pingu

is he been punished?

Hi Guys.

Im on my high horse again. :oops:

Over the course of last week, i lost count of the number of people (children and adults alike) who approached me and mentioned K's behaviour in school. A number of kids reported that he had been sent out of the class / made to sit at the back of the class, and told off in general, because he was interupting the other kids with his flapping/ spinning/ hyperactivity and noises. getting out of his seat (because the work didnt hold his interest) etc.

I also had a conversation with a lady who wishes to remain annonymous as she is training to be a TA. She said the first time she was put in K's class, she was not told of his problems, and she thought he was "just a naughty child" however she realised there was something amiss with him by the end of the lesson as she admitted "going around in circles and eventually going home with the worst headache she had felt in years". :sick:

The teacher said on friday that he had been "very silly" and "needed to be removed a lot", she also said he copes with the mornings but by the afternoon he is beyond himself. (though im sure if i quoted her on this she wouldnt remember it - the teachers get amnesia in most meetings)

This was backed up last night when i was babysitting, and the lad in question is in K's class and he asked me if K would have to come home at dinnertimes? Because apparently the teacher had said to K on friday "If you dont sit down and calm down, you will have to be taken home at lunchtime,.

Now My first thought was Ive already told them about this. they knew what they were taking on in september, when they were telling me that i was over-exagerating his problems, i told them they would need to put a 1-1TA in place and they said that wasn't the case.

now i find that actually we were right, his teacher hasnt said anything to me about him comming home at dinnertimes, (YET) but bring it on. I cant wait.

Going back to my original rant, Is he been punished for been autistic/adhd? as i thought they were supposed to have things in place for when he went off on one (ie- a trip to the sensory garden, or a run around the playground), instead they are sending him out of the class like a naughty boy, and treating him as if he knows excactly what he is doing, which he doesnt !! :bounce: Am i over reacting?

Im gonna set the ball rolling with the statement, but in the meantime i would really love to hear your views on this - to me it smacks of a discrimination of disability rights. help ! :whistle:

Thanks.

shaz (stressed, and disorientated)

:wallbash:

Hi

I think that's disgraceful that an adult was in the classroom assisting without being told of your child's difficulties. I'm also appalled at the he's being treated by the teacher.

Does your child get support? Am I correct in assuming he's in mainstream school? How old is he?

Irrespective of whether your child's stimming is perceived by the teacher as being disruptive - he categorically should not be punished for it. The whole idea of 'Inclusion' is to integrate and allow your child to mix and learn with 'normal' children as well as 'normal' children grasping that some people are a little different, etc. Sending your child to the back of the class isn't constructive. An action plan (IEP) needs to be produced.

I guess one of the first things I'd do is speak to the Educational Psychologist and raise these points. I'd also be speaking to the teacher and tell her that you have some concerns and would like to discuss them with her in the first instance. Some headteachers may not appreciate a teacher being approached in the first instance, so if that's the case, I'd contact the headteacher first.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

UPDATE ~~~~~

Just had a phone call from parent partnership, to inform me that K would not meet the criteria for a statement of educational needs as he is working at a Level 1 in Speaking and Listening / reading and science, and is "working towards" a level 1 in Maths and writing.

In order for a child to meet the criteria at this age they must be bad enough to be only on a "P" level witha range of 1-8 so if he was working at a P5 he would fit the box.

And even though a level 1 is below the national average it still meens he is too intelligent to meet the critera.

<<<<<SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM>>>>>> :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Edited to say - Hi caroline. He is 7 (will be 8 in January) He is on school action + and his iep is as follows.

Areas of concern - Reading. phonics. Spelling, keywords,Handwriting, pencil control/letterformation Maths Number.

Targets:- Be able to spell 5 keywords correctly

Be able to read 10 new keywords

be able to form letters correctly when writing

to be able to stay in place in class

to stay on task to complete a directed task.

I have emailed the ed psychologis. and have given myself a headache in the process.

