Bagpuss

Crimewatch

Watching Crimewatch this evening, and the first crime reconstructed was a fella who attacked 2 ladies, by thumping them with a brick over their heads and legs, after following them thru woodland. One was a pregnant lady with her toddler and the other was an elderly lady.

According to the profiler, the suspect may has Aspergers :o

Was totally shocked to hear this.....what a disgrace to say that :(

When the programme was finishing, Nick Ross went on to say that they had received a number of phone calls complaining about the use of Aspergers in the context of a crime, but he said they were only giving information provided by the profiler.

Whatever next.......and what perception is this giving Joe Public about AS? :(

Well, he did have a "vacant stare". I mean, what more does a highly trained profiler need to make a diagnosis!!! (why cant I find the rolling eye wmoticon when I need it!)

Nick Ross ended this with 'we said aspergers in the same way as we would describe a suspect as tall or short' (or words to that effect ) :wallbash:

I was so flabbergasted that I didn't notice whether he went on to say his usual signing off phrase, but any nightmares induced by this episode won't be just down to the horrific crimes featured.

wac

Oh my goodness, I've just realised something :o . That profiler is one of those amazing people with a sort of sixth sense who can diagnose whether someone has aspergers or autism in a few seconds just by looking at them! You know, the ones you see in the doctor's surgeries or at the supermarket :blink: .

(I'm being saracastic btw :P )

I'm kinda glad I missed this the mood I'm in at the minute with the bad rap AS is getting.

I was out at a restaurant to celebrate my Grandad's birthday. (yeah I managed a restaurant for once, go me, go me....only just got up though cos it wore me out so much)

Who knew it was so simple to know whether someone is Aspergers or not just by looking at them, I mean yeah of course it's the same as being able to say whether someone is tall or not. HOW CAN IT NOT BE!

So wait, wait. I have an announcement.

I do not have Asperger Syndrome.

It is impossible for me to have AS. I only got diagnosed last year and this was only after someone had tried to talk to me and had found out my history and had talked to my mum and my boyfriend. As far as I can remember he did very little looking at me at all because I have a tendancy to hide behind my boyfriend when I meet people and then when he was sat down talking to us he was writing taking notes all the time and looking at his pad.

So the obvious thing to deduce from all this that I can't have AS because people have been *looking* at me for 23 years and have never said anything and this guy made the HUGE mistake of dx by talking to me so it can't possibly be right because he didn't inspect my appearance.

What a silly plonker I am!

Emily

xxx

Warning - extreme use of sarcasm in this post.

How on Earth did they come to the conclusion that he might be AS? Did he have to fill out a psychologists' report and ndergo several hours of intense questioning possibly involving other family members? Did he avoid eye-contact at all times and wasn't able to engage the victom in small-talk? Did he seem quite knowledgeable in certain subjects but totally clueless in others? Was he uncomfortable in group situations?

It would save a lot of time if everyone with a 'loony-tune' disorder/condition just gave themselves up right now - we're obviously going to become a crazed criminal/bully/control freak at some point (given the recent spate of programmes that have nicely explained AS to the genral populace) so we might as well save some time. I'm off to phone up the local police station to inform them that I'm AS and suggest that they install a CCTV camera outside my house lest I give into my pre-destined fate of having to attack people

Anyone like to start a sweepstake to guess how long it'll be until the Daily Mail (amongst others) start a campaign to get these 'timebombs' off the street and locked up (as they rightly should be)?

Oh God, I feel another letter of complaint coming on. Breathe, breathe, breathe...AARRGGHH :angry:

Oh God, I feel another letter of complaint coming on. Breathe, breathe, breathe...AARRGGHH :angry:

:lol::lol::shame:

I just fired off a rather angry and incoherent email to Crimewatch, I am sure that I will have helped ease the myth that we are all maaaaaaadd.........whoops.

At least I didn't end it with "you're wrong, so nerrrr" but I did call Nick Ross a complete and utter moron.

