cindy30fish

Blue Badge

Do you have problems in getting your child out?

I do If i need to get a pint of milk, i have to pursade my son to get out of the car which is really difficult as he has a big fear of dogs.

If some one bibs the horn he will jump on the nearest car, with fear.

So i am applying for a blue badge which is the one that replaced the orange badge.

I spoke to the council they said it is a good possiablty i might get one????????

Has any one else applyed?

I will ease a lot of tention for me and my son as i will be able to run out of the car for milk.

or i have no distance to walk with him.

If i go to the local shopping centre there is less chance of him running off in fear and striaght into a car.

I mum thinks its wrong for me to apply as it sould only be for people who have difficulty in walking.

I am wondering if you think this is selfish or am i in my rights to ask?

Honest replies whould be gratful.

:blink:

Hi

Blue Badge can be obtained for children over the age of two years who receive the higher rate of the Mobility Component of the DLA.

I know it has been claimed on the middle rate but it is very difficult.

I would think there is a good chance of your receiving this, especially if your son is at risk, you could even say that others are at risk due to his unpredictable behaviour.

mum thinks its wrong for me to apply as it sould only be for people who have difficulty in walking.

It is not just for physically disabled people. In your claim go into great detail about the difficulties you have taking your son out.

i.e. - No sense of danger - hard to control - unpredictable - having to carry or hold the child - child's lack of understanding etc.

You could give details of incidents in the past.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others could add more.

Nellie.

:thumbs:

GO FOR IT, APPLY

Your mum wouldn't be saying that if (god for bid) your son did run in front of a car

It is not a mobility badge it is a disability badge.

bev xx

I spoke to the council they said it is a good possiablty i might get one???????? Has any one else applyed?

Hello Cindy,

DLA - I'm receiving the higher rate for 'personal care' and the lower rate mobility for 'helping the child to get around', I also receive carer's allowance and a blue badge parking concession.

I didn't have to go into great detail when I applied for the badge - I just stated all of Daniel's diagnosed conditions.

I received the badge within a week of applying for it and it has definitely made things easier for Daniel - he's Dyspraxic.

You are not selfish for considering applying for this badge, you are simply trying to make things easier for your son - you are well within your rights to try to obtain a badge for him, submit your application a.s.a.p.

Helen

Edited by Helen

GO FOR IT!!!! I recently applied for a taxicard with the help of my special needs social worker as idon't drive and Lewis has a lot of problems with public transport.We gotit about a week later! I was unsure however about applying for the blue badge (my partner drives) and how to go about it.I didn't know if it was considered along with my application for the taxicard.I will have to enquire i think, all these things do help to make life that little bit easier not just for the kids but us parents too! Kirstie.

I might be stating something that is already known, but the badge goes with the person, not the car. You can use it in a taxi or friends car, etc, so if you think you qualify, apply.

Shona.

i was wondering whether my daughter would be eligble for a blue badge. we recived the high rate care componant from dla but we didnt get the mobility side of things, which we did think was wrong because my daughter has very high levels of anxiety brought on by her phobias. walking any distance with her is a nightmare because of her anxiety, she can be fine and then she can completly loose it because theres a fly. i have walked home from school once and theres quite alot of tree and bushes which my daughter has a negitive reaction too because of the bug phobia and she will hit, kick, bite etc in order to get away from the situation, she does not look what shes doing and if im not holding her tight she will bolt off. our school is almost 2 miles away, and there is double yellow lines surounding the school and the local roads, so everytime i park i risk a ticket, i have got a ticket once! but i feel i have no choice, i have to park close to the school so everyday i risk a ticket. its the same anywhere i go, if i go out with my daughter i want to get there and back as soon as possible as i never quite know when she is going to kick off about something. do you think i could apply on these grounds?

Hi darky

I know I tried to apply for a blue badge for my son but they told me I need to be getting High rate mobility but I only receive Low rate and middle rate for personal care. All I can say is questiion it with the DLA about being out and about first to qualify for high rate mobility. I get the low rate as my son is not severe out and about but needs supervision with strangers, cars roads etc and tends to like wandering off. Their may be a chance for you if things are more severe than my son's, what problem as your daughter got such as ASD/ADHD etc? Not sure what else to say but it may be another form you have to fill in for DLA but just ask for the mobility forms and nothing else. There is probably other threads on here that may give you more information.

