TheNeil

Need Some Advice...Quickly

I was on interview on Wednesday and I've now been offered the job ('Oh thank God for that - maybe he'll shut up whinging every couple of weeks'). :notworthy:

This should be good news but I'm having an 'I don't know what to do' moment.

On the plus side it's in central Leeds (5 minute walk from where I am now) which means no change to routine, it's not where I am now (major plus point), the feedback I've had is that they really liked me, it's new technology (rather than old stuff which is making it harder and harder for me to find new jobs) and it's a little bit more cash. It's also a concrete offer and not a 'maybe'. :thumbs:

On the down side, the people who interviewed me seemed a little bit 'cut throat', I have another interview next week for a better paid job (but would involve more travelling, no new technology (i.e. a bit 'dead end') and far more disruption to my routine), I'd have to go on external training courses (pretty much as soon as I started), I'd be 'on call' one week a month (although I would get �2000-�3000 extra a year for having to do this - I didn't find out about this 'bonus' until this morning though). :crying:

The job agency keep telling me that this firm are great to work with but is this the truth or am I just being given 'flannel' to get me to take the job (and therefore get them the commision)?

Oh God, I don't know what to do. Should I take the offer I've got and get out (taking a leap into the unknown in the process) or should I hold out just in case something else comes along (which will also involve a leap into the unknown)? What if it all goes wrong and they're awful people? What if current work offers to pay me a lot more cash when I hand my resignation in (notice that I said 'when', not 'if')? :unsure:

I think there are a lot of plus points to this job you have just been offered.

The interview you have next week - you are not certain to get it, and there seem to be a lot of downsides to it, even if you did get it. The extra money is not actually a huge amount anyway.

All change is scary, but it does sound like this is a really good offer.

Hi Theneil

Is there anyway of finding out more about the company that offered you the job?

You say the interviewers were cutthroat but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole company is ruthless. Interviews are not the best way to get an impression of a workplace and a lot may depend on the interviewer. Were you shown around the place? and if not it might be worth asking if it is too late to have a scout round. If you see a few friendly faces it could be the ideal job for you. If people look stressed and hostile don't take the job.

Congratulations on the job offer anyway!

TN

Think very hard about why you want the 'better paid' job. There is no point in having a better paid job now if your skills are going to go out of date. I am guessing that either job will be enough to 'get by' so put the money issue to one side and concerntrate on whether or not the other aspects of the job are right and where you would be happy.

Unless the new interview will lead to a job offer very quickly, it might not be worth risking a concrete job offer for the chance of a different job, but only you can make the final decision.

Good luck!

Simon

The agency reckon (and how much truth is in this is open to debate) that the two guys were following 'company procedure' when it came to the interview and that it's actually a very laid back, relaxed and great environment to work in.

I did get given a very brief 'this is the IT department' (a room of about 150 people) but that was all I got to see. I had a look at the company's web site but it didn't really tell me that much about what I'd be doing ('corporate' is usually a world away from 'IT').

At the moment I'm thinking...take it. It can't be any worse than where I am now, I'll get some new skills/training (making it easier to leave if things do go wrong)(there's positive thinking for you), it's a little bit of extra cash and the work itself will be better. And, as Tally rightly points out, it's a definite offer...next week's interview is in no way guaranteed to turn into a job offer. No matter where I go to it'll be scary so maybe I should treat that as a 'non-problem' and look at all of the other points.

Why is life always so difficult? :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS! When do you start ? :whistle::lol:

Sounds like a great opportunity *but if it turns out to be a sweat shop it was your sole decision! :lol: *

A x

Congratulations on being offered the job! :thumbs:

There are so many unknowns and what ifs in this kind of situation and you can only make the decision based on what you know now. The new job may not turn out to be perfect, but it sounds as though it has most of the elements you've been looking for.

Whether or not you take the job, at least you know they like you and they want you: a great confidence boost!

K x

Go easy on yourself. I went thriugh the same kind of process abut three years ago with one offer, another offer awaited and an upcoming interview. It's not easy!

Main thing for now is to make it clear to everyone that there will be no decision today, whatever you decide you will need the weekend to mull things over but agencies can push for instant decsions before you are ready if you let them.

Simon

I would look at the positives that you wrote about the new job that you have been offered so no thoughts of will I get the job, its yours, the better techno and the great news about how close it is to get too and from.

I think that interviewing people can be very harsh because people want the right people and so you dont know who they had before they interviewed you and maybe came across as a bit strong because they want to make sure that you will fit into their buisness.

I would go and start to get to grips with the new technology, the new trainging courses and maybe it will work out that a bonus will gradually come once you are noticed for the excellent work you do.