Come on Mr Ross, I'll take you on any day! :star:

I know it won't have helped really, but I feel a lot better for doing it!

Emily

xxx

Did he avoid eye-contact at all times and wasn't able to engage the victom in small-talk?

OMG TheNeil. Coffee sprayed into keyboard alert. :lol::lol:

These profilers usually base things on where it occurred, what weapon was used, who was attacked etc based on things they know from previous similar crimes / situations. It's all a bit woolly IMO, but it's what they do.

So how on earth they have decided this person is possibly aspergic? Have they a history of crazed brick wielding aspergics in the area that have led them to this conclusion? Does the profiler in question know of previous crimes of a similar nature committed by an organised gang of people with aspergers? Otherwise, how can they base their profile on known previous evidence?

Totally totally bizarre.

I think the only thing you can safely say about someone who attacks other people with bricks is that they are crackers.

Ergo they cannot be aspergic, to nick a quote from an earlier post I read on this forum "I am Aspergic, not mad".

This is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe something like this has happened. How on Earth did they come to the conclusion that he might have AS using so little information - and none of it relevant? Nick Ross should be sacked over this event.

On the Update programme later that evening Nick Ross again raised the issue that they been receiving more calls regarding this crime and the use of Aspergers, and that people had pointed out that a person with Aspergers was no more likely to commit a crime like this as anyone else. He again reiterated that the information given was via a profile compiled by a forensic profiler, based on the actions and behaviour of the suspect, and was no different to saying he was short or tall :o:blink::angry:

What an utter disgrace :( I cannot for the life of me imagine how a profiler could suggest a suspect is Aspergic solely based on his actions whilst roaming around with a brick in hand and stalking ladies in woodland :(

Emily and TN, your posts are making me howl with laughter...... :D

I think we should ask for the profiler's name and all the families struggling to get a diagnosis could stand in a line up and it would save a whole lot of time and effort waiting on the other "experts".

Nicola

OMG TheNeil. Coffee sprayed into keyboard alert. :lol::lol:

I know...I spelt 'victim' wrong :shame:

What I would dearly like to know is who the forensic profiler actually is? Not to have a go or anything but to make sure that he/she gets a job in the NHS - his/her ability to dx AS given such scant evidence would make dx-ing people a doddle and save an absolute fortune in terms of time and money. No more waiting for years to see consultants, no more having to answer endless questions or jump through a myriad of hoops - just a quick chat with someone who's walked past the patient and that'll be enough to do the job

Getting slightly back on subject, I'm still baffled as to why AS was ever even mentioned? It's not as if he only had one arm or something (which is easily spotted) and, given the near universal lack of understanding/awareness of AS, how did the police/CrimeWatch think that detailing that the man was (potentially) AS is going to help him be spotted by the public? Have the government recently released AS ID kits to make us easier to spot? People don't walk down the street and go 'Aye, he's AS'. It's totally pointless information that does nothing to help catch the criminal but does everthing to stigmatise us Aspies (and probably ASDs in general). I just don't get what they thought they were gaining by giving this little nugget of info out :huh:

I was going to write to the BBC but, as I didn't actually see the programme, I didn't think it was really fair for me to comment/complain on it*. My mum did watch it and told me that as soon as AS was mentioned she prepared herself for the impending explosion that would come from the Harrogate direction. She also wondered if I'd been one of the people who'd phoned up - she has such faith in me :dance:

* Of course if anyone wants to say 'Oh just write and complain anyway' then I'll happily sharpen my talons and go for the CrimeWatch throat

Edited by TheNeil

Oh sod it I went and wrote to the BBC anyway:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to you in utter, utter disgust following an item on the CrimeWatch programme (transmitted 01/11/2006). The item in question has to do with the statements made regarding the assumption that one of the criminals sought MAY have suffered from Asperger Syndrome (AS).