Edited by pingu

I would make two calls the first to IPSEA http://www.ipsea.org.uk to pursue the statement. You don't have to accept their decision not to statement especially as they are clearly discriminating against your son - and that would be my second phone call to the Disability Discrimination people http://www.sendist.gov.uk/. He is clearly being treat less favourably than his peer group as they are failing to recognise that is has a disability - excuse me while I explode :angry:

Actually for good measure I would make a third call to PP informing them of what I am going to do.

Cat

Edited by Cat

we are in the process of going for a statement for G.

he is very able and his levels are adequate for a child of his age.

HOWEVER he is not reaching his full potential and school are unable to support him fully without additional adult support so we applied for a statement.

it shouldn't matter if he isn't 'low ability' enough!!

where exactly does it say in the code of practice that statements can only be given to those on a P level????????

this really makes me angry.

school/education is about providing the best education possible for all children.

if you feel as though the school are not giving him what he needs and you don't think they can without additional adult support and a statement then i say get your boxing gloves and go for the statement.

Going back to my original rant, Is he been punished for been autistic/adhd? as i thought they were supposed to have things in place for when he went off on one (ie- a trip to the sensory garden, or a run around the playground), instead they are sending him out of the class like a naughty boy, and treating him as if he knows excactly what he is doing, which he doesnt !! :bounce: Am i over reacting?

Im gonna set the ball rolling with the statement, but in the meantime i would really love to hear your views on this - to me it smacks of a discrimination of disability rights. help ! :whistle:

Thanks.

shaz (stressed, and disorientated)

:wallbash:

Hi Shaz

I don't think that you're overreacting. Things were pretty similar for my son at that age. He didn't have a dx until he was 11 and he was constantly being told at school that he was silly and excluded from activities because he was seen as disruptive. Even now with a statement his worries are not understood because he is very bright, therefore he's "manipulative" (according to school). :ph34r:

I think that it is discrimination if your child has a dx and even more so with a statement, but don't quote me on this as I'm not 100% sure. I've never complained about discrimination as it seems to me that you have to prove that your child was excluded from an activity because of his disability, which is not an easy thing to do since schools always play the behaviour card. The road to get the right support for your child is long, but it's worth taking because you can make yourself be heard better with a statement.

Good luck!

Curra XX

That is why my son attends a special school.

In my opinion its the only way to make sure the teachers and all staff have full understanding of our childrens condition.You just spend all yer time banging yer head against a brick wall if there in mainstream.

Hi Shaz, I can understand you getting wound up about school stuff, I get extremely wound up myself about things, especially when you hear things that have been said and you've time on your hands to mull it over and over.

I know when my lad was young and at primary school, he was extremely disruptive and noisy. He'd sit on the carpet making all sorts of noises and jerks, etc. etc. The teacher would keep him there for as long as possible, but after a period of time, when she considered he and everyone else had had enough, she would get his TA to take him outside to play with some Lego or something else. I didn't see this as discriiminating against him, but it was a way of him being included for as long as he could tolerate and then giving him a break if he was getting too noisy, after all, she did have all the other children to teach as well and he was constantly preventing them from being able to concentrate on what she was saying. His teacher would sometimes tell me that he'd been 'silly', but I think that her use of the word silly was just for want of a better word, really. She wasn't saying he was doing stuff on purpose or that he wasn't autistic, just that his behaviour had caused some kind of problem, which it constantly did!

I suppose what I'm saying is, it depends how you feel your teacher is doing it. Is she making your son feel like he is naughty and has done wrong and needs to be excluded as a punishment, or is it more for practical purposes for the benefit of everyone, including him. If he's had enough on the carpet, maybe he needs to go somewhere and let off a bit of steam or do something else, but not for it to be seen as a negative or punishing kind of thing. Does your son go off with a helper or is he just sent off on his own to sit quietly?

Sorry if I've not been helpful, it's just that I know myself that when I get myself all steamed up about something that's happened, it sometimes helps for others to just say, hold the phone, calm down and look at it from another perspective. Hope that makes sense. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

You are not over reacting. The teacher sounds like she has no understanding of his autism and is not managing his behaviour at all appropriately. When my son gets hyperactive or disruptive (which is usally becasue he's sensory overloaded) he either gets taken for a run around the track and obstacle course by his LSA or redirected to a calming activity which currently is snakes and ladders.

I would keep a diary of all these incidents and what exactly has been said to you as it will be useful in proving the school can't meet his needs if you go through the statementing process. I don't understand the whole level thing either. Sounds suspiciously like a blanket policy and again exhibits no understanding of autism being a condition where a child can have normal or near normal intelligence yet be very disabled by it :wallbash: . Is the school able to access help from Autism Outreach or whatever equivalent your LEA has to give advice to his teacher? Would he need a statement to get provision from autism outreach?

On a more practical level my son's sitting has improved a lot at school since we bought him a Movin-sit cushion See here

Lx

It does sound as though they're discriminating against him. Perhaps have a meeting and ask them what they understand about ASDs.

I don't think that you are overreacting - it sounds as though the teacher has little understanding of autism or strategies to use when there are problems.

It is not acceptable that support staff are not being fully briefed about what to expect - how can the school implement consistent support strategies if the TAs are unaware that he is SEN? I would also have problems with a teacher discussing punishments and excluding a child in front of other pupils.

Hello pingu. The call you had from the pp is rubbish :shame: We know what is thought of blanket policies and this is a blanket policy, to say that a child will not be assessed unless they are working at a low level. Speak to ipsea and download the letter yourself to apply for a stat ass. :) You can let school know what you are doing so that they are kept in the picture. I'm sure Ipsea would also love to hear about your authorities criteria for stat. ass. They can probably add it to the huge pile they are already investigating. I don't think you have anything to lose by applying for a stat. ass. yourself but someone with more experience might be able to tell you for certain. Best of luck >:D<<'>

I suppose what I'm saying is, it depends how you feel your teacher is doing it. Is she making your son feel like he is naughty and has done wrong and needs to be excluded as a punishment, or is it more for practical purposes for the benefit of everyone, including him. If he's had enough on the carpet, maybe he needs to go somewhere and let off a bit of steam or do something else, but not for it to be seen as a negative or punishing kind of thing. Does your son go off with a helper or is he just sent off on his own to sit quietly?

Hi Mel. >:D<<'> I understand exactly what you are saying. the thing is, i knew this would happen, so in september i tried to get some "ground rules" or "plan B's" into place, by saying, = If kieran was to become disruptive/hyper/etc, would it be possible (instead of "punishing him") to let him have 5 minutes running it off/in the toilets/sensory garden. anything to get him to calm down. and what in actual fact has happened, is he is been shown the door. (mostly alone) and when they find him wandering about, they then have a go with him for not sitting where they left him. He sometimes is accompanied by his TA. But this lass is doing a course at college, and is only in his class as part of a placement, It has been known that another child has been giving the job of sitting with him whilst he calms down. My point is. if he is sent out either alone with a TA or child, he is not going to calm down, he needs to be doing something to help with the original cause of him becoming hyper (i.e run around)

I know this sounds feeble, but he really cant sit still for 20 seconds, and they know this.

So whilst i don't blame the teacher for giving the class (and himself) a break - i just argue that the appropriateness of "the break" is totally wrong.

Thanks for all your replies though. >:D<<'>

shaz

wow. whilst i was writing my last reply, 3 of you posted at once. I must say you all have valid points,

Hello pingu. The call you had from the pp is rubbish We know what is thought of blanket policies and this is a blanket policy, to say that a child will not be assessed unless they are working at a low level. Speak to ipsea and download the letter yourself to apply for a stat ass. You can let school know what you are doing so that they are kept in the picture. I'm sure Ipsea would also love to hear about your authorities criteria for stat. ass. They can probably add it to the huge pile they are already investigating. I don't think you have anything to lose by applying for a stat. ass. yourself but someone with more experience might be able to tell you for certain. Best of luck

thanks for this LKS. and thanks to everyone else. it makes it worth the fight if i know i have the support. Please keep your opinions comming, im going to print them all out, and all the valid points im going to inprint on my brain for the next meeting. !! >:D<<'>

Hi Mel. >:D<<'> I understand exactly what you are saying. the thing is, i knew this would happen, so in september i tried to get some "ground rules" or "plan B's" into place, by saying, = If kieran was to become disruptive/hyper/etc, would it be possible (instead of "punishing him") to let him have 5 minutes running it off/in the toilets/sensory garden. anything to get him to calm down. and what in actual fact has happened, is he is been shown the door. (mostly alone) and when they find him wandering about, they then have a go with him for not sitting where they left him. He sometimes is accompanied by his TA. But this lass is doing a course at college, and is only in his class as part of a placement, It has been known that another child has been giving the job of sitting with him whilst he calms down. My point is. if he is sent out either alone with a TA or child, he is not going to calm down, he needs to be doing something to help with the original cause of him becoming hyper (i.e run around)

I know this sounds feeble, but he really cant sit still for 20 seconds, and they know this.

So whilst i don't blame the teacher for giving the class (and himself) a break - i just argue that the appropriateness of "the break" is totally wrong.

Thanks for all your replies though. >:D<<'>

shaz

Yes, I see what you're saying, shaz. It really is HOW they manage the sending out and what support they give him when he goes out and it doesn't sound like they have a plan of action for what to do with him or how to manage him when he's gone outside. They need to firm this up and do the same thing each time and not make it seem like a punishment, just an activity he moves on to as part of his curriculum.

Could you set up a meeting with the school or get them to put in writing what particular strategies they use at these times to clarify? They might find it easier to stick to it if it's in writing. My J had a 'special box' with little toys and bits and bobs in and when he'd had enough of classroom stuff he went to his box and this worked really well.

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Shaz

Areas of concern - Reading. phonics. Spelling, keywords,Handwriting, pencil control/letterformation Maths Number.

Targets:- Be able to spell 5 keywords correctly

Be able to read 10 new keywords

be able to form letters correctly when writing

Everything you said above is exactly the same as my k the except the last two things as he is on medication for his adhd which seems tp take the edge off it abit.

On the assesment from the OT she said that he was below average for everything, yet he hasnt got a ILP either which i would if thought they would of started doing because of this, however they are waiting for a place for him in the learning support unit in another school as they feel he would benefit this more.

With k its the opposite way round to your keiran i think i've told you before he has ADHD but is waiting to be assessed for AS.

I find this hard to get through to the school as they say that he needs to try harder and thats the only feedback i usually get from them.

Yet in the next breath they say that they feel its his communication thats the problem he cant understand them and vice versa :blink: (never)

They also stopped him staying for lunch, as they said his behaviour was too disruptive and when he learned what was acceptable they would think about letting him return.

THEY HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Hi,

:wallbash::wallbash:

This sounds familiar! Kai was treated in this way by his teachers when he was in mainstream. It wasn't that they were not nice people, more of a total lack of understanding of his needs. His IEP stated that he needed to "learn" to stay on task and remain seated :wallbash: .

I was told by my LEA that Kai was not "low functioning" enough for a statement. I then found out (although i can't remember where) that if a child is on school action plus and their needs aren't being met, then they qualify for a statutory assessment. It took two applications, but we finally got a statement.

I do think that your son is being discriminated against and punished for being autistic, although i don't think it's intentional, IYKWIM.

Loulou xx

We too were told that we didn't stand a chance getting statements for either of my two children because they were doing too well academically. They now both have statements!!!

My friends son was in all top groups when he got his statement and the following year went on to grammar school with 1:1 LSA support, so it can be done. Don't accept what pp are telling you. It's rubbish.

Lisa

Just had a phone call from parent partnership, to inform me that K would not meet the criteria for a statement of educational needs as he is working at a Level 1 in Speaking and Listening / reading and science, and is "working towards" a level 1 in Maths and writing.

In order for a child to meet the criteria at this age they must be bad enough to be only on a "P" level witha range of 1-8 so if he was working at a P5 he would fit the box.

And even though a level 1 is below the national average it still meens he is too intelligent to meet the critera.

Code of Practice says:

7:43 LEAs should also seek evidence of any other identifiable factors that could impact on

learning outcomes including:

clear, recorded evidence of clumsiness; significant difficulties of sequencing or visual

perception; deficiencies in working memory; or significant delays in language

functioning

any evidence of impaired social interaction or communication or a significantly

restricted repertoire of activities, interests and imaginative development

evidence of significant emotional or behavioural difficulties, as indicated by clear

recorded examples of withdrawn or disruptive behaviour; a marked and persistent

inability to concentrate; signs that the child experiences considerable frustration or

distress in relation to their learning difficulties; difficulties in establishing and

maintaining balanced relationships with their fellow pupils or with adults; and any other

evidence of a significant delay in the development of life and social skills.

7:52 This guidance does not assume that there are hard and fast categories of special

educational need. It recognises, as LEAs will recognise, that each child is unique and that

the questions asked by LEAs should reflect the particular circumstances of that child.

LEAs should recognise that there is a wide spectrum of special educational needs that

are frequently inter-related, although there are also specific needs that usually relate

directly to particular types of impairment. Children will have needs and requirements

which may fall into at least one of four areas, many children will have inter-related needs.

The impact of these combinations on the child?s ability to function, learn and succeed

should be taken into account. The areas of need are:

communication and interaction

cognition and learning

behaviour, emotional and social development

sensory and/or physical.

7:53 Although needs and requirements can usefully be organised into areas, individual pupils

may well have needs which span two or more areas. For example, a pupil with general

learning difficulties may also have behavioural difficulties or a sensory impairment. Where

needs are complex in this sense it is important to carry out a detailed assessment of

individual pupils and their situations. However, the accumulation of low-level difficulties

may not in itself equate with a school being unable to meet the child?s needs through

school-based provision. In some cases pupils will have needs that are not only complex

but also severe.

Sections 7:55-7:67 give more detail of the particulars and examples of the areas of need listed in 7:52 - may be worth a letter to the LEA drawing their attention to these areas described in the code :devil:

Thank you so much UltraMum. I was trying to sift my way through the many pages of the code of conduct, but now you have given me what i was looking for. thats great >:D<<'>

I had a call back from PP yesterday, to say that she has been in touch with the educational psychologist and also the school, they have now agreed that K is struggling in school and will start the ball rolling on "there terms" in january. I am pleased that they are finially taking this seriuosly, but frustrated that we have to play by there rules yet again.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

shaz

Hi, sounds like we're in a similar situation, Shaz. We're in Scotland so the terminology is slightly different, but my 7-year-old (8 in January) was dx in June - AS. His assessments showed him to have a very high IQ, and academically he's doing fine (so he doesn't need an IEP, however he's to get a CSP - coordinated support plan), but his teacher is of the attitude that because he's so bright, he is aware of his behaviours and can control them... "He knows exactly what he's doing, you know, and he can't use his Aspergers as an excuse...." blah, blah, blah :whistle: ! The topic I posted earlier tonight (entitled "Help!!") will give you an idea of how he's doing at the moment. I've reached the end of my tether, and I am going to move him to my school (I'm a teacher) after Xmas. At least there, the staff have experience of ASD, and know how to deal with it. It's just a shame that it has come to having to move him though.

Sorry, I'm not able to give any advice, but at least you know you're not alone....

Thank you so much UltraMum. I was trying to sift my way through the many pages of the code of conduct, but now you have given me what i was looking for. thats great >:D<<'>

I had a call back from PP yesterday, to say that she has been in touch with the educational psychologist and also the school, they have now agreed that K is struggling in school and will start the ball rolling on "there terms" in january. I am pleased that they are finially taking this seriuosly, but frustrated that we have to play by there rules yet again.

shaz

Just make sure that January doesn't turn into February ..... my son's school agreed to apply for a statement in the JUne and it was November before the forms went in ....

shaz

Hi Shaz - forget "their terms" and call their bluff. You can make something called a parental request for assessment. Get as much support as you can from those who know K - especially paediatrician, psychologist, speech therapist, OT or whoever else you've come across on your travels - and go for it. Sample letters are on the IPSEA site. Don't wait for them. Just go ahead and do it.

We did - 26 weeks later we had a statement.

Good luck

edited to say - can't see letters on IPSEA site, but here's one from the Advisory Centre for Education (www.ace-ed.org.uk):

To: the Director of Education

Send the letter to your Local Education Authority - generally the one in the area where your child ordinarily lives. Send a copy of your letter to the school.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to ask you to assess the educational needs of my daughter/son {give your child?s name and date of birth} under Section 323 of the Education Act 1996.

I am making this request as is my right under Section 329 of the Act.

I think my child may need more help than the school can provide at Action Plus. {Say which school your child attends. If your child has been receiving help, say what this is and why you think it is not enough.}

I have written my views on my child?s difficulties in the enclosed report. {You can send a report now or later - see Step 9}.

The following people are involved with my child and I would like you to get advice from them. {List the people involved with your child}.

I am also sending you copies of other reports which may help you make your decision. {Send copies of any reports you may have from a teacher, educational psychologist, doctor etc.}

Yours sincerely,

{Your name}

Parent

Edited by jomica

thankyou Jomica.

That is Very Very helpful. Id be lost without you lot i swear. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

shaz

Hi, I too think you should not wait for school to apply, but request an assessment yourself (and make school aware of that - maybe ask for a letter from them to submit with your request, although they will contact school to get views when they are deciding whether to make an assesment just in case they cannot produce something quickly)

When my son was four the local nursery would not admit him without a statement, and his paediatrician said he would apply for me. I had to withdraw him from a playgroup due to his behaviour and I expressed my frustration to a local early years special needs teacher who told me that I had the right to request a statement. I wrote a letter (the example you have been given looks very good), and I send lots of supporting evidence in with it. In addition the lady who advised me to request an assessment also emailed the LEA supporting my request. At that time he was not diagnosed with anything other than emotional/behaviour difficulties.

After reviewing evidence they agreed he needed an assessment, and things started moving forward with him being assessed by educational psychologist and other professionals. They found him to be above average intelligence, but he was given a statement in time for him to start in the foundation year.

His statement has been maintained since then (he is now in yr3) because he still needs a lot of support with social, emotional, motor skills development etc. His SATS results were average for most areas, with above average for reading and below average for handwriting. What I am trying to say is that I cannot understand parent partnership saying that to you. In our area parent partnership are supposed to help and advise parents of children with special educational needs, and in my case this is what they did. Is it different in your area?

Good luck with the application, I hope your child gets the help they need.

Also I agree I think the school are not very understanding, and I think it is unacceptable that they have people working in the class who are not aware of his special needs. Also leaving a child to help/ deal with him while he calms down is not fair at all!

The situation was worse back when I was at primary school. It was common practice in the pre National Curriculum era for teachers to punish kids by preventing them from attending lessons that were considered as fun. Schools also had a tendency to prioritise lessons where English and maths were seen as high priority and music and computers were seen as lower priority. If a kid hadn't completed their work in a maths lesson during the morning then the teacher might not allow them to attend a music lesson in the afternoon, and put them into detention with a maths book.

Prioritising lessons this way is illegal under the National Curriculum, and schools cannot prevent kids from attending lessons that cover National Curriculum material. Therefore, if a kid hadn't completed their work in a maths lesson during the morning then the teacher has no choice but to include them in a music lesson in the afternoon. Many primary school teachers resented this change in legislation thinking that it would lead to a lowering of standards because kids will find out they can get away with bad behaviour and refusal to do work in some lessons because they will get to do fun things by default.

iF YOU WAIT FOR THE BALL TO START ROLLING IN JAN AS A RESULT OF PROFESSIONAL INTRAVENTION THE LEAS ARE NOT TIED TO A TIME SCALE IE THE STATEMENTING PROCESS WILL DRAG ON AND ON!

IF YOU AS A PARENT REQUEST IT THEY ARE TIED TO A 26 WEEK TIMETABLE - THEY DONT LIKE IT AS IT MEANS THEY HAVE TO GET THEIR FINGER OUT AND HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!

MAE THEM WORK!

yOU SAID YOUR CHILD DOES NOT MEAN THE CRITERIA AS PER PP How do they know? Do they have a copy of the leas criteria?

I would ask them for a copy, if their is a balnket policy this may be very helpful to you and Ipsea would love to know about it!