DaisyProudfoot

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Just wondered what your kids ambitions are?

I was watching a programme last night called The 7-Year Old Surgeon - about a young Indian lad (aged 12) who wants to find the cure for cancer - he's also a self-taught surgeon :blink: . He was an obvious aspie although that wasn't mentioned in the film.

Anyway my AS 9-year old wants to be a builder - he's even asked about how to become an apprentice and particularly wants to be a brickie. And he is also going to star in his AS friend's films too. :D

Com wants to be a molecular or genetic engineer :blink:

At his careers interview the teacher turned to me in and actually asked 'is that realistic?' - the cheek of it, she had his records in front of her, she could see what school thinks he's capable of and that he's G&T for science and maths :wallbash:

I am sort of hoping he's going to change his mind, the reason he want to be a genetic engineer is so he can experiment with gene splicing to create wierd and wonderful new things, at the moment it's hybrids of dragon fruit and blueberries but I'm not sure where his imagination will lead after that, he's obsessed with dragons though :o:lol:

Who did that kid practice on? :sick:

Zemanski

Who did that kid practice on? :sick:

Zemanski

Everyone and anyone is would seem - in his Indian village he was regarded as a Guru (kind of like Krishna) and people prefer to put their trust in Gurus than in doctors where he lives.

It was quite sad really. His dad fought to have his son's intelligence recognised before suffering a breakdown, he told the boy not to contact him again until he had found the cure for cancer. Seems a great burden to place on a young child.

Finally he was brought over to Imperial College in London where he impressed scientists and doctors with his knowledge and in return they suggested he learned to be a child and then come back to work with them.

I seen that docu Daisy. I found it really interesting and no way in **** was that kid gonna give out his secret to the 2 professors at the Imperial College! LOL

He did operate successfully on seperating a young girls fingers that were burnt in a fire some years earlier and they are stuck in a fist like position. Her father said he couldn't afford for real doctors to do it so approached this young lad instead and whom in turn agreed to operate.

When he was in London, a child Pysch did some tests with him which brought back startling results!! His verbal score was great but his block sorting (the cubes one where you have to copy the shown patterns) was wayyyy belong average. Neither mother nor son were happy with the results which apparently he passed with flying colours in America and another country!

I remember when my son was 5, we had a birthday party with an entertainer. He got a few kids up at the front and was going along the line asking them what their name was and what they wanted to be when they grew up. It went along the line with the kids speaking into the microphone, "my name's Tom and I want to be a fireman, I'm Joe and I want to be a train driver...etc." gets to my son, and he announces his full name, I'm J... H.... B......, and I want to be a obstetrician!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol: Unfortunately the entertainer then proceeded to ask him if he knew what an obstetrician was, BIG MISTAKE, he then went on to describe to the whole room in detail!

He's 11 now and has said he would like to be an animal rights lawyer or an author and most definitely NOT an obstetrician!!

Lisa

Oops, forgot to add my reply to the OP question! LOL

T (6) did want to become a teacher but now he wants to be a policeman! Aww bless! :D

Ask me again next week and the answer may br different! :lol:

Com wants to be a molecular or genetic engineer

At his careers interview the teacher turned to me in and actually asked 'is that realistic?' - the cheek of it, she had his records in front of her, she could see what school thinks he's capable of and that he's G&T for science and maths.

I am sort of hoping he's going to change his mind, the reason he want to be a genetic engineer is so he can experiment with gene splicing to create wierd and wonderful new things, at the moment it's hybrids of dragon fruit and blueberries but I'm not sure where his imagination will lead after that, he's obsessed with dragons though.

Hasn't the school heard of a thing called biochemistry? A degree in biochemistry is the usual route to a career in genetic engineering.

School careers advisors are hopeless when it comes to technical careers. They are used to dealing only with things like lorry drivers, restaurant waiters, and salesmen in MFI. I told my career advisor I wanted to become an electronic engineer. First he thought I wanted to become an electrician, then a factory worker, then a BT telephone installation technician. I then told him I wanted to go to university. His reply was to do A Levels.

