Sign in to follow this  
llisa32

Early morning wakening

Hiya,

J is driving us and himself nuts with his constant early wake ups! It's always been the same but as he's now a bit older and far more active he gets way more tired. No matter what time he goes to bed he'll get up at the crack of dawn. Once he's awake he just cannot/willnot go back to sleep. If it's after 5am I have no chance at all of persuading him he should go back. He's now sussed that if he goes into the lounge quietly enough we won't notice he's up...so it's only when we then get up around 6.45 we find out he's been up an hour or more before us.

Is this a common theme and what have others done...I'm starting to despair cos when he gets tired he's really short tempered and ratty.

ds is like this and it doesn't matter how late he goes to bed!!! When he was 3/4 years he was up at 5am every morning, he is now nearly 8 and sleeps in till nearer 6am!!

Hope it gets better

Carrie

We have always had the same problem, and C, now that he's 8, also keeps quiet so we don't prise him back into bed. My only solution - put him to bed earlier (with the help of melatonin) - that way he gets more sleep and is less grumpy. Hope yours isn't the earlier-to-bed-earlier-to-rise variety :tearful:

Hope this helps....

Hi L is nearly five and has always been like that as well. He still sleeps in my room so we end up with thomas on at all hours of the morning. This was the only way i could stop him charging around the flat waking the neighbours up. He does take melatonin but as yet i have little result with it. The pead did say he could be a child that doesnt need a lot of sleep but unfortunatly mum does :unsure::

opheila

Just to offer some hope...

My son always woke at 5.30am for years and years ('Morning! Nice day now!' :lol::hypno: ).

However, now that he's nearly 18 he doesn't appear anytime before midday, and then only if he's hungry! :ph34r::shame::lol:

Bid

Well, it does get better.

When B was under 6, he used to wake up around 5.30 am. Then from 6-9, he used to wake up at around

6-6.30am. From 9-12 it's usually around 7am.

This is also the reason why I can't do spontaneous baking. Why? you all ask in bewilderment.

Because when he woke up early, he used to sneak downstairs and play with lego and puzzles and stuff.

Then he'd get peckish.

He has been known to eat an entire block of marzipan

a tin of Golden Syrup

a pot of glace cherries

a packet of chocolate drops

Any sugar decorations he could get his mitts on

And was caught red-handed ( so to speak) with a box of icing sugar and a dessert spoon.

Yes, there was a lock on the door, but apparently he knew where the key was.

Although he is now slim and elegant, with the beginnings of a reasonable physique, there was a time, ladies, when his weight soared well above the 97th centile!

And he has always slept well once in bed. Even now, his bed time is before 9pm, and he's unconscious by 9.20.

So it won't be long before, like bid's, he's asleep til midday ( like his sister) and rising to eat.

But I no longer have a baking cupboard.

B (age 5) regularly wakes early about 4.30. It is worse in the summer when it gets light earlier. I let him get into my bed so I can at least stay there myself for a bit longer and try to doze while he is wriggling, giggling and pinching me. When I've had enough of being pinched we get up and have an early breakfast.This morning he did it again but after a while he crawled down the bottom of the bed, stuck his head out of the other end of the quilt and went back to sleep. Yippee! We then spent the rest of the night sleeping head to tail. I even got a bit of a lay in cos he was quite happy there and slept well!! When he did wake up again he looked a bit confused about where he was. :lol::lol:

We've been awake since 3am!!!! This is common, if we drug her up to the eyeballs she sometimes goes back to sleep, usually taking 4hrs, but at weekends and hols we give the meds a rest, hence being awake since 3am!!!!

A x

He has been known to eat an entire block of marzipan

That's my trick!!! I always knew when my mum would be getting the marzipan in for the Christmas and Easter cakes!!! Found out much later she used to get two packs in and hide one because she knew I'd eat it. :lol:

As to sleeping, I'm an early riser and always have been. Now as a student I would be classed a very earlier riser. I still find it amusing when the fire alarms go off around 6am - I'm usually up and dressed - and the other students drag themselves out semi dressed and half asleep :lol::lol:

However, I do need a lot of sleep or I get really grumpy and iritable (ok - no change there!) so I have to go to bed earlier than most students, which doesn't really help in terms of getting on with people. I'm normally off to bed when the students are off out to the clubs.