This is a subject that I am a vested interest in being that I AM Aspergic and am fully aware of the difficulties that Aspergic people have functioning in society without the additional stigma of being predisposed to crime activity. The diagnosis of AS takes a long time, involves a lot of psychological profiling and questoining of not only the patient but also their family. How the police managed to arrive at this diagnosis/profile from the information given by the witness is beyond me - Did the suspect avoid eye-contact at times and fail to engage the victim in small talk? Did he perhaps stop at the crime scene for several hours to allow a qualified psychologist to perform a series of tests on him and extensively question his family? Perhaps you could ask the lady/gentleman in question to apply to their local NHS trust for employment - they could save the NHS a fortune.

I'm also at a loss as to why this information was even broadcast at all as it serves no purpose when given to the public. This may come as something of a surprise but Aspergic people don't have two heads, we don't walk with a limp or have a big neon sign that spell out 'I'm Aspergic - run for the hills before I rob you'. Public perception of AS (and all Autistic Spectrum Disorders) is scant to say the least so how did you envisage the man in the street being able to use this information to catch the criminal involved? People don't walk down the street and say 'Oh yes, that chap's Aspergic'. It's pointless information that does nothing to help the criminal investigation but does everything to harm the the image of people who actually ARE Aspergic.

To have Nick Ross trying to defend the situation by explaining that this was merely information in the same vein as the suspect was tall or short, is totally inadequate. Why didn't you detail that the suspect may have had athelete's foot or speculate on what colour underwear he was wearing? He might as well have done for the extra good it'll do in tracking the suspect down.

So thank you very much CrimeWatch and the BBC. Not only do I now have to live with being AS (a difficult job in itself) but now I have the added bonus of everyone who is vaguely aware of my 'status' now also thinking that I'm, by the very nature of my condition, a potential violent criminal who will, given time, attack innocent people with a brick. The scary thing is, your programme made me very tempted to storm into the BBC and actually give physical violence a try (I didn't by the way).

Yours with utter disgust and loathing (and a total sense of confusion as to why I bother paying my license fee)

Now let's see if I get a reply to that little lot

Does anybody know if Barry George has AS? He was convicted of murdering Jill Dando, the former Crimewatch presenter, based on the flimsy evidence of a particle of gunsmoke on a coat. Nick Ross believes that Barry George is guilty.

oh emily........how do you feel now as you are obviously a fraud!!! you must vacate this board immediately and go make lots of converstaions, especially small talk type convo's with total strangers...... :devil:

and dont worry NT i have already called the daily mail and suggested that they start a new campaign asap!!!! well it might just take their minds of ADHD......... :devil:

and if nick ross thinks barry g did it, then who are we to argue......... :shame:

to be honest, i stopped watching CW years ago....i was getting the uncontrolable urge to go out and be a criminal.....that and also thought i saw my dad on a photo fit one night kind of killed it for me...... :oops:

Of course Barry George was AS - ALL criminals are AS because ALL AS people are, by their very nature, criminals. The evidence is plain to see. I often steal things from people I know but, as I now live on my own and don't have friends, it means I have to steal things from myself so I can be both the victim and the criminal at the same time - a happy medium for all concerned. I just hope I don't turn violent and start beating myself up :wacko:

Hahahaha yes I'm a big fat fraud...fooooooooooooled you all, nerrr nerrrr :dance::dance::bat:

Excellent letter as per usual TN (or should that be TNT...eh....eh...see what I did there! TNT does stand for dynamite right? :blink: )

AS ID kits. HA! I can see it now!

The AS ID kit contains such features as a watch to keep track of the amount of time the suspect talks about one particular subject, a pitch frequency device(thing) so you can see how often the pitch of the voice changes. Magnifying glasses so you can look closely at the suspect to see if they are not looking back at you, or even (god forbid) looking vacantly at you. (This is a new error occuring in these faulty people, be wary, could cause the alien to magically produce a brick and start hitting you with it) The AS ID kit also contains a megaphone which you can use to talk to your potential attacker with, watch out for signs of them covering their ears! Another useful feature is a small bat to beat your would-be menace with if they start trying to take the megaphone off of you. Extra features include a random jumper! You should expect any aliens to show extreme resistance in making a change to new clothing. And lets not forget, your handy prompt sheet of usual "small-talk" topics which you can use to test the responses of your future-murderer. (The prompt sheet should ONLY be used when you are armed with the bat).

