TheNeil

Should We Show Them How It's Done?

After the reported great success of the Herne Bay meetup during the summer, isn't it about time us northern flat-cap-wearing-whippet-breeding oiks showed those poncy southerners (:D) how a meet-up should really be done?

Just throwing the idea into the ring to see what you other 'grim northerners' reckon :notworthy:

Edited by TheNeil

Hi Neil, sounds like a good idea..............where are you thinking of?

No idea really - I was waiting to see where everybody was located and then was thinking about coming up with somewhere that's easy for everyone to get to/wants to go to (a field in the middle of nowhere, for example, might be 'central' but it's hardly great fun). I would say H'gate but I know that it can be a bit of a trek from Newcastle and some of those other 'ghastly' places (only joking - Newcastle is a top place. Now that Sunderland on the other hand... :lol:)

Of course if anyone's got any suggestions they'd be appreciated especially as I have no idea about 'child friendly' places or any of that sort of thing

If people want to PM me locations, ideas etc. (rather than make them 'public' for whatever reason) then feel free to

Hi TN...you already know I'd like to be there :D I'd be happy to travel if need be.......although I'm completely naff at driving and reading directions, and tend to head in the opposite direction..... :wacko::wacko:

Good luck and hope you get a good response :thumbs:

although I'm completely naff at driving and reading directions, and tend to head in the opposite direction..... :wacko::wacko:

Opposite direction you say? Let me just do some calculations...Ok, the meet would be in the middle of the north sea :lol:

:huh: sorry neil................you mentioned child friendly places............does that mean we have to bring the kids :blink: ...............anywhere north is o.k. for me, manchester, leeds,preston, lancaster,...........can,t really go above kendal................... :P ............but can go as east as you like.Oh and can,t really go south of birmingham.

:huh: sorry neil................you mentioned child friendly places............does that mean we have to bring the kids :blink: ...............anywhere north is o.k. for me, manchester, leeds,preston, lancaster,...........can,t really go above kendal................... :P ............but can go as east as you like.Oh and can,t really go south of birmingham.

Jeez, Suze... Just how many City Centres HAVE you been banned from???? :P:lol::lol:

:D

That's what I'm trying to work out (where, kids etc.). If it's a '+kids' day then I'm going to look a bit of a fool coming along with two guinea pigs on little leads (I'll also have gone stark raving mad, been dragged over every bit of grass, down every 'interesting' place and generally lost the will to live...oh and I'll be three weeks late)

I could do any of those places but I know that quite a few people are north east coast types so I reckon it'll be the east rather than west (and definitely not as far south as Birmingham)(or 'Burr-ming-ham' if you're American)

Jeez, Suze... Just how many City Centres HAVE you been banned from???? :P:lol::lol:

:D

Am I detecting some sort of 'problem' here? Have I opened up an ASBO shaped can of worms? :lol:

Yoooohoooooooooo I'm in!!

I am totally prepared to travel! What's 4 hours in the car eh? Oh.

No seriously I don't mind driving and I can combine it with a trip up to see the bro and his missus either calling in for a night on the way to/way from the meet up.

NOBODY wants to go to Birmingham. Not even me and I only live 40mins away! But if I make the trek oooop-noooorth for you lot there is to be no mickey taking out of my accent! I sound worse than a Brummie because I've got the Black Country accent mixed up in it. So I sound like Jasper Carrot, Lenny Henry and Cat Deeley all rolled into one. It does not sound pleasant and my geordie future-sister-in-law loves nothing more than to immitate me whenever she comes down to visit. It is not funny and not clever! So there!

As I said in the other thread where this is being discussed, February and March are pretty packed for me at a weekend so I don't know if you wanna make it before or after crimbo? I've got no problem with kids as long as we know how many in advance so I can prepare my ears! :lol: Also it determines where we are going to meet up as we have to find somewhere kid friendly whereas up until now I've just envisaged myself sat up the corner in a pub getting sloshed :cheers::drunk: (That's only cos I'm a secret alki though!)