I think it's good that your son's happy to get up and amuse himself - as long as he's safe this seems ok. I would try earlier bedtimes if it helps him get the sleep he needs (also gives you more time in the evenings) - you can always revert if you find he's getting up even earlier - it may just be that he doesn't need so much sleep.

my son is five and has slept in maybe past 7 on like 3 occasions, the earlier he goes to bed, i used to get regular 4 am wake ups, now its bewtween 4 and 5 , im a walking zombie , he wont sleep alone so that means im up too, he has been known to wake at one two three and get up for two hours, which means i have to watch fireman sam on the sofa..has anyone heard that song "try walk in my shoes before you criticse and abuse" ? i always think of uslot on here when i hear it

It's not just us then!! O seems to have cycles of sleeping patterns. He falls asleep any time between 9.30 and 11.00pm and rarely sleeps past 5am. This is a lie in! Other times he gets up about 1am and that is it for the night. He also then is happily awake all the next day. He can keep this pattern up for weeks and just when I really feel I can't go on he starts sleeping in til 5 again. He's very noisy whenever he's awake so usually we end up downstairs with the ******** teletubbies!! Sometimes I go to work and I haven't slept. I feel really awful when that happens. How does anyone else deal with that? Think I might try those proplus things

Elun xxx

Ds has always been a rela early riser - something which really does not come naturally to me!!

In the early years, if he slept past 5 that was a relief!!It has got slightly better of recent times m- he is now 8, but he rarely goes to sleep before 10 and more often is awake later until when I really want to be asleep. He will now go down and watch TV but hasnt mastered quietlyyet!!

The thing that gets me is that he has big circles uder his eyes and really often does need a bit more sleep, but he likes to set his alarm for 6.30 (we have negotiated to 6.30 it used to be earlier) and is often ready for school by 6.45!! He does need less slepp than me and I have accepted that he needs to control his waking and I have to go with the flow!!

The idea of lie ins are still a dream for me!!

I sometimes wish I could sleep more deeply!! (but I think it is probably a safety mechanism that wakes me!!)

Love and hugs

Phoebe

Both my kids and my hubby do it. It doesnt matter how late they go to sleep they are still up at the crack of dawn every morning. The only suggestion I can make is buy a TV and DVD player and put it in their room! My son isnt bothered about toys, other than Dr Who stuff that is, so he has a subscription to cable TV every year for his birthday and Christmas. If he wakes up too early (by that I mean before 5am) he watches Cartoon Network which is thankfully on 24/7!

HTH

Sarah

jord wakes at 4.30 am every day has done this since he was born hes 10 now !!! trouble is he wakes everybody else up :crying: doesnt matter what time he goes bed. My friend decided a year ago that she would sort this out (no it all ) and had him for 8 days putting him bed at 10pm everynight and guess what yep up at 4.30 am ha ha lol pmsl she was going to have him for 3 weeks and sent him home after 8 days. so he still goes bed at 7pm :thumbs: we have tried everything alarm clocks etc but he cant tell the time. i am awaiting a 4 bed house so i can lock him in his room and tie him to the bed :whistle: (lol not really)

btw my friend lives in the same street i didnt send him to aussie lol

Edited by rach04

dan wakes up anytime between 5 and 6.

friends and family always used to mock me saying i was always in bed well if they tried our sleeping patterns i think they would do the same.

i only used to have a couple of hours to reboot my batteries and i say used to because i havent had a baby nap since xmas,it was getting to me my days were passing in a blure so no matter what i just get through the day,how any of us do it i dont know i think its that thing called GOT NO CHOICE :crying:

Kieran has spells where he gets up early but saying that he s never been an early to bed person he s been know to still be on his xbox at 1 am but i find it harder to stay up with him lol. And i dont do what dh as been known to do leave him up alone noooooo yes he is 21 but i cannot turn off to sleep untill i hear his bedroom door shut and his light switching off.He s not as bad this year but as soon as the clocks changed and it became light he thought he should get up the latest i think ive known him to get up is 11 on the odd occasion.If im up and he isnt i tip toe around the house as i lkie a bit of quiet in the morning nad its straight in the living room tv on or a dvd or xbox or playstaion and thats it for the day.Thank goodness for work.escapism.When i asked him once why he was up so early he said sleepings a waste of time.Yes xboxing time lol

lynn