How to analyse the results

If the potential serial killer has talked about one topic for over 30 minutes congratulations you have spotted an Aspie! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! If the pitch of the voice did not change throughout the conversation then wahey for you, you've spotted an Aspie! RUN, RUN AWAY QUICKLY! If the reject lab experiment did not make eye contact with you or stared vacantly at you, well done you, you've spotted an Aspie! CALL PEST CONTROL IMMEDIATELY. If the next Hitler dislikes the megaphone, refuses to wear the jumper and is unable to engage in small-talk or shows signs of murder in the eyes when prompted to respond you have no choice but to beat your stalker with the bat and find your nearest police station to declare martial law because, how amazing are youuuuuuuuuuu you've discovered an ASPIE!!!!!!!!!

(Disclaimer - any injuries/death sustained whilst Aspie spotting is entirely your own risk and stupid fault for getting so close. Similarly loss of brain function is a risk though it is doubtful your brain could function any less)

Excellent that should help keep us dangerous animals off the streets. I wonder how long it will be before Fisher Price has the kits made up?

Emily

xxx

ps butterfingersbimbo or bfb as you are now hereby known, I know it wasn't your dad on the photo fit that night you watched Crimewatch but it probably was an ASPIE so wash your eyes out immediately they may still be contaminated!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

You forgot one identifying feature though, Emily: an obssessive and unusual interest in the music of Queen. :o:P

Barry George was obssessed with Freddie Mercury for many years, and pretended to be his cousin, on this basis it has been suggested he has AS, according to an article I read recently.

So when confronting your suspect, get him to sing Bohemian Rhapsody. If he knows all the words, he must have AS. :devil:

K x

I was feeling really upset and distressed at the crimewatch comment, but by the time I read all the responses I was rolling around with laughter especially from badonkadonk and the neil, so thanks for cheering me up, it suddenly felt less serious, hey I thought aspergers people weren't supposed to have a sense of humour, another myth I guess.

Might I suggest the addition of a scratchy woolen jumper (AARRGGHH - I'm twitching just at the thought of that), a 'routine randomizer' that suggests doing everyday things in a bizarre and non-logical order/fashion (pushes these AS-terrorists over the edge you see - they can't cope with the concept of not folding the washing as they take it off the line or not hanging socks out in pairs) and a tape recording of several people talking at once?

Speaking in the Daily Mail, Mrs Phyllis Plugboard was quoted as saying:

Armed with this type of ID kit I don't think the general public will have anything to worry about and we can round all of these 'mentalers' up, stick them in a crate and send them off to somewhere ghastly...like Newcastle or Dumfries or somewhere 'opp north' as I believe they say in the colonies. The savages up there will soon pick them off through a process of 'natural selection'. Survival of the fittest you know. The sooner this menace is off the streets, the better

She's absolutely 100% right of course :wacko:

hey I thought aspergers people weren't supposed to have a sense of humour, another myth I guess.

We're too busy beating people up with bricks to go around making jokes. Maybe that's how the police decided this guy was AS - he didn't reel off a couple of observational jokes before going into a short stand-up routine :hypno:

I've decided. The chap can't have had an ASD.

Why?

Well, because if The Boy went out randomly attacking people he wouldn't NEED bricks. I can tell you that a well placed head butt is extremely effective. Especially on males, considering The Boy's current height and the positioning of gentlemanly "important bits". :lol:

Anyway, can't hang around here today, I'm off for an AS test. I know all the words to Bohemian Rhapsody & I've felt like clunking two of my bosses today with hot coffee mugs (viable alternatives when bricks are unavailable) so I must be AS.