Just read that your daughter is 6? and as Attention Deficeit sorry should of read your earlier posts....... :oops:

Take care

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32

its ok ;) my daughter has pdd-nos with attention difficulties which would be dx adhd but because she has pdd-nos, adhd subsumes in the over riding dx. with her its a combination of impulsivity and anxiety that make going out really difficult! :angry:

I have a Blue Badge for my daughter and a motability car because she is severely autistic. I get so annoyed at the attitude that she can walk and therefore doesn't need them, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here :rolleyes:

Despite the looks we get when using disabled parking bays I stand my ground and make sure her blue badge is clearly on view, we ARE entitled to have them, the authorities wouldn't give them to us if we weren't!

Hi there we get so many bad looks using the disabled badge my sister in law who i care for and myself are both blonde with the car parked in the disability spot we aways get bad looks and people come up (even with the badge in display ) and are asked if we have a badge well duhhhhhhhh its displayed one woman sayed she would have us clamped just as we thought we had stole it or something yeah right i wish we didnt have to park there god if they knew the problems we had x x xx x Elizabeth x x x x x x

Last week i got the forms for the blue badge. The man that gave them to me told me that i would have to get my doctor to fill in part of the form. The only problem i have is that my doctor hasnt seen my daughter for over 5 years for her problems.

My daughter sees a piadatrition and not my gp. What do i do??

Is there anyone who could help me with this question????

Do i send them to the doctor my daughter sees or the doctor who hasnt a clue?? But will the doctor fill them in correctly? or say that my daughter doesnt need a blue badge when i think it would help her?? also me a great deal when i go to shops n places with my daughter... :wallbash:

Just had a phone call to say that my application for a blue badge for my son had been approved following the receipt of the medical questionaire from our GP and that in future it will be an automatic issue even though he only gets the lower rate mobility component of DLA. He does have a diagnosis of Dyspraxia as well as AS and the Consultant stressed his anxiety problems.

Our Gp doesn't know our son but I spoke to his Consultant who wrote to our GP saying that she felt that A needed a blue badge and the reasons why so he could be guided by her. I then phoned the GP and spoke to him saying that I had applied and I realised it was discretionary but that his views would be sought and since he didn't know A I'd asked his Consultant to write to him with the medical evidence he would need to fill the form in.

I also included a copy of the NAS guidance for Social Services with my application.

Get it here

Apparently it must have worked, hope this helps someone else.

Edited by Tez

I had to apply to the Local Authority (County or Metropolitan Council) who adminster it on behalf of the Department of transport. In my authority the Social Services department actually makes the decision but I believe that might vary according to the council.

There is some information here

Edited by Tez

Well done Tez,

We got our blue badge a couple of weeks ago. (got DLA in January, but it took us this long to get round to applying!)

K

Glad you found the page on the Autism web site. That is the one I am going to use to apply for my son.

My son also is scared of dogs, cars, and even more so of busses and lorries. He will run as fast as he can in the opposite direction, and cower until they have gone. This could mean he would run across the road.

There are times when I really need a disabled bay with him. There are also times when I wouldn't use it. Having a badge doesn't mean I would always use it, it would mean that it was there when I needed it.

No one should feel guilty for applying. They don't give them out lightly.

Got my form all filled in and ready to go, forgot to post it this morning, so fingers crossed.

Hi i finally gave the form to my family gp to fill in for the blue badge.

Got it back today and wasnt impressed with the answers he had put.

My dr hasnt seen my daughter for over 6 years and he doesnt know her.

He had put that she doesnt have problems with walking and that she is like any other 7 year old child....

If my doctor knew my daughter he would know that having this badge would really help her.

I really dissagree with the form and now dont think we will get the badge for my daughter.. If only he had to take her out in his car for maybe an hour he would soon change his mind. :angry:

Blue Badge can be obtained for children over the age of two years who receive the higher rate of the Mobility Component of the DLA.

I had read this before, but when we just applied for DLA just now you can't claim mobility till they are three - so does that mean you can't apply for a blue badge till then either??

Thanks

Lynne

Hi Can't get blue badge unless I take Cahr for an assesment which I don't want to put him thro'.I only get high rate care so don't qualify :(

Lisa x

I got Henry's badge on Saturday.

At the moment he does get any mobility and only get lower rate care.

i have applied

i dont get mobility dla but will apply when my son coming up to 5

i sent big load of copys of all things he has probs with

they asked for 2 pics of him

then said writing to gp,im not sure if ill get it but i stressed all the points i could

:dance::dance:

been informed today that my son will get the badge-sending it out in post tonight.

he dont get mobility,but i will apply for that low rate when hes nearly 5.

so very pleased,as it will be a help.