As I don't know where anywhere is up north apart from Seaham and Manchester you lot decide and let me know. Manchester is less than 2 hours from me so that is ok to drive home from and anywhere within an two hours of Seaham should also be ok. You can just all buy me a drink/cake to make up for the cost of the petrol :lol:

Emily

xxx

Also can we know if we are bringing partners or not because I think I might need my Bob to push me through the door to meet everyone :D

Those places are all ok for me too :thumbs: ......also quite happy to meet in a pub without the little uns :party::drunk::cheers: or going somewhere kiddie friendly and bringing them along. :) ...............

will definately have to bring DH though.....far too scary to come alone :ph34r::unsure: .......plus I'd never find it without DH driving and would turn up the following day after doing a slight de-tour via Cumbria :whistle:B)

Ok I'm starting to get the impression that following people would be interested (along with where they'd be coming from):

Me (shock) - Harrogate

Suze - Manchester(ish)

Marshmallow - ???

Brooke - Newcastle

Bagpuss - Cleveland (but I know which bit :lol:)

Bandonkadonk - Birmingham(ish)

Having looked at the map then Leeds looks to be fairly central but I'm not sure how easy that is for everyone (driving into Leeds ain't for the faint hearted but public transport isn't too bad) - I also don't want to look as though I'm trying to make things easy for me (it's only 45 minutes away from H'gate :D). Middlesbrough might an alternative but 1) it's a long way from Manchester (for Suze (and it's north of Kendal) - I figure that if Emily's happy to combine this with a trip to her in-laws-to-be, it wouldn't too bad for her) and 2) Middlesbrough's awful

It's up to you lot whether you want to bring kids and/or partners - I have neither so it doesn't bother me either way (the GPs are right little snobs and won't talk to anyone anyway - in fact I'd probably leave them at home). Of course that might dictate where we can all go. Being the child-friendly soul that I am, my suggestions, where kids are concerned, tend to begin and end with locking them in a cupboard

Oh and has anybody given any thought as to when they'd want to actually do any of this? My schedule is totally free (and if it's a work day then simply a day's holiday - I'm owed loads) but if there are kiddie winks for some of you to consider etc. etc. etc.

(BTW Sorry if this sounds like a military operation but this is what happens when you let an Aspie organise something - it all has to be planned down to the last micro-second :lol:)

Have you considered an oil rig? :lol::lol:

AARRGGHH - The sea scares the be-je-sus out of me

That said, having had to think of somewhere, maybe an oil rig isn't too bad an idea...if only to run away to :lol:

I sound worse than a Brummie because I've got the Black Country accent mixed up in it. So I sound like Jasper Carrot, Lenny Henry and Cat Deeley all rolled into one

I'm now imagining Chris Moyles' impression of Rachel (from Kidderminster)...and if you've no idea what I'm talking about then listen to Radio 1 from 7:00 each morning :lol:

As I don't know where anywhere is up north apart from Seaham and Manchester you lot decide and let me know

There's not much else really: Seaham, Manchester, Harrogate and somewhere called 'Scotland' :lol:

Also can we know if we are bringing partners or not because I think I might need my Bob to push me through the door to meet everyone :D

As I said before, entirely up to everyone else to decide on these kind of points...I'm flexible (as the contortionist said to the vicar) (that joke courtesy of Mr J Tarbuck, Liverpool, 1963)

Leeds would probably be ok to get to but i think i would be coming without kids as i cant even get to the shops with them never mind car journy to leeds etc :lol::blink:

(BTW Sorry if this sounds like a military operation but this is what happens when you let an Aspie organise something - it all has to be planned down to the last micro-second :lol:)

Im exactly the same get totally stressed to so glad your organising it :lol::lol::lol:

Leeds would probably be ok to get to but i think i would be coming without kids as i cant even get to the shops with them never mind car journy to leeds etc :lol::blink:

Fine by me (as I said, I don't mind either way). As a bizarre thought it might be easier to not drive into Leeds but stop outside of Leeds and travel in by bus/train - just a thought

Hope nobody thinks I'm being patronising but would a day away from your little devils be a kind of rest/break?

Im exactly the same get totally stressed to so glad your organising it :lol::lol::lol:

I'll happily swap places and you can take over if you want to :thumbs:

I can do Leeds ............I,d also probably not bring my little treasures, could do with the time away :blink: ..................very selfish I know.

I have no idea about Rachel from Chris Moyles, TNT, but she probably sounds like me if they are taking the mickey!

