jomica

Can anyone recommend a book

Hello

We're just introducing my eight year old son to his diagnosis of HFA after about six months of leading up to it in response to his questions about himself and his differences.

We've spent a lot of time talking about individual aspects of the diagnosis but, until now, we haven't given it a name. It's getting to the stage now where he needs a name for it and some language to be able to understand his diagnosis.

Can anyone recommend a good book that we can read with him which might help - one that he can also take away and look at when he wants? His language isn't perfect - he reads well, but often doesn't understand complicated words or words that don't come into his narrow field of interest.

I was looking at a description for "what does it mean to have autism?" by Louise Spillsbury, but can't find any useful reviews. Has anyone used this, or any other book, that they can recommend?

Many thanks,

Hi Jomica,

Sorry but I havnt read any books so far apart from Tony Attwoods one but this isnt really for an 8 yr old. What I would say is you could try going into Amazon and doing a search there. I did this and my foggy memory tells me there are a few books written from the person with the ASD's perspective, with a couple specifically from someone with high functioning autism or aspergers. Sorry cant come up with the names but amazon does have reviews on most of their books so you can at least browse these. Hope this was of some help.

Blue Bottle Mystrey An Asperger Adventure by Kathy Hoopman.

It's for Asperger, kind of a story about a child with Asperger about his adventure and how he comes to get his Diagnosis. lovely read, not sure if it's what you're looking for though

Edited by stressedmumto2

We read The Blue Bottle Mystery and it is a good book. My NT son coudl see the similarities, but my two Aspie sons didn't see what was so strange about his funny little ways! So it wasn't really helpful to them.

www.jkp.com

Has two books "Can I tell you about Aspergers Syndrome?" and "Different Croaks for Different Folks", which may be the sort of thing you are looking for - or try the NAS site. T had a book "Asperger Syndrome and how it affects me", but it was for older children really.

Karen

"Can I tell you about Aspergers Syndrome?"

I second this recommendation. I have a copy of this put aside for if/when we get a dx for my son. You're welcome to borrow it if you like. PM me if you're interested.

Karen

x

HI >:D<<'>

Kathy Hoopmann has written as well "OF mice and aliens, an asperger adventure" it is not specificaly for children but may be you could find some ideas there or read it to your son.

I am at the same point with mine where I am trying to explain a bit more about the differences between him and the others I have look for books but the one I found was more for adolescent, I will have to do some search about it if anything interesting comes up I will post it here. :rolleyes:

Take care. :)

Malika.

Hi

Can definitely recommend 'Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome' by Jude Welton. used this recently with my 10 year old. It was very basic - I have been saving it to use since he was 8!

A

Asperger Syndrome, the Universe and Everything - by Kenneth Hall

This was the first book that our daughter read and she gained a lot from reading this. It is written by a boy who has Aspergers - I think he was around 8'ish when he wrote it.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I'm just off to our local ASD "library" (run by our support group) to see which ones I can pick up from there.

All the best & thanks again!

Asperger Syndrome, the Universe and Everything - by Kenneth Hall

This was the first book that our daughter read and she gained a lot from reading this. It is written by a boy who has Aspergers - I think he was around 8'ish when he wrote it.

I've just ordered this book from Amazon - the example pages looked good. Not arrived yet.

There's also this book, called Aspergers- what does it mean to me? A workbook Explaining Self Awareness & Life Lessons to the Child or Youth with High Functioning Autism or Aspergers- Structured Teaching Ideas for Home & School.. by Faherty, Catherine.

It's quite pricey but it is a simple, practical, easy to understand, step by step guide to work through with the child. I couldn't afford the price when I saw it at an education conference but I managed to get it on loan from a resource library. I then photocopied the relevant bits for my son. It's one of the most accessible books for children and adults to share IMO.

When I read the Kathy Hoopman books (Blue Bottle Mystery, Lucy and the Lacemaker) to my son, he was quite excited when he said, "Hey! That's just like me!" It was nice he could relate to a character for a change. I know Curious Incident of a dog in the nightime is supposed to be a childrens book, but if so, I would say teenage child?