The negatives you gave for the job you are going for an interview dont seem as good as the job that already waiting for you.

once you have settled in and got into a routine then review your employment and maybe if your still thinking there has to be better then go for it.

look again at the job you have been offered:

Local

better techno

people said they seemed to like you already

On going training

Listen to your heart is a saying I like to go with.

JsMum

I think I have a plan (thank God). I'll stall the agency until Monday (shouldn't be tough, mobiles phones are a wonderful thing...when switched off), accept the job, go for the interview next Thursday and then, if it's better, accept that instead (and, if the first agency moan, tough - they're only in it for the money, pretty sure that my happiness is not high on their list of priorities).

I agree with what's already been said...you've listed the positive reasons for taking the new job. Any new venture is a little scary. What is your gut feeling? I also agree with Mossgrove re the decision, you really need the weekend to think it over, expecting an instant decision is ridiculous.

Good luck whatever you decide! And well done on getting the offer :clap::dance:

hi the neil....its the old frying pan into the fire synario....i suppose you wont know if you dont try to go for another job.hmmmmmm.yup i think you should keep all your options open.and make it clear to anyone who asks that you are intrested in changing jobs...know your worth and wait for the right money....i hate changing jobs and i have to say i know within days if i have made a mistake..... :( groan.....but once you have moved, it should not be so hard the next time >:D<<'> ....stay possitive, :dance: at the end of the day what are they going to do to you???? :bancomp: ....just dont get in a panic.....love noogsy

It's brilliant news that you've been offered the job, TheNeil, well done, that must be a real boost to your confidence. :P>:D<<'>

That's the trouble with the 'unknown' though, isn't it, we just don't know!! :lol: I guess if you're not happy where you are, you could take the fatalistic view and think what have you got to lose?? Even if you don't like the new job, you're no worse off, and, in fact, you'll have more money so you'll be better off. You never know, you might even love it and the people might be really great, so then you'll be even better off.

I know what you mean, though, change is scary, but I'd be inclined to think 'go for it' (I know it's easy for me to say though).

Good luck with the decision and well done again!! :P:thumbs::thumbs:

~ Mel ~

At the moment I'm thinking...take it. It can't be any worse than where I am now, I'll get some new skills/training (making it easier to leave if things do go wrong)(there's positive thinking for you), it's a little bit of extra cash and the work itself will be better. And, as Tally rightly points out, it's a definite offer...next week's interview is in no way guaranteed to turn into a job offer. No matter where I go to it'll be scary so maybe I should treat that as a 'non-problem' and look at all of the other points.

Totally agree TN...thanks for answering for me :P

DH says "Take it, can't be any worse than what you are coping with now" ......man of few words :lol::lol::lol:

Well done btw, time for a celebration......you buying?......well....you will be earning abit more now, and we have a bungalow to pay for :P

Let us know how you get on with the other interview too......oohhhh, I feel a Cliff number coming on B)

Congratulations (and celebrations . . .) on the job offer TN :D:partytime:

I think you're absolutely right to keep your options open. If you can at least visit both places you might get some feel of where you'd be more comfortable. However, from what you've said, I think the 'concrete' offer has many things that I would see as positive to you (less change in routine - and as any change in job is going to be stressful to keep something 'similar' has got to be helpful, working with newer technology etc.) From my own experience, I know that taking a job for the money isn't a good idea, and if you don't need to worry about this (and I'm assuming you don't as you'll still be on more than you currently are in the 'concrete' job) then other factors have to be more important.

Hi

Congratulations on your job offer.

To a point, I'm not sure that anyone is necessarily comfortable with change or the unknown. It can be all very nerve-wracking and stressful, especially for someone with an ASD (my son has AS and I'm worried how he's going to cope with moving house in May). But you know what .... if you don't try, you won't know! If you can do a bit of homework and find out as much as you can about who you'll be working with, what the people are like, etc that might help. Is it possible you could take a day's annual leave and volunteer to go in for a few hours to get a feel for the place?

It sounds like the other job wouldn't be as challenging (no new technology) and travelling which would change your routine.

I guess you need to weigh up how unhappy you are in your current job (it doesn't just seem to have been a phase!) and you have to work out what's the worst that can happen if you accept the job and you don't like it.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

Caroline.

Thanks people for all the advice, positives and everything else (and thanks to everyone for putting up with my complaining, moaning, whinging and moping for the past few months - you lot really have made a big difference >:D<<'>)(although if you think you're getting rid of me that easily then you've got another thing coming :devil:).

I've done a lot of thinking this afternoon/evening and have decided to go with the concrete job offer and give the other job the heave ho. I'm 99.99% certain I've made the right decision. :pray:

No matter where I go to it's going to be a leap into the unknown so I might as well leap into something that should be easier to leap out of if it all goes wrong (yep, always look on the bright side...and have an escape plan ready just in case :lol:). OK the cash might be less in this job than the other job but it's still more than I'm on now and cash isn't my reason for changing jobs this time anyway - can't let money get in the way of making a clear decision.

So on Monday I'll tell the agency that Thunderbirds Are Go or whatever it is that you're supposed to say these days, wait for some nice official letter and then hand in my resignation letter and wait for the carnage to ensue (not that I over-rate myself or anything :devil:). I can now spend a couple of days thinking up a load of totally unreasonable demands to suggest to my boss if he tries to beg me to stay...like anything could keep me there. :shame:

I suppose, in time honoured tradition, I'm obliged to buy everyone a drink now so...party!

:pepsi::party::drunk::gather::whistle::band::dance::cheers::balloon::sick::jester::wine:

Well done, matey! It was only a matter of time before someone saw the light and made you an offer.

I think I have a plan (thank God). I'll stall the agency until Monday (shouldn't be tough, mobiles phones are a wonderful thing...when switched off), accept the job, go for the interview next Thursday and then, if it's better, accept that instead (and, if the first agency moan, tough - they're only in it for the money, pretty sure that my happiness is not high on their list of priorities).

I think that's an excellent plan. Let's face it, there's no loyalty in the job market and you've got to look out for yourself. People accept jobs then turn them down again days later all the time, and that's because they do exactly what you're intending to do and keep their options open. Nothing is definite until contracts are signed anyway, so you'll not be behaving offensively if you do prefer the other job.

TBH I think the one you've been offered now will be best for you - too much 'maybe' in the other one, and you have a lot of other factors to consider aside from whether or not the job itself is what you want.

Really chuffed for you. How about we celebrate with another Newcastle meet-up?!

Karen

x

Really chuffed for you. How about we celebrate with another Newcastle meet-up?!

Is this a subtle hint that I should put my organising hat on again? I suppose I have now recovered from the last one so...hmmm. Watch this space (or, better still, the Off Topic pages) :dance:

This time everyone can recognise each other by bringing along copies of my book (3 more weeks to go and then it gets released - bwuhahahaha :devil:)

Great! I think you've made the right decision for you :D

So on Monday I'll tell the agency that Thunderbirds Are Go

Erm . . . I thought you wanted this job . . . ? :P:lol: I'd save the insanity at least till they've given you a desk! :lol::devil:

I can now spend a couple of days thinking up a load of totally unreasonable demands to suggest to my boss if he tries to beg me to stay...like anything could keep me there. :shame:

Just one word of warning from my own experience - however much you hate your current job and want to tell them exactly what you think of their lack of support understanding etc etc, keep the resignation letter and any conversations really simple and to the point - that you're leaving, when you're leaving, any contractual obligations etc - think the rest but don't write or say it. It might seem irrelevant now, but sometime in the future a prospective employer may just decide to contact your old employer to find out about you :oops::oops: (that letter that you thought had travelled to the landfill a long time ago has an uncanny knack of resurfacing at the worst time possible) :tearful::tearful:

How about we celebrate with another Newcastle meet-up?!

Is this a subtle hint that I should put my organising hat on again? I suppose I have now recovered from the last one so...hmmm. Watch this space (or, better still, the Off Topic pages) :dance:

Erm . . . Newcastle - that's up in the Land of the North isn't it? Where the polar bears live if I'm not very much mistaken. I read about your meetup - sounded good (even for me who isn't exactly renowned for doing 'social') - anything like that happen in the South? :pray::jester::party:

I suppose, in time honoured tradition, I'm obliged to buy everyone a drink now so...party!

:pepsi::party::drunk::gather::whistle::band::dance::cheers::balloon::sick::jester::wine:

It'll be a double vodka and lemonade for me then :P and a visit to F & Bs..............for a bit of Cliff :wub::wub::wub: Oh go on you know you love him really :lol:

I'm so pleased for you Neil. Change is scary but it sounds like there are a lot of positives in the new job.........not least the chance to keep your skills up to date.......that'll make you more employable in the future if you ever want to leave this one............which I'm sure you wont :D

Well done, now enjoy feeling quietly smug when you go in to work on Monday, well done :notworthy:

SV

PS you would have had more :notworthy: but the board wouldnt allow and I had to delete some.

well done on getting the job!!!! and dont forget to take your brick in case they are nasty when you get there..... :lol:

I never go anywhere with my handy housebrick :devil: