David Matthew Baker

Who's up for a meetup?

Shurrup you or you'll be doing an unplanned bungee jump off the Clifton Suspension Bridge :devil:

Is this the Pearl librarian version of 'sssssshhhhhhhhhh'?? :whistle:

Is this the Pearl librarian version of 'sssssshhhhhhhhhh'?? :whistle:

Aaah, you know me so well...

hey, the bungee jump could be another sponsoring opportunity! :D

I bet flozza put you up to that! :lol::lol:

I'm trully hurt :o:tearful:;):lol:

however :D SPLENDID SUGGESTION SUZE :thumbs:

SO....who's up for Oxford????? :D

Flozza XXX

Edited by Flora

Love Bristol, and know it quite well, it's 2 1/2 hours for me by car. They've got a lot of interesting stuff in the city, and of course, being a happy hippy, I know Glastonbury etc as well.

The Bristol YHA is in the middle of the city, on the waterfront near the Explore science museum.

Can't do third week of April, ending the 19th, because B and I will be in York.

Favourite city Oxford

Second York

Third London

Fourth Bristol

So I really can't lose! :groupwave::thumbs:

York is nice. So was Oxford. Number one on my list has always gone to where they say your heart is. My home city Durham. I like the fact it is a fairly quiet city and the Cathedral is wonderful. Just don't listen to Bill Bryson. I don't want anyone borrowing his car to come here. It would ruin it. Well if lots of people listened anyway. My mum's always complaining about the advertising they are doing for the North East. She says part of it's charm is because it is so quiet because people don't come here.

Here is one of the adverts:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tX9vUvLJRo

I would love to meet up with some of you. Leeds sounds great!!!!! as I'm only 20 mins away. but on a plus for everyone , transport is good and accomodation quite cheap if anyone wants to stay over!!!

Will it involve alcohol???? :cheers:

Gail

Ahem ... are you implying I is the forum lush?

I think I share that title with at least one other person, no names no pack drill but she has a confectionary related name ... ;):whistle:

What we do depends on what people want.

The North East ones have tended to be a meal as a group at the Frankie and Bennies in Newcastle and yes people did drink.

The Edinburgh one was similar but in a pub on the outskirts. Some drank, some didn't. Mainly due to transport related issues and having to drive back south.

The Oxford one we had a picnic in the park and a walk around Oxford. The covered market seemed to be a very popular place to look at.

The Greenwich one was again a picnic in the park. At this one we had the largest meet I've been to and also had some members children in attendance too.

Basically we so who is interested. Where and when they can make it and then talk things through to decide what is best from there. Personally I have enjoyed all of them but they have all been very different. Greenwich I know quite a few people want a repeat performance of.

As for drinking I've had a bit tonight. Couple of glasses of mulled wine then some red after shock (cinamon), followed by some black after shock (black current) and finally some absinthe (aniseed). Unfortunatally it does nothing for my spelling or apparently judging by tonight my back. So cheers to anyone drinking tonight. :cheers::drunk::wine::wine:

I couldn't decide what I fancied and neither could my friend so we had a little of everything. Using estimated measures too. We weren't very accurate on the red aftershock and my friend complained I was drinking slowly. Don't drink very often but can handle it fairly well if I do. Can't ever remember having a hang over. I can say that I have only drank way too much once. I say that as there is a large part of the journey home blank. I remember one of the others making me promise I'd get a taxi home and paying for it and part of the taxi ride home. What happened when I arrived in I've no idea though. Both me and a friend ended up bad that night. We think the problem was we were with some of the exec. who weren't drinking and the two across from us went round gathering wine people hadn't drank. Dread to think how much I had that night. Never want to do it again though. Trying to get some people to go out next Friday for a couple of drinks in Durham. Not been out for a while (its not really my sort of thing) and fancy it (this is very very rare) for some reason.

MORNING DAVID!!!!!!! :devil:

PEARL!!!!!!! You're sooo mean. I'm surprised you haven't been around to his house with your hoover and a blender to make him a smoothie!!! :lol::P

Greenwich I know quite a few people want a repeat performance of.

How does the 12th July - that's the Saturday (yes it's a Saturday, Hev :P) nearest Bastille Day - sound for a repeat performance? Perhaps put it as a provisional date for now because I guess not many people know what they are doing then, and I'll start a thread much closer to the time. We need 32 people to come this time to beat last year's meetup in terms of numbers . . . And no burning down historic monuments this time :shame:

PEARL!!!!!!! You're sooo mean. I'm surprised you haven't been around to his house with your hoover and a blender to make him a smoothie!!! :lol::P

How does the 12th July - that's the Saturday (yes it's a Saturday, Hev :P) nearest Bastille Day - sound for a repeat performance? Perhaps put it as a provisional date for now because I guess not many people know what they are doing then, and I'll start a thread much closer to the time. We need 32 people to come this time to beat last year's meetup in terms of numbers . . . And no burning down historic monuments this time :shame:

12th July Greenwich sounds good to me. If my mum is still living in London I could stop at her place for a few days. Will drag my friend along as well.

12th July Greenwich sounds good to me. If my mum is still living in London I could stop at her place for a few days. Will drag my friend along as well.

Great! The more the merrier :gather:

I won't detract from David's thread anymore - I'll start a Greenwich one nearer the time - just wanted to suggest a possible date to get people thinking :)

We'd love to be able to make another Greenwich meet up. Really enjoyed the last one, and it was a shame we couldn't stay longer, and didn't manage to explore it properly. If anyone knows of anywhere to stay that's rat free, please let us know :lol:

With regards to the Bristol/Oxford/Leeds/Manchester one.........can't say yet, until a place is definately decided, and I can judge if I'll be able to make it or not. I'll keep popping back on this thread, and let you know nearer the time :D

JP & I might be up for Greenwich, its somewhere we've never visited but always wanted to, & we could do an overnight.

Yippee!! Dances round happily :dance::partytime:

Sorry David - didn't mean to take over your thread :oops: Didn't want to start a new one yet, because that would be seriously advanced planning, even for me!!! (But if peeps could keep the 12th July or other surrounding Saturdays free, that would be great :P)

I could do Oxford. I was far to wimpish to manage it last time, but I'd def. try and make it this time if you did Oxford again.

~ Mel ~

I could do Oxford. I was far to wimpish to manage it last time, but I'd def. try and make it this time if you did Oxford again.

~ Mel ~

Maybe you could make Greenwich, I'd meet you at Paddington, or Victoria if you needed a guide. Just carry a stuffed fish, or glue a snail to your hat for identification purposes, and we'd be fine.

No pressure, just a thought.

Edited by Bard

Hehe, nice thought, Bard, thanks for that. :) I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those Spongebob teeshirts, have you seen them? They just have a picture of the snail from the programme on them and it's says 'have you seen this snail'. I'd wear that on the day! :P

I grew up in South London and Greenwich was where we spent our hideous Boxing Day with the in-laws! :o:wacko:

~ Mel ~

Greenwich sounds great - enjoyed the last one, (when we met on the only summer's day in 2007). :thumbs: I'm really sorry I jinxed the Cutty Sark last year - I won't mention any other prominent landmark on this thread!

Could do Oxford too. :)

K x

Edited by Kathryn

we met on the only summer's day in 2007

You write as though this was pure chance. I've have you know I'd studied weather patterns over the years before hand to ensure sun on that day and sublimilly written messages into the thread to make sure everyone thought the 14th was a great date! :hypno:

I'm really sorry I jinxed the Cutty Sark last year - I won't mention any other prominent landmark on this thread!

Well you could mention one hill, reducing our chances of taking the wrong one next year!! :rolleyes: Anyway, I thought that someone else specifically said they didn't like ships!!! :unsure:

You write as though this was pure chance. I've have you know I'd studied weather patterns over the years before hand to ensure sun on that day and sublimilly written messages into the thread to make sure everyone thought the 14th was a great date! :hypno:

Well we'll be expecting the same next time, Mumble - so get your weather maps out and tell us whether 12th July will be good. :D

Only 12 hours of unbroken sunshine will do - but not too hot: we don't want people to exhaust themselves climbing. :)

K x

I was up by ten and was fine thanks. Now should really be getting to bed. Looked at forum on phone and decided to locate some more clips for the busy cartoon thread.

As for taking over the thread I don't mind. I put this upto try and get us started on organising some more meetups. Sounds a good idea. I'll update my mum's calendar (we share one but she uses it most and it technically belongs to her) tomorrow. So is it the bow of the BOW again. ;)

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I'll come to Greenwhich if the timing is right. Have we got a date suggested?

Ben is dying to go to London, and he likes Greenwich so it will be a good excuse to go.

Flora X

I'll come to Greenwhich if the timing is right. Have we got a date suggested?

12th July. It's a Saturday. We went on the 14th July last year and it seemed to work, so I picked the date nearest Bastille Day again. I wasn't going to start a thread, because it's far too early, but maybe I will - forward planning and all that . . . :lol:

Looks like we have Greenwich on the event calendar again. Yippee!!! Now to get this thread moving again. Who was interested in a Central Meet? I know if people quote the next part of the message we can get people to sign up under any thing they are interested in. Actually I'll make it another post to keep things easy.

Interested in coming to a meetup. Add your name under the correct area below to indicate interest. (Feel free to add other categories if I miss anything.)

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

Oxford

Central

Scotland

Wales

Interested in coming to a meetup. Add your name under the correct area below to indicate interest. (Feel free to add other categories if I miss anything.)

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

Oxford

Bard definitely

Central

Bard poss

Scotland

Wales

I'm not avoiding you on purpose DMB!

Edited by Bard

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

Oxford

Bard definitely

Mumble poss

Central

Bard poss

Mumble poss

South West (Bristol/Bath?)

Mumble poss

Scotland

Mumble poss with lots and lots of notice - how about halfway up Ben Nevis?

Wales

Mumble Maybe - Top of Snowdon?

Outer Hebrides

Mumble definitely

Somewhere snowy

Mumble definitely

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

Oxford

Bard definitely

Mumble poss

Central

Bard poss

Mumble poss

Mumble poss

Kateball

Scotland

Wales

Outer Hebrides

Mumble definitely

Somewhere snowy

Mumble definitely

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

loobylou2

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

loobylou2

Oxford

Bard definitely

Mumble poss

Central

Bard poss

Mumble poss

Mumble poss

Kateball

Scotland

Wales

Outer Hebrides

Mumble definitely

Somewhere snowy

Mumble definitely

North East (Newcastle?)

DavidMBaker

Cumbria

DavidMBaker

Oxford

Tally

Central

Tally

Scotland

Wales

Tally possible, especially if South Wales

I'm not avoiding you on purpose DMB!

I'd be a possible for any elsewhere in the country. Just didn't see much point in writing it in all of them. Did mean to include that at the bottom of my post however.

I see Oxford is still very popular. Will leave it a little longer and see what others think. The last Oxford meet (I assume the one I came to was the last one) was very good. We all had a nice walk and a picnic in the park.