Scotland you say, eh, doesn't ring a bell!! :lol: I only really know Manchester cos of the MEN Arena. I only really know all of the places I know cos of going to see bands there. (Apart from Seaham obv, my bro cannot hold a note!). Therefore I could easily drive you around Covent Garden in London but I have no chuffing idea where Leeds is in relation to Seaham or Manchester. (Yes, I know, I'm female and I can drive around the middle of London without getting into an accident. It's because I have a male Aspie brain I'm sure :dance: )

Anyway any clues on driving distances and all that malarky would be appreciated. I would ask my dad but he would just laugh at me and I know you lot will probably laugh at me as well but I won't be able to hear you :D I could just look at a map as well I know, but it is rather dangerous as usually I end up having a tantrum because places aren't where I think they are in my head. Hence Walsall is no longer north of me, neither is Nottingham. It's my parents fault, they're always saying "we'll just nip up to Walsall for an hour". People say it all the time, why won't you think of the Aspies!!!! Hence I grew up thinking that most places around me are either just North or South. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that some are East and West! Mindblowing. :o

Leeds is a nightmare! I can get lost very easily there!!!! :wacko:

I may be interested but life is pretty hectic here in Sth Yorks - set a date time and place and I'll turn up if I can.

TN - how about adding a subtitle to the thread re 'Northern meet-up' :) - i thought this thread may be a new Morecombe and Wise thread!!!!!! :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have no idea about Rachel from Chris Moyles, TNT, but she probably sounds like me if they are taking the mickey!

Get yourself onto www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 and use the Listen Again feature. That said, if you do, you might clobber me if we all meet up :lol:

Anyway any clues on driving distances and all that malarky would be appreciated. I would ask my dad but he would just laugh at me and I know you lot will probably laugh at me as well but I won't be able to hear you :D I could just look at a map as well I know, but it is rather dangerous as usually I end up having a tantrum because places aren't where I think they are in my head. Hence Walsall is no longer north of me, neither is Nottingham. It's my parents fault, they're always saying "we'll just nip up to Walsall for an hour". People say it all the time, why won't you think of the Aspies!!!! Hence I grew up thinking that most places around me are either just North or South. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that some are East and West! Mindblowing. :o

Having looked on the map I think it's about the same distance to Leeds from Birmingham as it Birmingham to Manchester (Leeds and manchester are about at the same 'height' on the map if that helps - go to www.streetmap.co.uk and type in 'Leeds' then zoom out a couple of times). Central Leeds is a bit of a pig (like all cities) so might be wise to park up somewhere and come the last little bit by train or bus (Leeds central station is actual slap bang in the centre of Leeds and actually makes a very good meeting point)

I'm sure you're right about parents and maps - everywhere is just 'up the road' or 'round the corner' (meanign about 3 hours away)

Leeds is a nightmare! I can get lost very easily there!!!! :wacko:

I may be interested but life is pretty hectic here in Sth Yorks - set a date time and place and I'll turn up if I can.

TN - how about adding a subtitle to the thread re 'Northern meet-up' :) - i thought this thread may be a new Morecombe and Wise thread!!!!!! :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good plan - I don't want people expecting some sort of Morecambe and Wise styled meeting thing. I'll see what I can do about that

At the moment I don't have any ideas about times or meet up points (if we do go for Leeds then I'd probably suggest the train station as it's 1) central 2) indoors (in case it rains) 3) easy to find or ask directions to)

If you lot would like to start suggesting when would be good then it would be a big help

Introducing another aspie trait... can I be really selfish and suggest Newcastle as an alternative to Leeds... because... 1) Leeds scares me even though I've only ever been through it once...and 2) Newcastle is my home town even though I don't live there anymore.... but I know I won't get lost :lol:

Flora.... forum Dame :D

i hope you lot have a brilliant time,its lovely putting names to faces when you meet people,baddad was even more good looking than i thought he would be :P and i imagined bid as older obviously cos of her name then a trendy young thing walked in the cafe :D smiley was well smiley,good username there love,suits ya :D kathryn was lovely,very understanding of my erratic nature,annie reminded me of me(sorry annie!!)loved big bro and you should see the pictures she had of famous people on her digital camera,she mixes in very posh circles!!florrie and her daughter were lovely,anyone else?i had to leave early cos mr steve had a meltdown and ran to the train station :crying:

i cant wait to hear how your meet goes,would love to be there but too far :crying: oh my god i hope i not missed anyone of my meet up out,if i have virtually slap my wrist!!

Edited by hev

Aww Hev, that made me laugh :D Maybe we could turn it into a new game....guess what people actually look like from their posts/usernames. Its funny how we have a mental picture of someone in our head isn't it.

I am saggy, baggy and old :whistle::lol::lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

Introducing another aspie trait... can I be really selfish and suggest Newcastle as an alternative to Leeds... because... 1) Leeds scares me even though I've only ever been through it once...and 2) Newcastle is my home town even though I don't live there anymore.... but I know I won't get lost :lol:

Flora.... forum Dame :D

Don't worry Dame Flora, Leeds scares me and I go there nearly every day :blink:

I can do Newcastle (been I while since I was last up that way but know the city centre well enough) but might be a bit of a trek for Suze coming across from Manchester but would probably make life easier for Emily (if she's stopping at Seaham as it's just up the coast). Any comment Suze (it's a long way up from Kendal mind you)?

I could do with some feedback/opinions peeps

I know where Newcastle is! (I think :lol: ) Never been myself before but I know that my bro and his missus will be able to tell me lots about going and you're right it's not too far away from Seaham at all. If we trecked up to their house on the Friday night and stayed over and came to meet everyone on the Saturday then we could drive back home on the Saturday evening or even stay another day if I was alright. I'm not very good in other peoples' houses and they have a rabbit (soon to be two) and it sets my skin itching like crazy, as does their washing powder. But I think I can solve that problem by just taking some sheets and my quilt with me. It sounds like a pain in the bum but if it means I don't spend all night sitting up in their living room unable to sleep before deciding in the early hours that I had to go home then it's worth the extra effort/weird factor :lol:

Anyway like I said I'm easy (steady now...) in regards to location but the first thing we need to decide is before or after Crimbo? I'm happy either way, after christmas gives me a little bit more time to lose some weight but as if that's ever going to happen anyway so it might as well be before :lol: As long as Bob agrees to drive so I can have a drink to settle my nerves (or 2 or 3) then I only really care what I look like for the first 10 minutes then I start smudging my mascara and spilling stuff down me and generally undo 2 hours of hard graft to get me looking human.

My nickname, btw, means a bum that wobbles without much effort to wobble it or something like that. I actually got the name from a child and didn't know what it meant until I looked it up. Trouble is, I've never been able to figure out how said child knew of the word in the first place. That's one early learner :o Anyway, my bum is mahoosive so in that respect I resemble my name. I do not however just resemble a bottom, I do have arms and legs and a head still and all that other fluff so be not afraid! My real name, as you all now know, is Emily so take that as you will. Most people seem to think I will be girly and sweet but as I've said before I look like Johnny Vegas' sister and talk like him too thanks to the suspected hormone inbalance. I've also got a lip piercing and a tattoo... :band: Nah I'm not a rock chick really, I would probably like to be but I'm too much of a nerd :(

Sorry dudes, I started yacking again didn't I :wacko:

Emily

xxx

I'm in Gateshead and I'd love to come if the meet's in Newcastle, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it. I have ME so anything further away would rule it out.

Watching with interest for final decisions!

Karen

x

I'm getting a slight feeling that Newcastle is going to be the place to go. That though is going to mean someone else working out where we're actually meeting up. I know my way around but it's been a few years since I was last up there so I've not got a clue about pubs, restaurants etc.

Brooke, Karen - Either of you two fancy handling that side of things?

As for 'when' then I'd just like to point out that as we get closer to Christmas, the busier it's going to get. Not sure how that affects anyone else but I know that I get a bit 'swamped' in crowds so might be best avoiding December and the first couple of weeks of January altogether (and that's not a cue for an Airplane style joke). So that leaves about three weeks in November...

Edited by TheNeil

phewww thank goodness someone mentioned Newcastle i was getting worried about the 2hr treck to Leeds but didnt want to suggest Newcastle as its easy for me :lol::lol:

phewww thank goodness someone mentioned Newcastle i was getting worried about the 2hr treck to Leeds but didnt want to suggest Newcastle as its easy for me :lol::lol:

In that case you're elected as Head-of-organising-where-we're-all-going-what-we're-all-doing-and-where-we're-all-actually-meeting (although I reckon Monument Square's as good as anywhere) :lol:

:(

I could have done Leeds easily coz i can get a bus or a traine from Huddersfield there and be there in 45 minutes.

Cant drive so theres no way i could do Newcastle.

Leeds traine station i can do.