DaisyProudfoot

Interests and Obsessions

I Just thought I'd start this thread because I'm nosey really and would like to know what the interests/obsessions are of your ASD child/partner/self.

I ask this because I remember when I was a kid I could tell you anything and everything about the aircraft and ships that fought in the Falklands War, everything about TV programmes The Professionals, Starsky and Hutch and the A Team, everything about books such as Famous Five, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and stuff by H Rider Haggard too. :blink:

My husband was and still is mad about Tolkein and knows both elvish languages - one's Sidarin and Quenya - and he can bore you to tears about Tanks. Never, ever watch a war film with him because he's bound to pick faults "that tank is wrong, that's the xxx design which didn't get built until 1954" or whatever. :hypno:

And my AS son's latest interest is Welsh, I don't know what other 9 year old's read but I'm pretty certain it isn't a Welsh/English dictionary :lol::lol:

Hi Daisy.. Great topic :thumbs:

At the moment these are our obsessions

William - Sonic the Hedgehog (long standing obsession of 8 years). Runescape. Lemony Snickett books. Head lice :blink: Making flash movies using plasticine figures.

Luke - Plasticine (and the movies incorporating it... Wallace and Grommit). Darliks. Trains and busess. Insects, particularly the Praying Mantis. Plumbing systems.

Me - sudoku (I can't get enough of them but hate them, and when I start one I can't leave it until I'm finished). Oh, and getting back down to a size 10 :pray:

Lauren

Scott (ASD) is completely obsessed with fixing things and cars. He often blends the two together and takes his car apart to put it back together again. He is currently driving his fourth car, he was a bit upset the other weekend because someone smashed the back windscreen of it :angry: But he cheered up when he realised it was another thing that needed fixing!

Every cloud hey....! :D

William - Runescape.

This. Scott has been obsessed with this for aaaages! i dont even understand it! I just know it causes arguments between him and his kid brother.

Hi :D

We always refer to kieran's obsessions as "his circle of interests" Because over the years his ossessions have been many, but he will drop one thing (all of a sudden) to move onto something else that is 'in his circle'. before we bought the gamecube he used to play on the old nintendo and after months of playing sonic the hedgehog he came home one day and asked for the old nintendo and his james bond game, which is now 'his thing' but the gamecube and sonic will always continue to be in his circle and when he does go back to them he will just get more intense.

His circle of interests are as follows

James Bond (one particular game for the nintendo, he's not that bothered with the films, he repeats the same level and then continues to play it over in his mind as he 'plays his levels' later = see bathplug)

Water (anywhere) he went through a faze of holding his head under water and trying to keep his eyes open - needless to say his baths are now supervised

Drains (he has always had an interest in these, i think its because they contain water)

Bouncy castles - a long standing obsession which he drops between the months of november to may (due to cold weather) this started out as a fear after we hired one for his sisters birthday party. He screamed when it was switched on but by the end of the day he was facinated by the fan at the back, and drove everyone insane with his questions about them.

Bathplug - This is his 'private thing' This was very frustrating at first as he kept pinching the bathplug and when anyone went for a bath, couldn't find the damn thing. We couldnt work out what was happening to them, until one day i saw him in his bedroom happily spinning the latest purchase, completly away in his own world. So the next day i bought 3 more plugs and attached them to short bits of shoelace and put them in his room. So we were all happy, we got to have a bath without searching and he got to spin his plug (which is a real stress reliver for him) NOW this is where james bond and his plug combine... He 'plays' his levels (from the game) whilst making noises and spinning his plug (and often himself) God forbid the moment you disturb him though, as that makes him kick off and then he has to start from the beginning. Which can then last upto an hour.

A Particular video. - One of our friends is in a local band, and he once gave a video from the Halesworth gig (as we couldnt make it) and since that day that video has belonged to Kieran, when he's on a halesworth phase he lives sleeps breaths the video every question, every moment, the tape is nearly broken in places because of all the rewinding. Thankfully he's not been back to this for a while (thats gonna come back and bite me in the bum later isnt it ! :lol: )

The washing machine (water and spinning)

The tumble dryer (just the spinning)

But quite litrally anything that he clocks as interesting just the once can become an obsession. He doesnt have any collections and rarely lines things up, but to do that for him are his siblings.

Our girl lines all sorts up and has routines of her own, and the eldest has had obsessions for star wars, dragonball z , and a collection of shiny sharp objects for years, But these two have therory of mind so are apparently NON ASD. ( :whistle: yeah right)

Heehee.

My obsession. - I cant help writing an autobigraphy for the simpliest of things :wub: Sorry about the length, You only asked a question. :whistle:

Take care

shaz

:lol: ..........these have made me giggle..............

J, started with vaccum cleaners as a toddler, then progressed to the lawn mower and then on to his passion TRACTORS :D .Currently he,s obsessed about his flight simulator game.Discoverey channel.The A team.Building models.Blu tac, stones, paper clips and cellotape.

Me on the other hand...............well I,m obsessed with Americas Next Top Model (programe)........midget gems....shopping and pinot grigio...........oh and getting my hair to go straight :huh:

my son picks up ANYTHING shiny, he has a little box where he keeps his treasures, also likes shiny stones, RED rubber bands (millions dropped by the postman everyday!) He will run into the road! if he spots a washer that has fallen off a car :blink:

When i was younger, i used to read dictionaries, the PHONE BOOK! and maps, I love at the moment to get lost in google earth!

A

another one with bath plug obsession

Pokemon

taping things up (had a bit of a strop cos I wouldn't buy him a roll of gaffa tape)

and now the weirdest oneof all - Monopoly!!!! He likes to get money from having mortgages!!!

I'm off to have a lie down. :huh:

M's latest and quite log standing one is electrical wires and well anything electrical!!! We have moved on from the line of electrical items across his room and now have designated boxes for all the elctrical bits. He has just persuaded my friend who works for a large company to raid the spare computer box and bring him home keyboards and other bits!!

He also collects leaflets. can be very frustrating when you pop to the bank and come home with half their literature. Also coins is a new one which tags on from his love of visiting museums (he is only 6).

And he talks non stop about God and Jesus. That one will certainly get a place in heaven for being so religious.

mum22boys

'NC1' 10 year old girl ASD - obsessed with horses lives breathes and is a horse apart from when she is at home when she becomes a rat (general theme of animals here) she can't do anything without her pet rat including eating and having a bath, either on her shoulder or down her top, drives me nuts!! She is also obssessed with death, she has been since about the age of 5, any human disaster she thinks is great and the more bodies she sees on telly the better, I have caught her sneeking into my room to try and watch CSI and holby city and casualty are a must for her although she gets upset when people survive!!

'NC2' 8 year old boy - no diagnosis as yet - obssessed with stones and money to the point at a horse show recently he decided to sell the hard core car park to the spectators for 50p a rock (he made ?5.50) 'm not sure if this counts as an obssession but he insists on playing tig all the time

K's obession is Charmed the telly programme, he eats, sleeps and you know what Charmed.... His other obessions included Harry Potter (its the magic theme he likes) and business cards.

Suze - I also love America next top model.... Who do you think is gonna win????

Justamom

i'm with you justamom i love ANTM and charmed

S is in dogs to the point that at the last count he has 40 toy ones on his bed and kind of sleeps on top of them and wont let anyone touch them keeps asking for a real one but the baby is scared of them so we can't have one yet

C (nt) bratz, harry potter and narnia she is only 8 but has read all the books and when we watch the films she comments on what has been missed out

the baby has a thing for taking her glasses off and throwing them she will even take off other people and throw theres away for them :crying:

Hi justamom and shell, on the subject of Americas Next Top Model............I think Nic will win :D .........don,t like Bre :fight: ..........and the other one Nicole?, is o.k.

Got to agree with you there, Bre very nasty the other night when she "thought" Nicole took her bar, i would like Nic to win she is so lovely.... I would not be disappointed in Nicole won but just not Bre she is mean...

Justamom

The little one is v into the cbeebies website, give him a day and he will fill it with, pointing and clicking. He goes thro different phases of which is best within the site, atm it is 'boogie beebies', oh and he likes me to dance along too!

He is also v into the video, but seems to prefere this if you sit with him and read your side ob the script of enact your part. Took me ages to work out why he spent one afternoon trying to get me to stand on him repeadedly, turned out to be the beginning of Ice Age. Have just brought it for him as we didn't own it and it seemed that was the only bit he could remeber, thought it might be best to get him passed that bit before we got a visit from social services!

My daughter, her latest obbsession seems to be throwing the biggest tantrum!

With Ds1 it's putting hats on people and pressing buttons at the moment.

With myself it's old fashioned detective stories and the internet (ahem!).

ASD son is mainly sealife/fish/anything in or to do with water and computers/gaming.

NT sons (well so far) dogs and electricals, at 4 a picture of a xmas tree only had lights on, in detail of where the lights had to go inc the plug socket :blink: lights are his fave when it comes to electricals.

Mine :whistle: some say its the internet

My four year old still loves doors preferably the automatic ones :rolleyes: He likes anything mechanical on the related theme so opeing and closing the CD or DVD player. He's very into numbers loves watching digital displays count up and down and has recently got very into the computer especially the CBeebies website

Lx

My son is fascinated by hypnotism and has been researching on the web how to hypnotise someone covertly. I'd be worried except that I assume you'd need sustained eye contact to pull it off :lol: