David Matthew Baker

Who's up for a meetup?

As per the threads title who would be interested in a meet. Don't mind where. Just fancy something to look forward to and hope this will start a ball or balls rolling. Easter hols might be good for me or perhaps a bank holiday weekend. (If talking of travelling.) All ideas (might regret this) and interested participants welcome.

(Must learn this is a good method to block out pain but doesn't help me get to sleep. If anything now more awake. Alcohols not helped either. Head spinning. Opps!)

Yes. Still reeling from the disappointment of October meet which never happened (but I'll get over it) :lol: If its anywhere central JP & I will try & get there.

Any suggestions as to where would be easy for people to get to? Just don't say Birmingham. New Street station has been a nightmare everytime I've been there. ;) Never been on the correct platform yet.

Urgh!

I still have the occasional nightmare about that dreadful place. We were at boarding school in Devon, and family lived in Shropshire. The number of times as an unaccompanied, panicking 13 year old with a little sister in tow that I ran around that maze, trying to find out how to get to Shrewsbury. Carrying luggage, I hasten to add.

They changed the platforms regularly, sometimes it was 17a, sometimes 13b...

Not Birmingham!

How would Leeds or Manchester suite people? I know both of them have decent transport systems and are easy to get to on main roads. I also wondered about Nottingham or Leicester but I'm not sure how easy they are to get to. Annoyingly Birmingham is most central but as said it is a nightmare station.

I like Nottingham, it's got a castle!

And their railway line works...so far.

:o

It's how boy and I remember towns and cities, or consider them worthy of remembering. Needs a Castle or a Cathedral.

I like Nottingham, it's got a castle!

And their railway line works...so far.

No no no no no no no no no no no no, I've just escaped from those frozen wastelands - why on Earth would I want to return???????????? :lol::rolleyes:

Don't want to go back to Manchester either.

I like Leeds though. My great grandfather, and his dad, built large sections of it in the 19c. I have a soft spot for Leeds City Museum too, it was the first real museum I remember going to when I was 5. The ridiculous tap-dancing wolf mosaic is my fave, followed by the stuffed tiger.

I can get pretty much anywhere with enough notice. Getting time off work shouldn't be a problem with enough notice, except Easter week, but then the school holidays are AFTER Easter this year, are they not?

Even if we don't meet in Birmingham, many of us may well need to change at New Street anyway.

Actually this year different counties are having holidays at different times, I know this cus I teach in Staffordshire and my DD's are all at school in Derbyshire and we have completely different Easter hols this year

hte actual easter long weekend and associated bank holidays are the same but nothing other than that, it works out well for me cus mine are older so it means while they are on holiday im working (so they can do some housework) and while Im on holiday I get a wuiet house :) best of both worlds I reckon ;)

ooohhh i want to come too!!! :thumbs:

All are welcome. If people suggest dates when their free we'll see what magic we can weave.

Now for a little song:

Pinch me now I think I may be dreaming

G Am G

wake me up and let me see it's true

G Am G

everything I feel, just one day to be real

C G F G

seems like I'm finally coming through.

C G D

Shadows used to fall across my footsteps

G Am G

whispered voices telling me I'm wrong

G Am G

got them on the run, I'm walking in the sun

C G F G

I'm going back where I belong.

C G D

Chorus:

Some say that it never would, some say if it only could

G D F G

I'm doing what I know I should, feel it now, I believe it's coming good.

http://www.lindisfarne.de/songs/coming_good.txt

Edited by David Matthew Baker

How about Bristol

That would be an interesting one for me to get to. :D I think I'd have to overnight a couple of nights. Still happy to have any suggestions as even if I can't make a meet we might find a group of people who'd like to meetup somewhere and be able to organise that. There is no reason it just needs to be one meetup.

Time wise I'm fairly free. Have one evening in Feb. I'm seeing the Kodo drummers at the Sage though.

It might not be so bad David, the Edinburgh - Penzance train (which stops at Bristol) passes through Newcastle and Sheffield, so might go near to you. Only one overnight might be quite reasonable.

Oh, Bristol would be nice. Far but not too far and somewhere I've always wanted to go. Can we meet on the Clifton Suspension Bridge?? I have a bit of a thing for suspension bridges - especially ones that wobble more than an appropriate amount!! :lol: :lol:

A 4 and a half to 5 hour journey depending on train. I guess that is possible. You are right some trains go direct. I have caught trains a few times that would terminate at Bristol Templemeads. If there are a few interested in Bristol we can always organise one there and another somewhere more up North such as Leeds. That isn't much worse than my journey to Oxford was time wise. :)

Bristol is remarkably convenient for me, so I'm keen!

I'm quite willing to travel further, given enough notice.

I do need notice to get the time off work though, wherever we go.

Hmm. Under 4 hrs by train for me, dont think I'd drive it. Do-able. & I've always wanted to see Bristol but didnt think it was worth a w/e there, so yes, provisionally.

Um now that's even more tempting. Just remembered you can fly to Bristol from Newcastle on EasyJet. It looks like it would be between �12-20 each way but then it only takes an hour and a half. The airport is quite a way out of the centre though. I flew from there on the way back after my Grans funeral.

Pearl, you could always visit Bath or Wells from Bristol. There is also a Science-type museum in Bristol that is well worth a visit. There are all kinds of buttons to press and stuff.

I'd be travelling to Bristol by car, so I might be able to pick up from the airport. I expect there is a bus too.

I could also travel to Oxford. I've never been there. Fairly easy by car or train by the looks of things.

Um now that's even more tempting. Just remembered you can fly to Bristol from Newcastle on EasyJet. It looks like it would be between �12-20 each way but then it only takes an hour and a half. The airport is quite a way out of the centre though. I flew from there on the way back after my Grans funeral.

Those of us driving there (me included) could collect you from airport. Its on my way!

Pearl, you could always visit Bath or Wells from Bristol. There is also a Science-type museum in Bristol that is well worth a visit. There are all kinds of buttons to press and stuff.

I'd be travelling to Bristol by car, so I might be able to pick up from the airport. I expect there is a bus too.

I could also travel to Oxford. I've never been there. Fairly easy by car or train by the looks of things.

Ooh now that is tempting. Might make a weekend of it.

Pearl, you could always visit Bath

Ooh, yes. I forgot that the Northerns didn't yet have bathrooms of their own in their houses or hot running water to go with them. A trip to bath will allow you to remove all the spilt jaffa cake that must be building up to quite a crust. :P

Ooh, yes. I forgot that the Northerns didn't yet have bathrooms of their own in their houses or hot running water to go with them. A trip to bath will allow you to remove all the spilt jaffa cake that must be building up to quite a crust. :P

Shurrup you or you'll be doing an unplanned bungee jump off the Clifton Suspension Bridge :devil: