Sign in to follow this  
col

Wish me Luck

DD8 has got an app with her paed in the morning. I have suspected that she is ASD for a while. Her school as i have mentioned before are against me having her assessed. Mainly because the LEA could pull her out of her school if she did get her ASD dx.

I still want to know, but i don't want to place her school at risk. Hoping that the paed may know of a way to safe guard her school place.

The school are finally admitting that she does have some autistic tendences "but her primary need is in speech and language. Any autistic learning characteristics are an additional element to her needs." this is from her annual review letter to the LEA.

Also in the report is "can be hyper-sensitive to noises and can become upset, on occasions she will put her hands over her ears to block out the noise.

doesn't make good eye contact with adults or peers.

At times during the day will cry about things that are unrelated to school. Also has has a tendence to talk to herself in the playgroundhaving her own little chat with herself.

beginning to play with peers but needs the play to be structured. Finds imaginative play more difficult. Is now able to let other children in her class play alongside her.

Tends to learn in 'boxes' and is unable to transfer context from one situation to another. Can become upset when her concept of a situation is challenged and this can have an effect on her learning.

will seek adult attention if she feels another child is not doing the right thing, she has a very balck and white out look on life, either somethind is right or wrong. She also has little awareness of her audience and cannot read other peoples feelings.

Has a rigid understanding of social situations and finds social interactions quite challenging. When playing with her peers, she sometimes wants to take the lead and can become upset when they don't want to do what she wants. Also has a lack of imagination which can interfere with her interaction.

Has very high anxiety levels and can gget very distressed by noise. She also has a limited awareness of other children's needs and wants and is unable to see how other people feel. She doesn't like to break the rules and if another child doesn't do what she thinks is correct, then the rule is broken and she wuill need adult intervention.

This anxiety also applies to her work; feels she has to have the correcft answer and 'nearly right' will not satisfy her."

And they say she only has a few?????

DD8 has got an app with her paed in the morning. I have suspected that she is ASD for a while. Her school as i have mentioned before are against me having her assessed. Mainly because the LEA could pull her out of her school if she did get her ASD dx.

Hi,

first of all all the very best of luck for toady and I hope it goes well for you. What concerns me is the bit I have quoted above from your posting. On what grounds, and by whom, have you been told she could lose her school place if she is given a dx of an ASD? I suspect your were told this verbally rather than in writing but, if you di have this in writing hang on to it! If the LEA tried to implement this move soley on the basis of a dx (ie: without taking into account your daughters individual needs) they will be on very dodgy ground. Let us know how it goes and also the schools reaction.

ask the consultant to put in his written report that he and you feel she is in the best placement to suit her needs - a good consultant will back up your knowledge of her.

if she has a statement already the LEA may challenge the placement at an annual review but you have the right to state your preference and they must abide by it unless they have very good reasons against it, if the consultant and school back your choice then they will have a hard job acting against it.

stay strong

Zemanski

Verbally by her school unfortunately. As my LEA is all about "inclusion" and will find any reason to put SN children back in to mainstream or their own SN school's. DD8 attends a speech and lang school out of borough.

:thumbs::clap: went well. Got an app in 3 mths time as the paed needs to go through DD8 file. She has been with the paed since she was 23 months old and she is now 8 and a half. So there's lot's to go through. What ever happens in 3 mths time, in black and white it will be writtens as traits etc. :thumbs: Have had details changed so that information won't be available to others :pray:

So i think my backside and DD8 is now covered and school place is safe :pray:

col, glad it went well for you mate.

T has been under the Pead since he was just shy of 2yrs old. I knew back then what was wrong, it took me another 4yrs before he was finally dx in Nov last year. He is now 6yrs old.

Stick to your guns hun.