Well, for ages my son wanted to work in M*donalds, K*C, or Bur*ger K*ng!

but he only wanted to do the cooking. :D

His ambitions have certainly taken a turn, he now wants to create his own DS game,

also wants to make his own star wars film.

He says he will make alot of money and buy me a shiny ring from Argos. :wub:

Well, thats my old age pension sorted. :D

Brook

Dunno - haven't made my mind up yet...

DOH! It's for the kids!!!! :wacko::wacko::whistle:

BEN wants to be a pro golfer, though he sometimes hovers towards being a chef...

:D

hiya all,

c's obsessions is with all things vehicular at the moment so all his ambitions involve driving things :wub: ( trains,lorries, tractors, jcb's, cars, motorbikes. i don't think he really minds what so long as it has wheels and an engine!) the only problem with that is he finds the noise intimidating at the moment :lol:

though, with him only being nearly 3, i think there's gonna be plenty more before he makes his mind up :D

he has said he wanted to be in a band, but then he broke his guitar, so i think that'll be waiting a while now, bless him!

i keep telling him i don't mind what he does but he has to work hard if he wants to earn enough money to get the pretty ladies and sexy cars (mercenary i know but it keeps him motivated :whistle: )

not many of my family actually completed school (i've only got 3 gcse's, which i did at college cos i dropped out of school despite being predicted all a's.) so i'm hoping that with a combo of good support and bribary tactics ( ?5 for c-grades, ?10 for b's and ?15 for a's, or the interest rate equivelent once he's the right age) he'll have the motivation to put the effort in!

saying that, i'll love him regardless!!!

kinky j

:lol::lol::D

Dunno - haven't made my mind up yet...

DOH! It's for the kids!!!! :wacko::wacko::whistle:

Right at this very moment - a racing driver, or a computer-games tester......or one of the X-Men (flame-on! - COOL! lol :P ). But give it a day ....... (or twenty minutes :blink:) ........ and i'm sure that will change.

We had the whole - 'What are you going to be when your older' conversation the other night.... He's never getting married (eughhhhh! Muuummmmmmm!) and is never living in his own house ... 'I'm going to stay with you mummy...' :blink::P

Daisy - I watched that programme. I felt really sorry for that kid when he was talking about his dad. His dad had told him that he will see him again when (and only when) he finds a cure for Cancer!! Poor kid :o No pressure then....... :huh:

I've got one who wants to be a conceptual artist and one who wants to be a film director - they could end up working together. :lol:

My little fim director has promised me a part in his first film. :wub:

K x

K wants to be a Vet - which is so strange because he is so afraid of animals and hates a dog bark - he is getting better at touching cats so there is hope.

My dd wants to be a marine bilogyist (sp) - she loves dolphins..

justamom

When I grow up I want to be elegant, with matching boots and handbags for every occasion!! :lol:

Auriel wants to do something in films.

Bid :D

Hi,

Kai wants to build "the best model railway in the world" and charge ?30 a ticket to get in! He's already planned all the different layouts and who is going to work there. Apparently i'm going to work on the till. Thanks!

Loulou x

My daughter always wanted to be an Archaeologist - until recently when her list has gone from 1 to 3 choices as she would quite like to be either a lawyer or a IT graphics designer (games etc).!!

C is going to run his own company and has already designed the logo (the most important part) though possibly not the product. He also plans to buy his own island (with private jet) so that he can be completely in charge and make all the laws himself.

In his spare time he is going to run a narrow-gauge railway, helped by his friend E, who he plans to marry, though he has also asked A, as 'that way one of them can sell tickets while the other one looks after the children'.

School say he suffers from lack of ambition...

My eight-year-old (AS) is going to be a computer games tester; my six-year-old (ASD) a teacher at his school and my three-year-old son fluctuates between being a lady or a dragon.

Apparently, my husband is already grown up so he will just be 'old'.

DS (10) wants to be a palaeontologist (since he was 2) and will work either in Montana or Mongolia (hasn't made his mind up yet).....oh, and at the weekends, he'll be a chef in his own restaurant - just so long as he doesn't have to touch the food! :sick:

A

My son used to say he was going to be a scientist, later he was going to be the boss in a huge company and be very rich, and he was also going to be the PM :D He's suddenly become a teenager and now when I ask him he says, "I have no idea!"

Curra

Well Asa wants to be Chef because he is good at making Angel Delight!!! and he said of his baby brother ... "Griffin will either deliver pizzas on a motorbike or be a Policeman!!!) LOL, I don't know which is the most dangerous these days!

Col wants to be a postman -

he want to be the one to deliver happy thoughts like birthday cards and things to people.

Havnt mentioned Bills yet??? bless

William used to want to work in safeway :blink: He now wants to make plasticine animated movies (like Nick Parkes)

Luke wants to be a praying mantis :lol:

I think Susie would like a job where she could watch telly and eat chocolate.

And I'd like to be a multi millionaire

Lauren

STOP THIS

YOUR ARE ALWAYS UNDERMINING ME

YOU DONT BELIEVE I HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR ANYTHING

I WILL BE A FIREENGINE MAN

WITH A BRIGHT RED FIRE ENGINE

AND I WILL FIGHT FIRES!!!

JUST YOU SEE!

AND NOW YOU LAUGH AT ME

THE WORLD LAUGHS AT ME

AM I AM NOT AN ITEM OF COMEDY

I AM JUST MISSUNDERSTOOD

YOU ARE THE PROOF!

IM NOW INCLINED TO WEAR COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF EYELINER

WEAR BLACK CLOTHING

DIE MY HAIR SIMILARLY

WRITE SELF DEPRECIATORY POETRY

AND SMOKE CLOVE CIGARETTES

AND GO TO CLUBS WEAR THERES OTHER PEOPLE SIMILARLY ATTIRED

SO I CAN APPRECIATE MY INDIVIDUALITY

THAT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL UNDERSTAND

MY PRESSING NEED TO BE A FIREENGINE MAN

Erm... Is that.... eyeliner you're wearing?

Yes, but only a little sir... In sacred memory of my dear departed mother...

[Captain Lockheed and the Star Fighters - Bob Calvert]

I'm the right stuff, baby the right stuff, the right stuff baby the right stuff.........

CLOVE cigarettes???

Apologies, Daisy, for boosting your thread!

L&P

BD :D

No apologies needed Mr Judge Sir :P

BTW My eldest son (15) has just started wearing eye-liner and calling himself an EMO. Dunno what that is but it looks like a cross between a Goth and a New Romantic :lol::lol::lol:

..................and HE wants to work in Antarctica as a GeoPhysicist ..........I'm worried the makeup might freeze though :blink:

If i had a son that was EMO i would throttle him with his own hairstraighteners...

Emo is 'emotional punk' - punk tended to be political, but the new wave is more personal for the iGeneration. It's mostly about how miserable life is (as in Simple Plan's "God Must Hate Me"), which is why it is also known as 'dead girlfriend music' :lol: Intelligent rebels.

Dress: very similar to the beat generation of the 50's but with out the beret- mainly black, loose fitting, baggy clothes and sneakers (used to have to be All Star till they were bought up by Nike). And the obligatory moody cigarette.

Bands: Green Day are losing thier emo cred because they've gone political, but there are plenty of others - Dashboard Confessional, Matchbook Romance, Something Corporate (often bizarre, intriguing names). There's more attention paid to the lyrics than with most modern pop bands, often being about how hard it is to be an outsider (there's even one track - I forget who did it) about Camus' L'Etranger ("The Outsider")

Their favourite movie would probably be 'Harold and Maude' if any of them had heard of it.

Edited by littlenemo

Your common EMO does but two things in life; write self depreciatory poetry (see my previous post), and cry.

As well as black, they wear red stripes, and are most likely to die due to O.Ding on hair straighteners.

And it must be added, all music looks down on EMO music, even Dutch Techno.

"How many EMOs does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"Three- one to change it, two to write poetry on how much they miss it! ho ho ho ho ho"

Edited by Auriel