I'm fitting in a test in my lunch hour, cutting out all that doctor and assessment mularky and giving CW a call. They'll dx me in no time - probably before I've finished my sarnie.

send them off to somewhere ghastly...like Newcastle or Dumfries

What you trying to say about Newcastle like!!!!!! :lol::lol: Your posts always make me laugh TheNeil

send them off to somewhere ghastly...like Newcastle or Dumfries

What you trying to say about Newcastle like!!!!!! :lol::lol: Your posts always make me laugh TheNeil

I wasn't saying anything about Newcastle (nice place - few too many Geordies for my liking (being from Boro) but sound enough). I was merely quoting Mrs Phyllis Plugboard :lol:

Edited by TheNeil

LOL @ the wooly jumper and routine randomizer. I was really enjoying creating the ID kit but just by mentioning all that stuff I started to get really angsty and had to stop :lol:

TNT I had to re-read your posts a couple of times also cos on first reading I took you literally and was like, wow, Plugboard huh. Then I was like, no, stop! YOU INVENTED THE KIT YOU NARNA! :lol::lol::wacko:

I can't speak for other Aspies but I defo have a sense of humour, it's just a bit random. I think the myth comes from the fact that we take things literally so I find really traditional jokes a nightmare. Here are a couple of examples of the two worst jokes that have plagued my life because I just can't get my head around them. My parents, especially my dad, think it's hilarious and constantly tease me about the second joke all the time!!!

Paddy and Murphy (who else!!) are walking through some fields and ahead of them they see a lush green forest. "Hey Murphy," says Paddy "Look at that beautiful forest!" "I can't see the forest," says Murphy "The trees are in the way". :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: THE TREES ARE THE FOREST!!!! This joke makes my head hurt so bad :lol:

The other joke...

What time is it when an elephant sits on a fence? Time to get a new fence.

Except I don't get this concept at all and when asked "what time is it when an elephant sits on a fence?" I have always, ALWAYS, responded with "3pm? 5pm? 10am? 10.30am? Come on Daddy is it 4pm? What time is it for goodness sake!" Over the years I have come to decide it's 3pm!! :lol::dance:

So I do have a sense of humour it's just that sometimes I can take what is meant as a joke either literally or seriously. I like Lee Evans because he doesn't rely on kinda trick jokes like those ones above he just comments on life in a funny way so I get that. I also like Bill Bailey and Ross Noble. I like Bill Bailey because he's a bit like Lee Evans and Ross Noble is just mental and exactly my kind of warped humour except for I sometimes find it really hard to follow where he's going because he has got this inability to stay on the same topic for more than 2 minutes.

I don't know about the whole Barry George thing and from the sounds of it I'm glad I don't!! I did like Queen I must admit, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy is one of my faves but I went to see them when they were on tour with Paul Rodgers and just wanted to put my finger inside my head and pull my brain out. Paul Rodgers was amazing but then I have been a Free/Bad Company fan since birth, I had no choice. But Queen were like, oh my god, how self-indulgent. They only used Paul Rodgers for a couple of songs and most of the time they were doing some 20minute solo or moving tribute to Freddie Mercury that totally killed the concert atmosphere and made everyone depressed!

Oh God, I just re-read the posts again and have only just realised that Jill you are also joking!! I must learn to read properly :lol::lol: Florrie you might not be so wrong afterall!

Emily

xxx

TNT I had to re-read your posts a couple of times also cos on first reading I took you literally and was like, wow, Plugboard huh. Then I was like, no, stop! YOU INVENTED THE KIT YOU NARNA! :lol::lol::wacko:

Oh God, I never realised that I'd managed to invent a quote about an imaginary idea and that it would be (initially at least) taken seriously by the person who came up with the imaginary idea. Maybe I should consider a career in politics :lol:

What time is it when an elephant sits on a fence? Time to get a new fence.

