Alyth_mum

New Skill?

It was ES's turn to go school clothes shopping today - only 13 days left until school restarts......

We were lucky in Clarks that it was less than 20mins for feet being measured - and then they said old shoes were still OK for a bit (Big size 9F) :balloon:

Even managed trousers without too much hassle. :first:

ES was adamant that he was going to MacDonalds for lunch - he had found evidence that DD had had a MacDonalds on Sunday when she had her school clothes shop. :oops:

The agreement we came to - under pressure- was that he could have a MacDonald if HE paced the order with my money. He knew what he wanted but found the idea of ordering it extremley stressful.

BUT he did it ...... he said it was scary - I suggested that he needed more practice - he immediately said 'No' until it was pointed out that he would have to come back for another MacDonalds meal at which point he changed his mind and decided that he would definetly need more pratice. :eat:

So now at the age of 14yrs 9+months my son can order himself a meal (of sorts) :clap:

Louise

" He knew what he wanted but found the idea of ordering it extremley stressful.

BUT he did it "

That says it all really. That's what courage is, being afraid and managing to cope with the fear.

What a star!

And well done you, for working out the correct motivation.

:groupwave::thumbs::thumbs::band:

That's an excellent step, Louise, well done both of you! :thumbs::notworthy:

I'm trying to teach indepedence skills to my lad at the mo, he's almost 14 too. Yesterday he managed to stand outside our local shop while I popped in for something. The first time I tried it last week he went totally to pieces, but yesterday he had his watch to time me and I gave him the house keys to hold for me and he was a lot better. I'm trying it again tomorrow and am going to move him away from the door a bit this time, the idea is to gradually edge him away from the shop until he's waiting for me at home!! :whistle::lol:

Very small steps with our kids, but we'll get there, won't we. :clap:>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

For the last 6 months roughly (maybe longer) it has been ES's job to go and pick up the newspaper from local shop at the weekend and during the holidays.

I was a bit surprised by his reaction I must admit because he was quite happy standing in queue with me .... it was only when I told him 'you can order it yourself' that he said 'No'.

I'm proud that he managed it and will be telling his Autistic Base Teacheer that he managed it after the holidays.

Now we have to teach him to use a bus and to use the washing machine - not sure which one he is less interested in.

Louise