We tried last year for this badge but was told because we don't recieve mobility then it was un likely we would get it.the only way we could try would be to go in and have an assesment something which I wasn't going to put my four year old son thro'.i think you do right applying for the badge this is something which I think shouldn't be assessed on what benefit you recieve.This badge should be available to all children if they are putting themselfs or others at risk.Also who gives these people the right to say because our children can walk then they shouldn't get one I'd like to see them try to do a simple thing like going to get a loaf of bread or a paint of milk with an AS ASD CHILD!!!!!

Rant over now

Lisa

P.S NO you are not selfish

Have got the form, need to finish the letter. I'm trying from the point of view that i have got 3 children all with needs and list them. With a lot of medical reports, school reports etc to back me up and see if that will do. My lo will soon be out of the pushchair and i am scared!! As he is impulsive, and has behavioural problems. DD8 will soon be having treatment for an eye condition. So her vision is going to be impaired.

Well sent it off over 3 weeks ago. Have phoned them up twice, and it's still with the OT. Have contacted the GP and they haven't had a request for info. I have asked for it for DD8 and have tried to explain that when i'm out with the three of them cannot give DD8 the supervision that she needs. I find that car parks are the worest thing with her as she doesn't understand or percieve things that a "normal" 8 yr old she tends to try and get herself knocked over.

I spoke to the council they said it is a good possiablty i might get one????????

Has any one else applyed?

I will ease a lot of tention for me and my son as i will be able to run out of the car for milk.

or i have no distance to walk with him.

If i go to the local shopping centre there is less chance of him running off in fear and striaght into a car.

I mum thinks its wrong for me to apply as it sould only be for people who have difficulty in walking.

Honest replies whould be gratful.

:blink:

I get higher rate mobility for my son who is autistic and dyspraxic. Apparently, that pretty much entitles him to a blue badge. We have accepted a motability car which is great but we have not applied for the badge. I live in London and have been told that cars with the blue badge on get broken into a lot as if you have a blue badge you dont pay the congestion charge !

However, when I applied to the DLA I stressed how difficult it is when taking my son out. He goes berserk at things like insects, dogs, loud lorries. We have to hold onto him otherwise he would be off. He is perfectly able to walk, but he does get tired easily, often trips up etc. I also have another son with ASD who was turned down for any DLA but as we get it for the other one, we didnt appeal.

We didnt tell any lies, but we did stress our difficulties doing normal things like walking to the shops, etc.

hope that helps

Hi

Found out today if you have a SW they can do the assesment for the badge for you in your own home mine coming on Monday

Lisa

Hi, I don't know whether to apply with this or not? DS is sometimes fine when out and about, BUT is more often than not difficult. He has a DX ADHD, ASD traits which they are closely monitoring, and is described as 'complex'. When DH and I are out with the children it is just about possible to cope when DS goes mad, whether it is a tantrum or he freaks because something scares him, because someone can carry him to the car or whatever, but when he is at work we are virtual prisoners in the house because I can't cope with that and get a 4yr old and 2yr old to the car and chase after DS or pick him up and carry him to a wherever the car is. I hope you understand yhat, it a bir rambly!

I got turned down as she's got good agility. I just need to keep "closer supervision" i will appeal against it, as while i was waiting to find out DD8 only goes and walks, holding DS hand right infront of a reversing car again, in a car park again.

i got a blue badge for my daughter today :dance::thumbs::thumbs: i had to fill in an application form, and i had to give a sealed application to my gp, i put a in a covering letter with her perscription for a major buggy and asked that he supported me. she DOES NOT get high rate mobility of DLA. it took less than 2 weeks to come back. :thumbs::thumbs:

so anyone thinking of applying, dont give up,you CAN get it despite not recieving the high rate mobility of DLA.

I keep thinking about this

All 3 of mine get DLA: ES middle care/low mobility; DD high care/low mobility; YS high care/low mobility.

However I equally know my DH's views on blue badge holders : that they are valid is someone have difficulties but not his children.

My YS is a terror in Car Parks - he just is unaware of the cars .... or if he does allow for them he panicsand half crosses the road and then sees a car stating to move the far side of the car park so he'll run back to were he was.

Having 3 thy go in different directions and I will NOT take all 3 anywhere on my own if I possibly can avoid it.

Louise