Except I don't get this concept at all and when asked "what time is it when an elephant sits on a fence?" I have always, ALWAYS, responded with "3pm? 5pm? 10am? 10.30am? Come on Daddy is it 4pm? What time is it for goodness sake!" Over the years I have come to decide it's 3pm!! :lol::dance:

I wouldn't get that either and my first reaction would be 'huh?' (on hearing the 'question') 'oh' (after hearing the punchline). Even if someone explained it to me I wouldn't be able to see it in anything other than a 'logical' light - I'd be too busy wondering why an elephant would sit on a fence and trying to visualise how it would physically do it. This kind of 'joke' (the single joke said to colelagues, family etc.) just doesn't work for me

When it comes to laughs though I do like Bottom (oh yes - swearing and mindless violence is always fun)(oh no, maybe the CrimeWatch people were right all along), Morecambe and Wise (the speed and timing), lots of 'older' stuff (Hancock, Bilko etc. - again, the speed and timing) but more 'physical' comedians (Lee Evens, Norman Wisdom etc.) leave me cold as I just don't get it. Same with the Monty Python stuff - it's too 'illogical' to make sense. And then there's 'real world' comedy (as I like to call it) like Ricky Gervais and Curb Your Enthusiasm. What the hell is that all about? Then there's the 'twee' comedy that BBC1 tend to rely on. I can feel myself reaching for the 'off' switch already

Growing up, my parents (especially my dad) always relied on 'dry' humour and throwing caustic remarks about and maybe I enjoy this kind of stuff because it's 'safe' (my mother's ongoing drink problem (which she doesn't actually have), my grandfather's dementia - nothing is/was off limits). Who knows but it does kind of baffle me when people say that Aspies have no sense of humour. I think it's just that we have a 'different' sense of humour...bwuhahahahaha :devil:

have just asked el and her aspie sleep over guest the elephant joke and the looks on their faces was priceless!!! :huh::huh:

maybe the kit could include this joke?

must admit tho am a bit concerned.....i thought it was NT to fold your washin up as you take it off the line? and colour co-ordinate the pegs? :rolleyes:

must admit tho am a bit concerned.....i thought it was NT to fold your washin up as you take it off the line? and colour co-ordinate the pegs? :rolleyes:

Maybe you're AS too and simply haven't realised it. Have you felt the urge to beat a random stranger with a brick? :lol:

Oh no :o ...all hope is lost for me....... :blink: I'm only an hour of so from Newcastle and love the place.....and our most recent holiday (well, short break) was in Dumfries...... :o:wacko::unsure::lol::lol:

Hangs head in shame and slopes off to kitchen for a nice cup of Yorkshire tea :whistle:

I think Emily and TN could be the NEW Morcambe and Wise :notworthy::notworthy:

Anyone like to start a sweepstake to guess how long it'll be until the Daily Mail (amongst others) start a campaign to get these 'timebombs' off the street and locked up (as they rightly should be)?

Oh, Neil, don't be so polite; you know it will be the Mail

Maybe you're AS too and simply haven't realised it. Have you felt the urge to beat a random stranger with a brick? :lol:

Does the SEN officer from the LEA count? :fight:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Morecambe and Wise.......I WISH!

I look more like Johnny Vegas' sister :(

Hey TNT if you are tall and skinny we could resurrect Little'n'Large!! :lol::lol:

Imagine if we held an Aspie stand-up night.....it might be alright if there was no audience B)

Emily

xxx

Morecambe and Wise.......I WISH!

I look more like Johnny Vegas' sister :(

Hey TNT if you are tall and skinny we could resurrect Little'n'Large!! :lol::lol:

Imagine if we held an Aspie stand-up night.....it might be alright if there was no audience B)

Well 5'11'' and kind of 'atheletic' (well apart from a bit of a bad leg - I can hop athletically) - does that count? Don't really see myself as Sid Mr-Personality Little or Eric ("He's a lovely little mover" "Yes, he's on castors" :lol:) Morecambe though

Stand up with a pair of Aspies would be hilarious - they'd just stand there avoiding eye-contact and looking at each others' shoes (and just you watch, the BBC will announce a great new show in a couple of weeks that consists entitely of that - have Vernon Kay (from Bolton) present it and it'll be another Saturday evening ratings hit for sure, or, if you prefer, a shoe-in) :dance:

Edited by TheNeil