

I'm sure my eldest NT son has had sex ed lessons - he is 15.

He believes he's a "man of the world" but he's still got some learning to do. He likes buying badges and showed me one which said: "Take me to your Beaver" ... I left it to his dad to explain :lol:

He's bought another one and hubbs said: "I'm going to have to do some explaining again!". What did this one say? JAILBAIT :oops:

Daisy

I wish my Nt daughters badges were as tame as that.

Her say F**** adoodle doo, F**** off alsorts of terrible things. :D She has them all over her school bag and wears them to her grandmas.Some of them are very explicit.

Now year i suppose i should have said oh yer not haveing badges like that and come over all victorian but what would be the point.Shed buy them and wear them any way and wed end up argueing.Teenagers like to rebel a bit.They do it for the shock factor when they dont get the reaction they think there gonna get they soon get fed up and move onto something else.

Some of my daughters outfits leave very little to the imagination.Ive pointed out that boys men whatever will think xmas has come early and for gods sake please dont bend over.Againe yer cant force developing adults to conformn to what you want them to do.You can only advise and hope for the best.

The thing is your NT daughter knows what she's doing, Com would have no idea what most of those things meant or what the social implications might be - could be just a embarrasing for him if he found out by accident :oops:

Z

Sorry i'm a bit late to this thread but wanted to add my son had sex education at school as well he is 12 and he came home and told me he had been learning about the "Egg and Spoon" today.

God love him!!!

Sorry for being a bit late on this post - only just came across this one. My daughter last year came home upset because she'd been shown a video in school of a woman giving birth (Year 7). Apparently they had been given a letter the week before giving info about the lessons and should you object to please contact the school - of course she wasn't in school the week before so missed having the letter. We've also had upsets over info on STI's - obsessed that what if she catches this when she's older!!! and if she has to use protection then how would she be able to have children - although she doesn't want children because of the blood and pain - and round and round in circles!!!!

She's fine with the drawings and function side of everything though!!

My son did mention the word "relationship" when he was telling us about all hed learnt so im assumeing there saying you should be in a loveing relationship type of thing.

We had another installement sunday night.He boldley announced that he had a penis and me and his sister had a vagina :blink::blink: