Viper

Talking over you.

I was trying to have a conversation with my AS DD 15 yrs tonight and she constantly talks over me. She never lets me finnish what I am saying before she starts talking. She has no idea of taking turns in a conversation.

I would be saying something and she would start another topic before I'd finished what I was saying, so we never really finished one topic before another one started. And she talks really loud and gets excited as she speaks.

I often think she shows little signs of her AS but then I notice something and realise it's still there. She has just got very good at hiding it.

Is this common in AS or is it just in AS girls?

J does it all the time and he's very much a boy!

Very often, in the middle of a sentence, he'll interrupt with "Mam..." and start on about something completely unrelated. This is even if I'm explaining something to him he's specifically asked about. I think he just gets fed up with me talking. Not that I ramble on or anything...

Karen

x

I often think she shows little signs of her AS but then I notice something and realise it's still there. She has just got very good at hiding it.

Keeegan does this all the time, i think its the turn taking that's the problem or he just does not read when the conversation is still on going????

India does this too,it does not matter who i am talking to ,she doesnt grasp that she must wait her turn to talk.

My son does this too.

He also starts talking about something or answering a question that i asked literally houres ago and i aint got a clue for a second or two what hes going on about because its all outta context then it clicks and i think oh right.

I say he comes in via satalite and hence the delay. :D

He does me head in but its part of his aspie charm i must remember that when he keeps wrecking the bathroom with dirty underpants and used toilet paper its part of his charm :(

Ben has no idea about taking turns in coversation.He interupts when I am midsentence.He also talks about a topic over people having a coversation and it may be nothing to do with the topic .He also changes topic mid sentence-a challenge to understand if you don,t know him so it obviously effects boys too.Karen

BOTH of my boys do this. They will interupt and talk over me.. but god forbid I do it to them :o:lol: ...then it's 'I haven't finished mum it's rude to interupt' :huh: so basically it's one rule for them and another for everyone else :rolleyes:

Lauren

I was trying to have a conversation with my AS DD 15 yrs tonight and she constantly talks over me. She never lets me finnish what I am saying before she starts talking. She has no idea of taking turns in a conversation.

I would be saying something and she would start another topic before I'd finished what I was saying, so we never really finished one topic before another one started. And she talks really loud and gets excited as she speaks.

Viper - my daughter does the same - I think it is part and parcel of AS - the communicating and social etiquette or social rules as they say - that they find difficult to understand.

Jb

Both of my AS boys do it, and my NT one has joined in as he knows it is no good waiting for his turn - it never comes!

The worst is when I am on the phone - R just comes out and proceeds to tell me something unimportant - he just cannot comprehend that even though I am holding the receiver, I might be listening to someone.

Karen

My Mum who was dianosed with depression a few years ago and whom I think has triats of AS and OCD does it.I can be talking to her and she goes off on one or doesn't seam to listen to me. I can be asking her something and I wait for her to give me a answer and she starts another conversation totaly unrealated it drives me mad.

Lisa

Hi,

my son Joe talks over us all the time too! When we make him wait his turn, he's so busy waiting for whoever's talking to finish, that he hasn't listened to what the person's said.

As for answering questions, that's like getting blood from a stone sometimes! (Funnily enough, it's the same with dh...).

Joe likes to dictate 'conversations' - he'll tell us what to ask so he can answer his own question. I think he's working on rhetorical questions for a future in politics.

Paula, that's funny what you said about coming in via satellite, hence the delay! As for the Aspie charm, two weeks of school holidays has put an end to that, (this goes for my other son's NT charm as well). I have however rediscovered Riesling during the holidays and it's helped get me through, but that's another story!

Eva

I used to do this because of an adversion to other peoples voices, listening to a voice in real-time is very tiring so it wasn't that I fell asleep from boredom- I was just brought to fatigue by having to listen to a voice all the time. I can handle recorded voices much better.

A tells me that he knows that he mustn't interupt so he waits until he thinks that people have finished, but because he can't read non-verbal language, he takes general pauses for breath as a signal that that person has had their say. Whilst, it might sometimes seem like he's interrupting mid sentence that's only because that person has started again before his brain and voice have correlated, since he has a slight time delay. I think that his explanation pretty much tallys with my experience when I was younger and people used to tell me to wait, they hadn't finished talking.

Now I'm the opposite. I have a habit of pausing in odd places in conversations (usually whilst I'm looking for the words) so people think I've finished before I have and then start talking. With more than one person I often don't know when to answer or answer quickly enough so often miss out on talking then. I also have a habit of voicing my thoughts halfway through to someone (usually my husband) leaving them rather perplexed :blink:

Bullet I'd agree with the missing out on your turn bit. I've found that in over compensating for not interrupting this is what happens to me. Just goes to show how difficult it is to teach our children these skills.

Now I'm the opposite. I have a habit of pausing in odd places in conversations (usually whilst I'm looking for the words) so people think I've finished before I have and then start talking. With more than one person I often don't know when to answer or answer quickly enough so often miss out on talking then. I also have a habit of voicing my thoughts halfway through to someone (usually my husband) leaving them rather perplexed :blink:

Its funny now I think about it I sometimes stop midsentence and don't complete it.Its as though I think the other person knows what I will say so I needn't finish.I have debated whether I have some ASD traits since Ben was Dx Aspergers traits-perhaps this is one I was not aware of.Karen

Edited by Karen A